FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Job that u wouldn't mind doing for the rest of your life

tkcy
Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of a job search right now. I am an IT graduate. However, the more i search, the more I realise that I dunno exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life. As in, yes, I have an IT degree and i am looking for an IT job. But I wouldn't want to do IT till I retire at 50. Sigh....I am really lost. What about you guys, have u guys reached or passed such a crossroad yet? Any views or opinion or advise? Cheers!
S3nd K3ys
I love my job. Been doing it for 20 years and I'll be doing it 20 years from now. I might never get rich from it, but it provides nicely for my family and I enjoy it. And I can get a job just about anywhere I go.
MalvagioAddict
I am supposed to start a job at the end of this month, and to be honest that wasn't what I studied for. It's so far my field that it's wacky. but its something that I really would want to do, so I'm doing it. It's not going to be long however I only would like to stay there at least a year. then go to what I'm more in line to do, which is in the nursing field.
nimbuscogitare
I would like to be a profecional renaissance man. I cant find anyone who is hireing. Perhaps a peronalitly test could help guide you in the right direction. never be afraid to change your life. you may find in 5 years what should have satisfied for 20 only satisfied for 2.
ainieas
I always wanted to be a game developer. But somehow or the other I never ended up having to do anything with computers. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm still kinda praying about being a game story board artist. I know if I do something like that I'll die happy!
syxxgage
Do what makes you happy. I have been working at the same desk job for 5 years, and I was going out of my mind. One day I decided this is not what I want for the rest of my life. I remembered that I enjoyed acting when I was in HS and as a former pro wrestler. I looked online for open casting calls and attended auditions for small indy films and such.

That was almost a year and a half ago. I still enjoy it, and I've even expanded my horizons into making my own film production company.

Just sit back, close you eyes, and picture what you most enjoy doing. Then figure out how to turn that into a profession. Do that, and you will most likely find your career.
42mart2
I would be a movie theatre guy...I can watch new movies at once they come out to sale and get payed for it!
That would be sooo cool! Cool

That is my dream job! Very Happy Razz

Or a game developer as one already has said...Creating cool games like Splinter Cell... And at home you can make many "small" games if you like. And do animation with "Maya" or is it "Maja" it is named....? Question
yokyok
i would not mind being a gigolo Smile
Jeslyn
I enjoy being a freeloader. The work is easy, the pay is nice, I get hoards of perks and free housing. It's great.
LeviticusMky
If you've got IT experience, does it allow you to work from home?

Personally, as one who hopes to make his living doing Web Graphics and multimedia, any job that I would get, if it allowed me to work from home, would be perfectly fine with me.

Work should be a part of one's daily life. Trying to separate work from play is what usually leads people to demonize work so much. It seems that being able to work from home would combine the two quite nicely, even if only for a few days a week.
Soulfire
Well, I plan to graduate from a good engineering school and somehow get a job within Intamin AG to design Roller Coasters.

That's my goal, and that's something that I would do forever. I love roller coasters, and have ever since I was really young.
srdjan
Just the same here, got a degree, kinda like database design..I mean that's pretty neat, design the whole business system for a company, make their lives a lot easier, and get paid really well...
But that's definitely not what I wanna do till my late 50's! So, I think you should look into yourself and find what you really love doing, and try to combine it with your knowledge (still it would b a shame to let an IT degree go to waste:) )

Personally I've always loved drawing and photography, so I try to improve my skills in those, and then combine it with my computer knowledge, and maybe...one day...I'll get rich and famous doing graphic design, animations etc... This too requires you to know some programming and multimedia (which hopefully you leaned at school, right..) especially if you wanna take advantage of the Internet, design your own kick-ass website, and make others want you to design their's too Smile

So, that's that, hope it helped! Basically, just cheer up, find the bright side and keep your head up...right?
boocherry
Currently working part time making promotion videos for the outdoor trips my college sponsors. Ya I could do this for a while.
acoassin
I'm still in school for computer science but I've already seen a lot of decent possibilities in IT fields. You'll probably get stuck doing help desk to begin with if you take the first thing that comes your way, but depending on where that is it might still make you a decent chunk.

I also had a small computer business up and running for a while. Not a bad idea for some spare change. Just do simple repairs, upgrades and whatnot and you'll find some connections after a while. Not a good primary job of course.
mathiaus
tkcy wrote:
I'm in the middle of a job search right now. I am an IT graduate. However, the more i search, the more I realise that I dunno exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life. As in, yes, I have an IT degree and i am looking for an IT job. But I wouldn't want to do IT till I retire at 50. Sigh....I am really lost. What about you guys, have u guys reached or passed such a crossroad yet? Any views or opinion or advise? Cheers!

Don't know how old you are now but by the time your 50 your IT qualification will likely stand for nothing. Unless you go into IT now and progress with your learning, by the time your 50 things will have advanced so much you wont understand (as well).
Also theres the part about experiance. Everybody wants it and if they cant find it they find someone young who can stay for a long time and is more likely to learn. Older people dont seem to pick things up as fast and might not be round for long so if dont choose IT now then when your older you may not be able to.

As I'm sure you can guess I'm going to suggest doing IT. Well yes I am but not nesascarily just IT. You could do anything buttake on extra responsabilty as an IT troublshooter wherever you work for example. My mum works in a school and is their IT troubleshooter.
Marston
I'd like to design websites for the rest of my life, but, I'd need like... Robotic wrist-implants to prevent carpol tunnel syndrome from setting in. Or, arthritis.
maclui
I studied a career in marketing which I found that was not for me until I finished it, Now I plan to be an engineer at a really good engineering school I like Biomedical engineering but before that I am using my skills acquired from the carer I just finished to run a business and pay my next career. As long as you learn you have lost nothing, that is what I think.
todabeat
something that has to do with producing music. that is all i know. i want to have a good profession that will provide the income necessary for my family and making music, even if it don't make that much money
Texas Al
Jobs I'd like to do for the rest of my life (if aging was suddenly cured and so I didn't have to be a biologist anymore)...

* Economist
* Statistician
* Software developer of games, social software, web applications, bioinformatics, pretty much anything non-boring.
* Hitman/spy/secret agent/smuggler
* Politician
* Biologist (?!)
* Physician
* Ballroom dance instructor
* Martial artist
* Science fiction writer
* Painter
* Welder
* Carpenter
* Professional survivalist!!!
* Gambler
* Priest in a church that's part of a very logical, non-superstitious offshoot of Christianity
* Space colonist
* Disembodied posthuman superintelligence
iridios
My professional goal is to be in network security. Particularly for a larger organization.
midimine
Wow a something different thread Laughing
Beeing life guard in the Bahamas Wink
Learning scripts for a website Evil or Very Mad
playing music and performing Rolling Eyes
coaching people to get a life Laughing
Buying houses and redecorate them Question
Spending money Confused
lockwolf
I have to do a project in school about my post high school life. I sat down and actually thought about that and came out with a plan.

I have been a gamer for 13 out of my 15 years on earth and have always wanted to develop my own video game not using a premade engine (such as Gamemaker or RPG Maker) because anyone can do that. So I looked around at colleges that offer computer programming mainly focusing on the field of game development. Then I though back to last year at school when I got a free informational DVD about Digipen Instutute of Technology in Redmond, WA next to Nintendo. So I looked at what they had to offer and I was suckered in right away! I looked at the price to get a Bachelors in Real Time Interactive Simulation which teaches programming through the way of game development and was amazed when I saw the price was just under $60,000 for all 4 years. Then I looked at the price to get a Masters in Computer Science and thats only an extra $15,000. I have friends that live really close to the college so I could probably get housing close to Digipen for Free or Really cheap.

So when your playing the hottest new video games in 2018, just look back to those Frihost forums where Lockwolf posted his carrer for the future.
Alein_Atryda_III
Jobs I would like to do rest of my life:
-writing books
-programing
-being a wizard in some other world

Lockwolf, in 2018 people might play games we will make together, LOL. But seriously, I don't mind programing other software:D
As for third thing, it's impossible for now, I still haven't found any gateway to other worlds:D
I am studying programing right now and I'm doing not too bad:D and all my stories are on my forum, but only in polish. Well, people have to do something so their plans could become truth in the future.
masterevil
if i could work with sid meier, that would be good.

I am learning c++ and then i'll learn DirectX. I am going to be a game coder that way. I could do that job in rest of my life. Im just 16 and i can do it for more than 100 years Laughing
nopaniers
Forget the money. It will not make you happy. Do what you enjoy most.

I was in exactly the same position as you. I'd worked for a few years as a computer programmer, doing some high profile jobs and was making good money (this was in the dot com boom). But I was completely bored. IT isn't exactly challenging. I decided to go back to university and do something useful with my life. I went back and did a physics PhD in quantum computing. It was the best decision of my life.

Now I'm a physicist. I work every day on challenging problems which I enjoy. I'm not the world's best (and believe me, the world's best in physics are very smart guys), but you know just getting up each day and doing something which you actually want to do... and be paid for it. I'm very lucky to be able to do it.

