FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computers at school

LandShark
Hey, right now i just finished my first of 4 finals test and the teacher really doesnt care what we do, so right now im at school posting this. Anyways i was wondering are people able to use computers at school? Do your schools even have computers?
deeblue
4 sure we have. i think every school has computers . We live in the 21th century ! Shocked
LandShark
No way does every school have computers. Right here in america alot of schools dont have them. Sure they are all in the projects(at least im guessing) but there are srill lots with out computers
pawelsz
My school have computers. There are 3 computer rooms, about 15 computers in each. I don't have computer lessons yet (I'll have it when I go to next class Mr. Green) but I know the computer rooms well Smile
LandShark
Is that supposed to be an insult to America? How about this? Dont be a biased idiot speeking out against stuff he doesnt know. Hardly any schools in america actually have vedning machines(all mainly high schools too)and there are laws against having actual "cola" as you called it in them. It cant be pop. It has to be fruit drinks or sport drinks. No pop allowed =)

EDIT: also what country do yuo live in?
ocalhoun
That's the only place I ever use the internet...
I avoid dial-up at all costs!
SunburnedCactus
It's why I love uni. 10Mbps LAN connection direct to my room! Bit of a major distraction though. Cool
LandShark
Major distractions are good though =)
pll
computers are so great tools for a school !!!!!!
But when the people try to destroy the keyboard or hit the screen... etc... its bad.
Steb2424
We've got computers at school (iMacs Confused) but so many people were "misusing" them, the school reported the offenders to the police and now our access in monitored and specific websites are blocked eg. Rotten.com, Kontraband.com etc.
And the school's broadband is shared with two other schools Confused, connections of 75KBps are not unheard of Evil or Very Mad lol
LandShark
If you are stupid and destroy the exterior of the computers, then you deserve to be shot. Now messing around with the inside. . . Another story. Since me and my friends dont like microsoft we reformatted a few school computers and put linux on them. Well since the tech guys were too stupid to figure out how to remove linux, they just sent it in to get a replacement. Fun day. Ive also deleted the whole filter system from computers. Teachers can never figure it out though =)
erlendhg
We are not having access to computers on my school Sad

I'm sad... Boo hoo!
Billwaa
Well, my school is awesome. More than 500 computer I will say, and it's only a high school. All computer are super fast and high tech. All of them you can play Battlefield 2, doesn't mean you allow to, but it's good enough to play. Some student even install Quake 4 in their account. It's like CyberZone when everyone is playing the game online.
argentum-inn
Well my kid's school is completely wired, including wireless networking for those with notebooks. No, not every school has computers, but by far the vast majority do.

I'm in the computer reselling business and sell a lot of computers to schools and it seems they all know the value of being connected to the net now.
joshua_erceg
My school has 6 computer rooms, there are around 15 computers in each Very Happy
ocalhoun
Supposing your entire school shares say, a T1 line, then here's a lovely trick.
Somehow, gain the ability to use the school computers before or after normal school hours. You'll find that you have the entire T1 of bandwidth (or as much of it as your network card can handle). Very fast!
lisa33144
My high school had computers. I took a class in Visual Basic and also had to tak Intro to Computers during my freshman years. I had to take Computer Basics classes in middle school too. In college, most people have laptops but there are still a good deal of computer clusters.
xorcist
We have like 50 something computer in the library and they on DSL and some of them are on a wireless connection. And hen there like 20 computer class's and business class's with at least 40 computers in it. And we have a tech room with like 60 computer in there. We proberly got more more but I dont really care. We have a brand new school so we have all these new things that no other schools has. We have some computer that connectes to a rapid prototyper and we can design and then have it make it. Schools spent so much money on computers and technology and everything else in schools.
hofer
My school has a computer lab with 50 computers, but we don´t use it a lot.
gonzo
LandShark wrote:
even have computers?

I take my laptop to class.
KHO
deeblue wrote:
hhahahaha take it easy , drink some beer ,
im from "cruel" germany
Germans Neutral ya, insult America for their soda, you invented beer Neutral Now how frikin stupid is that?! And by the way, even if all of our schools don't have computers, most of them do, alot of the new schools don't, and the ones in the slums, thats really it Neutral. And, we are further along technologically than you are Neutral
soulman
a school should have one or more computer lab... students need it...
Soulfire
Our school has *many* computers. They do have censorship blocks on them, but it is easy to get around them.

To go to websites that I want to go to I either:
1) Use the .co.uk version (our school is too stupid to block those)
2) Use attackcensorship.com. The school keeps trying to block that, but it overrides the block (you can use it to override any censor).

It's really quite easy.
psycosquirrel
I use a computer in school for about 2 hours each day.
Marston
LandShark wrote:
Hey, right now i just finished my first of 4 finals test and the teacher really doesnt care what we do, so right now im at school posting this. Anyways i was wondering are people able to use computers at school? Do your schools even have computers?
Ahaha, we have about 50 high-end Dell PC's at our school, and about 70 iMac G4's.

By the way, I'm at a public school Wink.
s43ros
does my school have computers. Well we have a few labs full of dells running XP Professional, most rooms have 1 or 2 gateways running 98. Our Library is also a public library with about 20-30 dells running XP Prof. And one thing I didn't know is that our journalism room has about ten Macs setup in there.

As for use, some classes are based on the use of them.
Blaster
Yea my computer teacher rocks! We used to do all this creap before the school blocked all these sites.
LandShark
yah in the room i was in(supposed to be studing right now for english =) ) we have 20 computers. Most rooms have at least 10 all rooms have at least 1. We have 4 computer labs all with 40 in them. The library has i think 50. It has a wireless network and a T1 line.
jeopardy98
LandShark wrote:
Is that supposed to be an insult to America? How about this? Dont be a biased idiot speeking out against stuff he doesnt know. Hardly any schools in america actually have vedning machines(all mainly high schools too)and there are laws against having actual "cola" as you called it in them. It cant be pop. It has to be fruit drinks or sport drinks. No pop allowed =)

I have to disagree with you here. I teach in a middle school and we have plenty of vending machines and they all have "cola" in them. Coca-Cola to be exact. They also have Sprite and Mr. Pibb. Even the elementary schools have vending machines with actual cola in them. However we also have 1 computer for ever 4 students in the entire county. I would highly disagree with having vending machines without computers, but I could see why it would be done. Vending machines only cost the student's money, not the school. The companies will gladly give a portion of their profits from said machine to the school in exchange for the ability to put the machines in the school.
KHO
The whole "COLA" thing is state to state, currently New Mexico is even working on banning vending machines selling anything of a sugar based substance Neutral. lt basically happens once the Governor decides that the whole state has become too fat (to put it bluntly Neutral) Neutral
madsencarl
My school has laptops Very Happy No points for guessing how much schoolwork gets done.
blackheart
yep - my school's a laptop school - so there are like 400 laptops ontop of the 100 computers the school owns in itself

(and for the first time ever i have to agree with the person in the above post)

Twisted Evil

=> Jess Black
themeterman
The computers we had for our GCSEs in 1992 were absolute rubbish!! They were really old all in one things with green screens and a huge on/off switch at the front. I'm amazed I passed my Computer Studies GCSE on them!
lockwolf
There are 2 uses for our computers at school, Work and Counter-Strike. Work as in we are forced to do Work all day and Counter-Strike as in I just installed Counter-Strike on the computer that the teacher can only see if she walks over and stands directly over my sholders when I'm playing (it gives me enough time to alt-tab out). But the problem is my teacher doesn't want me playing games durring that period (I'm a TA that period) unless I have done all my homework (which is never), about half the class that period can see my screen so it kinda sux, its hard to get away with it (I cant even get away with playing Doom on a screen about 1/4 of the size of this postbox).
justmooit
at my school they give everyone laptops but i find that i spend too much time on it and im up everynight with my face glued to the screen because of homework. I would rather use the <old fashioned> way with pen and paper
mota
There are about 100 PCs at my school, though they are all very old-version
ColourHouse
At My college, and with many schools that i know of end up having a lease with dell for maybe two years

so right now in the Music editing room we have a large set of computers with the spec for cubase sx3 and so on, and same with different rooms. it works, but it would work better if the college had any clue how to use the computers and keep them running

but theres about 80 computers in the library, 60 in the music editing room, 30 in a second music editing room, two large computer labs, and god knows how many there are in the other things such as art labs, media labs (i know they have macs but i dont know how many) and then theres two more campuses doing more work! (maybe its overkill but everyone uses it)

anyway at the end of these leases they just send it back, and get a new computer with the same specs plus whatever changes needed for new software
sibbahz
My school/6th form college has around 6computer labs, mostly with windows xp pro machines, and one with windows 2000 machines (upgraded from 98 by an ict tech who got annoyed with people installing pirated unreal tournament on the network using 98 )
We also have around 6 sets of laptops, around 20 in a set all using a wireless network that covers most of the site through wireless access points in most classrooms and some corridors.
dimensionsloch
Here in Germany, nearly every school has ps's. Even my quondam primary school has pc's.
izcool
Every school that I attended had computers available to students.

The first 3 schools that I went to, we used Apple Macintosh computers. The last two schools of those 3 upgraded to the Green iMac's when they came out in 1998. The last one of those 3 upgraded (again) to the white flat-screen iMac's later on.

The 2 schools I attended at (one that I'm still attending) after that use Windows-based computers. The first school of those 2 used a lot of Dell OptiPlex machines (GX110 and GX240) which ran on Windows 2000 Professional with Novell software installed for every individual student account. I had multiple logins for different classes, with access to different programs in each. It just depended on what computer I was logging on from on what programs were available. They had laptop computers in a cart with wireless internet for the English classes to type up papers, which all ran on batteries. Pretty cool. Very Happy

The school that I'm attending now has computers based on Windows 95, 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows XP SP2. The only computers that I know of that run on Windows 95 are the laptops that teachers can check out from at the library (which are ancient, just to let you know, as I'm a volunteer for the library). They have Compaq DeskPro's (Pentium 2 and Pentium 3) that are running on Windows 98SE. The newer computers run on either Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP SP2. A couple of years ago, they bought from a computer store where they put them together, instead of buying from a place like Dell, Compaq, or HP. Those computers run on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processors (not too sure on what speed). Over the summer, they bought more computers from that same computer store (also assembled by them) where they feature Intel Pentium 4 processors and CD-RW drives. About a year ago, part of the library funding went to buying new computers for the new library (which is still being built at the time being, planning on to be finished soon) on Dell OptiPlex 170L (I believe) computers that have Intel Celeron processors and 15" flat-panel LCD monitors. All the other computers in the school use 15" CRT flat-screen monitors by CTX. I've been in the school's server room when I was told to get some computers for the library, and it's an amazing place. I drawn up the view of it when I was talking to a friend of mine, which I'm willing to post here. I think my school is rich to buy such computers and to push out the older ones quite quickly. This school went upon a huge update to the network where they had to create user accounts for every individual student, last year and the years before that, they had universal user logins. My school uses a software program called LANSchool Student, which is a program where they can monitor what you're doing, block out the Internet (doesn't work that good), and other such things. On the teacher's computer, as I've seen, there's a grid on every computer in the lab for him/her to monitor when we're supposed to be doing our work.

View of what my current school's server room looks like :

- Mike.
Pikokola
Yup my school does, eventhough it's just a "lame" computer (P4 with 128mbs of ram, integrated VGA card, sound card integrated too and many more XD) but it's connected into internet,

And I can use it FREE Smile anytime - even in the midnight, since i've administrating my school website for 1 years, count it as the payment I think Very Happy
Pablo Diablo
At what level of schooling are you talking about?

Elementary school? Secondary School? College? University?.... ETC.

I went to college in Hamilton, Ontario and every classroom had computers for use to use, laptop's we could borrow for free, etc.
cjtreid
We all have like 3 lessons a week on the comouters

The school has about 125 but they're all rubbish
Ultima1080
Holy crap my college has more computers than I can freakin count. Every dorm has at least one computer lab that has anywhere from 15-30 computers each. We also have wireless over the majority of campus. Somewhere or another we have some bigass super computer thing that we all have access to remotely...its pretty cool actually...gotta love something that can process god knows how many commands at once Very Happy. On a side note, if you want to look it up, its called Red Diamond...its like world renown or something...pretty cool stuff.

Also, this is towards current/former college students. How many of you guys/gals have to use a network program called "SmartEnforcer" to log on to your network? Unforutnately, I have to deal with it and it does seem to slow some web pages down. Though, I still download files at like 900kb/s...just wondering if any of you out there have the same problem with SE.
Loathing in Fear
At my public school, we have approximatly 150 compters (5 computer rooms) You can go on the internet whenever you want, and you can dowdnload stuff, if you ask permission to a teacher Wink (My School Rocks Very Happy)
Donutey
Lots 'o IBMs 1.4Ghz P III desktops a Mac lab, and two labs with recent P4s.
25 computers in each lab, and i think 8 labs at my school ~1500 people, and a computer in every classroom.

and vending machines with pop, and milk (they turned off the lights in the machines to save money on electricity, which is almost a joke because they used to leave the computers on 24/7 ) Rolling Eyes

The only thing I don't like is that on the IBM machines many, many sites are blocked that have no reason to be blocked, such as various product review websites and news websites.
Dragate
I go to Sir Robert Borden High School (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada). And sure, we have computers... a lot... a lot of crappy computers =P. We have mostly old IBMs and the internet has just a bunch of blocked sites everywhere... If there is just some profane words or some other wierd pictures, the whole site gets blocked... w.e It's still pretty cool to have computers at school seeing as not ALL the sites are blocked
XSTG
In our school we have 4 rooms of 32 computers each.
Gates
Yeah we have computers at my school. im actualy in a computer class 5/6 hr its really fun. I made me website there Razz
alkady
Trust me, Althrogh there are filters, Alot of students go on google and type innappropriate content in the image section and look a mature pictures. Many play this game called Runescape or some free MMORPG or some free flash game. Some even go as far as play Neopets which is odd for someone that is in high school. But what can you expect.
tefa_taftaf2010
Quote:
4 sure we have. i think every school has computers . We live in the 21th century !

i'm with you but there is some countries not use computers in the schools
whatever
we also have computers in our schools
we studied it from kg Wink Wink
nice topic and thanks
muzikashqip
yea man we got computers in schools. we got regular nd laptops nd stuff. i mean my school isnt rich or anythin but they not bad u kno theres some real bad schools outhere that dunt even have good classroms so i doint mind the coomputers that much nd i dunt use em that much either. but yea we have computers nd we can use them.
flashmoto
Usually, it depends on the class.

Schools do have computers but not in everyclass. If you are taking a computer class, you need to use a computer. In this case there would be a computer in the room or the computer lab. If you are in someother class that you don't need a computer for, you may not have it. Very Happy
LandShark
jeopardy98 wrote:
LandShark wrote:

I have to disagree with you here. I teach in a middle school and we have plenty of vending machines and they all have "cola" in them. Coca-Cola to be exact. They also have Sprite and Mr. Pibb. Even the elementary schools have vending machines with actual cola in them. However we also have 1 computer for ever 4 students in the entire county. I would highly disagree with having vending machines without computers, but I could see why it would be done. Vending machines only cost the student's money, not the school. The companies will gladly give a portion of their profits from said machine to the school in exchange for the ability to put the machines in the school.

What state do you teach in. They are no colas sold in here. The "worst" thing they sell is either hawaiian punch of pink lemonade. I dont know what to tell you. They do have vending machines with candies in them, though.

EDIT: and a quick note to those with filters on their comps, if yuo go to dnsstuff.com and type in the website at the correct location, they will give you an ip address for the website, now instead of just giving up there, use the ip address and you can now access the site. (Please note that i do not suggest you use this because you might get in trouble. Im just throwing it out there for purposes which i dont know Very Happy)
diverden
I am a teacher and computer director for a school district in Pa. I convinced the board to get rid of the Macs we had so we could buy real computers and also to move computers into the classrooms. We have 4-8 computers in every classroom from K-8 and 4-6 computers in the HS classrooms We do not have labs since we moved the lab computers into the classrooms. Included in this is a laptop that every teacher has for their use but also as a workstation in their classroom for the students.
ClearDistortion
Wow, that sounds like a great thing! I remember being in Elementary school and using Macs, I hated them then! Now I want one for myself, they've gotten so much better!! I would gladly buy a Mac now, but not back then. I wanted nothing to do with them. Schools should have PC's though, because they are the common thing nowadays and we don't want to teach the children how to use a mac when they're not gonna be using a mac as much as they're gonna use a PC.
denggi
My high school had better computers than the ones I had in college till recently. College library has some okay PCs. But the other computer labs are running freaking old ones. Prob 300mhz pentiums, 16 megs RAM i think...
MWANGI
LandShark wrote:

Yeah for sure. But they are all pentium IIIso slow so what's the use.

