FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

favourite poet?

masterevil
Who's your favourite poet?
Mine is nietzsche.
Tasukii
Nietzsche is NOT a poet, he's a philosophe. My favorite poets are french like Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Verlaine...
Jayfarer
I'm not into poetry much, but I think some Walt Whitman poems I've read are great.
sunrise
I love Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven'. But, of course, he wasn't the conventional poet. I like Robert Frost in general.
femlow
One of my favorite poets is Robin Morgan. She is a bit more of an extreme feminist than I consider myself to be, but her poetry is incredibly powerful to read. I picked up her anthology Monster in a used book store a couple years ago and its very moving, almost to a disturbing point, because many of her pieces are full of rage that comes through so clearly in her writing. She is a very talented poet.
novisdesign
Hey,
Emily Dickinson is my favorite poet. Her stuff on death and things like that are great. Even though she lived in her room durring her writing, her poems still resonate with current events. I love all of her poems. Chek her out
peace
kany
My favourite poet in
Allam Iqbal
I really love his poetry. He has written in URDU and FARSI the most of his poetry.
papamurphy
Oh jeez, where to start. There is Poe, Frost, Whitman, Shakespeare, Milton, Johnson. I am taking English Literature, and that is almost all we have read so far. Poetry is so diverse. For instance Milton's Paradise Lost is a huge poem about a fight between heaven and hell, while Shakespeare wrote love sonnets. Its just awesome.
Garnet
I loved Paradise Lost by Milton - it's neat to compare the qualities that are considered terrible back when it was written with today's. My favorite poet is either Chaucer (I love his sense of humor), or Samuel Taylor Coleridge (for the Rhime of the Ancient Mariner).
benwhite
Wallace Stevens & William Carlos Williams are two of my favorites. Good modern stuff.
nopaniers
Bruce Dawe. I don't like poetry, but his poems are about ordinary people.
dexterius
I don't read poetry. But once it read some work from William Butler ( Yeats ). It was after i saw the film Equlibrium Laughing . It's very interesting reading i think. Try some of his books if you dont know him.
jakegest
I don't pretend to read a lot of poetry, but so far out of what I've read rumi is by far my favorite (here's a few for those who are unfamiliar with him). I think what facinates me about him is the fact that he wrote this stuff around 1200 AD in farsee and it still makes some amount of sence and pertains to the lives of people today. Anyone who can create something that timeless is ok in my book.
nskaushik
lovely poet ...lovely meanings to his poems...his gloomy childhood made him write so...but all his poems are so soulful..Smile
evestor
Emily Dickenson.

Scholar's have said that you can actually hum "The Yellow Rose of Texas" to 90% of her poems. Of course now I am doomed whenever I read one.

"I heard a Fly Buzz when I died" is one of the most intense poems ever for me. She is one of those characters I wish I would have met.
ExaminedLife
I love Rumi probably more than anyone...and after Rumi, William Butler Yeats, John Ashbery, and Sara Teasdale.
The Philosopher Princess
My favorite poet is Ogden Nash because many of his were short and funny. I don't know about the correct punctuation, but here's one I remember:

Ogden Nash wrote:
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker
drkarthi
Robert frost and John Keats are my favourite. I also like Shakespheare's Sonnets and other poems in his Plays but i always find them difficult to understand.
Shewolf
I don't read much poetry, except lyrics, and my favourite lyric makers (in the language of english) are Tuomas Holopainen and Tony Kakko, I guess...
And Arnulf Oeverland is a great Norwegian poet.
ainieas
My favourite poet is William Blake. Something about the underlying theme of dark that is found in his poems that draws me to him. My favourite poem of his is Tyger, and the funny thing is I read the poem in a Wolverine comic and it was just so perfect, both the poem and the setting.
softnow
my favourite poet is Oscar Wilde and my favourite poem is "The ballad of Reading Goal"

Quote:
Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow grow cold
TurtleShell
By the way, I love blake too, although i think my favorite of his is the Garden of Love...this is just a section of it...

I went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut
And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tombstones where flowers should be;
And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys and desires.

He's so bleak:) Anyway, definitely my favorite poet is Stephen Dobyns. A lot of his poetry is almost like prose, and frequently it tells a story...
palavra
ExaminedLife wrote:
I love Rumi probably more than anyone...and after Rumi, William Butler Yeats, John Ashbery, and Sara Teasdale.

Rumi is my fovorite also.
and

some other turkish poets

necip fazil , mehmet akif ,yahya kemal , fuzuli ,

these are from fuzuli

Quote:
Hsılım yoh ser-i kyunda beldan gayrı

Garazım yoh reh-i aşkında fendan gayrı

Ney-i bezm-i gamem ey h ne bulsan yele
ver

Oda yanmış kuru cismimde hevdan gayrı

Yetti bkesliğim ol gaayete kim evremde

Kimse yoh evrile girdb-ı beldan gayrı

Ne yanar kimse bana teş-i dilden zge

Ne aar kimse kapım bd-i sebdan gayrı

Bezm-i aşk ire Fuzl nice h eylemeyen

Ne temettu bulunur bende saddan gayrı

Quote:
Beni candan usandırdı cefdan yr usanmaz mı
Felekler yandı hımdan murdım şem'i yanmaz mı

Kamu bmrına cnn deva-yı derd eder ihsan
Nin kılmaz bana derman beni bmar sanmaz mı

şeb-i hicran yanar cnım dker kan eşm-i girynım
Uyadır halkı efgnım gara bahtım uyanmaz mı

Gl-i ruhsrına karşu gzmden kanlu akar su
Habbim fasl-ı gldr bu akar sular bulanmaz mı

Gmım pinhan dutardım ben dedler yre kıl rşen
Desem ol b-vef bilmen inanır mı inanmaz mı

Değildim ben sana mil sen ettin aklımı zil
Bana ta'n eyleyen gfil seni grge utanmaz mı

Fuzl rind-i şeyddır hemşe halka rsvdır
Sorun kim bu ne sevddır bu sevddan usanmaz mı

ergoe
His book, Human Wishes, has inspired a lot of my favorite poets as well. Contemporary poets like Jorie Graham are also worth reading.

Among the oldies, I really like TS Eliot, Walt Whitman, and Gertrude Stein (even though I find Stein oh-so-hard to understand).
JessieF
My favorite poets are Edgar Allan Poe and Emily Dickinson. I enjoy dark melancholic poetry. Dickinson has a unique way of looking at things that really resonates for me. Honestly, I've heard of Emily Dickinson for years but never bothered to read any of her work. lol I had to read her poetry in my college American Lit class. I really enjoyed her poetry.
Radar
I'm thinking about trying out some Marvell, but that's as far as it goes at the moment.
deanhills
Goethe and DH Lawrence. Of the two DH Lawrence is probably my favourite.