Think about what you want to do, what makes you excited and go for it! It may not work out, but at least you can be real and really live your life instead of just drifting through it pretending to be happy. By far the hardest part (it took me several years) is figuring out what you really want to do.
jawker
men i have the same problem as the one who started this thread. I graduated with a computer science degree and with honors but I just don't know what to do with my life right know. I feel what I've learned from college is totally useless right now. I'm a graduate for more than two years now and I can't really find myself a good job. I got offers for call centers/ help desk but I totally hate those jobs because of the shifting and night shift schedules. I'm already turning 25 and I'm totally lost right now I don't know what to really do and I don't want to become a bum. I hope something turns up right this year...
paskal
s**t Evil or Very Mad
paskal
oh... i love to spam... LOL just kidding~ Razz
zluis
I turned 40 today. And I'm still going to night school studying for a bachelor degree in electronics. I still haveto do 4 subjects to get my degree.
Now I'm working as a blacksmith. Sometimes it's nice sometimes it's...

Well What I would like to do is to write technical books about electronics. And also to write articles to magazines. I haven't given up yet.
I writing my first technical article for the University newspaper, I want to submit it this week.

I also love wild animals, I think I would love to work on an wild animal refuge or something like that.

The advise I give to all of you is to try to make what you like, but don't forget the money aspect. It's not everything but it's very very important.

But most of all don't give up on your dreams.
Ressurrector
Definately something to do with music. I once ran a studio biz and actually made a living by myself and it was a great feeling being independent of the system.
WebSiteGuru
Anything computer related of couse. Computer Technician, Network Administratror, Web Designer, Programmer, etc...
Sappho
Ok dont laugh at me but when i was younger i wanted to be a model, guess it didnt work out and now i am kind of too old for that. Smile Currently i am doing web&graphic design, i was always into art and liked computers so i put it together. I like my job so far but who knows. Wink
zjosie729
I would really like to be a work-at-home person, with graphic designing.
Insanity
I've always wanted to work in the IT field, but then all this news of outsourcing and whatnot gave me cold feet. Now I'm looking into alternatives before I'm stuck with a degree that won't land me a job anywhere.
s43ros
well i'm in college now and hopefully i can get a job at what i want to do, Aerospace Engineering, i.e., designing airplanes.

I've always liked airplanes and i love computers. Now that most designing is done using CAD software, hopefully the job I find will satisfy both worlds
hades9366
Yeah I do think you have to find something you love and then try and turn it into a career. It's not always easy though. My biggest love is literature. I love writing but it is really difficult to make a living out of fiction even most semi-proffesionals still need something on the side to pay the bills. I tried working in journalism and hated it so now I've settled for English teaching while still trying work on my writing on the side, the danger with this though is that you have less and less time for what you really want to be doing. It's difficult but worth the effort to look around, try everything that comes your way, your first job doesn't have to be your career.
evilryu530
i wouldn't mind working as a creative person for the rest of my life. directing, managing, consulting, designing big projects, like on the apprentice with donald trumph, or be in a position where i am helping people grow. Of course im starting out at the bottom and working my way up, but i wnat to at least know im on the right path of being in a position where i can help people discover new ideas and inventions. if that makes any sense, hahahah
atin
what I have found, and during many years of making mistakes,- one should do what one wants to do straightaway - there is no point in worrying about what one will do at retirement, or at age 50, and choosing a career path according to those worries.
Timoses
In Germany there is a great job!

Doing Nothing!

You get money from the state. You don't have to do anything.
... That is Germany. This country is going down omg. *g*

Anyways, something that I'd like to do is being an actor. I don't know why
but I think that it must be a lof of fun.
I'm now in 12th grade and have one more year of school and still don't have
any clue on what I'm going to do in future..
tkcy
wow.....u guys really put in great stuff into this thread. Its awesome. Well, I am 25 this yr....been bumming around finding my direction, but i've yet to find it. So how do u guys find your passion or the things u like to do best. Sigh...i've yet to discover this side of me. anyway, i went to this interview recently for the job of a software tester. I think it'll be a good start into IT. If i get it, i'll do it. Cheers!
crazedjill
I want to be an author, or an entreprenuer. The best business for me would be bookstore (duh). I love to read. I can't picture doing anything else.
bigtwballer
the best job in the world is being an nfl kicker
i mean u get paid millions a year to play for 30 seconds a week?
u cant go wrong there
alja
as many have said, do what makes you happy, if you don't know what makes you happy then stick to your initial choice but leave the window open for different options. try the most you can. Some day something will give you the nice taste of enjoyment and then you will know what it is.
I have been doing a lot: bachelor, certifications, courses etc bla bla. and more of jobs and have come to the conclusion that we have to follow the "omens" that life shows. for that look for enjoyment and happiness you won't regret.
freedomandjustjuice
I don't think i'd ever want to be stuck in a job for life, i want to be able to experience a variety of different things in my life, the last thing i want to do is be stuck in once place my whole life going the same way to and from the same place 5 days a week for the rest of what would feel like an eternity!!

I think the worst thing about 9-5 has got to be having someone tell you when you can go away and for how long, I'm studying for a degree in Environmental Conservation at the moment so i hope that will give me the opportunity to see some amazing places!!

SEB
bliushift
personal shopper for a celebrity.

- access to good clothes
- ridiculous pay
- bragging rights about knowing celebrities
- fun while getting paid for it
kjuvale
Laughing hi i am a pharmacy graduate and searching for job at pharma industries. i woud like to work in quality control or quality assurance field.
jgangl
I would love to have a job that has to do with anything with computers. I have always loved using computers. I have been building them since I was about 13. The only thing is, I live in a small town. There isn't much for jobs around here. It sucks.
KRONIC
well to tell the truth i really wouldnt mind being an electrical supervisor in an oil based company!! i had always loved electrical work and i am currently an electrical trainee in an oil based company called Imperial Snubbing Services in Trinidad!!

anyone else love electrical work?
DarthSilus
For me, I'd love being a Professor.

Lots of free time and free rescources. That means you can branch out and make more money, and also have time to do what you want that you may not otherwords have time for.

You have to love teaching though... and actually know crap, and have a degree. (That rule most people out Wink .)
Scott
I love computers and electronics, I will definitley go into something in that area. I used to REALLY want to do game development, but to be honest, the job seemed kind of dry to me, unless I were to work for a smaller company. I have heard a lot of bad things about places like EA Games.

So anyways, I love creating things and designing them, so I'm going into either electrical or computer engineering, and may also do a degree in music. My plan after that is to get into the designing of electronic instruments and other equipment such as keyboards synths, mixers, etc. I can't think of any better job.
kyberneees
well i want to be a designer, is interesting all that of the images, but is complicated for that is a lot things that i want, web master is one, other is animator of flash, other is painter.
uygur
I love my job. Been doing it for 20 years and I'll be doing it 20 years from now. I might never get rich from it, but it provides nicely for my family and I enjoy it. And I can get a job just about anywhere I go.
uygur
I love my job. Been doing it for 20 years and I'll be doing it 20 years from now. ý love you I might never get rich from it, but it provides nicely for my family and I enjoy it. And I can get a job just about anywhere I go.
uygur
enjaye
Hi, I'm also an IT professional. I've been with IT for 8yrs now and I can say that I'm enjoying my work. Though I must say that I don't want to be a programmer for all my life. I'm giving myself maybe 5-10yrs more for this field and after that I want to focus on business. Actually, currently, I'm doing party needs/supplies business here in the Philippines.

Laughing
zapdude
That would definately be a game reviewer, there's rubbish pay but the amount of fun you could have and as I have a passion for writing it would just make it the perfect job for me! Smile
naz
I see that most of the ppl are trying to get a Job that is like their hobbies. I disagree with that,beause I think you should do something which you ,of course like, but you should always keep in mind,that you will have to do in more than 8 hours a day lmost every day and for the rest of your life. At this point I doubt that you will have the same fun you had when you did it in your free time. i wnt to do something that i like to do ,but I try to keep in mind that than i'll never do it at home ,because it will be work at this point...
zapdude
Exactly! If you've done it for years what's the chances of not being interested in it for the next few years such as sport or something like gaming it's unlikely that you'll turn away from it.
I mean, it's not like it will fluctuate.
tolgaist
Hi there,

Most probably you are working in europe or america. Why don't you come to turkey. If your a*s is from outside of turkey, they pay you enormous wages that you can never finish spending it! I also worked as IT specialist in Istanbul but the wages were horrible and nor the other facilities. If I find a chance to go outside of this country, I definetely catch that. Not to live throughout my entire life in europe or somewhere else but to built experience and come back to turkey.

For example :

It graduate takes about 700 dollars and it is kind of mid wage.
It graduate ıf experienced in usa : 1500 dollars minimum great wage in turkey!

So how is it in your country . If same why dont you try to have a look the other countries and maybe life gives you new occations for a better career??

Tolga ÖZBEK
Scimus
If there is one thing i'd really LOVE to do- then i'd probably want to be, a game tester, designer, etc,. In other words, Pro - Gaming would be my field of work.

But I am now doing my B.Tech, to join the electronics or communication field of Engineering. Frankly i am going to do this, just in case my dream dosen't work out. I probably will join game designing or animation for a profession after the current one.