They are also very few so you have to wait in line or use them during your lunch break which is not very nice especially If you have an appetite like mine.

I think they should introduce more
Idea
ChrisCh
my school has computers, more than 100 in fact! the school made every student a local administrator, so thay they could use their own programs etc... they have a program that restores the computers to the original state every time they are booted so no worries about users stuffing up windows or viruses or anything! pretty sweet...
Pistol
My school has like 20comp in library and 3 computer rooms
they really should clean the keyboard and the mouse. Some of the mouse doesnt even work!!!!! Atleast internet is fast though in my school
lovect
ohh well at my school in sydney, everyone from year five up needs to get a laptop =D. so everyone that goes to my skool, including teachers needs a laptop. & we've also got a few computer rooms. my school is like some techonolgy based kinda place.

the internets pretty fast too but then we cant download things because they moniter what we do with a password & username log in thing =X

its kinda good cause then we get to type work up instead of writing it but then its a gianormous distraction =\
ivanhoe
My schools have pretty much always had computers. In elementary it was pretty much to play educational games such as Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and eventually it worked up towards making presentations on Powerpoint and surfing the internet for "research". 5 years ago, my high school even started renting out laptops that were wifi enabled and would let us borrow them when we went on school sponsored trips. They blocked hotmail before though, so we had to sign up at the weirdest email services. hehe
mtoni
ah yes we have them.. lots of them..

we have 5 rows of tables and at each table there are 8 computers.
40 computers for the whole school (homework etc.)
We also have a special room for computers. This one is used for teaching and stuff. Around 30 I think. They're all DELL :s
lukeropro
In my school, we have around 5 computer rooms which we call computer labs and there are around 40 computers in each one. We can access it anytime as long as it doesn't disrupt lessons, we're not allowed to play games though. Sad They're all HP computers and are all with LCD screens. There are some old computers in the library for projects(Windows 98 ). Smile

BTW, I'm from singapore
greywanderer
From my experiences of universities in the U.S., it seems generally public universities have fewer computer resources with more rules, fees, etc., while private schools computer resources are more abundant and worry-free. At the university I studied last (a private liberal arts university) you could print a book in the computer centeer, completely "free" (aside from the enormous tuition that is)

At my California high school in 1997 there were only computers for the computer science class. Even the word processing class had ancient typewriters. But then in those days we wrote papers with pen and paper.
valkyrie-heavens
We have computers at my school... and lots of them. We just arent supposed to be on instant messengers... although people do it anyways after the school when they are waiting for their buses...
thiamshui
of cos there are computers... but there are terrible restrictions everywhere though.. n certain websites such as music downloads and games are blocked by the Ministry of Education's proxy server too..
Panthrowzay
JMARSHALL.com builds proxyies, so i have a host no on frihoster but http://omnis.c-f-h.com fo host some for me. That crappy thing only gives me one MYSQL so i love it her and wont break any rules or indanger my school mates on this hoster, so I use the CFH hosting (pieace of !!!!) so i use this host with a php cms to help out proxy searching, and geat a good grade for my coding classes!
Tomppe
We got some computers at school. 12 computers that we can use when we want, really bad computer but working. 11 Laptops for classroom using. And 2 little better computers for media etc.
karysky
I'm in university studying Electrical Engineering...

We have no choice but to have computers ! That's our main resource.

I have a laptop and I always take it with me, wherever I go. I have it in class, in the cafeteria, on the bus....

I couldn't live without a computer!
XxGunner
Well my school has computers and we could use them. But most of them are like pentiums ones but they still get the job done for forum posting lol. But we do have one computer lab in my school where all the compiters are Dell Pentium 4's which is great. But we arent allowed to play games on them but still some people install games and the Co-op teacher in there doesnt even care lol. Its pretty fun in there too, but im mostly outside playing soccer lol. So yeah, thats all for my school.
wumingsden
LandShark wrote:
If you are stupid and destroy the exterior of the computers, then you deserve to be shot. Now messing around with the inside. . . Another story. Since me and my friends dont like microsoft we reformatted a few school computers and put linux on them. Well since the tech guys were too stupid to figure out how to remove linux, they just sent it in to get a replacement. Fun day. Ive also deleted the whole filter system from computers. Teachers can never figure it out though =)

I am this at you: "Dont be a biased idiot speeking out against stuff he doesnt know." Sounds familiar doesn't it? Nobody "derserves" to be shot unless they've knowingly shot somebody else in my opinion

Anyways, at my school we have five computer rooms which each have at least 25 computers in each. At least 1/10 classrooms have three PC's each too. Every teacher has their own laptop which connects to the balckboard so basically there is a lot of technology around. We are allowed to take out laptops although we have to "sign-them-out"

The second-most school nearer to me though is hugely different. Everybody has their own laptop, including the students. They all do their work on these laptops which i don't think is very educating at all.

P.S I live in England, (and also to *Shark, its a fact that America is the most unhealthiest country in the world so the person who's opinion you tried to extinguish didn't go at all well). Very Happy
Scanner771
The school i went to had what it seamed like an unlimited amount of computers, some class every student got a laptop, at the school I went to we had 15 computer labs with 30 computers in each. I use to all was be in our Tv studio and they have 12 G5 with Final Cut pro 5, a 3.5TB video Server, and one 17" PowerBook for on site editing, and there are 2 pc for the live CG and one for the promters.
Arnie
Our school just got a new computer room installed. They're pretty fast and have a good network too. The teacher can instantly send and receive files, control computers individually or collectively, and even use an electronical whiteboard. Very impressive and it works great. Too bad we had to use mspaint to do equasions, rofl.

A lot of old computers are being discarded and I got a deal with the manager. Now I can freely browse the pile and take any part I want home. Very Happy
Jaiye
Yeah I go to a community college and I'd say we have at least 300 computers available across campus. At least they give me something to do in between classes, but otherwise they're not all that useful.
adwya
in our school

there is 50 computers

old

Laughing
DX-Blog
Mmm, I go to a university so it's somewhat different... but there are well over 500 computers, perhaps even over 1000. A lot are pentium 4's and such, still it are too few though for the total amount of students which require usage of it.
jveezy
My elementary school had old Mac IIs but started bringing in newer PCs when I got to fifth grade (my last year at the school).

My junior high school and high school had about two or three computers in every room and a couple computer labs on campus.

There's computers everywhere in college with wireless all over campus.
jongoldsz
At my school we have tons of computers. As a matter of fact, my school just built a new computer lab and bought over 40 brand new Dell computers and at least 10 new Smart Boards, but they can't afford to buy living paramecium for Bio.
zplitstonez
Yes ofcourse our school has a lot of computer because it is and computer college, It's fun to learn things in the computer
zplitstonez
Yes ofcourse our school has a lot of computer because it is and computer college, It's fun to learn things in the computer
zoombinimatt
My school has plenty of computers but we cant use them to play games, surf the internat, et.c etc. or anything else fun.... Sad although we can research stuff on the web, but seriously they use microsoft products... they suck lol. cant even use firefox or openoffice.
cikguyap
amount of computer is not an issue, the point here is how many teacher in school have the computer skill required? in my school, only a few got it. others just use the old fashion way!
zombi3
i mean, if u cant afford a computer, thats not fair if the assignment requires typing. There are methods of finding resources like a library or something, but i think handwriting should always be accepted.
ashen
In my school, there is a computer lab that have about 40 computers. Also, in every lab have one or two computer. The library have 3 and the teacher's room have 2, and some other rooms. So... the total of the computer maybe almost 70... The computer in comp lab, library, teacher's room, and AV room can accessed internet. Especially in the comp lab, there are some computer that installed with some games (mostly : Pokemon Emerald which played with GBA emu), it's because the comp teacher is like to play games too.
mj_loc_nl
LandShark wrote:

LandShark,
Installing linux on a machine and making it unusable for other users is in my opinion not a good thing to do. Even do I am a heavy Linux/UNIX user and I try to prevent myself from using Microsoft OS as much as possible you have to think about the consequences of removing the original operating system and installing Linux.

A lot of users will be unable to use the computer and this is a shame. That you want to use Linux I can understand but why do you not use a boot CD to run your Linux dist? He you have even linux dists that you can run from a floppy. If these options are not there just make a connection to you local Linux machine and work on this machine.

Back to the original subject:
On all the schools I attended in the past we have hade computers. This was in the Netherlands. I do not know what the opinion of other governments is but in the Netherlands the Dutch government is trying to get computers in every school and I think they have hade a big success in doing so.

As you can imagine universities also have computers, the best part of this is that if you know your way around the campus of a university in the Netherlands you will always have the possibility to find a terminal to work on even if you are not attending this university as a student. As I live close to big university city I sometimes bring the campus a visit to use there machines. The campus is located outside the city but even in they city the do have some buildings you can enter and make use of the terminals.
zplitstonez
good day to everyone, well my school has about 80 computers, there is two computer laboratory and each of these laboratory has 40 computers, it's hard to believe that my school is a computer colloege but the computers there a very slow. But it's okay, atleast there is, it's good, hehe, it develops your patience, because you have to wait long.hehehehe!
mj_loc_nl
zombi3 wrote:
i mean, if u cant afford a computer, thats not fair if the assignment requires typing. There are methods of finding resources like a library or something, but i think handwriting should always be accepted.

I know that in the Netherlands there are several ways to get access to a terminal even if you do not have one at home… you can go to a public library, a university or rent a terminal for a couple of hours if needed.

So you can have computer time free or paid even if you do not have the money to buy a computer yourself. I wonder what the options are in other countries to get access to a terminal. Can you also get anonymous access to a computer without identifying yourself before using it? This can be very handy in some cases Wink
metalstorm33
im in computer tech class at school, we have decent computers for a school,Dell demension 3600's on a t1 line... compared to most school this is pretty darn good.
Arnie
mj_loc_nl wrote:
zombi3 wrote:

I know that in the Netherlands there are several ways to get access to a terminal even if you do not have one at home… you can go to a public library, a university or rent a terminal for a couple of hours if needed.

So you can have computer time free or paid even if you do not have the money to buy a computer yourself. I wonder what the options are in other countries to get access to a terminal. Can you also get anonymous access to a computer without identifying yourself before using it? This can be very handy in some cases Wink
I also live in the Netherlands and it's pretty annoying to have to go somewhere else to work on a computer. You don't have control over what applications and settings you use, you can only use the computer on certain times, you have to go somewhere else to work on your computer, you often don't have silence to work... it's just not practical.
jstoeffler
Last year at our school we had crappy old Dells. This year they pimped our computer room out and put about 30 new Dells in there. They have 18" flatscreens and 3.4 Ghz processors. It's awesome.....
But the only thing is they have a lot of sites blocked. Has anyone found a way to get around this? Our school uses Novell, btw.
pfrllc
My school has at least 20 computers, fairly new IBM computers, but they have Fortres on them, so you can't go to My Computer, My Network Places, My Documents, etc. and you can't go to half of the websites to research stuff because of Bess (which, by the way, comes with Fortres). My old school also had IBM computers with Fortres, and so I have been trying to figure out how to disable Fortres through the backdoor password for 3 years. Fortres is a brilliant program, but I loathe it with all of my might. If anyone knows of people like Amatus, Acidus, and Frost_byte, please PM me.
Dustin
Yea, i use computers all the time at school Mostly to play games Laughing however occasionally i will use them for work

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA&q=slime+volleyball&spell=1
zjosie729
My school has computers, but not for everyone in every room. Only the teachers has them in each room, but there's several computer labs in my school, and sometimes we can use laptops.
quixotic
I just started at my college, but we have computer labs all over the place. At least 5 in the Instructional center, about 100 comps in the library, a mac lab, and that's just in the 3 buildings I've been in, which is less than 1/4th the campus. I think it's a 3mb connection, but honestly I don't know. I haven't been able to find a computer that's [/i]available[/i] yet.
lockwolf
My school just got a bunch of new computers. Since I am in Computer Repair and Home Networking at school, I got to help set them up. I also took a look at the specs and for school computers, they are really good:

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Processors
1 GB DDR2 533Mhz Ram
Nvidia Quatro FX 520
Onboard sound
16x Dual Layer +/- DVD burners
Gigabit lan
and to top it all off a 19" LCD monitor

I talked with the district tech guy that was there and he said each computer was about $1200 (Not sure if that included the monitor). The main reason we have such high end computers is because the computers in the lab are also used for an Animation class so they need high end computers to be rendering stuff in Maya.
lolz
my school's computer are ok with the spec of:

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz Processors
1 GB DDR2 533Mhz Ram
Nvidia Quatro FX 520
Onboard sound
Sony Combo drive
Gigabit lan
19" Flat scren monitor

just that the connections sucks badly and they claim that they are using a T1 with only about 100 of the computers, it took me almost a minute to load wikipedia @@". I don't know if it is the ISP but sure hope they fix it
pfrllc
The ISP is not at fault for this, but the distribution of the T1 signal is. T1 is 1.544 Mbps, so split that among 100 computers, and you have 15.44 Kbps for each computer. This number could also be diminished by any other computers on the circuit, and the T1 could be fractional T1, which could make the connection about 768 Kbps. All of these variables would make the connection about equal to the normal dial-up connection speed (not 56.6 kbps because that is the absolute optimum speed, and it will never reach that optimum speed).

Also, my old school shared a T1 connection among approximately 50 computers and its speed was fairly slow. At home, I have a ADSL connection used for 1 constant connection and 7 temporary connections, and the 768 Kbps becomes about 167 Kbps for each computer.
bball_player_nba_all_star
lol my school is extremely wierd we have two computer labs and two computers in about each class room yet i have never used or seen anyone use the computers its really wierd and i havent seen any teachers use them either i wonder whats up with that lol
ahlai
well. My sch has tons of computers. i studied computing in a polytechnic thus. my IT sch had many comuter labs which equiped with 10mps internet access. the whoe school campus also had wireless connection. this allow student to bring their laptop and access internet in school. Razz
Arnie
mj_loc_nl wrote:
LandShark wrote:

LandShark,
Installing linux on a machine and making it unusable for other users is in my opinion not a good thing to do. Even do I am a heavy Linux/UNIX user and I try to prevent myself from using Microsoft OS as much as possible you have to think about the consequences of removing the original operating system and installing Linux.
The guy's behaviour is simply a product of the recent "Linux is cool" and "MS sucks" cult on the Internet. If you get brainwashed with all that kind of stuff on every site you visit, every forum you go, in every mail you read/write, on every IRC channel you go, no wonder you turn nuts. The same with the FF people. Spreadfirefox looks more like a cult to me. They talk about spreading flyers in public rooms, and have a special forum for stories of how they got converted. :/ Oh and what about the "Get Firefox" buttons everywhere, that's pretty similar to the religious propaganda stuff that's put on cars and wherever, isn't it?
theo
we've got 2 computer rms and an MMLC rm with computers
EVILSKAAP
Well here in south africa almost all schools have computers of some sort, atleast in the more urban areas. In my highschool of 1600 students we have 160 computers devided into 4 classrooms. They also have 1Mbps adsl. njoy
takercena
Too many computer with fast internet connection is sux when we can't use p2p software. I wonder if anybody know how to bypass ISA server firewall or whatever.
wumingsden
jstoeffler wrote:
Last year at our school we had crappy old Dells. This year they pimped our computer room out and put about 30 new Dells in there. They have 18" flatscreens and 3.4 Ghz processors. It's awesome.....
But the only thing is they have a lot of sites blocked. Has anyone found a way to get around this? Our school uses Novell, btw.

Use a proxy, for example, www.poxyproxy.com Very Happy
demolaynyc
jstoeffler wrote:

Yeah there are! Only few kids in my school knows this. Try going to these sites:

http://www.imrealcool.com/p
http://www.techtakeover.net/search

proxies!
dolphonia
LandShark wrote:
No way does every school have computers. Right here in america alot of schools dont have them. Sure they are all in the projects(at least im guessing) but there are srill lots with out computers

In the UK i think all schools have computers as it was a government strategy introduced almost ten years ago and is part of the national curiculum. My school has some quite snazzy wireless suites aswell as around 6 designated computer rooms, then again it is private school.
please.be.quiet
my school has computers everywhere, they normally use the new imac's. at my old school, they even had a laptop program where you'd bring your own laptop and use it for various things in class.
Hero
My school has computers, although they have CP and Right-Click disabled. Also, they have a service called "Websense," which blocks almost every games/download sites.
SamiTheBerber
I'm going last year in Lohjan Yhteislyseon lukio in Finland. We have 3 computer rooms, in which 2 is for educational purpose and 1 for student's free use. Most of our classrooms have one computer for teachers showing their education material. It is pretty useful Wink

Unfortunately computers for student's free using are so lame and old with Win98se. I want Linux for my school!!!
elTibor
My school being a technical one provided intel P4 support for my program.

