FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet 2

silliman
I'm curious... Does anyone have first-hand experience with Internet2?

http://www.internet2.edu/info/

"Internet2 is a not-for-profit consortium, led by over 200 US universities, developing and deploying advanced network applications and technology, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet. With participation by over 60 leading companies..."

http://www.internet2.edu/pubs/200403-IS-IN.pdf
Vrythramax
I have never heard of till now, but you can bet I'll be reading about it tonight....thanks for the url Smile
ocalhoun
Will it use that newfangled tcp/ip 2? I hear that protocol gives enough IP addresses that every person in the world could have thousands.
SunburnedCactus
Is there an advantage to having multiple IP addresses? What could you use them for?
Steb2424
i thought the Internet 2 was just an eBaumsworld April Fools?!
lol, if this actually improves the original protocols then it'll be huge.
ocalhoun
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Is there an advantage to having multiple IP addresses? What could you use them for?

It keeps us from running out of adresses.
Every computer, many switches, all routers, besides myriad other network hardware all have IP addresses. Currently, the world is actually in danger of running out of them.
raver
ocalhoun wrote:
SunburnedCactus wrote:

It keeps us from running out of adresses.
Every computer, many switches, all routers, besides myriad other network hardware all have IP addresses. Currently, the world is actually in danger of running out of them.

Well that`s why there`s been an invention known as ipv6... right now we are using ipv4, which is formed oput of four blocks of numbers..
1.1.1.1 - 2555.255.255.255 ... anyway...you understand what i mean.. ipv6 is formed out of 6 blocks of numbers... increasing very much the total numbers of ip adresses available out there...
ihSturk
Thank you Smile
myrevolt
yeah well depending on who you ask you will get a different explanation of the internet 2. some say its the new set of protocols to help security, compatibility and add new functionality to websites. other weirdos claim it that sites like del.icio.us are internet 2 sites. and still others say other gibberish. take your pick on labeling these different things...i still say that its the protocol (and not just ipv6; but the whole revamp to start from the base rather than continue to add on to the existing infrastructure. that's my 2 cents.
silliman
Hi Ocalhoun, MyRevolt, et. al.,

I've heard the same kind of stuff; that is, the new Internet2 relates to a revamping of the IPs. How they putts with the protocols, is beyond me, but there are a number of universities that are tinkering.

Most assuredly the facelift will bolster security (for a short while), until the geeks find the holes.... And so it goes on.

I am apart of a university that's participating in the research of Internet2, but they haven't let it loose to me yet. Sad

Ah... the life of a peon.

Later!