One should make up one's mind about what he wants to do. A rought idea if not exact. And most importantly - do whatever you do, to the fullest.
COTC
I love my job(s), but it's tough. My degrees are in theatre performance and theatre lighting design. The former is near impossible to get a job in, but they occasionally come through. The latter is a little bit easier, but since I only have my BFA equivalent education, I am competing with those with MFAs in theatre. That makes it a bit tougher. Plus, being that I live in Michigan, there aren't many places to get hired. I have sent my resume all over the world, but many places just want to hire local residents for a season run.

*sigh* Went to school to be a waiter. heh
Custom
A professional Billionare thats my dream job lol
MOBILEFRIEND
After been jobsearching for about two months, I've found a really nice job. Just like some other people that replied on this post, it's not what I've always wanted to be. But I'm enjoying it! I'ts a job with an outstanding future, so why would I keep looking for a job I can't get? This is a very good one, so I keep stuck to my boss till I retire ( if I don't die before).

Good luck with your jobsearch. And remember: Even if you don't have the right education, you can always try! I did and with succes. SELL YOURSELF, but not at any price!
Bookface
I graduated college a year ago with a degree in Philosophy and another in Computer Science. Since I was 12 or younger, I think I've always felt that computer science was the field for me, that computers made me all-powerful in that I could do anything I wanted to do with them (graphics, music, writing, reading, movies, creativity and education and entertainment of all kinds.)

Since graduating I've been working for a while for my parents to help them out with their business. I also wrote a small program for them. I would still like to be a serious programmer, I think.

Sometimes I feel lost in this sense, when I consider how much I don't know and how unexperienced I am. Other times I wonder if I really want to pursue programming with so many other interesting options out there.

But I am good at thinking in a programmatic way, and I'm good at solving problems by programming efficiently and creatively. And when I do program, which is not often enough at all, I get a lot of joy out of it... but it never ends up going anywhere. So I don't know if that's really where I want to go with things, either.

Anyway, to anyone in this thread, I would recommend the book What Should I Do With My Life, by Po Bronson. It covers a lot of ground that is gone over in this thread, as he interviews people who have either picked out a good life plan and stuck to it, or (much more frequently) have figured out something they wanted to pursue and went after it.
Stinger
I wouldnt mind beeing a ski instructer when im a little bit older. The idea of beeing minutes from the mountain and beeing able to enjoy your job. its amazing
wumingsden
I also at the crossroads in my career and I'm only 15! Well, nearly 16. I should be aplying for college around about now but have no idea what I would like to become. I want to get a professional job which for me certainly means going to Uni that means that I need to do A levels (or equivalent) at college first.
But then I have people saying that its going to be impossible for me. I have top grades in all of my subjects but i'm quite ill so people think that by the age of whatever that I'll have to work from home which seriously limits my options. The only jobs I know that work from home are a job in ICT or a house-husband! I kind of want to become a consultant specializing in lung problems in children but this is literally impossible for me. This is because of my illness and what they will do to other people. Also I am reliable but have huge chunks of time taken away because of my illnesses. I have (just) got my report back from school and my lowest attendance was 24%, which was in ICT. I also 1 (out of 2) ICT exams and completely missed one coursework deadline because i was in hospital. Its also hard because the school that I go to is useless. Not only have they been told hundreds of times about my illnesses but they can't seem to make my life a little easier when I'm there. The law in the UK holds me back too. A CF (cystic fibrosis) person is granted privilages, especially with education, but I reveive none of this as I have the Second Reinformaion of Cystic Fibrosis (as well as other disease). 2nd Rf. of CF is still a mystery. Basically I somehow deleoped Cystic Fibrosis rather than inherited it.
All-in-all my life is totally screwed up. I haven't been able to go school for ages but hopefully this will change soon. I'm supposed to have a Mentor meeting this Wednesday if I'm not going to be admission in on Monday (which is when I have an appointment at hospital). Sometimes I just feel as if there's no real meaning to life (especially as CF peope die young).

Anybody know any (good) jobs that I could do from home ?
Ressurrector
I wanna do something music related. Thats a job I can handle and luv to do. I dont care if its country or death metal I luv music. Laughing
Hana
Hi TKCY,

My opinion is that you can start with any IT job that comes on your path, but you must make sure that it is in an apropriate environment. I mean, it doesn't matter as much exactly what you do, but under which circumstances - is it a small firm where you get more different responsibilities or do you feel more at home in a big firm where you're one of many and you merge with masses. Do you like working alone and independently or do you like working in a team. If you don't know this about yourself, just try something and see how it goes. When you finish your education you just start really getting to know yourself - I've experienced this so I know.

Your environment makes a difference. When you have a place to start from than you will get more experience and find out more about yourself and about what you want to do next. To try and find a job to do for the rest of your life doesn't make sense because your own preferences could change in time. Just take the chances you are given at the time and there will be time to adjust or to change jobs. When hunting for what at first appears to be a perfect job, you can stumble upon great disappointments.

I hope you will find happiness!
Hana
Hi, wumingsden,

I guess it would be naive of me to think I could actually understand your situation, myself not having to cope with illness. I do feel the urge for somehow comforting you and to tell you that you will be fine and that there is a quality of life you can enjoy in spite of you disease. I truly believe that something will come your way that will open up your possibilities.
I think the worst thing you could ever do is give up and believe that your life is screwed up, because it is a fact that your life has just begun. You are sixteen and believe me (I originally came from war-situation and between my sixteenth and my 20th my life has changed completely) so much can happen from now on! The only thing you CAN do is seize the day and do your best in everything you do! And you will see that opportunities will come!
When you are still young, you have such little control of your life, but this control will increase as you get older.

As you said you would like a professional job, but you are not sure about how you would do in university and about the A-levels and stuff. But there is no point in worrying about what might happen in the future. I think you should just try it, do your best, and when you feel that you can not cope with it then there will always be time to take a step back! You can do more and more jobs from home nowadays - and i have a good example.

A friend of mine is paralized and the only thing he can move is his tong!!! He sits in a special wheelchair with a special tool in his mouth that he can use as a remote control for the mouse of his computer. He started a sort of a one-man-company and he makes nice video compilations of home video's for people who want to have their vacation video arranged in a nice movie with music and chapter menu's and everything. Before his handicap he was not familiar with the software, but he learned it himself with a tutorial. He never lost hope and he just tried the best he can.

My best wishes for you!
tengsoon
Marston wrote:
I'd like to design websites for the rest of my life, but, I'd need like... Robotic wrist-implants to prevent carpol tunnel syndrome from setting in. Or, arthritis.

Haha, I'll do it for you, I'm quite fortunate to be able to get into medical college. Maybe by then, I'll just implant the keyboard in your head, then you can do all the webs you want!

To wumingsden: really Thanks for sharing your story, don't give up ok, maybe you can be a lecturer or a really inspired speaker. That kind who goes around giving public lectures.
alkady
CEO, Thats a job I wouldnt mind doing until my last breath. I've always wanted that job since I was a todd, Its risky, Its hard and demanding but its been my passion and worth it even if I dont gain anything.
wumingsden
Hana wrote:
Hi, wumingsden,

I guess it would be naive of me to think I could actually understand your situation, myself not having to cope with illness. I do feel the urge for somehow comforting you and to tell you that you will be fine and that there is a quality of life you can enjoy in spite of you disease. I truly believe that something will come your way that will open up your possibilities.
I think the worst thing you could ever do is give up and believe that your life is screwed up, because it is a fact that your life has just begun. You are sixteen and believe me (I originally came from war-situation and between my sixteenth and my 20th my life has changed completely) so much can happen from now on! The only thing you CAN do is seize the day and do your best in everything you do! And you will see that opportunities will come!
When you are still young, you have such little control of your life, but this control will increase as you get older.

As you said you would like a professional job, but you are not sure about how you would do in university and about the A-levels and stuff. But there is no point in worrying about what might happen in the future. I think you should just try it, do your best, and when you feel that you can not cope with it then there will always be time to take a step back! You can do more and more jobs from home nowadays - and i have a good example.

A friend of mine is paralized and the only thing he can move is his tong!!! He sits in a special wheelchair with a special tool in his mouth that he can use as a remote control for the mouse of his computer. He started a sort of a one-man-company and he makes nice video compilations of home video's for people who want to have their vacation video arranged in a nice movie with music and chapter menu's and everything. Before his handicap he was not familiar with the software, but he learned it himself with a tutorial. He never lost hope and he just tried the best he can.

My best wishes for you!

Thats a really good example and I'm actually surprised that this is even possible. I want to have a professional job so I don't end up in a dead-end situation, (by professional job I mean going to Uni or something like Bondings job ~ providing a service that everybody wants therefore never being in a situation that I don't want to be in) And I don't always tell myself that I'm going to die young even though I more than probably will. I just want to look forward to something major in my life rather than looking at the negatives all the time, just something to really look forward to. I have positive things in my life, don't get me wrong, but it also seems like the negetive aspects are so much heavier on my shoulders that I just want to fall and its quite hard getting back up again (although I have to admit that I'm finally getting used to it after nearly 16 years). I did like to do a lot of things a year or two ago but now are impossible. I am not mentally disabled (as this post shows) and I don't look disabled which in a way is much hardier to live with. I can do most things a person can although I have to stay indoors most of the time which is also hard ~ and this means that I'm mainly on the Net or reading books which can sometimes be a little boring.