However, if you were in a program like marketing the technology wasnt kept up-to-date as much.

I was pretty impressed with the level of up-keep around the place. It was usually pretty up-to-date(for my program that is Wink )
dj-joshua
Yep i got to play on the pcs at lunch its soooooo kl Cool Cool Cool Cool
colilon
I have computers in my class, sadly we're not allowed to get near them very often.
I really doesn't understand their use, so be it.
SNES350
Most of the rooms in my school only have one computer that is actually used during most school days (the teacher's computer). Maybe one fourth of the rooms also have at least one other computer that is usable to the students, but almost never used (when we need to use computers for class, the teacher typically has the cart with 30 iBooks and an Airport/Express). There are computer labs, two of which are for certain classes (Computer Applications, a mandatory class for sophomores, Intro to Technology and Applied Tech, required classes alternating days for freshmen) and one of which is open for use by any class that requires computers that day.

Generally, except for my computer-centric classes, we don't use computers in school.
kam311
When I was in high school (back in the day...), we had like 4 or 5 in each room...usually used for games, then later for hacking and screwing around...so yeah, computers in school taught me a lot...just not what they had intended for me...
Richous05
My school has a network of over 1000 computer at least one in every class room the bad thing is there running a proxie so we cant go onto sites with games etc because it automaticly closes the window. I think there running 10mpbs link.
chihouse
Of course!My school have about 100 public computers.But the Internet isn't so fast.It takes a lot of time for me to do homework.
jongoldsz
I hate my schools ISP. My school claims to use a T1, but it still lags. Also, it would be great for my school to siwtch to FIOS because it is a lot faster and costs less money.
jstoeffler
wumingsden wrote:
jstoeffler wrote:

Use a proxy, for example, www.poxyproxy.com Very Happy

Thanks, man. I didn't know it was that easy. Now everyone's gonna be jealous of me at school for playing games.
windval
of course we have

our school has two computer rooms

and there are about 1000 computers in the school

i think we can do nothing when there are no computers nowadays
AG007
lol
I came five years ago from my natal country to United States. Every school that I have been has computers, and lots of them. In high school, in my CAD class we use to play video games it was easy to install, they were good computers. Many students download the demo Quake and play multiplayer on them. It was great, I could be in another computer room and could play with other in another room in school. I was even able to play the demo of Halo. I installed it in my flash drive [512 MB].

lol. Good times.
_bloodstain
My school has computer in a few class rooms, labs, and other places. Its pretty nifty but they block alotta sites.

Theres 4 or 5 labs I think, then the two computer classes, and then theres some in the autoshop room and next to the math class; but that might be a lab. I don't know my school all that well. Sad
otaku
Most schools have computers nowadays.
Our school has 40 computers in our computer lounge.
1-3 Computers in every teacher's room.
We even have a T1 line.
What school doesn't have computers?

But there's alot usefull site's that are blocked.
I tried a proxy but it didn't work.
Is there any other way?
Orla
In our college, it depends on what ur studyin if ya get computers.....

Like, I have my own computer that i use everyday.....

But we too, have loadsa sites blocked...

It really sucks.....

But at least we can use the net......
z4c.
we have macs at school currently. but next year I will go to High School were they have normal computers and proboly fast internet. But I will not enjoy computer class b/c It will be so boring and hard!
thefounders
LandShark wrote:

I'm currently at Indiana University, but back in high school, we had plenty of soda. Coca-Cola loved us, and *for the most part* vice versa.

Anywho, yeah, IU has plenty of computers. If you are on the campus, you can get to a computer in a minute's walk, tops. Dell-made Windows XPs abound.

Orla wrote:
In our college, it depends on what ur studyin if ya get computers.....

Like, I have my own computer that i use everyday.....

But we too, have loadsa sites blocked...

It really sucks.....

But at least we can use the net......

What? Where do you go? I've only heard of a few colleges blocking sites, and they are usually the über-conservative, "curfew at 10," "no boys in the girls' dorms" type.
kansloos
My school has computers, about 75.
For about 800 students.

I also know someone which is from another schooland they have only
24 old Win 98 Computers, without an internet connection. :'-(

speaking about 24, Does anybody watches the serie?
Panthrowzay
Now that teachers can access the computers like most adults they have gone power mad with them! the internet is really more of a toy than most adults realize, the ones at my school use thim to keep attendece auto update to the main computer at uptown office so it calls our parents if we skip it sucks major! but the main thing is that they are polluting a valued resorce. (doesnt want to grow up)
xygblarbin
this was posted awhile ago on this subject, and it made me laugh:

deeblue wrote:
oh thats right in America every school have vending machines with cola instead of necessary computers.

to which LandShark replied:
"Is that supposed to be an insult to America? How about this? Dont be a biased idiot speeking out against stuff he doesnt know. Hardly any schools in america actually have vedning machines(all mainly high schools too)and there are laws against having actual "cola" as you called it in them. It cant be pop. It has to be fruit drinks or sport drinks. No pop allowed "

man.. i live in america, i went to highschool here, and our high school had soda machines EVERYWHERE. Our highschool was partly owned by pepsi! Pepsi owned our gym. We had a pepsi gym. There aren't laws against having soda at school. Also, any fruit drink we had were those fruitopia-style high-fructose corn syrup fake fruit drink things that might as well have been soda, except they weren't carbonated. They didn't even have a water vending machine at my highschool. it was forbidden in the contract with pepsi (this is before pepsi had a line of bottled water (i graduated in '99)

Seems landshark overreacted. Deeblue (the german) knows more about the typical american school than the landshark (the american) does.
igor123d
Throughout the world the majority of schools have at least some computers availabe for the faculty and student body. In industrialized countries schools often have computers for every student to utilize and even in less affluent countries, schools usually have at least some computers for their students to use. In this computerized time it is crucial to allow students to learn how to opperate computers from a young age and the world's educational systems are doing just that.
Takayukiko
i live in Japan and go to Japanese high school (optimized for "university-entrance war") , and i'm so ashamed to tell that

STUDENTS HERE NEVER USE COMPUTER FOR STUDYING
and
MOST OF THEM EVEN DON'T KNOW WHAT WINDOWS IS!!

(WINDOWS could be replaced with "drag&drop" , "browser" , "blog" , "hotmail or gmail" , "optical mouse" "Google" with no problem......*sigh*)

teachers use pcs but we never get a chance to use them at school. no PC for students. even in the library.
mark
Yeah, my school has stylish Dell and Acer computers. They have about 300 of them. But they all were Windows 98 till last year when they got upgraded to XP Professional, 512 MB RAM and we have been using an uncapped speed cable line. So, everythings good in our school.
DaveCS2
I hate the computers at my school...

They're slow, and the security is very tight -- you can't even access the file menu in internet explorer <wtf?

Anyway Mark... I wish I went to your school *drool*
sssg
My school is wikid wit da new macs an dis one lad hacked em an got expelled
sssg
Yeh well im reeli reeli reeli bored and i want 2 start a free website alredi but u no yeh an wateva i need sum points and im reeli tired an yeh bla bla bla i reeli h8 skool and i hope every1 else doese
hangnhu
Wow! I'm sure this was an American/USA base site, this forum/subject surely surprise me. Schools without computers for the country that is listed the first to walk on a distance land as space or moon?????

And forget this being the 21st century, wasn't you guys the one whom declare they're the world superpower and hardly anyone dare to compete or with them post the Cold World.

I thought their arrogant was beyond high that they always love to instult the mother land. Something as low as computers for school is really just too unbelievable.

Oh, by the way, I really wonder how the administration teams work without the computer to speed their pase, must be terribly hard with the amount of pupils in school and those level of paper works.

Cool
sk8er_gurl_31
The computers at my school have a firewall on the internet, so everything is blocked! Even some of the info we need is blocked! We were gonna do a workshop on the internet, but it was blocked too! And our teacher wanted us to do it! It was her website! Anyways, beware of firewalls! Laughing
Grimboy
My school has 6 computer rooms with about 35 computers average. That's around 210. Also every classroom has a projector computer. They all run XP and we get 40MB of storage (I compress stuff and use ftp).

As for filters I just run a proxy from my home computer... It's slloooowwww......
Dark_Jedi06
We have computers, just not very good ones. Not only that, but the school's network is only about two steps above crap, using the Internet is like pulling teeth.

You also have the idiots who enjoy rearranging keys on keyboards, color the keys, stealing wires and what-not, ect. ect.

I try to avoid using them as best I can. Razz
[idbi]SKi
My school just got new computers, seems they have racked up funds from somewhere... Considering they spent over $7,000 on fire drills...

Stupid kids keep pulling them Razz
haris3
I think by the year 2006, every school in america might have A computer. What? I'm pretty sure every school in america has atleast 15 or more computers. In popular cities most schools have laptops in classes now. They are for the students. The labs are full with new computers. Some schools might have handed down computers, but they still exist and people can use them. Which is the main purpose.

Doesn't matter how old the computer, if they have them, they are in good shape. It's better than not having any at all. Very Happy

abc321 Very Happy
Dark-Tech
my school has plenty of computers and i believe all the science and math and computer rooms are equipped with smartbards - fun my computer class pisses me off though cause for the last 2 years my computer teacher has been fighting for the A.P. course to be fully functional (security system prohibits the use of necessary things - finnaly theyre going to remove the security system in one room yay lol - i't would of been done sooner but she said if i did it then the TSS department would get her introuble - meventhough it was me - so i waited

also how many people have smartboards intheir schools along with the computers
Lacerate-
We didn't get computer labs until my 10th grade year in high school and that was like 5 years ago it was a big upgrade for us and I think the town over didn't get their until 2 years ago ... they was only computers in the office. Crying or Very sad You can really tell sometimes that our tax money is going to schools... Rolling Eyes
Arnie
Smartboards?
time_ar
Yes, my university has quite good technology support. We have a 3Gb network space for each person in the engineering department. But the apartment network sucks big time. Always having latency issue when you want to relax and play some online game.
majorfeightner
I think that most schools htese days are equipped with some form of computer. I hear that Mac/Apple gives out some sort of free grant or something. I mean, my school is ALL macs, it KILLS ME!!
Lacerate-
majorfeightner wrote:
I think that most schools htese days are equipped with some form of computer. I hear that Mac/Apple gives out some sort of free grant or something. I mean, my school is ALL macs, it KILLS ME!!

I coudn't stand to be at your school .... I would love a mac at home but not at school ... Rolling Eyes
aerialdreams
every classroom has at least 5 computers of course, and then there's the computer labs which are awesome. We can also check out these neat lil lap tops for school use, and they are so cute! Wireless internet is awesome!
picsite
ya my schools have computers. These just upgraded to these nice dells but the network logon takes like 10min. We each have our student id and our own password so everything is tracked...sucks. A whole lot of sites are blocked, i mean a lot. Many game sites, all adult (a given) stuff, and other cool sites which shouldn't have been blocked in the first place. I wonder if there is some software which chooses these sites for them. Does anyone know of anything like that?
michaelyazon
in our school we have online registration and we have a computer laboratory bu the PCs we have are old and most probably surplus from the US or Japan since we have to plug it into the 110V outlet of our power supply.
pjv
I think most of the schools in the urban areas have computers but the problem is most of the students were not able to use it. Usually students who use computers at school in my country are those who are taking up computer subject. Reports are type through computer, what students do because they cant use the computers at school go to internet cafes or if they are lucky to own one then just at their own home.

It is good if schools in the rural areas will also be able to acquire PCs so that they will not be ignorant to this generation's magical box that can do a lot of things. Smile
sarp
yes we are a big school we have 100-150 computers in our school and they are have very good hardwares and softwares in it for us to use..
Lennon
When I was at school (4 yrs ago), there was only 3 computers, 2 had windows 3.1, and one had win95 which was past retirement age.

Almost All colleges/universities have computers now, there's 100's of computers at my university, if not 1000's.
Silentrob
picsite wrote:
ya my schools have computers. These just upgraded to these nice dells but the network logon takes like 10min. We each have our student id and our own password so everything is tracked...sucks. A whole lot of sites are blocked, i mean a lot. Many game sites, all adult (a given) stuff, and other cool sites which shouldn't have been blocked in the first place. I wonder if there is some software which chooses these sites for them. Does anyone know of anything like that?

Your in luck at our tech we had the same problem until we realised downloading a new browser like firefox etc to your my documents would short out the problem.
mxmbt2
Man, I can remember in the 1980s we had computers in school... We had an old IBM PC junior at the back of the class that most of us didn't have a clue how to use. But by the time I left high school, all these kids were running around with laptops... and you'd be hearing all these stories of kids losing their laptops on public transport (this is back in the day when they were $5000 a piece). Mind you mobile phones still weren't that popular back then. As opposed to now though. I live in Tokyo and can't believe how much computing the kids on the train seem to do with their mobile phones these days. I tried to buy a PDA the other day and was told that they are no longer for sale because mobile phones are too sophisticated these days....
musikrocks
the scholl that i visit everybody has a laptop!
We used them to learn programming and so.
In some subjekts we used them to download important files from the net!
But if you fill boring you begin to play on the laptop and you missed listen to the teacher. That isn`t good, because when you write the next test, you don`t know something, because you have missed it!!
So i think using computers is okay, but teachers must controll if ther play somebody
Qwertyip
Most of us in 6thform have laptops now.... and our school has hundreds of computers. Every teacher has a laptop, and every classroom hasd a smart board. BUt im pitty sure none of the teacher have had training with them lol.
Arnie
Silentrob wrote:
picsite wrote:

Your in luck at our tech we had the same problem until we realised downloading a new browser like firefox etc to your my documents would short out the problem.
Lol that's pretty dumb, they should just block connection requests to the forbidden sites (servers) via the internal server/router instead of on the client
broken2144
We have 11 PC labs multi-booting Fedora Core (I'm trying to get it replaced with SuSE, and have almost made it), Win200, and WinXP. No sites are blocked (yet), but we don't have permission to actually do anything (I can't even change my password). Having the Admin password helps. Very Happy

--RF
blcklude97
they had computers at my school when i was going to high school they don't at my new college though. its more hands on.
ABurja
One school in my area had a project where every student was given a free Laptop to use. The thing with computers in school is, although they greatly help work, you can also play games on them, and boy do we know that. A Computer for School should be blocked from running any other that School related programs, like Word.
SNES350
I'm surprised at all the people who have fewer computers at school than we do here. For most subjects that would work fine for us, but without all the computers attendance and other menial tasks would be a lot more difficult for some of our teachers (I have a few that could stand to be a lot better). Two of my classes would be impossible without computers, Computer Applications (how to use Word/Excel/Powerpoint... yawn... do some homework there) and C++. I have 300MB of space allotted from the server as a network drive tied to my student login, and 50 MB used already purely with files from this year.
ShatteredGlass
Our teachers are nazis about anything involving the computers, hardcore filters, no installing programs, no games, no email, no streaming music or video, etc. etc.
haris3
[b]The government [/b]should pay for school computers. Every school should have computers. They are a great teaching resource. Push the Gov't to get computers in your school.

