FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

POCKET LINUX : NEARLY TOO EASY

blueway
Why pocketlinux?

Perhaps you wonder why you should use pocketlinux and not Debian, SuSE, Mandriva, RedHat or any other linux distribution. First of all we are glad if you use ANY form of linux but we would be REALLY HAPPY if you use our linux distribution.

pocketlinux has a different approach than most other distributions. We want to build up a version of linux you can count on and you can do your daily work with.

In the past 10 years in computer business I have noticed that most users only need a few applications (e.g. a texteditor, a spreadsheet, a browser or an email client). Current Desktop Environemnts like KDE offer a lot more. But can you tell me WHO really needs 3 different texteditors? So we slimmed it all down a bit. And thatīs what pocketlinux is about. We do not offer any administration frontends for deep system tweaks, as we think a "normal" user should not touch these things. Experienced Users can use the on board administration tools that come with the Slackware core. (Of course, if you really want to change any hardware specific settings like your monitor resolution, feel free to ask someone in the forum).

We only offer 1 application per task, so there is only one texteditor visible for the end user. (Please note that the kde-light environment is based on a complete KDE version, so most of the KDE application are onboard, too. But they are not visible to the end user per default.)

But back to history. Of course we have not invented the wheel once again, but we try to make existing things a bit smarter. A few years ago, we decided to build up a debian woody based version of linux and called it "Bonzai Linux". It was build to fit on a 180 MB mini-cd and came with a well-tested version of KDE.

Then, the debian team had the "great idea" to rewrite the complete installer. Itīs called debian-installer right now and has blown up to +30000 lines of code. We think that itīs no real step forward in comparison with the old debian boot-floppies. We also think that itīs harder to handle for the end-user than the old installer (Have you ever tried to install d-i in expert mode Wink

So we took a look at other installers and noticed the "shell script"-based Slackware installer. The only thing we do not like about it is that itīs not i18n-able. So we took some time to customize the installer to be able to write back a complete tar archive on nearly any harddrive. We added i18n support (English and German right now. We are still looking for translators) and modified the kernel installation.

We now use this way to install pocketlinux.

HAVE A TRY
thiamshui
that's a direct copy and paste.. LOL.. looks like u're a new member.. u shld use the [quote] tags..

this looks like an OS bootable from a CD.. interesting.. Try Knoppix too.. it's rather gd too..
kansloos
Thx, trying downloading now...
desertwind
Damn Small Linux [~50 MB], Puppy Linux [~60 MB] and SLAX [~180 MB] are the best Small LiveCD/Thumb Drive distros.

Considering a full fledge LiveCD will direct you to Ubuntu/Kubuntu or KNOPPIX/GNOPPIX.