Quote:

tengsoon wrote:
To wumingsden: really Thanks for sharing your story, don't give up ok, maybe you can be a lecturer or a really inspired speaker. That kind who goes around giving public lectures.

A like the idea of being a lecturer (or lawyer or doctor - working with D.W.B - Doctors Without Borders) but I'm not supposed to go out all the time (which includes being around a lot of people). This is mainly to protect me. My diseases cannot be passed on to anybody else but the infections that I carry inside my lungs can be damageing to Cystic Fibrosis people. All bugs are damageing to me, wether its somebody next to me smoking (yuk), breathing, coughing, sneezing, etc, to Cystic Fibrosis bugs.
Am I that good a speaker (keeping in mind that I'm quite young)?
stiffler
My job is fantastic(electrician), and I love it. I have actually been moving up really quickly too, getting various different Certifications and such, and I am guessing before long I'll be working in the office. My boss always says "It wont be long before we are all working for you" Laughing
fuzzie
Man, my job is not too bad but it could get so much better. I work as a reservoir engineer in a small company, best not to mention names, though. I tell you, ma boss is sweet but pays us too low, definitely underpaid the lot of us. Im been doing extra works on the outside for some while to stay healthy.
aerialdreams
It's too bad that I'm too young to get a real job. But if i had a choice, I would definitely get a job that involves music. I just love it so much, and the music industry is ever changing, so I'll never be bored!! It's either that, or a job that deals with little kids. People consider them annoying, but I just love them to death, even when they won't listen to you and cry all the time!! I know... I'm weird like that! XP
tkcy
Hana wrote:
Hi TKCY,

My opinion is that you can start with any IT job that comes on your path, but you must make sure that it is in an apropriate environment. I mean, it doesn't matter as much exactly what you do, but under which circumstances - is it a small firm where you get more different responsibilities or do you feel more at home in a big firm where you're one of many and you merge with masses. Do you like working alone and independently or do you like working in a team. If you don't know this about yourself, just try something and see how it goes. When you finish your education you just start really getting to know yourself - I've experienced this so I know.

Your environment makes a difference. When you have a place to start from than you will get more experience and find out more about yourself and about what you want to do next. To try and find a job to do for the rest of your life doesn't make sense because your own preferences could change in time. Just take the chances you are given at the time and there will be time to adjust or to change jobs. When hunting for what at first appears to be a perfect job, you can stumble upon great disappointments.

I hope you will find happiness!

Thanks for the advise Hana. I'm working hard on that. U too.....happy frihosting. Cheers!
Dustin
There is lots of money in networking, cant go wrong doing that
nOScott
cop / firefighter / coast guard
Vrythramax
Just about anything in the IT field. It's what I went to school (and are still attending) so long for, and what I am currently employed doing. The job does have a tendency to get a bit stale, then something will happen or someone higher on the food chain will come along and shake things up and the whole job is new again. I can't picture myself getting bored with it....but that's just me.
rwtthai
Well the first post said until you retire at 50. Well good luck. To do that you are going to have to make major money and save a lot of it. Reality is that is you are just starting work now (from the sounds of your post) you will probalby retire close to 70 (if you use the government retirement system and don't get lucky).

Honestly from a perspective of 50+ years I can say this:

1.What you study to do and what you do don't always have a direct linkage. College teaches you how to study but not how to work.

2. Jobs are evolving constantly. So the future has jobs due to changes in technology and workspace yet unthought of at this time. 20-30 years from now you could be doing something that you never would have dreamed of now.

3. Keep learning! or you will find yourself doing something that has no future 20 years from now.

4. Remember that the end of the road never looks like the beginning. Along the way there will be plenty of curves and bumps. So don't try to get the ideal job from day one. Get the experience first then you know what is ideal for you.

Yeah well I would like to be lying on the beach with my proceeds in a Swiss bank and thinking how I could save mankind (at no cost to me) but in the meantime I will just keep doing the above.
failed14
i cant complain one bit about the job ive got. ive been a custodian for the past 3 years and its been nothing but awesome to me. i wouldnt mind doing that for the rest of my life, however that is def. not what i would like to do for the rest of forever. id def. have to do something with computers. im more than positive about that one. anything with computer networking to web design would be good enough for me. that is probably what i will do, what i would dream to do though, would be either working in or with music, or being an astronaut?! haha silly dreams but hey, it doesnt hurt to wish now does it??
savabg
Hmm what would I want to do with the rest of my life, honestly I would love to become a photographer for Playboy or something like that... But i would also want to work with computer or something like that. I have tried a lot of things ... bartending ... web design .. network management/support .... oh yeah i have been a gigolo(jk) .... but whatever we shall see where the drift takes me .... up until then i hope it actually PAYS TO DISCOVER : )
kazoe
right now, im in the line of arts, yeah, i admit it i experience being bored with my choice when i reached my graduating years. added to that, i have a short attention span, the reason why i cant stay too long with something. right now, my career is currently well, unsure, im still groping and crawling around. im not that sure if i can do drawing forever but it keeps finding me wherever i go. maybe im destined to be an artist after all *scratches head
shwetanshu
i wud like to be a web developer and have my own hosting company after i finish my education
MWANGI
tkcy wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a great idea,

How about doing another graduate degree just for fun as you decide what you want to be. It may open your eyes a little wider. Have you ever thought of doing Theology, or Batchelor in Education.
Deesse
when I was little I wanted to be an architect, because I love to imagine what a house could look like. But I hate Geometry so I was told that was it for that dream. Since I've wanted to become an astronaut, work in a space program. I actually got the opportunity to follow that dream when I moved to the USA 6 years ago: My highschool teachers voted me in the recruitment for a space thing for my high school to go to NASA and stuff but because I'm not American I was rejected in the end that was it. So I figured, if I can't be a NASA worker, I can still be a pilot, right? Made plans and again life wanted something else for me! So since I started College, I love anything computer related. my friends say with my imagination and my skills, they see me working in computer animation. Now I've come to believe that. I think it would be a whole lot fun. I love being a web and graphics designer but I don't want to do it for money or I'm worried it might ruin my passion. So I'm really looking into the computer animation field. Creating cartoons, anime would be awsome since I love to draw anime characters and I'm a huge anime/cartoons fan. So I guess I'd love to do that for the rest of my life. It's a nice way to stay a kid at heart which is something I never wanna lose Smile
SNES350
LeviticusMky wrote:
If you've got IT experience, does it allow you to work from home?

Personally, as one who hopes to make his living doing Web Graphics and multimedia, any job that I would get, if it allowed me to work from home, would be perfectly fine with me.

Work should be a part of one's daily life. Trying to separate work from play is what usually leads people to demonize work so much. It seems that being able to work from home would combine the two quite nicely, even if only for a few days a week.

If you work at home it must be something that can keep your attention well (or you must be able to focus on one thing well, which I can't do), or you will not get a satisfying amount of work done in the time you intend.
j0zman
I tend to work in the gaming industry. That market is growing rapidly. You got to have exceptional skills to handle the task, and have to be able to resist a huge amount of stress. But it seems awesome to me in any way.
COTC
Ressurrector wrote:
I wanna do something music related. Thats a job I can handle and luv to do. I dont care if its country or death metal I luv music. Laughing

I wouldn't mind something music related. I am currently composing a CD that has the feel of a cross between baroque and romantic periods. I have had a producer hear a couple songs and tell me that it was marketable, so I may look into that. I don't think I would want to do that as a living. I would mind playing as a living, but composing nonstop is way too much. When you have to turn out song after song, it gets to be a bit hectic.
COTC
j0zman wrote:
I tend to work in the gaming industry. That market is growing rapidly. You got to have exceptional skills to handle the task, and have to be able to resist a huge amount of stress. But it seems awesome to me in any way.

Very cool. what do you do? Whatever it is, you keep doing what you do, and I will keep doing what I do... which is play them. Very Happy
acamas
A lolly tester. Or a corrupt bank manager! Wink
sonam
I want to be retired just NOW! Then I can create free scripts, post in forum, walk on the riverside, ride the bike... Very Happy

But not chance today. Sad Maybe tomorrow. Wink

Sonam
j0zman
COTC wrote:
j0zman wrote:

Very cool. what do you do? Whatever it is, you keep doing what you do, and I will keep doing what I do... which is play them. Very Happy

LevelDesigner. So designing the environments. My interest goes to WWII games.
windrei
tkcy wrote:
Hi guys,

halo tkcy,

i am in the crossroad too. Frankly speaking, i had been unemployed for more than half year last year. i only had a short-term job at december. But it's not what i wanna do. It's project assistant in government department. i studied cinema and tv in university.... i wanted to refuse the job at the beginning, i accpeted it finally however... as without jobs, without life.... but i will become jobless again at the end of february... my co-worker now has introduced me to a new job. The position is the same. i don't wanna be. Can i have any choices ? of course not, as i have not succeeded to find a new job yet. Actually i wanna be a dance performer on stage. However, i do not know the way to join..
rwojick
I think the idea of jobs has not caught up with the potential of the internet. The internet is more about timing than that old 8 hours stuff. Production is a function of getting the "right" information at the right place at the right time and it is not "how much" information we can put out, because, as you can see, we get too much, too fast, and often not accurate.