Computers will make a great difference in schools that don't have them. Very Happy
haris3
School should invest money in computers. They only run for about $200. Schools will even get a educational discount.
haris3
School should invest money in computers. They only run for about $200. Schools will even get a educational discount. Try to get this message to all the schoold that don't have computers. Companies will give a big discount to schools. It saves them that much in taxes. Fun stuff.
wilma
Im from one of India's biggest metropolitan city - Bombay, so yeah we have computers in school. But many of the Municipal run schools lack these facilities. Heck! who am i kidding! these municipal schools dont even have teachers, chairs. The condition of their school buildings are appalling. But for those of us who have the money are privileged enough to go to better schools. My school in particular is well renowned. We have a beautiful campus. Latest technologies and a very efficient teaching faculty.
It is true that in many places in India schools are lacking these facilities. But things are changing and India is progressing at a rapid pace.
kutegoddezz
yes virtually all schools have computers, i even had computers in my elementary school in kindergarden and stuff, it's essential to use comps because we are in the information age where everything is sped up my the use of technology. everything can be consolidated into a small machine and it's really cool. there is so much to learn and it really enhances the overall learning process for people of all ages. i think computers should be in all retirement and old folks homes too because the elderly need to learn how to use the internet to their advantage. it is truly amazing to see how things have changed in just a decade and how they will change even more dramatically in the years to come. i can't imagine school without using computers and some schools even require you to have a specific laptop or desktop to work with their curriculum. some even allow computers to rented out by the students. everything is at your fingertips and as cliche as it sounds it's definitely true. you can purchase things online, even cars it's just truly amazing. it'll be interesting to see things like competition for auction sites like ebay and stuff. and to see the development of robots and how those could potentially be used in the classroom settings.
haNn
Now im siting in class. We have 10 computers. They are good.
nizar
I think computer is the best facility for learning
Lied
In 21st century, the luck of computer skills will soon be treated like illiteracy.I think its a basic part of all the production and servicies buisenes.In greece most of the schools have computer labs, but the internet connections suck atm.The bigger one that a consumer can have is a 2Mbit SDSL. (I want to move to Sweden!)
fckarlsberg
laptops at our high school...
grimcss
we have loads of computer at school at least 9 room full of pc's
splitroom
There are comtuters in my school too. Not many but there is a computer for everybody when the schedule is synchronised. I'm lucky that I can use computer for 13 years because in Bulgaria where I live new technologies gets here a bit slower and the avarage people couldn't buy something new and good. Although the things here are started to get normally and more and more people have the opportunitie to work with computer. I think there are a little few schools which don't have computers now. This is very good and I'm happy that this was made very fast only for few years so every student to be able to work, study and use computer for his/her interests.
Ankaret
My school, which is a high school in Colorado definitely has/allows computers. Often it is very interactive in that we do lots of labs in physics and chemistry with computers as well as an open media center where anyone may do almost anything on the computers there with the exception of accessing blocked sites.
KeiKun
WE do but my comp at home can run circles around their peices of junk...
NGRU-Kamikazie
WOW, I never thought about this question. I got to Ocean City High School, in Ocean City, NJ in the USA. We have 12 computer labs with 30 computers in each lab, cutting edge TV-media facility bosting around 4 edit bays and 2 rendering bays not to mention the broadcast gear. Every teacher has 1 computer as well as 30 in the library and 2 older models in each classroom. Please not tho that all computers are networked and most, white PoS, are just modems, keyboards, mice, and moniters. The white PoS dont have flash or java softwear. only about 1/3 are diecent capable of graphich and/ or visual arts. Lets not even get started on restictions on websites of everything including games.
ggreiner9
we have computers!! yeaaa we got dells duude
=ALiEN-SK=
Yes ma school has computers. We have like 12 computer rooms i think. We have just upgraded the computers in 2 of them so yeah... I am on one of the upgraded ones now!
amirkpe
Here in Iran many schools have computers i think about 70 percent of schools have computer and about 30 percent of them got the internet access , in my school there are 15 computers , but the access is growing every day!!!

By the way have you heard about the $100 laptops that distributed by UN ?
boywonder13
Recently my school just got over 100 computers installed. A huge IT Lab. A Whole floor of the school was renovated.

I think every modern day school, even private should give students acces to computers, which most of them do.
milne
yeah we've got heaps at our school there all shity dell/mac comps they give me the craps, but you can take u ipod or somthing to school and copy all the software and stuff, but dont do that its not kool Shocked
dragonduke
Yeah i used to goto school in AUS and they had computers. About 100 of them, of which 70 or so were acessable by students. Unless they had some secret computers...and our technitian was a weirdo. He used to reinstall OS on the computers every time they showed the blue screen. lame.
n-myster
I THINK AVING PC'S ON SCHOOL IS QUILITY I THINK EVERY ONE SHOULD GET THERE OWN
LAPTOP instead of tons of books
borud
I live in Norway and for the last couple of years every school in the country have got foundings for new computers. On my school we have about 50 computers or something, but since there are so many who uses them we don't get so much time with 'em.
FarZin
That would be COOOOL Laughing
^^ Im wondering why not ^^
offbeatonline
at highschool we had some crappy computers in my web design class pentium II stock machines, well we didnt let that get us down...my teacher was really slack and we all installed counterstrike 1.6 on it, had about 10-15 people every day playing CS when we had finished our work and during lunch. Lan parties everyday, it was great.
hp-compendium
My school has tons of computers. They have all knids of stuff on them because the school is always raising money. We get on the computers for an hour every other day to do 'school work', but most of us just play online.
heady233
Yeah, my school has computers. In fact we just got new HP media center PCs. Sometimes I try to screw around with them by makeing the home page of IE http://www.the-yeah-gang.com (My website). Laughing
BardMan
My school has a crap load of computers, brand new dells, we get new ones each year. Each room has it's own wireless connection...it's really cool. Since I'm a Senior i can pretty much do what i want so i can use the laptops whenever...it's cool Razz It's crazy on how much the schools spend on these things each year though...it's kinda stupid always having to have the most up to date thing >_<
Ka0tiK
My school has a whole collection of Dell PC's as well. They are workstation computers and they are ment to be running for hours. Oddly, when I asked the professor how much the school paid for the towers, he mentioned about more a grand EACH - almost 2 grands. Obsurd...

Nonetheless, the graphics lab contain brand new iMacs and they are sweeeet! *fantasizes* I just feel like taking one of those babies HOME!
testoo
I 'm a french teenager and we have computers to work at school. They don't belong to us but we can go to the documentation center when we want "to work" Sad The documentalists are really ugly and vicious they patrol around us and keep us in the "right" way. I'm also in a special class which has got computers to work. Has anybody got his own computer at school to work (and more...)?
Dominator101
our school has 3 compuer rooms. but they aren't very good ones the computers are full of viruses Sad and basically everythin on the internet is filtered tis rubbish
Tasukii
My school have computers, but students are not allowed to use them if it's not of a research, of course we can always ntry to go on Frihost or on MSN but they really watch us Confused
Some classroom have like 30 computers, but there are very old and full of viruses...
daywalker
My school have computers. There are 1 computer rooms, about 35 computers in each.
StyledeTos
hello us i'm new user and very happy to be on firhost, i speack not very well english but i've understood i must post 5 to have a web access lol , so i'm posting Smile
Pavlosco
ik zou ook de frihost hosts willen bedanken omda ik deze topic gewoon gezien had en ik dacht ik ga hier ne keer nene hgele lange post zetten zoda ik goe veel punte krijg want ik moe 5 posts emme en 10 punte en dees is mn derde post ma ik em ng ma 0.5 punte en ik dnek da het aantal punte afhankelijk is van de groote van uwe post dsu da zal ik nu ma ne keer uitteste door nen hele lange psot hier te posten e, ja zo zimpel is het , ik zal dan ma beginne e, waarom ik dus bij dees ding ben gelome e, wel ja ik moe webspace emme om video'kes enzo up te loade zoda mn vrinde enzo die ook kunne zien en de video was eerst 2.2GB ma da kon ik nerges uplaode en dan em ik het formaat veranderd en een beetje verkleind en zo is de groote tog al sterk an benede gegaan en is nu 241MB en dees is daar ideaal vo om da op interne te zette e?
alle jo ik hoop da deze post lang genoeg was
Petee
Yeah, my High School has 2 iMac labs (We all hate the macs) and a PC lab, with Windows XP Pro. The PC labs got like 30 some computers and one iMac lab has 20, the other has 30. Plus every teacher in the school has a computer in there room, at least one. There are wireless access points for laptops. It's all on broadband, and I don't think we're sharing it with anything else Razz. Bad thing is, there are blocks on pretty much everything, and we only get to go on the computers when we have school work to do. Crying or Very sad
HJSimpson
WOW, I never thought about this question. I got to Ocean City High School, in Ocean City, NJ in the USA. We have 12 computer labs with 30 computers in each lab, cutting edge TV-media facility bosting around 4 edit bays and 2 rendering bays not to mention the broadcast gear. Every teacher has 1 computer as well as 30 in the library and 2 older models in each classroom. Please not tho that all computers are networked and most, white PoS, are just modems, keyboards, mice, and moniters. The white PoS dont have flash or java softwear. only about 1/3 are diecent capable of graphich and/ or visual arts. Lets not even get started on restictions on websites of everything including games.

We got medions Razz
Matt_GVA
In Switzerland, Swisscom provides free internet to every school, i hope that it's the same all around the world. But i imagine that it isn't.

Matt
skaterm
Yeah, we are allowed to use computers at school.

Most of them aren't even on XP though, most are on Windows 98, Since our school is poor as hell

When we can go on the internet we aren't allowed to login to messenger and a lot of different sites are banned.

Only certain computers can be used to check emails and the others you can't really do anything on except look up needed info for research papers.
Masochistic Tendencies
Yes we have two computer labs...isn't this question slightly pointless?
tricolor
we have loads of desktops and laptops and we can use em usually the teachers get pissed if we dont do what we're supposed to be doing though/
Mizzro
My school has too many computers... We have 3 computer labs, a couple classroom's that every student sits at a computer(But not the comp rooms), Every class room has at least 3 computers, and each department has like 3 carts of labtops(IE: Science Cart 1, 2, 3)

I think that is over doing it.. And I dont see how my school affords it. We had to turn the heat down to 65 because our school cant pay the exstra money for all the heat...
Petee
Yeah Mizzro, I wonder sometimes how my school can afford all our computers, TV's, projectors and crap. We also have our heat turned down in the winter (It get's quite cold in there). I think that schools get grants for tech stuff, and if they use the grant money they get more money or something. I'm not sure.
leorimolo
ITS kinf of intersting here in costa rica(central america for dumbasses) we actually have good computer labs, wevgot dells in high skool, and in middle school emacs, in the whole campus thery'res WIRELEES for students, also we have a 128kbs conection WOOT. Also if youre friends with the computer technictian hell give you the password for the teachers 512kbs, its trully awsome.

-LEo-
falsealarm
We have computers at my school, they come in handy when you need to research things. Some people will abuse them though and mess it up for everyone else which is quite irritating.
deleenheir
I'm actually a teacher and we have a lot of computers @ my school... we even have a load of laptops and a wireless network covering the entire school
THE11thROCK™
I am tech administrator. I also work for tech support. In the school where i'm currently teaching, we have AMD 64s and flatscreen monitors. When i'm off work, I play UT 2004 at school premises. I also do most my web work there. What's more, it's free. Hehe
bigdan
When I was at high school, we had two full computer labs and three classrooms with some computers. At primary school, all classrooms had at least one computer and the library had a few, with two Macs.
NPMPS5c
My Hong Kong School has two computer rooms with 40 XP computers, 30 NT Computers, about 40 Staff SP2 XP computers. only 3 staff computers have Office 11. So, that is why I would spend $ 100,000,000 on software.
K@#0%!
my school have some computers, because it is computer engineering Laughing
ccarter24
My high school had one computer room and we had just barely gotten one computer hooked up for internet access before I graduated. I graduated back in 1996, so that was a while ago. At college there were many computer rooms, and all had internet access. I don't think it locked many sites out because I noticed some students accessing porn sites once or twice. Good times, college.
Twikki
Yes, Schools have computers becaus4e most pupils don't own computers at home so they Provide them at the school, also they do teach people how to use computers, It's called ICT
shollaA
Well, in Nigeria, most schools have computers, especially for administrative uses. Howver, availability of computers to the students is silll very poor. The students to computer ratios is abysmal. When I was in the University studying computer sience, it was like 20 of us to one pc! Exclamation Things have improved a bit, but if there is any organizationn that can help out by providing even refurbished or "second-new" pc, pls lets make contact
DecayClan
We surrely have!But...Here everything is corrupted, and everytime the buy something new, some people get lots of money from it(illegally of course).In order to be able to change computers as soon as possible(in order to get more money) They get "incomplete" Pc,s just to make as angry, and demand from them to change.What does this mean?They brought new computers a few months ago, look at what they are and you tell me why:

CPU:Petium 4 prescot 640
GPU:6600 GT 256MB
TFT 19' something
200GB western digital
ONLY 128MB OF RAMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And a 310Watt no-name power suply...
(i can't even imagine where they managed to find such ram, or so F**ken weak Power suplier...)
So, the computers are crawling, and we are already asking for new computers...THE WHOLE ****** SYSTEM IS CORRUPTED!
(sorry for my language, but...)
cycus
We have two computer Labs in our school. One is for our use, that one has at least 30 computers and each running two versions of Microsoft Windows. Each and every computer is connected to the world of internet and whenever we go to our labs we are allowed to use it.
zuriel
we had computers in my school, they wheren't very fast and they had a lot of sites blocked through a hardware firewall/filter system in the server. senior year me and some friends used a linus boot disk to steal the system and SAM files off one of the computers. we took them home and brute forced then to retrieve the admin password for the computers. They never caught us for that though they did catch us fro writing .bat files that disabled thier ability to watch what we where doing and control our computers. The interent was still filtered though sadly.
speedlikecy
DecayClan wrote:
We surrely have!But...Here everything is corrupted, and everytime the buy something new, some people get lots of money from it(illegally of course).In order to be able to change computers as soon as possible(in order to get more money) They get "incomplete" Pc,s just to make as angry, and demand from them to change.What does this mean?They brought new computers a few months ago, look at what they are and you tell me why:

CPU:Petium 4 prescot 640
GPU:6600 GT 256MB
TFT 19' something
200GB western digital
ONLY 128MB OF RAMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And a 310Watt no-name power suply...
(i can't even imagine where they managed to find such ram, or so F**ken weak Power suplier...)
So, the computers are crawling, and we are already asking for new computers...THE WHOLE **** SYSTEM IS CORRUPTED!
(sorry for my language, but...)

128MB of ram is too less...
that gpu also have 256MB
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
fading-reality
We have computers at our school. All of them are brandnew also. In the computer lab, the teacher has some sort of virus-aphobia so we're only allowed to go on certain sites on a list. If you want to go on a site you have to give the URL to her and she has to ok it. Which alot of us go wherever without her knowing. Our librarian doesn't really care about where we go as long as its not something the board would be against. We take tests on books on the computers also....thats the main reason that we have them.
sovkipe
Quote:
i think every school has computers . We live in the 21th century ! Shocked

in the 21th century, sure, but in the same world to everybody ?...

not everybody are from the US or Europe you know... Rolling Eyes
Malkin
my school has 4-6 computer rooms 30 computers in each room :/
Bengt
It is scientifically proven that computers - used in a good way - get your grades up.
hsadmin
LandShark wrote:

Yeah! We have computers at school. Sadly, we only have IBOOK G4's.. We've had computers in our school district for years now. Even when I was in Kindergarten our school had computers. ALL the computers in our new school have wireless internet.
Freebiedo
Hmmm I wonder if anyone out there remembers the BBC Acorn computers? They were so, so, old but the games on them were brilliant. The Magic Telephone was my favourite game. But anyways, if nobody has a clue what I'm on about, they were here jst slightly after the dinosaurs came along and when Windows was just Windows. If you'd have mentioned the word "Internet" back then, most people would have thought it was a type of knitting stitch!
barkman
My school had computers, but they were rarely used for research/homework. They were usually hijacked for LAN games and general internet browsing. I can't recall a single time I saw someone using it to type a paper or use it an educational manner. Almost everyone had a computer at home, so that wasn't a big deal. The ones who didn't were allowed to write their papers by hand. I wouldn't prefer that myself, but I think it's tough for schools to justify the cost and constant maintenance when their students are using the labs to play games.
sidewinder
I also hav laptop at my class
Hope i will continue to do so
Dark-Tech
Arnie wrote:
Smartboards?

