FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PC Power up failure

bassgs_17
Help! I built my own pc from scratch, had it booted up for 15 min, went to adjust some jumpers, and now it won't even power on! I removed all unneccesary stuff, got it to power on once, but now it refuses to do anything.
e-mail me if you have any advice,
-Aquastrike
djclue917
Please be more specific in your description of the problem. And please, elaborate more so that we could have a better grasp of the problem that you are experiencing. Smile
winnipeg
hi can you explain more please, it will be great for help you Wink
ocalhoun
Whatever you did with those jumpers, undo it!
NOW!
Then try it agian.
djclue917
I just read your post very carefully. Smile
You overclocked your CPU/Memory speed didn't you? Is that right?

Anyways, I hoped that you read your motherboard manual. Be sure to set the jumpers correctly... If you're not really sure of what you did. Undo it now and don't even try booting your PC again if you haven't undid those changes yet...

Hope that helps... Smile
Donutey
I doubt it was overclocking as boards haven't required changing jumpers to adjust cpu speed for a long time.. (you can do it within BIOS)

More information would be helpful.
1) Does the board boot (ie. beep once)?
2) Or does it not load the OS?

Reverse whatever you did with the jumpers, then take out the BIOS battery for a count of 15, then put it back it, reboot, and the computer should work...
longjack
If you removed any cards or memory to change the jumpers, make sure they are all seated properly, and in the correct slots if applicable.

Do you know the power supply is good, and is that connector seated properly?

What motherboard and what jumpers did you change? We can probably look the info up once we know it.

longjack
pjv
While adjusting some jumper setting, you might have unintentionally moved some power connections. Check that all the cables are connected properly. Check your power supply, it might be busted.
KHO
Now here is a fun question, where you grounded before you touched anything? Or did you see this little blue spark when you touched some metal? lf you saw this little light, then send whatever it was against back to the manufacturer and make up a damn good excuse why it doesn't work (not that you touched it withought grounding yourself though Neutral).

Otherwise, undue whatever you did with the jumpers, take out the BIOS battery (looks exactly like a watch battery, and should be the only battery in there) if you smell some smoke on it while doing this, then you fried something, that would suck Neutral, but if not, and you don't see a big melted spot on anything then you shouldn't be too bad off, put the BIOS battery back in after about 15 seconds, then try and boot again, if you don't even get the first beep telling you that the motherboard was powered up, then try another power supply Neutral.
djclue917
Donutey wrote:
I doubt it was overclocking as boards haven't required changing jumpers to adjust cpu speed for a long time.. (you can do it within BIOS)

More information would be helpful.
1) Does the board boot (ie. beep once)?
2) Or does it not load the OS?

Reverse whatever you did with the jumpers, then take out the BIOS battery for a count of 15, then put it back it, reboot, and the computer should work...

No. In fact, some do... Just like my mobo back at home... When I overclocked my PC back then, it didn't boot because of the wrong settings. I had to reset the BIOS settings and put the jumpers back to their original positions.
bassgs_17
Stop, stop!! I complain about power on failure, and everyone thinks Ahh, Overclocking!!

No, I did not overclock my system, nor zap anything with static. It turns out that I had a faulty power supply; my new and improved one, provided free of charge from my case manufacturer, arrives monday.

Sorry about getting you guys in a panic...

-Aquastrike
bassgs_17
By the way, my system would not even POWER ON, so that should reduce the confusion.

Here are my component stats: (new, although on the cheap side)
512 MB DDR 3200
2.93 Ghz Celeron D 340
128 GeForce MX 4000
80 GB HDD
Powmax 2526 Case
MSI PM8M-V Mobo
DVD +- R/RW Burner
-Aquastrike
InjunMick
sounded like PS to me as I was reading, glad it working out for you, just a suggestion though, add another stick of DDR, you'll be glad you did.

InjunMick
savabg
Hah you should have told us that it wouldn't start at all ( no lights no anything) .... From your post i thought that the power supply worked : )
bassgs_17
Thanks guys, and I will definitely up my ram to at least 1 gig, as I need the space.
-Aquastrike