Have they settled on whether those miners in West Va are dead or alive yet and have they found those WMD's yet? So much labor is just spent doing the wrong things...

Anyways, hope I have not depressed you about your new job...I bet it will be perfect for you...
rwojick
...you have to ride that bike when you can...maybe later today...
lockwolf
My future involves going to Digipen Instutute of Technology in Redmond, WA and getting a Masters of Science in Computer Science with a minor in Math and Physics. Then, I'll create the most kick ass video game ever and make loads of money. After I make loads of money, I will move to the Medina area of Washington and run into Bill Gates while walking my dog up and down the street.
indeedwrestling
I would definately enjoy working in the world of professional wrestling. Right now, I host a wrestling podcast (highly rated!) and it's just been nothing but fun reading, writing and reviewing notes for the show. I think it would be incredibly stressful to be a writer (or the like) but I know that when you're doing something that you love, it's all just part of the experience.
PopCultureLSU
Yeah well I'm in college right now and I am planning to go the pre-law track. I am double majoring in Political Science and Sociology right now. I haven't changed it so much as I heard many college students do. Even though I've only been in college for a year now, I think I know what i want to do what my cereer. I think later on in college, depending on how many classes i need to complete to double major, I might just drop my political scinece major into a minor so that it'll take soem stress off. The upper level classes are sooooo hard, or so i hear. So then my main objective would be getting a sociology major with my concentration in applied sociology. I think that way I can start out in the field helping people. Criminology and Law with applicaitons to sociology has interested me since i've been watching all of those law and order, special victims units and criminal intent shows, but I think i'd rather be in a position where i can help not only people but the community I live in.
Every now and then I get worried about what I am going to do with my life and if i would actually be happy wiht only doign one job. But the more I think about it the more I've come to the realization that I can't be selfish and only think about a job that's going to make me forever happy. I have to put things in perspective. I know i want a family and my family is probably goign to depend on me to bring home the money and support them. So I cant just keep on changing my job and never being able to go up the ranks at a certain occupation and thus earning a better pay salary.
So yeah, I think everyone is goign to have problems after they get their degree in whatever and actually start working. No one is going to be forever one hundred percent sastified with their jobs. It's only you sometimes have to put your foot down and force yourself to make a decision on what is best for you and the effects it would have of you staying at one job or continually changing.
tkcy
windrei wrote:

halo tkcy,

i am in the crossroad too. Frankly speaking, i had been unemployed for more than half year last year. i only had a short-term job at december. But it's not what i wanna do. It's project assistant in government department. i studied cinema and tv in university.... i wanted to refuse the job at the beginning, i accpeted it finally however... as without jobs, without life.... but i will become jobless again at the end of february... my co-worker now has introduced me to a new job. The position is the same. i don't wanna be. Can i have any choices ? of course not, as i have not succeeded to find a new job yet. Actually i wanna be a dance performer on stage. However, i do not know the way to join..

Well windrei,

why don't u try taking up some dance courses. firstly, it can help u improve your dancing (if u are alresdy very good, i believe there is always room for improvement Razz ). secondly, u can make friends with the dance instructors in the dance school. well, i believe these people will help friends or contacts who are professional dancers. Good luck on your dream and cheers.

Anyway, after taking my time going for interviews (more n more interviews), talking to friends (many frens, including many in IT, and lately in sales), and spending some time thinking on my own, I've kind of decided on a path or rather a goal to move towards. Rather then hanging to a belief that as an IT graduate, I should pursue something in IT and apply what i have learnt in school, i've decided to go for something that I have always been good in, sales.

why sales? well, i have always been a smooth talker, a persuasive talker and "uncle agony" to some of my friends. All these comes to me naturally and i really enjoy talking to people, be it friends or strangers. During my school years, i have taken up a couple of sales job, and i did pretty well in all of them. I can actually wake up everymorning and look forward to going to work. that's crazy isn't it. As compared to my previous programmer analyst job, where i had to virtually drag myself to work everyday, its really a big contrast.

I have always rejected the idea of doing sales after i graduated as i thought that doing sales doesn't need a degree, u basically don't need much education to do sales. Every Tom, Dick , Harry can do it, as long as u have a mouth that talks.

Anyway, what the hell, i'm going to give it a shot. Hopefully it'll bring me plenty of satisfaction and loads of cash. As for what kinda sales, i'm still looking. Thanks for the tips guys. Frihost is really an awesome community. Cheers!
mikeymowse
I'm new to the forum as of today, but I plan to participate as much as possible. I just finished reading a case study for my Supply Chain Manangement class and now I am waiting for the woot.com to change at midnight. Currently I work as a Student Computer Technician. I respond to emails and phone calls about computer related issues, and I respond face to face with clients. I am not salaried, I am part time, and I am under paid. However, I do enjoy my job a lot. The people I work with are great and everyday we have a good time. I enjoy fixing computers, troubleshooting, building computers, and destroying computers. I plan on staying in this field for the rest of my life, just to work up the chain and be the boss of all the people that do my job now. I would like to be a CTO (Chief Technology Officer) in a corporation, but that is far from now....
mikeymowse
My first job I ever wanted to have was a Garbage Man, and I still would not mind being one. I would not mind the smell or the dirty aspect of it, plus you get to exercise all day, get paid well, and see some weird things that people throw away. I would have to do it someplace where it is a reasonable temperature all year round, because I couldn't do it during a winter, I do not agree with working in the cold. So either a CTO or a Garbage man. Pretty much covers the spectrum.
tatuest
job...im working right now as dj and its cool but i dont want to do that all my life.
sniffass
I have exactly this problem I have no idea about what to do with my life. I'm 22 and I just finished studying in university, I got two degrees in business which means I can adapt to a lot of things. Trouble is I don't exactly know what I can adapt to. So I left England and came to China, where I'm now working as an English teacher, but I ain't gonna do that for long. So at the end of this year I'm back to square one.

My brother has never know what he wanted to do as a job, he's 33 now and he still doesn't know. He went to uni and got a law masters then an llb and lpc but he don't wanna use it. Best thing I can think of at the moment is that the most important thing is to be happy. If that means that you change jobs every two years then so be it.

Gabe
galbotrix
...being something different

Currently I am about to graduate (computer Science) and enter in the world of different jobs but here are some things which I'd love to do as well.

1) Investment Consultancy
2) Adventure Travelling
3) Radio Jockey
4) Code for Open Source
5) Be a trekking instuctor
6) Innovative Idea management

....What do you think ?
allforxp
I suggest to learn computer languages like HTML, PHP and ActionScript and then develop a website that offers much to the visiters and is appealing. Then put google Adsense ads on it and with some optimations you will be able to earn $$$. Then invest in advertising and you will make up your life.

Trust me people are earning $15, 000 a month with adsense.

---
bigdan
There are a few jobs I wouldn't mind having...

1) Writing for a tech magazine. Getting to test all that new software, hardware and full systems...oh geez, I'm drooling at the thought...Very Happy

2) A newsreader....preferably for my local station NBN TV Newcastle. That would be sweet...Very Happy

3) A comedian...well...I think I'm funny Razz
42mart2
I would be a elite S.W.A.T. cop, but the Norwegian type, or a game programer.... Wink
criticaldensity
People who are the happiest with their jobs, will keep them for most their life. What jobs make us happy is different from person to person, but I like to think that if your job makes you think creatively or solve problems, then you will feel satisfied. As opposed to a job where you just take orders all day. A trash man may be easy and brainless, but that may get old from day to day because nothing is changing. My dream job would be to work with an outdoorsy magazine. I would be able to be outside and write about it.
secretagenttomtom1388
One job that I could see myself in for the rest of my life, i would definetly be a youth minister. I love to be around kids, and kids love being around me. Here is a really short profile for a youth minister:

Working conditions: depends on types of duties
workplae: a church, synagouge, or other place of worship. most of them are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Average Salary: $16,293

let me know what you think about this job!
Stinger
I dont think anyone can relate to my job - Ski intsructer, i just love skiing. You should all try it sometime
essentialmedia
The job I do everyday is pretty much the best job I could personally hope for. I love my work, I love entertainment, I love travel, I am my own boss, I get to meet a lot of people. It pretty much is the best job in the world. Oh and I am hiring IT people for a new startup if anyone is interested.

Shane
sammistrychnine
I work in a computer consulting company right now, have my Bachelors in Computer Engineering, but I definately don't want to be doing this sort of thing my whole life. I'd much rather be a freelance writer, work when I want to, publish books, etc.