Smart boards are large rectngular creens mounted on the wall measuring about 5 ft x 5 ft that have usually but not required high resolution projectors projecting the image of a computer screen and or secoundary input such as a DVDPlayer or in my science wing Microcams(microscope cameras) the smart board is similar to a giant Touch screen like that on the Nintendo DS in adition it has built in markers that dont actually right on the board but send information to the computer telling the computer to draw/ write and then project it onto the smartboard.
Sir Vossy
Yes in my school it has computers and sometimes we are aloud to have all lesson playing on them but most time we have to do work, and then get 5 mins free at end which is kind of kool, but it really depends on the teacher u have got:)
caroline
We’ve got computers at my school. However there’s a ridiculously strict blocker on the Internet which blocks almost all forums. My school seems to really care about computers; we have like 50 of them in our library and so many more in our computer lab. We don’t ever get to use these computers for anything other than “educational” purposes, including during lunchtime. Even checking our email is dangerous, even if it really is for academics!
*sigh* At least we get to use them when we want to Smile
redeye321
sure we have computers here in the netherlands almost every class but the school is burnt up so almost the half of the computers are gone :S but we alraidy have new ones the are very fast (the other pc are not so fast )

so but we have computer about 100 computers :d
maddog
on my school there are 4 computers rooms with each 20 pc'sVery Happy i always game on the pc and internet and msn.....but if they see that than you must pay money to get ublocked:S
R2.DETARD
that would be a cash cow, making people pay to get their accounts back.
my school has 1 computer room with the most pimped out pentium 3 computers you will ever see. i'm talking 1 gig of ram, 250 gig hard drives and DVD RW drives, but slow as shit! that is what you get when you let the football coach be head of the computer lab.
tony
in sweden we have computers in all school.
Jack_Hammer
When I went on school they had blockers so you couldn't do much, so I spent hours trying to hack around them occasionally getting somewhere, often getting no-where. Though I think this topid has gone on long enough and now there is a lot of spam here...
serazat
LandShark wrote:

yes my school has 110 computers

and my school name has too

my Old scholl name's Computer Anatolian Technical High School

in turkish Bilgisayar Anadolu Teknik Lisesi

Laughing
NuniPio
yea im at tafe studying networking so im always around computers...when i was in high school we had computers for every faculty almost
mstreet
When I was in high school we had a computer lab with PETs does anyone remember those. Then during my first year at Uni I was part of the student newpaper at the time and we used the Classic Macs, Apple 2Cs and Apple 2Es...Do I ever feel old
moejoe
My school has 3 computer rooms with at least 25 computers in each.

In australia computers as part of the school year is compolsiarary. (till year 9)
My school has pathetic internet connection.
You cannot go on anything un-educational, which on the internet is about 99.8% Mad
So the only way i can access frihost is at home!
maddog
My school has a lot of computers.. i live in the Netherlands.. and almost every school here has computers..
PuppetMaster
Alguien sabe elaguna forma de como conectarse a internet utilizando proxys Surprised
Sizzle
mstreet wrote:
When I was in high school we had a computer lab with PETs does anyone remember those. Then during my first year at Uni I was part of the student newpaper at the time and we used the Classic Macs, Apple 2Cs and Apple 2Es...Do I ever feel old

I know the feeling. We didn't even have the classic Macs at school. We had all Apple IIe. In the winter of 1982 (at 12 years old) I wanted an Atari 2600 because my neighbor had one. My mother thought it would be better if I had a proper computer. At the time, IBM didn't make computers for the home but Apple IIe did. It had a whopping 64K ROM. It had no hard drive. The operating system, applications and games all had to be loaded by 5 1/4" floppies. I learned how to write in basic, reverse engineer programs, hex edit & circumvent copywrite protection. I was heavily involved and probably learned at least 30 different applications and played 750+ games.

By the time I was using Apple computers in my school, I already knew pretty much everything I was going to learn. I finished a week's worth of classwork in about 10 minutes and then played games on the back machine for the rest of the week. How did I get away with it? I opened the hood and disconnected the internal speaker!

Then in the late 80s, we had a IBM in my business and I found that games could be played on it so I switched over. In 1995 someone suggested I start working with him in the IT world and I've been doing support, management and administration ever since.

I've been in IT for over 10 years now and have made a great living at it. Thank God I didn't get the Atari 2600- besides... now you can play all of the old 2600 games via an emulator.

* DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT ADVOCATING DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL NOR CAN I COMMENT ON SUCH ACTIVITIES *
Arnie
Lol nice disclaimer. Wink
davidhoppestad
LandShark wrote:

Ya we get to use computers in class all we want. I usually use mine as long as there is a Wifi connection.
minb2215
At my school, there's a program which in everyone has a laptop. It's really funny you can just play Warcraft III (rules) when the math class is boring. So I usually play in all math classes. Laughing

But it's tough to avoid being catched by the teachers. We usually use the alt+tab trick to flip between programs. God thank's they don't chek the status bar! Very Happy

unfortunately , we cannot listen to music, they check our ears (at least!)
vicskyline
Our school computers just got hacked by students Shocked It seems they changed their grades to A's. If I find those guys i g2 tell them to do the same with mine Wink
Xeniczone
Yes we have comptuers at our school we get new comptuers every year. Currently the best ones we have are pentium 4 1.4ghz
CooL2ZeRo
We have 3 labs, but just one has some nice PC's so nobody has access to them, I think they are keeping them for themselves until they get old.

By the way, I heared in Germany there aren't PC's in schools, what do you guys think/know about that ?
our-trip-to-cotlands
Our computer teacher is a total 60 y/o creepy old lady. I say Firefox and I get the what the **** look back. I hate the school software. I wish I could write the curriculum!
subash
I was asked by one of the student what do we do with computers? what should i tell to this grade ! student?
Loghete
Stupid spammer...

In our school there's only one pupil computer, at the library. We have 2 computer rooms though, but we can just use those computers when we have computer class.
shadedflame
MY school has computers because were a technical school, don't know much about any other school.
djared90
My high school has a couple of computers in each classroom, mainly for the teachers to use. Then there are half a dozen computers in the student services room, about 30 in the media center, and there a few computer labs throughout the school with about 30 computers each.

From what I've gathered in my "expeditions" through the school's network, every school-owned computer in the county uses the same Novell software and are connected together, so I guess that I could go to another school on the opposite end of the county and still use my username and password to log in and access my files.

And of course, all of the computers have strict regulations on what we can and can't do...that can easily be bypassed. For example, the Windows Control Panel has a lot of its items removed, but they can easily be restored by changing a couple of values in the Group Policy Editor that are reversed when you log off, so nobody else knows what you were doing. And to get by the WebSense filters, you just have to use nslookup or ping to get the IP address and then enter that into the address bar to bypass it. I've had lots of fun on those school computers.
ettore85a
The Future school xD
i like the computers Smile
horcri
My school does have computers with (sort of) internet access, and untill two weeks ago the filtering system was ok to live with. Now they have blocked every site except a site the teacher has allowed for that lesson.
Vrythramax
We have sooo many computers at my University it is pathetic. Most of them just sit there unused.

But in response as to what we can actually do with them...not very much. They have us firewalled to death, I can even post to this forum as "It is not within proper school policy".

I agree with firewalls, but they take it to a whole new level.
SSPIMP
Yes my school has computers but we only go to the computer lab to do projects and look up work but when were done she lets us do what ever and that makes everyone happy. Laughing Very Happy
rUiSu
Yes, my school has 2 computer rooms, but they are all Windows 98. Sad Sad . But it's a good thing to have them, tough, because at my school I pay like 70 dollars per semester. Very Happy You know, it's a federal school, because I'm in Baja California... So it's pretty much fair Laughing
Mason11987
My college has several computer labs, my high school had several, as did my elementary school.
(+[__]+)
there are three rooms with computers in it at are school. there are about 20 in each
hsadmin
Vrythramax wrote:
We have sooo many computers at my University it is pathetic. Most of them just sit there unused.

But in response as to what we can actually do with them...not very much. They have us firewalled to death, I can even post to this forum as "It is not within proper school policy".

I agree with firewalls, but they take it to a whole new level.

I agree.. Can't look up photos, play music you've got, can't watch DVD's on them.. THAT PIS**S me off!
moto2004
My scholl have 40 computers but J dont it like.
www.maszynyrobtex.pl
www.ultrasparysow.fora.pl

Web page my scholl
www.klasatrzeciaparysow.fora.pl
FriBogdan
I live in Romania and i can say that the majority of the schools have computers Razz . Mine has about 50-60 computers in 4 rooms...P4 at 3.2 Ghz Smile, 80 GB, 256 ram. Hm...the most impressive is the 10 Mb/s connection at internet (we are connected through the near by university). Hm...i want that speed...at my place...at home i've got only 756 Kb/s Sad(
x-stream
Our school has computers, too. but They are soooo slooow that you can´t work with them... maybe they could think about new ones...
x-stream
Maybe I Add: you can´t work with them anyway, because they have locked everything- except for the taskmanager! Stupid teachers! Cool
surbz00r
My school has dozens of computers, the only bad thing about it is that about 85% of all the computers are about 200MHz and SLOOOOW at everything you do. None of them are above 800MHz, except for the server I think.
greenjm90
Our school has a specialist status - Maths and Computing. We recieve extra fuding for computing. We have an interactive whiteboard in every classroom. Wirless laptops and wireless tablets that can be used anywhere around the school by linking to one of the many wireless access points and many desktop PCs in computer labs and classrooms. Our study centre also has many computers in.
However, the network is sometimes slow and some machines can also be slow. They are all RM machines, which i suppose explains it.

I think every school here in GB has some, they are used widely throughout the curiculm and i can't imagine doing any of my lessons without one!
jcool3
My school has an insane amount of computers, but they are cut down so only school related applications are available. I have found many ways around this and can access every program on the computer. Unfortunately until last friday I haven't been able to touch the computers. I was banned for almost 4 months because I used a proxy server to circumvent the internet content blocker, twice.
If you guys want to know how to get access to any program just pm me.
nik
i am one of the few that got the keys from the computer rooms Razz it's nice speed thought not much to do with the computers.. i got the key only becouse i help them formating installing software etc.. cant' see any use in school computers.. unless you are boored..
baldheadedgames
My school has about a hundred computers in 4 computer labs and about 3 in every classroom, plus about 30 more in the library, everybody has access to the computers, but the new admin for the server decided to block every website and we can't do anything with them anymore. I can get around some websites but not all Crying or Very sad
brilliantbeauty
I go to a high-tuition private prep school, computers are more or less a given. Lets see. WE have Upper school commons, the Student Research Center, plus four in every promary classroom, so that makes about 100. And about another 200 laptops. Very Happy
deathstilllies
our school has just got new computers with flat screen there pretty damn sick, im on it now in IT.
does anyone know if the web hosting you get through here is completly free?
cnnet
off course our shcool have computers
we could get lots of informationg with this tool
schizolo
Computers in school is a good think.... When some youngest children are looking on a internet that is good... But how about a some security on windows like a porno sites and some of that thing ??
Rieteke
We also have computers at our school (in Belgium).
The problem is that they are not really in good shape and they are very slow.
When we have to work on them for a certain lesson we lose most of the time by starting up and uploading our documents at the end of the lesson.
Is that the same for your schools or is my school pretty poor? Laughing
idrather_not
I wouldn't know about normal school. I go to the Science Academy (Its a public high school). Our school is over run with computers. Left and right, you can't walking into a classroom with out seeing 27 Dell computers, a Dell Projector, and Tv equiped with video and dvd player. |Thats all|
dexterius
When i was in basic school, there were no computer at all ! Then in high school we have some. In fact it was really good, because we had many ( about 40-50) computer, in school for about 500 children. This was really great i think, cos i live in Slovakia and thats a lot when i consider other schools. Now in University it's ok. There are many computer, but i think that every student have one on it's own. So there is no need now ...
poland21489
Here in good old Connecticut, we have about a one computer for every 3 students. That means there's essentially ALWAYS a computer available for use. Unfortunately, we have no pc classes except for typing and a watered down 'computer graphics' course. I put it in quotes because all you do is talk about 'pixels' and at the VERY end use a pathetic morph program.
But really, I can't complain, we have it pretty good.
ternoah
I think that every school must have computers. We are allowed during classes to make our projects on the computer. which is really great when you don't feel like doing anything and just play games on the computers.
cfackler
My school invested in Apple computers a long time ago. They decided to keep with the trend and continue buying and upgrading machines from Apple. Every teacher has his or her own personal iBook, which they can take home for grading and such. My school also uses the PowerSchool grading software from Apple. One of the nice features of this system is the ablilty of students to check their grades from their home computers.

Although I used to despise Apple computers owing to the fact that all my elementary school had was Apple II+s, they have greatly upgraded since then. Now almost all the machines in the building are using OS X, making for a much better computing experience.
cueno
My school just bought about 25 new IMAC G%s ....there amazing even though I don't really like MACs. [/quote]
tdlinkin
My school has computers and i think that it is a good thing. People are always saying that people can get into trouble with computers but i say why make yourself in trouble. You dont have to do something stupid it was your choice to do it so take the responsiblity. Not everyone has the wrong motives when they get on a computer anyway. The problem is people and there own selfish motives for doing things. The would rather please themselves than think of other people. They are very egocentric like little toddlers. Its their way or a mess on the computers that the administrators take to in a bad light for all people and thats not fair. It doesnt make sence but i still go for computers. Those people that are buttheads can go to an alternative school. Thank you. Idea Idea Idea Brick wall
RoNiN
i kinda go to a rich school, but it's not all that rich, theres some gangstas there.. lol, but anyways we have like 20 computer labs I don't even know how many, of course the teachers have like 1 each and then in chemistry rooms or something there are like 40 computers, and then 40 computers per lab, so that's a lot of computers.
nilsmo
My school has about 1250 students, and about 250 year-old Dell Optiplex desktops with 512MB of RAM... It's a free public school, too Smile
FlyingBurrito4
My school has a bunch of computers but it's unbelievable the blocking they put on it. I mean even things like Google is blocked, not to mention ESPN, Yahoo, etc... It used to be not so bad, but they really tightened it up and now you can't go to any "non-school related" site without getting caught. Normally there are ways around the blockers but I don't even dare trying it anymore.
cole09mcfc
we have just had new computers installed with more RAM and a bigger hard drive. Some websites are blocked but they can be easily pinged to gain access.
Weeminator
Our school has computers. We have like 10 in the library which can be used whenever they are open. The classrooms each have like 4 computers that can be used for classwork.
eku53ru
My school does have computers - every teacher has at least one in their room, if not more. It also have a few computer labs and computers in the library, but what I do on the computers is rather limited. I still have a lot of freedom to do what I want, though.

For instance, people are not allowed (for obvious reasons, though some are rather lax on this rule) to go on teachers' computers. In the computer lab, the biggest rule is that no one's allowed to visit MySpace. Laughing It doesn't affect me since I don't have one, but thanks to the network firewall/security, quite a number of websites are blocked because of the oddest reasons. I remember doing research that led me to a blocked site because the terms used on the page were regarded as "full of profanity."
broadparker
I'm totally agree with many others here. Computers is good for teaching stupid students a lesson in the using computers to solve daily tasks... Some people would never understand computers though, and for them it's better to use their time on something else
Pyro Man
We have a computer in nearly every class room, and about 30 in all 5 ict rooms one for every class student, plus a science ict room with about 25 in it. and about 7 in the school libary. and around 15 in the electrics room, 25 in the graphics room and about 5 in the other DT rooms all 2003/2004 Dells
abhiworld
From a global perspective, there is a huge difference in the availability of computers in school.

Computers are fairly common in US/Europe/Japan and other developed countries.
Computer penetration in asian countries is just begun to pick up now, though a vast majority is still devoid of it.

Africa, well, that's another story.
Pyro Man
The computers in our school are trashed. Within a few months they get trashed. They are just cheap.
the_mariska
Well, there's one thing I like about the computers in my school - every student gets free web space and an email account. Unfortunately, when you graduate from the school (and I'll have done so in 2 months) your website is deleted with no warning :/
dreamgames
In france, i think that most of school have computers, but in highschools have restrected access, so i can't do everything you want!!
I think every school should have computers, it's so useful for all kind of works!
bulek
In out high school, we have restricted access to computer. We only have user privileges, not admin, so we can't install any program software. We also have routers, so ports are closed too. Computers have two disks: on first one are installed windows, programs etc. and on second are our documents. First disk drive resets on every reboot, so computers are working fast all the time, because there are not any spyware, adware, viruses etc. However, we have pretty fast and new computers with LCD monitors, so it's not so bad after all.
Pyro Man
Ours are slow with CRT monitors. The following is blocked

MP3 download sites
Chatrooms
Game sites
Porn Sites
Cheat Sites
Any image searchers
MSN
Hotmail
Gmail
Many other email providers
Any downloads, and download sites, so stuff has to be opened instead of saved. www.onlinemessenger.nl worked for a while, until some stupid girl spread it round school, so it was blocked
NG
my skool has laptops nva hardly alowed to use em
ethan182
my school has a computer lab of about only 30 computers and they are all crap.. everyone of them, even the server, is windows 95. its pretty pathetic cuz my school is in a rich place in my city and everything in it is shitty. we have to eat on the flippin gym floor. im fed up. our stage is full of workout equipmen. only our teachers have a windows xp professional.
[FuN]goku
ethan182 wrote:
my school has a computer lab of about only 30 computers and they are all crap.. everyone of them, even the server, is windows 95. its pretty pathetic cuz my school is in a rich place in my city and everything in it is shitty. we have to eat on the flippin gym floor. im fed up. our stage is full of workout equipmen. only our teachers have a windows xp professional.
ours are pants too, they're all pentuim 3's with novell and windows 2000, theyre slow as f***
northgalaxy
My school has alot of computer, theres a bunch in the library and we have 3 computer labs but most sites are blocked
jimbo12
my school has a bunch of dells that are crap becuase they are about 4 years old. And other students are jerks and trash them. Our graphic design program though has brand new power mac g4 desktops though
meet in rio
I go to boarding school and we have a crazy number of them. Internet cuts out at midnigjt, tho'. Sad
Mgccl
our computer have loads of restrictions...
muffinman
Our school has about 500 computers, and 300 labtops. The computers are placed in the library, computer rooms, offices, etc. and each classroom has one. They are really fast (3.2ghz) and labtops are used in classroom activites. The school grade ranges from kindagarden to 12th grade, and even the little kids uses computers. Once this group of high school students stole around 50 labtops and sold it... which was a big problem. Also many people try to put games, etc to the mainshare folders and we used to play a lot, but they hired new monitors so we get our account banned if we play/put games on them.
Ms.Pseudo
We have about 30 computers in my school, and 80 students. And every teacher has their own computers also. We have really good computers (PC), but that's because we study animation and cinematography, and would get nothing done with old computers. Next year we are going to have few mac also.
parentaladvisory
we have tons of computers, 3 computer labs with 30 in each and then every room has at least one. and, we're the secong poorset school in the state. connecticut is just awesome. Very Happy
Aredon
Our school has an abundance of computers both Mac and PC, i seriusly can't even count them, but they are all conected to the same server which is being run by complete idiots.. so its down a lot, next year we are all getting our own laptops. I just hope that there is someone to actualy fix them when they are broken, not for me, for all those computer illiterate people in my school lol.
bladesage
Of course we do! We have hundreds of them! Our student-to-computer ratio is 1.5:1, one of the best in the state!
assex
I also have an entire laboratory full of computers. There are aabout 40 of them. Then, there's a couple in the staff room and a big one in the library.