It's still possible.
Mike Schaefer
The number two job in the country (so they say) is being an actuary. They look for computer science folks. Entry level is around 47k. I work on the business side of the insurance industry and am currently looking at this as a career change. Obviously, experience would get you more than the $47k.
nmpetch
If you don't want to always work in IT, consider working for a smaller company. I've worked at both and would not likely go back to a big company. At a smaller company, you might not get paid as much, but you have a lot more say about the business. It's like an extended family. It also provides more opportunity to try your hand at different things because you usually have to wear more than one hat. Sure, it can be hectic but it's worth it!
mtoni
you know, this is a question what is also bothering me...
I'm in high school now, and in 2 years I will have to decide what kind of study I want to do. And I have no freakin idea :s
It'll probably be in the technical direction (don't like languages)
but still....

The thing that lots of things are boring when you repeat them all over and over again just can't get out of my head.
cwatts
Man after reading this post I realized how many people really dont end up in there field of choice. Thats really sad my new friends. I think that if you have a passion for somthing you should never give up on your dream unless you really have no talent. Any way the only way you wont make it is if you give up. "Usually". I would like to continue to grow my film business and gain some networking friends. Anyone want to be in a movie from TX?
sanjito
I would love to work in a vide store or a record store. Even an arcade would be cool, as long as it was not in a mall, ugh.
beatmasta601
i Don't what job i am gonna do Shocked Laughing Razz
metalwitch
Yeah I am a musician with a band that is working together under different type of circustances. My singer and friend moved to Germany, and I live in Michigan and another member is on Germany, and another in Delaware. but through the internet we are working on an album, and that is what I would love to do for the rest of my life, assuming we can get signed that is.
rteer88
Hey guys,
New to the post. Well, I've been in the military for quite a while and now I'm deciding to get out. So, now I'm stuck in the dreading job of looking for a job. I love movies and music. I would love to do something in either, produce some music or review movies. Those would be great jobs!!!
blackbart
God! I realy couldn't imagine one job for life. I am in my fifties now. i've spent about 12 years in computer related fields before that I spent a good part of my life in mechanically related jobs.
I've built hot-rod motorcycles and race cars, I've worked as mster mechanic in the heavy equipment field. I've been a weldor a firefighter, I've also dealt in some international business.
After about 3 - 10 years in one arena. I get bored, I want to not just change jobs, but change completely the discipline in which I work. I still tinker with engines and I may get back into that on a part-time basis. I still work in computer related fields but on my own time, in my own way. I could never go back to the coporate world.
In todays job market I think that moving around and experiencing different uses for an education is wonderful opportunity. With coporate downsizing and lay-offs common in almost all fields being mobile and actively seeking and changing jobs from time-to-time is acceptable and good for your soul.
PureSimpleNatural
I couldn't do what I've really wanted to do, which would be a horseback riding instructor. There's a long list of childhood dreams that won't ever be realized due to various restrictions:

1. Riding Instructor
2. Veterinarian
3. Opera Singer
4. Tack Shop Owner
5. Horse Breeder
6. Fighter Pilot
7. Residential Complex Owner for limited income

What I HAVE done centers primarily on Customer Service in various settings. My last 'Career' was a Residential Building Manager. Currently, I design jewelry and am a diamond trader.

Overall, the dream job would include horses somehow.
Wayne1986
i want to be in the police force. Might join in the next few years.
sangharsha
Its better to follow your heart and mind.

heart gives the liking and enjoy factor...

In the meantime the mind gives the justification.

Its better to balance these two...
axlekitty
haha, I'd definately love to do web/graphic design for the rest of my life. Sad to say another user got it right with the robotic implants. Smile I am 20 and I already have arthritis in my wrists and hands and am already leaning toworsa the carpal tunnel keyboard syndrome. I will keep doing this forever though, it definatley is worth it for me!
Jamatu
The job I wouldn't mind doing for the rest of my life would be someting in general to do with computers, i'm not sure which path to take yet whether it be hardware (Tech support etc) or Software (Programming, Support etc) both are just as appealing to me.

I have been interested and using computers for many years and also have a Vocational A-Level in ICT which should help me get the type of job I want. I just need to get myself on that first step!
magnaniteck
how do you upload an avatar I have one
magnaniteck
and what is the thing that says do with any thig
COTC
What you all NEED to do is become theatre directors, open your own theatres in Michigan, and hire me. Smile I think that would benefit all of us.
adiutrix
Designing planes for Sukhoi aircraft Smile

Otherwise get a sponsor and mountain bike or ski for the rest of my life.
mj_loc_nl
If you do not want to get into a position where you will be stuck for the next 50 years I would suggest the following things to do.

(1) specials on 1 or 2 systems used by large companies on the ERP side. (Oracle, SAP etc etc)
(2) Take an extra study (maybe in the evening) what is not directly related to IT but is related to business. Some business school classes/economy classes.
(3) Try to get a lot of small projects and become a project member in several implementations of ERP systems. This is how you get familiar with these kind of projects.
(4) Use your extra study and your experience from the projects you have done to become a project manager in a couple of projects. You do not have to become the head project manager but a manager of a small development team and/or release team.
(5) With all this knowledge and experience you will be able to get more and more interesting projects and somewhere down the line companies will start to ask you to stay after a project and become a IT manager.

That is if your ambitions are to become a IT manager who is still able to do all kinds of fun things with computers like programming. I write this out of my position that I have the luxury to get hired in several companies for projects but you will have times, in the beginning, where it will be difficult to get projects but do not give up! Smile
MalvagioAddict
well, i just want to say that i started my first job this week, well it's not my first job per se, but it is the first job wherein there wasn't any form of nepotism involved. I don't know if I'd want to do this for the rest of my life, but i would love to have this job for as long as I can. I only gave myself a timeframe to stay at this line of work. but incredibly enough i find myself enjoying it. sure i have to wake up at an ungodly hour of the morning just so I wouldn't be late and get reprimanded but I'm looking forward each day.

maybe at the moment it's a novelty, but i'm loving it.
tefa_taftaf2010
i dont mind to spend my rest life in working in ther computer field
i like it so much
but i study civil engineering
thanks
sk8er_gurl_31
I guess I wouldn't mind being a musician. I play the piano and the flute. I'm in grade 8 right now, and I'm applying for senior jazz at the highschool! I've been playing the flute for like 1 and a 1/2 years now, but my sis says I'm almost better than her friend in grade 11! Anyways, I would be happy and content being a musician. Very Happy
wilma
I am currently studying for an IT degree and yup i really do see myself working in the IT industry till I turn 60.

But the difference is that every 5 years or so I will take a break and spend 2 to 3 months exploring another country.

I also see myself climbing up that corporate ladder.

And maybe.... just maybe.... getting married and starting a family.

A desk job leaves you with ample time to pursue other hobbies and interests. I hope to go bungee jumping and go karting once in a while

Hey! it is up to you to spice your life up.
kutegoddezz
one job that i would not mind having for the rest of my life would definitely have to be wedding planning. i would love to make people's dream weddings really come into reality. i have worked for a wedding planner in the past and learned about all aspects of a wedding from the florals to the dress cake and invitations and i think it's a fascinating process. i would also one day like to plan a dream wedding for myself so planning other people's would really give me the experience i would need to do this. it's wonderful to be able to be a part of someone's special day so that would be my dream job. also being a mom is a part of my dream job because i will luv to hug kiss and play with my kids all day long and watch them grow.
windval
tkcy wrote:
Hi guys,

oh you are the IT graduate!!!

oh my god~~~

you are so smart!!!
Lied
My dream is to become a game developer/programmer.Or at least something that has to do with computers.Making your hobby work and vice versa i think that will make you a happy man and make the worktime pass fast.Though not many ppl can accomplish that, everyone have the chances to.
Magicoman
Gotta do what you love... i love my job and will do it till the day i die, or make enuf to reitre... ha ha ha i'll never make enuf!!!!!!!!!
fckarlsberg
can that be referred to as a job? otherwise i would have to go with pimping or maybe adult films. Oh a priest maybe.
Savast
I'm 25. I've been using computers since i was 3 years old.. I remember how amazing it was with the advent of floppy disks and then, a few years later, the 40Meg hard drive..... then windows, etc....

I've been building and revampi9ng computers and their programming for as long as i can remember, before i was even out of training pants, i was reading "computing" magazine! I think my first computer that i called "my very own" had an AMD CORE processor in it, it was amazingly fast at a whopping 75Mhz! i can still remember how excited me and my dad got when we slapped our forst HUGE 16 meg ram chip in another one of our pc's....

With the advent of them getting faster and better and cooler... i wanna be right in the middle of it all when the advent of the THZ chipz come out!!!!!!!

yes.. this is what i'd be doin
waiteck
The job that i wouldn't mind is helping Bill Gates cleaning his spectacles or cleaning Tiger Wood's golf clubs
SkullPizza
Teacher
jaycoo
Id be a critic of some sort, putting people,places, food or whatever down. Id whine about insignificant stuff and generally hate everything... the great thing is that even though I would bag people I have never met I would still get invited everywhere... its the duality of the role that is so appealing..
hp-compendium
Well, I would love to have a job that lets me stay at home most of the time but pays enought to support my family. Like, being a writer has been my dream. Or couse, I would also take a job that I have to leave to work. It gives a more hands-on experience to myself and I get to learn new things in the world that I wouldn't if I sat around writing all day.
heady233
I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff for about 10 more years, I'm 10. Sorry if this is considered spaming.[/code]
please.be.quiet
an artist..photographer, graphic designer, painter...any of those, you'd never become bored because everyday, you'd be doing something new...either that or a travel guide
fading-reality
I would love to do something with computers. I am the best in my computer class and the teacher constantly brags on me. Keep in mind that I am 14. I am very good with Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop..I can make blends and glitters. I hope to get a great job. If something with computers doesnt work, I'd like to be an orthopedic surgeon. I'm really good in math and science. I don't know if I would enjoy going to med-school though.
deathstilllies
i would be in a band for sure, touring all over the world and just being around people who have the same tastes in music, HARDCORE all the way! i also wouldnt mind doing a music technology course next year coz i really think that that would be an awsome job where i cou;ld meet heaps of new people in the music industry.
tdb18
I wouldn't mind to be a Princess or a Queen, but I guess it's quite impossible Laughing
So wouldn't mind to be a diplomat (I don't know if it's the word) for me this is THE PERFECT job because you can help your country and know another ones... I study so hard to be a diplomat, you have no idea... I hope someday my dream come true! Very Happy
zoharnatan
which i am now... but I want to b a teacher in my own school so I can set the rules...

aducation is the most important thing and i hate to say it but he aducational system in Israel is the worst ever. Not that the English one is better...

It seems we've taken all the wrong things from the British Mandate...

Pitty....
tdlinkin
I wouldnt mind being a web designer for the rest of my life. That would be the collest job in the world. All i would do all day would be to design and learn new things about various different languages. I would have to learn a new language every couple of years and a new code evry couple of minutes but it would be wonderful. I could even just do web designing on the side but that would be something that i would to do for the rest of my life. Idea Idea Idea
smitt04
I am kind of wondering the same thing myself, i mean i am going to college right now to become a computer engineer, but i dont know exactly what i want to become when i graduate. every time i think of something i always end up changing my mind down the road. It is really difficult to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. My best bet would be to do something that you love, for me anywho i am gong to do something with computers, thats all i know.
cjtucker
I have a music degree (music therapy) and was working in financial aid administration for about five years until I almost couldn't stand to do it anymore. I could go back to it if the environment (i.e., the specific college/university, the right office surroundings and good coworkers) was right for me. But I recently had the luxury of leaving my job to become a stay-at-home dad and think about where I want to go next with my career.

So, after toying with several ideas, I decided to go with what I know: music therapy. Mind you, music therapy is a broad field with many possible career avenues, and I still am not sure exactly where I'll fit in. But I've decided that there's only one thing that's really important:

Start with what you know, get out there and do it, and keep your eyes/ears/heart/mind open to what else might come of it.

I think that the longer you wait around for the perfect opportunity, the less likely it is to come to you. Sometimes you have to pay your dues in a career in order to get to a more satisfying place. Then all you have to do is tweak it here and there until it has become your perfect job.

I also would recommend taking a personality profile such as Myers-Briggs or even chatting with a career counselor. Does your alma mater offer career services? You might start with them.

Good luck! This is something most of us have asked ourselves, so thanks for voicing your concerns.

Chris
eliasr
im still a student, but i would love to make games, paly them, and fix computers. if i get alot of money for my work ,then would i love to do it the rest of my life. but if there not is so maney money in it, than i expect, then would i like to get a better job, so i got some money for wife and kids (i dont got those yet, but´they will come)
northgalaxy
i wouldnt mind doing somthing along the lines of graphic design
conicon
My job right now is a temp. Hopefully I can use the money I make temping to put myself back through school and hopefully do something that fits my interests. College was kind of a bust, basically I went so I could say that I have a 4 year degree but it isn't something that completely interests me. I remember in typing class some of the sublimal messages they would make us type in order to learn the keyboard were like "a job without aggravation is not really a job at all," but also don't forget that there is always yours hobbies. I for one like to drum and veg out on the computer, watch movies, spend time with my friends, drink (although I don't really consider it a hobby I end up doing that a lot,) and other stuff too. Hopefully I'll be doing something that I like before the end of the year. You are never going to know unless you try.
Eyre
my goal right now is to become a Navy SEAL. Since i was little i've been seeing documentary's about them ,and they are absolutly amazing. I've been researching lately and the physical test you've got to take is pretty impressive. I've starting physically training this year, and i've still got two years left. I would most definitly want to do this for the rest of my life.
Saryon
I actually would enjoy to create games, and work in good teams to create anotehr piece of masterwork.
marioflory
I got my degree in electrical engineering last december and started working as a commission engineer in january. I will be traveling worldwide to different locations and set up machines. I absolutely wanted to do this to discover new areas, improve my language skills and use the knowledge from my studies.
But I won't do this for the rest of my life, because a job like this doesn't allow a life with a family. And I'm sure I want to have my own family, not now, but in 4 years maybe. Until then I want to get as much experience as possible, and with the great salary I get I can go on vacation and life my dreams. So I'm happy, really happy! And what I will do after this job, I don't worry yet.
tooheymomster
Lol! I am 27 years old and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I am a mom of 2 children, a boy 4yrs and a girl 6 yrs old. I stay at home. I am trying to figure out something that I can do to make money from home. So if you have any suggestions, that take little money and are not scams, I am definately open to suggestions. I never finished college...so to all you youngin's out there reading this...I highly recommend readjusting your priorities. I am very happy regardless, although, there is a part of me that feels at times like I sacrificed too much of who I am and what I wanted. I think being a game tester would be cool, and I have done some research in that field, and it seems like everyone wants money to do that....if I am wrong, then please correct me. Smile
alexdomps
Definitely wouldn't mind being an IT teacher for the rest of my life. I just love helping people with I.T. Very Happy
Stealth
I would be a web designer, astronomer, software engineer and a graphics designer. I would 100% surely do something IT related.
redace
It´s natural that nobody wants to do the same job for rest of life. There is a lot of very interesting things one can do and why not try it? But the reality is harsh and we cannot learn to be professionals in many different areas. I study theoretical physics nad I really like it, but I ask myself very often "Do you want to do it for the rest of your life? Why not try something different like journalism?". But at the end there is no time, and no power to do something else. One day I will be a profi in one job that is funny and interesting and all I can say...there are many people, which would be happy if they had the job I can have. No chief, only thinking about important questions that can be sometimes used to improve our everyday life.
DarthRicmu
Well I would certainly want to do something in the Visual Effects Bussines...

But ofcourse it is natural nobody wants to have the same job for the rest of his life.....somewere it's gonnan start to be boring Razz
m_furquan36
I would like to become...

A VERY Successfull businessman with wealth at his doorstep and the repect of a godfather (something like bill gates)

yeah, im into business and will hopefully do well innit
dragonflame
tkcy wrote:
Hi guys,

You may have learned some of the basics in school, but guess what, you dont stop learning after you finish school. The next few years, you will get a job that you will like, some you wont like, and you will learn what you like best. You will get more skills, wonder about things you havent tried, and after some time, you will know what makes you happy.

It's good to have a goal like retiring at 50, but the trick is to find the job you like and yet keep you in stride for that goal.

I would love to be a painter, but that might mean not being able to afford some of the things I want. So sometimes you have to compromise. Finding a good balance is usually good enough. I dont think theres a perfect world.
Konimaka
i'd love to be a musician, like a guitarist, that would be awesome
i'm playing guitar, still learning, and i so want to play in a successful band later Very Happy
but it's not always possible though..
another thing is acting in movies or other things,
but what i'm going to learn for is becoming a director or do other things in the movie industry
that's my kind of work Very Happy
haris3
A job that i would do for the rest of my life would be to Surf the web. If i got paid for surfing the web, i would do it all the time.

Another thing i would do for life is become a Nascar driver.

How about being a President for life?

Many other things that i can't think of at the moment.
mrbreaker
Condom tester!!! Wink
Vashni
I've thought about this alot. First i wanted to do game design or game testing, but i think that might get old for me. so im going into internet/network security. yes, a hacker. i dont know if i'll do it until i retire, im sure i'll be doing it awhile. when i get sick of that i'll def do something with computers. just cant stay away from them.
haris3
I if i got paid for watching tv, i would watch it for life. As long as it had all the channels available. I would just there watch and watch. If i got free food with it, that would be the best thing. Not junk good, good, quality food.
Jeff_vella_leone
tkcy wrote:
Hi guys,

well im still studieing and i allways wanted to become an engenier but nowadays i start to realise that IT is in everything and i like it too.
Lets say i am a gamer and i think im going to change my idea of becoming an engenier to become a computer game maker, i think its fun and if i get a job with one of those firms it would be great
M8 IT is in everything today and ur degree will come in handy for u
good luck finding ur job Smile
psadornas
osbits
I will sit there quietly and think about the world,why we were born and what the meaning of life.And then I will come out of the door and inverstigate the nature things:small grass and flower,water and wind....
Frozen Balrog
I would definatly go into the Information Technology or Computer Science Feild. Think about it... It is always changing so it keeps always getting better...aka exciting.
girlinjapan
marioflory wrote:
I got my degree in electrical engineering last december and started working as a commission engineer in january. I will be traveling worldwide to different locations and set up machines. I absolutely wanted to do this to discover new areas, improve my language skills and use the knowledge from my studies.
But I won't do this for the rest of my life, because a job like this doesn't allow a life with a family. And I'm sure I want to have my own family, not now, but in 4 years maybe. Until then I want to get as much experience as possible, and with the great salary I get I can go on vacation and life my dreams. So I'm happy, really happy! And what I will do after this job, I don't worry yet.