In fact, there's a subject called computers where the syllabuss has somewhat the basics of HTML, PHP and JavaScript. If you take up that subject later in about the 9th grade, then you get to learn Java Programming....COOL!
rudisemar
I feel we have a problem with high technology in computer. May be in our computer that we use now, tomorrow or after tomorrow we must to upgrade quickly if we woldn't to be late in hightech in computer.
Gieter
We have six classes with computers, and then we also have other locals with computers (for geology, physics,...) There are fast and slow computers. Right now we're I'm in one of the six computer classes, and I'm supposed to make an essay, but I'm a bit bored. We may however, use some computers after school or during midday.
Vashni
I start tech school this fall. We have computer labs and almost everyone has a computer of their own. Its actaully kinda nice though, the school has a contract with Dell so we get cumputers pretty cheap. they're not enough for me though, i use my mega gaming machine at home, lol.
anthonygerbils
yeah we have 33 computers but our teacher does care what you go on unfortunalty but luckly she is not allways there so we dop get to surf on our own accord sometime but not often.
and the bad thing is we only get to use computers up to 3rd year not inc 3rd year. Sad but we still do on free classes so its ok. Smile
Ghost Face
We have a Mac lab and 2 Windows labs.

I'm in the Mac lab Sad Evil or Very Mad

It's a freakin old eMac (like the very first ones that came out) with 9.2.2 OS

Told ya it was old..
Aredon
My school has an obsession with macs too, we have... like 3 mac labs, and two PC labs, the techlab has mostly macs, but i think we have maybe 4 pcs in there now.
dz9c
Every single one of the rooms in my school has at least 2. Then theres the 4-5 computer labs with like 30 each and then the library etc etc..
TurkishGamer
Theres a lot in my school. At least one in each classroom. A few computer rooms with about 30-35 and a set of about 20 labtops for use in some classes. I get to use the labtops 9th period in "intro to java" class I am taking. Btw- I hate the teacher. All he does is talk and play games and play funny videos. I taught so little in his classes and yet he gave me a B because I played a game in class because I was done with my project extra fast
Xcelerate
I had typed a long 3 paragraph rant about school restrictions on computers for this topic, but then I decided better and deleted it.

Anyway, yeah, our school has Dell Pentium 4s. (With the overpriced flatscreens.)
adam.eickhoff
we have about a thousand computers in our highschool. we had the biggest school in michigan for a while but now we are the second if I am correct. We have Novell and Lightspeed set up on our servers and they filter the shit out of everything. cant play games or anything that would resemble a game. they pretty much did an Allow/deny at our school and we can only go to research sites and "productive" sites.
sujan
ya
there is 212 computers in my college
there are 2 halls where theyre
it is fun to be in computer class
refes
i don't really know what is this topic about;P so... in my school there are some computers in the library;P nice... but they work on linux;P and our ladies in the library (they are old and of course terrible) can't use this os;P so... there is always a big problem if you want to use these computers;P They don't know what to do with this mashines;P and when i say, that i've got linux at home, i hear only, that i should keep silence:P nice, don't u think??
Hogwarts
--
NjRocket
i would be pretty shocked walking into school and not seeing any computers. With technology these days, i'm pretty sure most if not all the schools have computers in the school. Maybe they don't have computers in classrooms, but in the library or labs for sure.
curnow
we have a few comp. labs with around 30 computers a small one with around 15 a bunch in the library and a lab with new acer comps however they took out the cd drives to stop people like me transfering things from my comp to it and vice-versa.
Frozen Balrog
Computer keep school from being the most boring thing ever Exclamation Yeah, we have over a hundred in our school of 1600 people. There is one in every room for the teacher and then 12 in each computer lab (don't know how many labs) There is probably nigh on 30 computers in the library. In my First block class we fix computers brought in by teachers and students and it is so awsome cause when we finish we just get free reign on the comps. Also we have fun with the school network Wink So yeah i definatly think schools should continue with the whole computer internet thing.
enzyme1
My school has a fare few computers so much so that a third of our library is dedicated to them.
the other 2 thirds of the library isn't used.
Theopolo
LandShark wrote:

In my school we have 2 computerclass. We have group, who can use those class. We are "V.I.P" Group. No one else cant go there without teachers permission.
We have "library", where we can spend our lunch hours. There we have 5 computer. We can use computer 15min/person.

Sorry my bad english Smile
Leetch
Haha stop fighting guys jes.

in Australia most schools have over 2 pc rooms

In my school 7k students 1 pc every 3 students
i can't remember how many rooms we got there
everywhere, sometimes we have a huge lan
with like Cod2 its awsome there was like 100 players
you basicly respawn and you dead or you get a kill then
you die, yes my school is ultra rich we got everything
If you don't wana get bombed come to Australia
We've never got bombed?

Oh lmao i love at school im in a dt
i sneak out and go to 1 of the computer rooms
and press ctr (Arrow key) it turns the monitors
sideways hahaha , one time i almost got cought
but i said i love poneys and im a good little boy.
Dimaod
I have like 16 computers in my school, i am working at them 2 times a week in my informatiń lessons.
Al is good but my teacher doesnt let me to work at the internet =)

But i always do it Razz
Bob Simmons
deeblue wrote:
4 sure we have. i think every school has computers . We live in the 21th century ! Shocked

My school has some, but it was really ignorant for you to say that all schools have them because they don't. Sorry if you apologized for it; I don't have time to read all the posts
Neo7
My school got a new "portable computer lab" for teachers. Comes with 20 or so iBooks and have less performance than a rock.

Man...I though Mac couldn't get worse and it outdoes itself once again. Turning them on can take hours and it takes about 5-10 min for them to boot up. As for the wireless internet and most programs, I won't even go there.

Though laptops at our desks in class is indeed cool.
Rmgk
i think my school has 600 computers and 2000 students, and its a public school.

But you will get tracked on going on a forum and ur interent will be revoked or something.
john01385
hey guys, interesting thread.
i go to a private school in the south of france where every student is given a laptop to own for the time when there at the school. on top of that every classroom has a white board, projector, computer, dvd/video player. in my opinion it's fantastic. so many things in school can be done so much faster, history essays/english notes/maths software/design software/digital arts/geography info... the list goes on. another huge advantage of everyone having coputers is that everyone is connected to eahc other on the school network, emails/filesharing/printersharing/IM is soo easy. on average i use a computer for 4-5 hours a day in school. i think they've really improved my learning.
Smile
r1bb17
LandShark wrote:

sharkie from d2???

lolol its koda whats up
spinifex
I went to a private school with plenty of computers - maybe 500... and they are quite distracting. They are meant to be used for school work but most of the time the students end up using the internet or just downloading games and playing them. The school did make an effort to block out some sites but there were ways around it. I got an education of the internet at least Laughing

I now go to RMIT melbourne where computers are Abundant, there are probably 5000 on campus. the university doesnt block too much stuff, mainly hotmail and MSN for security purposes but they are everywhere and the internet connection is very fast. And in a course like mine, computers are essential so they provide all the appropriate software and its top notch stuff.

Without computers in school, we would be going backwards in a technological sense, but there has to be a way of making sure the students are focussing on their work instead of wasting time.
aerialdreams
I've just found out that the new high school I'm going to has, like, 6 different computer labs with tons of computers in each!! I just love it! But then again, since it's a residential high school, everyone has their own laptops already! Very Happy it's gonna be awesome! XD
Th3St1ck
My school has like 3-5 computers in each room, and like 40some computers in the computer lab
Hogwarts
john01385 wrote:
hey guys, interesting thread.
i go to a private school in the south of france where every student is given a laptop to own for the time when there at the school. on top of that every classroom has a white board, projector, computer, dvd/video player. in my opinion it's fantastic. so many things in school can be done so much faster, history essays/english notes/maths software/design software/digital arts/geography info... the list goes on. another huge advantage of everyone having coputers is that everyone is connected to eahc other on the school network, emails/filesharing/printersharing/IM is soo easy. on average i use a computer for 4-5 hours a day in school. i think they've really improved my learning.
Smile

Question: Do you know how to hand write neatly ;p
Mannix
My school has a monitoring program where they can see what you see on your screen, pretty annoying when you need to quick get on and check something(though a linux live CD works well for getting around it.).
Dustylunchbox
my school is one of those alternative schools which there are usually alot of losers at but surprisingly the kids at mine are pretty cool anyway its totally computer based and they have like a laptop per student and it works awsomely well. and if kids cant afford their own laptops they can be borrowed from the school. mind you the internet is often down Sad but still its awosme every school should have it.!!!!
shun
My school has computers, with internet too.
One thing though, is that there's a system that blocks most of the "game/ recreational" sites, such as xanga, gamespot, gamefaqs,etc.
The wost of all is that they block the yaho and msn emails too, i don't know why, but it does not make a lot of sense to me. Therefore, even though we have typed up essays in the school computers, there's nearly no way to email the essays back to us......
So I don't really use my school computers
john01385
Quote:
Question: Do you know how to hand write neatly ;p

yeah, my hand writing is ok, all my exams have to be hand written Sad, some of my teachers can't write thought - because they have been usinig computers so much.
it seems like computer based schools will become the norm. seems a good idea, students just have to accept that they're there for learning not games!
unicorn1
I think a lot of schools have computers, but a lot of schools dont
bernardnapoleon
yeah our school have many computer espcially in our library and also in my building since im taking up BS Computer Science. Though we are able to use internet there it is still limited because our schools sever block websites like friendster and they try to make it solely for research.
38club
deeblue wrote:
sure.... a agree with this ... my school also has computer but is only got 35... so is too litle not enough for student....
intekmdma
When I read this title I just had to answer!! I remember when I was still in high school, typing wasn't a problem for me, so I just zoomed through those old IBM computers and spent the rest of class time surfing online. Then when I was in the graphics designing class, while doing my class work I would play neopets online! haha! After I got my car, I spent my Jr. and Senior year in my Oracle class looking for parts to buy on ebay! what a life. Public schools... ahh..
Spe_eddy
we have four computer rooms, each with about 25 computers in, and nearly every other classroom in the school has a computer in as well, we are very lucky! Smile
john01385
i have already posted on this thread, saying that in my old school every person had a laptop given (loaned) to them for their time at the school. but the thing is, it doesnt matter how many computers you have - what matters is the way in which you and teachers use them. fortunately for me all the teachers knew their way around a computer well enough to use them efficently and productively in the class room. however in a previous school there were a few computer rooms of a hundred or so PC's each but none of the teachers knew how to use them well enough and lets face it, kids are always gonna be quicker with a PC than adults so everyone was able to stay one step ahead of the teacher (not in a positive learning way).
just a thought!
john01385
i have already posted on this thread, saying that in my old school every person had a laptop given (loaned) to them for their time at the school. but the thing is, it doesnt matter how many computers you have - what matters is the way in which you and teachers use them. fortunately for me all the teachers knew their way around a computer well enough to use them efficently and productively in the class room. however in a previous school there were a few computer rooms of a hundred or so PC's each but none of the teachers knew how to use them well enough and lets face it, kids are always gonna be quicker with a PC than adults so everyone was able to stay one step ahead of the teacher (not in a positive learning way).
just a thought!
john01385
argh - sorry, page messed up
mayur
we have around 6-8 labs in each building with a holding of 100 computers.

yet most of the students carry their notebooks[lappies] to class.

PS: I gotta admit, even I do....
hobbkins
Our yearbook class just got 17 new Dell Optiplex pcs with intel dual cores inside with Adobe Creative Suite 2 to boot. Pretty sweet I must say.
KakkoiiTGN
My school has tonnes of computers, but internet access is really strict. 80% of websites are blocked on it.
SnoopDizzile
Ya our school has like 70 Computers throughtout the school, and we only have around 200 kids in it.
But 40 of them are Dells and 30 are crappy Celerons..old peices too..not even nice ones
Crystal_tear
yeah, they let us get on the computer when we want... and they don't really care what we get on, as long as it's not as bad as porn or something.
wendy86
deeblue wrote:

I agree with you idea, because my school also got computer
undoweb
I don`t like, that in my country in school doesen`t have macs, but they have intel`s and the internet conection is slow, to slow for a scool! I can do meny tricks with the teachers computer ( the server ), shut it down and do some cool things!
angel_of_death
ok, i may be in india, but we got lotta comps in the leb here, abt 100 i guess. the are not all that good, but we still have em. Cool i think our lab is the best in the country, we hav an award 4 it Very Happy
allanxiao
There is no words I can use to describe my hateness of my school computers. Even some university websites are blocked, how the hell can I check the application information~?
yhtsolutions
we have many computers in school and we can use it almost anywhere..
dalordvirus
allanxiao wrote:
There is no words I can use to describe my hateness of my school computers. Even some university websites are blocked, how the hell can I check the application information~?

sux.. reallly sux bad but use ur social engineering methods and communication skills to rope in the sys admin Very Happy I did so Very Happy
konflikt
Wow. This is something interesting. Let me begin.

I work in a public school that has 2 computer labs, each containing 30 PCs. Most classrooms have PCs in them. Ten here, 4 here, 7 there. More in the Library. PCs(or Macs) can be great learning tools. Endless possibilities. But those possibilites will never be realized when students are playing games, downloading this or that, or just plain "not paying attention". Don't get me wrong, I love computers as much as anyone here. Did my fair share of hacking, cracking, hell, even smacking. Built them, tore them down, rebuilt them, played around with the OS, all that. But there's a time for work and a time for play. I know the words I type in this text input box will make no difference, but dammit, I'm tired of not saying anything. Judging by the spelling and grammar of the posters on this thread, I would say I have made a fairly safe assumption. And before you get it twisted, I'm not taking a jab at the folks from other countries who may or may not speak(or write) limited English. This is directed at the folks right here in the States. Not talkin' s**t, talkin' truth.

Damn, I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one. Very Happy
sketteksalfa
It just make me disappointed when i remember my highschool times. Our highschool used to have computers; but only the higher section have computer subjects. Thats what they call elective subject, while lower sections have steno or typing classes as their elective. We also have computers in our library, but since our school doesnt have enough to pay electric bills, they just use it for special occassion. Its just like a display in our library.
cyclescape
My school has 33 computers with 30 computers its a massive high school
with its own link up with nasa!
venkateshwarans
Yes, we do. THere are hundreds of schools even without benches Crying or Very sad
Alias
Our school have 2 computer labs and each lab contains hmm... for about 30 computers I think. But all the computers are so slow the specs are so old... Sad

Though I'm still learning cause some of our professors are good in teaching programming and networking... Very Happy
rohan2kool
deeblue wrote:

ohh.. i thought it was the 19st century Smile)

jus' joking

(ignore me)
UWereTheOne
I'm at a private school and we have one computer lab with 22 fairly good computers. But we aren't allowed to actually use them for research or anything like that, only for the two computer classes.
sumangurung
well, in my place only the lucky schools have computers. BUt that is cool considering the fact that when i was going to school, no school had computers. I first used computers at school when i was in high school. But now am a regular user.
I personally think that computers should be provided in school. It is one tool that you want to be using in life.
Srs2388
I hate the computers at my school.... I do my work on the one im am on now... *it is at my house* because if a floppy disk fails the computer deletes the work off the hard drive after every reboot... (I found this out the hard way)
jcvincent
we have copmputers at school but the accounts that we use are just for intranet. just for programming sake anf the likes. Web designing and database. Hehe. Only professors have internet access. But if you use the account of INTERNET, you can have internet access. but its only legal as long as the IT officers do not find out. hehehe.
hofodomo01
lol we have 9 computer labs, in addition to a media center (library), plus each classroom has its own set of computers. we run windows nt on it....nothing impressive though, but the art classes use macs...
masquerade
Yeah we have pcs in our school just got five new computer rooms this year as well as at least 40 in the library and an internet caffee in our 'Learn to' centre. Only at the moment because all the computera are new we're only allowed to use the ones in the library and only for 'school work'. That doesn't stop us much, though we move if there's a 6th former needing to do their A-level work. We have blocks on the pc's but php-proxy sites get through those no problem.
ncwdavid
Our school has loads of computers and a really fast internet connection but all the good sites are blocked if you know what I mean. Id love to be able to unblock the firewall somehow which is controlled is the office on a special computer.
multypersonality
yes i we can use and have Razz
if you have a laptop you can take to school.. i havent got one :S
and of course the school has its own computers which you can use.
but they are windows Evil or Very Mad
Pikokola
allanxiao wrote:

yay.. that's sux I believe that the admin try to prevent user to acces porn site or something like that, but in the end, he is blocking usefull site too Razz
perkuypers
Our school has about 65 computers which we can use quite often. But alot of sites are blocked too Sad (hate that).
monzoncf
Well, in our school, we have two computer rooms and has 30 to 50 computers in each room and we used it a lot. It is very helpful if the school has a computers on it. I will help the studen learn more about their subjects, conduct some research and all the stuff. But the fact that we dont hadle the mind of others, they are making the computer in such a mess - putting some viruses, breaking the headsets, the cameras and keyboard. They even scratch the monitor! so bad! In our computer room, I hack it a lot, so I can access the Internet as long as I want (because we are not allowed to access the Internet). So, thats all.
cdesegovia
Lucky you. My computer teacher sucks!

Blaster wrote:
Yea my computer teacher rocks! We used to do all this creap before the school blocked all these sites.
jooize
This one time, at band camp! Twisted Evil

In our school we have 30 computers in almost every room, so we can sit and surf / chat on breaks ^^, and our teacher is pretty good too.
GOD13
pawelsz wrote:
My school have computers. There are 3 computer rooms, about 15 computers in each. I don't have computer lessons yet (I'll have it when I go to next class Mr. Green) but I know the computer rooms well Smile

Yeah me to exceept I am taking computer lessons and we have about 25 computers in each room. Yeah we only got 3 computer rooms, got something to say about it??
ChrisL
Yes, We do have computers in our school. We have Graphics Communications, Tech Ed, Graphic Design.... And, MORE.... Thanks for asking about that have a nice day.
oreoblizzard
s that supposed to be an insult to America? How about this? Dont be a biased idiot speeking out against stuff he doesnt know. Hardly any schools in america actually have vedning machines(all mainly high schools too)and there are laws against having actual "cola" as you called it in them. It cant be pop. It has to be fruit drinks or sport drinks. No pop allowed =)

Haiderim
today i leaked internal exams question papers from main computer Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
darvit
Yup, my school has a university computing system, and so computers aren't a problem. Smile There are a set of rules ot follow, but they're all reasonable and logical anyway. Very Happy

Anyone could simply come and go and use the computers, as long as they have a network ID and password. We get email accounts and 1 FTP account, too. It's a great deal. Very Happy
darrenpaul
We have a major computer infrastructure at our school. All sponsored by Microsoft. A excellent intranet, 2 students to every PC. Distance learning...Data projectors all over the place. Free expensive software.
Blaster
darrenpaul wrote:
Free expensive software.

oxymoron....

Yea thats pretty cool. The computers for our CAD class (computer aided drafting) Have some pretty cool CAD programs on them. There pretty expensive too. Its a program called AccuCad.
skygaia
Sure...
We are living in technology era. I think most school have computers as enough as students need.
I'm in Korea. IT industry has very developed here. Now we can't imagine our live without computers.
2 or 3 years ago, I'm not sure, there was big accdient in the computer network line here. So many people couldn't access to internet.
Therefore most of them got nerverse. nowadays computer, exactly internet, is a part of life. It's not option, it's compulsury to live now.

There are many places where can be accessed to internet with wireless.
It's amazing.. ^^
magilos
Here in my school in philippines we can use computers anytime even if we dont have classes. The ratio of computers in my school is 1 computer per student. But other school here in philippines still doesn't have computers.
dstrawn
I like the computers in the school

But i hate websense!!!
vita
I am allowed to use computers at my school, yeah.

If they are available to the students, it is a complete waste of money to have them.
Captain Fertile
I recently had an argument with one of the teachers at my 8-year-old son’s EX-school. I discovered how they were handling his problem with untidy handwriting – by letting him use a computer whenever possible!!!!!!!!!

I went ballistic and explained that while keyboard skills may well be an important skill these days there will be times in my son’s life, I am sure, when he will be required to write something important out by hand in such a manner that other human beings are able to understand it. Am I wrong or isn’t that a teacher shirking responsibility?

We have worked with him at home and changed schools now and his writing has improved ten fold.

Computers in schools are not always a good thing.
guugu
almost every class in our school have computers. Im studying to be nerd Very Happy
TurboPerformance
yea we have just got like 300 brand new computers with lcd screens they are mad 3 gig procesors 2gig of ram our teachers just let us bring games and pop them in and use the network to vs each other
The_Gamer294
TurboPerformance wrote:
yea we have just got like 300 brand new computers with lcd screens they are mad 3 gig procesors 2gig of ram our teachers just let us bring games and pop them in and use the network to vs each other

argh... the best we get in our school for games are mario forever and rasterwerks. I dont even know if rasterwerks has multiplayer capability or the server is just being gay.

lol and some ass who set up the firewall didnt block newgrounds. Instead they blocked the popup window's page.
shwetanshu
well when i was in school, each student was alloted one hr for computer usage daily with 512 kbps net connection... so we had full access... we could do anything except p0rn Laughing
JBotAlan
My school has...mmm...5-6 labs of 30ish computers each = 150-180 computers, new Dells or "thin clients" (machines that have no local storage--they do a network boot. they're uber slow Sad ). We still have a lab or 2 of old crappy IBM machines- 5 or 6 years old. That means dying hard drives, bulging capacitors (not covered anymore because the warranty is gone), bad power supplies...the CD-ROMs were gone years ago...

The Internet is pretty fast most of the time. However, we all go through our Novell BorderServer proxy where all the mainstream fun is blocked. A quick Google later and you're in luck. But the teachers will report you if they see you mucking with anything. Students have lost their privileges for going around the proxy (pretty easy if you know how to spell "Portable Firefox"). We all had to sign an agreement that basically says "If you're not doing something educational, you're going to lose your privileges".

In the morning, I can go into the library and do whatever I need to do on the machines there. I watch what I do because my internet activity all ends up in a log--not fun to explain why I visited game sites when I was in the library.

Flash drives are the biggest problem at our school. Kids *should* be bringing in their projects (think 13 mb PowerPoint file) and instead they are bringing in Portable (insert anything here). Usually Portable Firefox.

JBot
lusian
At my school there are close to 2000 computers. There are many computer labs with very good computers and high speed internet connection. On free periods anyone can go in them and they are also available for class reservations. Also almost every teacher has their own computer in their offices. The school also has wireless available in certain areas of the school, i.e. cafeterias, library and classrooms.

They do block some sites like web messenger and certain online game sites.

It costs 5 cents (Canadian) per page to print black and white, and 50 cents for color printing.

Each user has 30 mb of storage on a hard drive and anything that is saved on the computer other than on that hard drive is deleted once the machine is rebooted. The computers have what they call deep freezing.

Overall I think it's great. We can either use them on free time, for homework and classes.
pashmina
at my college there is many computers and i just love playing the games like counter strike and warcraft in the break times.
baronblod2007
PC's at schools are great, but the ones on mine... Embarassed
Windows 95...Supercrappy.
I can honestly say that those pc's are the worst I have tried in my life.
Im so not used to them, with my GamingMachine at home.
But it has a positive side 2;

U go to school. U use those sucky pc's, and when u get home, then the supermachine is awaiting..
Well, any computer would be pleasing after trying those on my school.. Razz
TribalArt
My school did have computers [I left by the way]

They ranged from the good, upto date fast computers to the very old chunky ones like 5 or 6 years old.

But we have some "SchoolSite Blocker" in force. It blocks out pretty much every website around. Even resource websites, for example they blocked all search engines except for Google. So we couldn't access Ask.com

We had found ways around it, simply go to the search engine and type in Language Translator Web. These displayed the websites inside their own site. Although they were very basic. We accessed myspace, but we couldn't post comments etc.
jon9314
We have like 50 something computer in the library and they on DSL and some of them are on a wireless connection. And hen there like 20 computer class's and business class's with at least 40 computers in it. And we have a tech room with like 60 computer in there. We proberly got more more but I dont really care. We have a brand new school so we have all these new things that no other schools has. We have some computer that connectes to a rapid prototyper and we can design and then have it make it. Schools spent so much money on computers and technology and everything else in schools.
shrinkwrap
My school has school-issued laptops and they have their ups and downs.

Positive:
-Note-taking is more interactive, one can go back and change notes
-Printing from computer
-Something to do in free time

Negative:
-Most people are just distracted by them and some spend their time finding out how to play Half-Life on their computer during class
-Adds more weight to already heavy bookbags
-Recklessness with electronics= more time, work, and money for help desk
Aimewitue
shrinkwrap wrote:

Negative:
-Most people are just distracted by them and some spend their time finding out how to play Half-Life on their computer during class
yes i agree,lot of peopleprefer play or make other thing like post a them blog ...but i think school computers's are not made for this usage
saratdear
We do have computers, but I am almost sure that students are not allowed to use the internet. One day the teacher warned us not to go on the net, because it is not allowed. She said that the principal had sent out two students one day for going to www.orkut.com
But the students of my class never give up. Wink
slchap5
our computers at our school are crap. but we have sooo many of them you can trash the one your on and then hop on to the next and keep working or what ever you were doing. the internet is so slow though. they have everything blocks and they have sooo many filters so that kids can't go many where that you take more time trying to figure out a way around the stupid filters than you acually spend doing something productive.
Chelissamow
We have tons of computers at our school but I think we should get more. Most non-computer classes are stuck using the library computers and there are only like 30 there. There should be more 'open' labs for students to work at...
JJGY
My entire school district is run off of a very sloppy integration of Windows network utilities and Altiris agent. After some poking around I figured out how incredibly innefficient our computers were, so my teachers actually let me have access to an account with good permissions and now, I'm basically a part time IT worker for my school. It's an interesting situation, but a great learning experience.
jon724
My schools got at least 500 computers or so, ranging from Dell to IBM to Apple. We also got a class set of laptops and wireless routers that you can set up if nessasary. The music department uses the Apple computers for music production and the rest of the computers are split between the regular classrooms and the Comm tech departments. Very Happy
Danielbeech
my school has loads of computers over 100 Exclamation it's a high school/college though the one problem is the stupid filters the local government make them us they are really bad and block everything Sad
The_Gamer294
at my school, its all quake 3 and mario. but now my teacher caught on and closed the lunch lab Sad
alkutob
Yes , in our schools in Jordan they began using computers in many learning subjects ...

1- learning computer skills is one of the subject that students must pass in and it is now planned for all students from the 1st prep. class .

2- Students are using computers in science lectures and math from 5th prep. class .

Here in Jordan is something different from all the arabic countries in the middle east .

The government and specially the ministry of education are giving a great efforts for improving the using of computer science from an earlier stage .
One of the student choices in the secondary level is Information Technology .

Jordan is one off the first countries that used computers in the arab world and know they began The electronic Government ...
You can do you driving licence test using the computer and many many other things

Thank you
NuniPio
our tafe is undergoing a new internet upgrade thingy where they're making a thing called a WHITELIST which is basically the opposite to a blacklist, only lets u visit the sites within the list and no other site, as opposed the the blacklist which doesn't allow you to visit the sites on the list
GDRanimation
l
Judgement
Our school has hundreds and hundreds of computers, we are alowed to use them pretty much whenever were not in the middle of a lesson. Many teachers let us play games too. Smile
oleszka
oh i remeber when i was at school we had such old computer like Pravetz or so. display was green and my eyes always got tired...

now better time... just not all schools have internet. and students just can use computer during computer lessons but not when they really need to use it..
DareDevilCP
LandShark wrote:

Lmao where in America do you live?Every school I have ever seen in Tennessee has computers.
Zruch
In my school I am able to use computer only when I have a computer lesson. But we don't have an internet there. On our lessons we usually learn to type in Word, work in Excel, use Paint, and stuff. I don't really respect my teacher - it seems I know much more about computers than she does.
zichlone
my school has way to many computers, we always misuse them, you just have to be smarter than the filter its not that hard. cant use a proxy in the browser? make a bypass website!!! even allows access to social amenities such as myspace, facebook, e.t.c.... ahaha myspace the downfall of the civilized world
kirby
My school like most in Australia has computers all windows based upgraed every three years.

We have internet although its rather slow at times 1.5mb connection shared over well over 100 computers and we are only allowed 8mb of bandwith a moth. We have the obvious stuff filtered but due to some people playing emulators nintendo has been banned as a keyword and in URLs although playstation and xbox is allowed Our sys admin is a fanboy.

We dont get much vandalism however I did some work as an apprentice over at another school doing sys admin work in the office we had 50 inch lcd exclusively for monitoring the computer rooms. But that school was heading over the bad side of town so no suprise.
silverdown
when i was in school i was never on the computer only because all the "passes" they had were taken even thought i was the FIRST student in the class the teacher passed them out the the people who come in after she did
FaLLeN
We have plenty of computers at my school. We have 4 computer rooms with about 20 in each, 1 of the rooms has a bunch of craps ones though...
It amazes me how much crap they put on them though, im suprised with all the background programs my school has running that the computers have enough RAM to do anything.
But there not mine i guess and they ain't gonna listen to me.
raaeft1
Computers are an integral part of our lives, especially student life......even I took up Computers as part of my higher education....My experience has been that my teachers were always ready to let us tinker with the computers so that we could learn something, and they also allowed us to use the net(this was last year), though it was banned by the authorities Rolling Eyes
But what I have seen that the computers in schools are inadequate according to the number of students, the OS and softwares are of old versions, and the syllabii are outdated, thus leading to inadequate knowledge....Also, not teaching about fundamentals like minor repairs cause excessive dependence on the help of engineers, who prove to be way too expensive.
I think that besides more computers, new softwares and all this 'extra' knowledge, schools should be provided with teachers who have both academic, and commercial experience in handling computers.
It should be a major subject, instead of the minor one it is.
seagullspirit
all schools should have computers judging by the age of technology we live in. Its a great means of getting access to so many things these days.
Vrythramax
seagullspirit wrote:
all schools should have computers judging by the age of technology we live in. Its a great means of getting access to so many things these days.

That is a great sentiment and I agree with you completely, but unfortunatly not all countries/states/communities can actualy afford the cost of the hardware (the major software most often used is provided at a very low cost, or free to educational institutions).

A computer for every classroom/student is a fantastic idea....but with all the ramifications involved (financial, political, etc.) it simply is not possible. Sad
Heart Ticket
LandShark wrote:

At our school we have computers we are allowed to use them... but they have blocks on most things like some games and porn. If you go on something like De-Proxy and type in the site you want to go on thats blocked. I did it once to see if it worked and i tried it on a porn site and i got caught! that really sucked.
justnewbie
Yes, we have a computer laboratory in our school. I meant my last school. However, most of us doesn't use the lab except for the IT students. Anyway actually as students we don't really have the use the computer laboratory because most of the students have their own laptops. And there's wi-fi access at o ur school too. Yes, free of charge.
TEACHNLAUGH
TEACHERS EACH HAVE 3 COMPUTERS - 2 WILL CONNECT TO THE INTRNET AT MY SCHOOL.
SHOULD THE FILTERS IN YOUR AREA BE STRONGER ? Razz

Edited by Vrythramax....Please do not use all capital letters in your posts, it can be mistaken as shouting.
pieman
At my college we have hundreds of computers - apparently it's a legal requirement to have at least one computer to every three students in England (can anyone confirm this?)

I remember in primary school, 7 or 8 years ago this was, having one computer per year group (well actually per 2 year groups as we were mixed). And going on the computer yourself was a termly treat! That was a total of 4 or 5 computers in the whole school!

I recently went back to the primary school in question, and they now have a dedicated computer suite with about 50 computers in there. How times have changed even in my short lifetime!
Heart Ticket
pieman wrote:
At my college we have hundreds of computers - apparently it's a legal requirement to have at least one computer to every three students in England (can anyone confirm this?)

I remember in primary school, 7 or 8 years ago this was, having one computer per year group (well actually per 2 year groups as we were mixed). And going on the computer yourself was a termly treat! That was a total of 4 or 5 computers in the whole school!

I recently went back to the primary school in question, and they now have a dedicated computer suite with about 50 computers in there. How times have changed even in my short lifetime!

yeh its true. Wierd legal requirment but its true...

James
StickHotel
i hate computers at school because everyone messes them up after they come out brand new
dule
yeah, at highschool the computer would be messed up preety bad, I dont know how they succeed to mess up a computer like that.

now I am at collage, and we have like 20 public computers that we can use, other than that.. only for the need of the collage Sad
Guelila
My school is loaded with computers, but they are all Macs... and Im not a big fan of macs, so I have a few problems using them.. Sad

Now Im starting to get used to them, but since I use windows at home, it's pretty hard to syncronize my homeworks...

I still prefer Windows..
spazbutt32
All ~1600 students in my school were assigned a MacBook through a federal grant.

This has since been recorded in history as the worst mistake anyone has ever made.

People are going wild with screwing up security, and it seems as soon as the tech staff catch someone bypassing the school's filter, someone's figured out how to hack past their restrictions and install.. an N64 emulator?

I mean, seriously, haven't seen anyone with Windows on it yet (it's Intel-based and can boot camp), which I did once and got punished for, but I know a -lot- of people with these emulators and it makes me sad as a total abuse of the system. :I
Shewolf
Guelila wrote:
My school is loaded with computers, but they are all Macs... and Im not a big fan of macs, so I have a few problems using them.. Sad

Now Im starting to get used to them, but since I use windows at home, it's pretty hard to syncronize my homeworks...

I still prefer Windows..

I have the opposite problem, tough it's not really a problem at all. I use mac, and "the rest" (school etc) use windows. You just have to know the solutions Wink

At my school there are a lot of computers. In every hall, and in special rooms. And from this year on we may use laptops as a part of our learning. Meaning insted of writing books etc. So some classes have got finacial support, as a try, to by their own computers. It all works very well, except from that the school network was (and is) not ready for such masses using it connecting to the inernet etc.
Vrythramax
we didn't have PC's when I went to school, the first machine I sat in front of was an IBM 360 that read punch cards. I currently work with a Cray Very Happy

Yeah I know I'm a dinosaur just looking for the right tarpit to fall into.
mjohnson
I study in a medical post-college,even all my classmate and I have a computer,most of them is laptop.and the network if free for us.In my spare time I always sit in front of my PC and surf on Internet.
erlendhg
Our school has just bought in 14 or 15 new computers (first time students has got access to computers at school! Shocked)

Unfortunately, the company that delivers the it solutions / systems is a bunch of n00bs, so everything is taking long time and not working very well Razz

Oh... and Yeah Cool I have cracked the admininstrator password on the computers Very Happy
squirrelmaster
We have 2 labs in the high school, I'm in the newer lab of about 25 to 30 computers, they are actually nice Pentium 4's with 1gb ram and 80gb HDD's, and 17inch flat screens....oh yeah.
The other lab has 20-25 and still has flat screens, but the computers are 1.5 to 2 years older.

But we do have a lot of sites blocked, which is why I made my own games site and I change its directory name so its unblocked again whenever they do block it, so i guess i am getting a little more popular because of it since everyone wants to play games, so HA to the man Razz

oh and we have 'mobile labs' where they have 20 laptops; and the classes esp. English can do research on them, but the wifi is nice because I can get on the internet at lunch from my palm tx. They really should password protect it Rolling Eyes

i guess the reason my school has a good lab is because we are the county seat, ive visited a smaller school and they have 10 pentium 1 or 2's, it makes me feel sorry for them...
achowles
My school did. Just about barely. That was back in about the mid to late nineties. The first Pentiums were out. AMD was a non-entity. But somehow we had these primitive green screen 286 computers that were at least a decade old. I suppose that you could just about call those computers.

Most schools in the UK now have no shortage of computers though so things have moved on a bit since then. I suppose that Blair did deliver on one count at least.
satyamy
LandShark wrote:

Oh yes offcourse Schools must have Computer
In my school Computer Started when i was in 8th STD
now they are giving Computer to 1st Standard Students also
in 1st they teach Keyboard Typing to students
& in 2nd they starts MSPaint & yes it is good
Today Computer is not just same as Calculator which is use for Account purpose but it the time for
Computer Age
Titanium & Core 2 Duo
jabapyth
my school's pretty good with computers: we've got about 2 computer labs, 1 mac lab, and a big library w/ about 30 PCs in it.
xbcd
yeah i am also at school right now. We can do what we want but teachers are gettin into trouble for excess allowing of students to surf the web. I however am great in this class and my teacher don't care what i do.
bartdou
deeblue wrote:

most have, computer is everywhere now, one day they will dominate us, it's not fiction in the film, it will be true.
missdixy
My high school does (did?? I just graduated ha) but we just recently got a few good computers (some macs, some dells.) Before that we had ancient computers which didn't even have CD-Rom drives.
PadraigCurran
Our computers suck and we don't even have computer classes. The most we have ever done is make a word document. Ignorant teachers.
sabe
It seems all of you are missing something... Why do we need them in school? I teach computers in middle school & feel they are essential.

Unfortunately, many of you are just looking for a new place to play games and serf the web. Believe it or not there are some students that don't know how to type, use a word processor and use the Internet. I think the technical divide is something that will separate us and is another problem that separates those that have and those that have not.

Unfortunately I have students that are good at cheat codes, game play & hacking but can't put together a coherent thought or read a VCR manual or solve a problem that is not scripted for them.

I think that, in schools they are still toys and most teachers don't know how to use them. I am still trying to get them to be core and not fluff...

Yes... it is boring but school is not for amusment it is for learning. Play time is before after and summer. Rolling Eyes
Dalv87
During study halls or after school they'll usually let you use them for anything as long as the blocking program doesn't stop it (the blocking program seems to have days when it doesn't care where you go, and other days when it'll block the New York Times' website, it's weird). My electronics class has a lot of computers in it since a lot of the engineering classes use the room and we use them too for getting datasheets and doing simulations and so on. About half of us use them for those purposes and get good grades, the other half spends the whole period on youtube every day and then wonder why they're failing.
Neo7
I hated the computers at my school. Something about macs that just makes me want to destroy.
missdixy
Neo7 wrote:
I hated the computers at my school. Something about macs that just makes me want to destroy.

God, I hear you there.
At my high school, we had to do all of the work on the student newspaper on macs. It was a painful days.
krazy
Most school i know have computers
but i also know they can be a very big pain .
as most things get blocked in the UK
such as online games, and frihost at school!
so i think there is no need for the internet to be on them over in the UK as you can hardly get on anything as it is.
vaughands
Our school computers are almsot break proof, however one day by accident I got full adminstrator privelleges, in my agreement I had to report how it was done i think they fixed and they seem to block everything with 'no educational value'
Fanghai44
yo man, the vending machines at our schol sux. i mean...it takes your money, makes some sounds and it wont spit it back out. or maybe it was just because i put a 5 dollar bill in, but vendi machines should be able to take 5 dolalr bills rite? anyways, i tried to shake it out but it wont work. I asked the cusotidan to unlock the machine but he wont do it because it was private property and he can't open it unless he is given specific orders to do so. so i had to wait and complain to my headmaster about how the stupid machine broke down and he then gave me another 5 dollar bill.

bottom line is: dont buy off of vending machines. and to add on to the thing with the computers and stuff. i definately think that tehre shoudl be computers along with vending machines. I mean, how can students live without computers/ computers are essential for many classes, such as math, engligs, history research, computers, languages, and many many more. i can't live a day without internet. and i'm a student XD

-Yofriend
XQX
jabronie25
My computer has how many computer classes. I had one this year but school ended. ANyways we get little work in that class so i usually go online or do other stuff. Too bad alot of sites are blocked
Seiorai
Of course we have computes at school...not the best, but we can use them allright lol.
Thank goodness, for living in a decently civilized country, I imagine not the same can be said for African countries...or some South-American..or middle-east...

But yes, the computers at my school are decently usable, as one would expect from PCs which are being used every day for hours in a row and with no care from their users....
alexdude
The computers at my school have such a crappy connection to the internet. They have a internet website blocker that blocks almost every website, even if it doesn't have any bad content.
gong_05sk
my school is not suppot computer. i hope in the future they can make it
Davidgr1200
The school where my son goes has computers but most of them have been donated by parents. Computers are expensive and need to be replaced regularly so it's not easy for the school to be able to afford them. It's difficult when the school has to choose between buying in 50 books or one computer.
Seiorai
Davidgr1200 wrote:
The school where my son goes has computers but most of them have been donated by parents. Computers are expensive and need to be replaced regularly so it's not easy for the school to be able to afford them. It's difficult when the school has to choose between buying in 50 books or one computer.

Indeed it can be pretty hard a choice, but if you consider what a computer connected to the Internet can offer those kids, I would personally lean towards a PC.
pll
I agree with sejorai!
Im lucky, I got a lot of computers at my school (at least 3 computer labs with 30 computers in each). Some of them are with windows 98 but they can still work.
blackheart
I have a vague memory of posting in this topic on page two or three back in the day, but things have changed a little.

My school has computers everywhere - in the careers library, the library, the vis com room has it's own lab, the vce another lab... they're dotted in various classrooms... and then we're a laptop school so there's nearly a thousand laptops lying around on top of that.

We have our own techies and everything. S'great.
jynxanims
Yeah. Our sschool has them. Especially in the library, there's like 50. 10 of which are brand new, and are clean flat screens from Dell. All the others are fatass huge pieces of crap. Doesn't matter though, the schools network goes so effing slow.
HollyK
The honours program at my school has laptops we can sometimes check out (the program is somewhat separate from the rest of the school). The school computers are kinda decent (Except the thin, or dumb clients... Some of the older ones are made by the "Wyse Corporation). There is a wireless network, but it's keyed, so I can't use it with my MacBook.
friuser
All through my highschool there weren't computers readily available in classrooms. The only computers are windows nt computers in one room that is under lock and key most of the time. The other computer rooms use 5 1/2 inch floppies obsolete nowadays and all we could do was BASIC.

Sad isn't it?
secondeye
My high school had one computer room and we had just barely gotten one computer hooked up for internet access before I graduated. I graduated back in 2000, so that was a while ago. At college there were many computer rooms, and all had internet access. I don't think it locked many sites out because I noticed some students accessing porn sites once or twice. Good times, college. Well i strongly advise that there must be a sensor program over net that stops adult gallery
phpSub
Uhh...no duh.

Usually eMac's and old Dell CPU's.

If they had iMac G5's, that would be
*****ing SWEET.
Molle
In each classroom here at my school, we have three computers, pluss 64 laptops that the whole school share.... We are 28 students in each class, and we have 12 classes at our school. I dont really think we have enough computers, (We have also got 2 computer-rooms at school, with 15 in each room) and the computers are not really good either. They havent got sound, is often broken and is just basicly horrible computers.

There are always some mean students that decide that they want to break them. There has been many times my class haven't got any computers at all. Not fun, but hey... what can we do with it? Rolling Eyes
biljap
I don’t know what is the situation now (I hope it’s improved), but when I went to high school we had computers only in classroom for Computer Science but it’s sad that only few students used it for something useful. The most of them used it to play Solitaire when they didn’t want to listen the lecture.
Ghost Rider103
Well when I went to school my school had quite a few computers.

Just about every teacher had their own computer (I think all of them did). Plus all the computers in the main office and stuff.

Then we had I think it was 3 or 4 computer labs, and one MAC lab.
Mr_CEO
I'm thinking this was an American/USA based site, this forum/subject surely surprised me... Schools without computers for the country that is listed the first to walk on a distance land as space or moon?????

And forget this being the 21st century, wasn't you guys the one whom declare they're the world superpower and hardly anyone dare to compete or with them post the Cold World.

I thought their arrogant was beyond high that they always love to instult the mother land. Something as low as computers for school is really just too unbelievable.

Oh, by the way, I really wonder how the administration teams work without the computer to speed their pase, must be terribly hard with the amount of pupils in school and those level of paper works.

Shocked
Zug Zug
My old high school had computer courses you could take, computers in the chemistry/biology labs. A few computers in the library, and also a computer for the teacher in every classroom. Oh and the english classes had a few computers. I remember if we were really good we could play on the computer, surf the net play games, and stuff. Ah teachers were so trusting back then-about three years ago. If you go to the same school now the teachers hardly let you play on the computer, the library has a person who watches over the computers making sure that all you're doing is schoolwork. I think it's wonderful, because just letting us play on the computers really took away from our learning things. Sure it was fun, but in the end I wish the teacher would teach instead of reading their book or playing on the computer.
gerpg
My school is networked, almost every room has a computer for the teahcer to do the roll call, there are about 10 rooms in the school dedicated entirley to computing classrooms, only problem is you always end up on the wrong computer cause you want the software on the ones in the other room. The school only gets a limited amount of licenses...

Louis.
icantthink
My Uni doesn't have many computers (but enough at least), and they must have came from the 20th Century. Slow as HELL. Every time I use them I swear and/or headdesk.
carlospro7
In high school, we had computers, but the school had such a lame filter system that didn't really allow you to surf any interesting websites, so no one really used them. It's like we didn't have computers, I guess. In college we have tons of them, they are all over, and no filters!
jenice
The schools in my area, at least for colleges, will have big computer labs free for the students to use. For the other schools, some of the schools have them, but many don't. It just depends on what sort of neighborhoods are around in the area. All the school funding is passed based on bond elections. Some schools end up doing better than others. I think the high schools at least have computer labs to use. Some of the other schools might have individual classes to help students learn, but not formal lab for the students.
mrimp
All of the school computers at my school used to be ultra-slow. Finally they managed to spend some money instead of hiding it all away.
Boffel
LandShark wrote:

Im on the media school, so there it is one computer each person and some more...

Its just that the computers we have on our school is macs. So becouse of that I cant use anim8or or gamemaker, and that is almost the only thing I do on my computer home. Im not allowed to install windows either...

But if we how computers? yes, more then we need. Wink
WinGate
deeblue... you are right... we live in the 21'st cetury but there still are lots of schools without computers and internet connection.
For egsample i live in Romania... it's a beautifull country but it's not verry "advanced" in technology like America or other BIG countries.
I had luck to be in a city that all schools have computers and internet connection but if we think at all country , over 60%-70% of schools still doesn't have computers.
I haven't been in America so i can't comment about american schools but i sayed my oppinion about schools from my country.
soulery
my school computers block almost block every site. Also, I think I'm getting in trouble for listening to music and using bandwith..... Crying or Very sad
Blaster
This thread is over 10 years old. I remember when only certain rooms in schools had computers. As I went on from this throughout high school I noticed that a lot of rooms started getting more computers and we were using them more and more. I went off to college and nearly everyone had a computer in front of them while in class. So for those of you that are in school now how is it for you? Do you have a computer in every classroom?
loveandormoney
How about smartphones for the school?
Da Rossa
Well, since there's been 10 years since this topic was created, I have to say that a computer + a data show in a classroom is a very big help. I'm doing post-graduate in Company Law and this field is very dynamic and becomes obsolete fast. Having a computer at hands's range to Google whenever an issue or question arises is a huge help.

As for smartphones on school: no way. At least not provided by school. What would they serve, exactly?
Blaster
I have seen schools hand out iPads to their students, which I know arn't smart phones but are getting close. Its nice to have google, and at times I forget what I would have done without it. I remember looking at enclopidas at one point, but now everything is like you said at your hand.
jestoy0514
When I was in college we do have 486 computer which got mostly dos on it but some were running windows 95. We are using it but it was for a short period only and we rely on internet cafe to be able to practice and made our assignments. As compared today computers are very easy to purchase and we don't need to rely on the school for the laboratory. In addition to this with the rise of the mini pc with such a low cost but powerful enough to do the job.