Thats exactly what I want to do! Electrical (or maybe mechanical) engineering, and then travel around to different places to work! How cool would that be?!? But I also want to get into business and get an MBA. Whatever lets me travel and make money would be a dream job for me!!!!!
Critias
Try thinking about what you would want to see yourself doing ten years after. I used to be quite torn between working in a lab (research), a clinic or a school. Decided that i'll probably join the school as a counsellor at the end of the whole thing. Working with teens and children seemed like the thing to do for me. The mystery of their minds never fails to amaze me (lol, silliness and everything) but it's quite rewarding at the end of the day. You'll make a difference and I'll be glad to leave work knowing that.

oh, I'm doing psychology so.. it's a bit different from IT i guess.
Satori
I can think of a few things I would love doing for the rest of my life. One would be working with glass (which is also my current job.) Another would be owning and running a coffeeshop. And I would absolutely love to make a living as a dance instructor (swing dance of course.) Those are my passions right now...but of course, I suppose they could change in 20 years...who knows Smile But right now, I could easily see myself doing any or all of those things for the rest of my life
Hobbit
I wouldn't mind being in a band, touring the country. Rocking out, banging my head violently, etc.
techlab
The job that i will not do for sure at my rest life is prist, policeman, politics and the jobs that i will do or i can do for my rest life is computers general, sex phisiotherapist, actor, public relastionship, and any other that have famous, sex, and ofcource money,money,money,money,money,money.
techlab
techlab wrote:
The job that i will not do for sure at my rest life is prist, policeman, politics and the jobs that i will do or i can do for my rest life is computers general, sex phisiotherapist, actor, public relastionship, and any other that have famous, sex, and ofcource money,money,money,money,money,money.

And of cource i forget anything that have to do with music.
rajhank
i think i would go into the computer animation world.
kevrocks
I wouldn't mind being an architect. They get to work at home all they want and are paid more for being creative and artistic!
vika
I'm on my last month of school now. 3-years to be a flight mechanic, but I'm also unsure if this is what I want to do the rest of my life. How am I supposed to know at an age of 19 what I want to do the rest of my life, or in fact when I was 16 I had to choose this school, only knowing that airplanes was cool an it would be cool working on them.
I have until next Monday to choose witch company I want to work in. How am I supposed to choose that when I never have tried to work for any of them, and have nevere worked at all?
But I think that in some years I'll be a commercial pilot, I hope.
sour_lemon_1k
My dream job?

annoying people to the brink of insanity.

lol.

No, seriously, I would love to be a web designer...it's so awesome because not only does it weave art with computer, it's also (if you find the right department) a work-at-home job. I love to design webpages, including making layouts for xangas and stuff. My parents are SO annoyed at me because I could spend WHOLE days making layouts or working on my website, when I should be studying ^^; so that's fun. Unlike sports and stuff, this I can do for the rest of eternity, because all it needs is a computer and my brain. I don't think I'll retire unless my hands suddenly start to wear away with age, but then again, I can always get robotic hand (they already have those right now, and I imagine they'll be much faster in the future).

Very Happy
area547
First off... this is my first post, so hey everybody!
Well right now i'm in delayed entry for the navy. I recieved orders to start training for a SEAL at BUD/S in Coronado, Ca on October 5th.
Needless to say i'm stoked out of my mind about this and being part of the naval special warfare community is an honor.
I pretty much consider jumping out of helicopters and planes a dream job, so if everything works out the way I have it planned, then i'll be set.
Besides I get to see the world, pick up a couple new languages and gain greater cultural awarness.
And besides how many of you guys can trust your IT coworkers with your lives?
Haha take it easy guys.
cknight411
WOW! What does one do in the Lone Star State when one does not want to work in sales any longer. Though I work in technical sales my opinion does not change the way I feel about selling to people who are 99% intimidated by salespeople.

I have tried applying for training positions as well as marketing but have not had any call backs. Should I begin my own firm?
ivanegues
Someone once said "find somthing you love to do and then someone who would pay you for doing it".

I think you should consider it makes you happy in many ways: emotional, rational, economical. But the final choice I think it have to come from within.
Tatsumaru
Personal trainer in the fields of exercise (weightlifting). I'd rather not stand in front of a group, giving a lesson to a group, I'm not super social haha. I would be better off giving 1 person specific advice on how to train and stuff. Exercise is a big part of my life anyway, I'd be happy to help people out with that.
lawmatchmaker
I think that if tourist guides are paid well , I won't mind doing that kind of job for the rest of my life. I love interacting with people, showing them new places, great resturants to eat...and just get to know people
Arcanoid
I worked for 3 years in a office and I have to say that I don't think that we are created to sit in a room all day and look into the screen.

Now I study biology so that I can go outside and work in the green sometimes (thats what I'm hoping Wink
freecitizen
Think about what makes you really happy. Something big or small.

I started working at a newspaper, and I'm finding journalism extremely interesting. I'm not sure yet what I want to do with my life. I want to help people, I know that. I want to give those that don't have a voice a way to communicate with the rest of the world. I want to inspire people to help.

I'm just doing everything right now that has to do with politics. The paper, working on political campaigns, organizing cross-cultural conferences.. i'm just trying my best to be involved in the world around me. And that is what makes me happy.
awesty
Hobbit wrote:
I wouldn't mind being in a band, touring the country. Rocking out, banging my head violently, etc.

yea, i would like to be in a famous band too... but that is pretty hard to get into. other than that when i grow up i think ill do something to do with animating, making video games or web design. but ive still got a few years ahead of me till then, so who knows Confused
sumangurung
I love music, I play a bit of guitar and am trying to form a kind of a band. I am also an IT graduate and i do love programming and learning new stuffs. I really love the feeling of solving programming problem.
Now, my dream job would be to combine these two fields. Is there actually a profession which can do these two? I would love to do things that i love.
christianksurfing
Litter picking on the beach

My mate applied for a job as a fudge packer in Devon but just missed the deadline
Blackangel
isuggest avoid making what you like most, your job. I think you will soon loose the excitement and fun, so beeter ahveit as ahobby, and get another one as a job.
standready
Do what you love to do. For me it is mechanical engineering. Got burned out by a poor boss. So I freelance now.
jipmerite
I'd love to be a teacher.

I also like Graphic/Web Designing but I really lack artistic talent.
noirame
Well, I've been studying makeup artistry at the Blanche MacDonald Institute! It's been a lot of fun, and I'm enjoying it so much! I can really see myself doing makeup for the rest of my life! =D

I'm 18, and I went to a college before going to Blanche MacDonald. However, I hated the college. I found it bland and boring. It was so straight forward and unflexible. I hated it so much that I'd always end up in the computer lab and working on my artwork and website design. =D After obviously failing every single class and getting academic suspension...I realised that if I was spending so much time on art, and I enjoyed it, then why am I not striving to reach a career in an artistic field?

I just had to connect the dots and think about what I wanted out of a career, and what I couldn't hurt to lose. I love art, adore socialising with people, enjoy experimenting with colour, have a fasination with detail, enjoy using my hands to work, like using pencils and brushes to work, love variety, and look forward to doing my artwork (I could do art all day)! Makeup artistry gives me all of that! I believe that I'm going to be very happy in my job.

Obviously, though, I'll have other things on the side. Everything has to be moving and changing for me, or I start to go a little crazy and I get very angry. XDDD
kimiku
in an ideal world, i would rather become an artist (paint, sketch, 3d too). supported by the government and my clients, hehe. But life is not as flowery as this...

... So I would juz be a chemist (a specialized one, not decided yet) for the rest of my life. I would go from industry to research to make my life more exciting. The frontiers of science always give excitement to the men of science.

But I would still maintain a mini studio for my hobby in my house. This way, life never becomes a bore. But I would minimize digital art (unless the cure/elixir for carpal tunnel syndrome would be developed!). My hand!

By then, I would think that my lifetime is too short for what I do. Sigh!
peroxide
rock star, soccer player, or just sit at home collecting dividends from stocks
Ka7raK
I think being a pro-gamer is the best job you can have. The idea of playing games your whole life and making money with that just rules. This might sound a little child-like but it's the truth.

In a more serious pattern, i think webdesign, game development and everything related to creativity is awesome. You never do the same thing twice.
Linda_B
I'm thinking of owning a hostel in one of the Central American countries where the water is always warm and the temperatures never change to drastically. Lovely beaches, nice local people and of course fellow backpackers in and out. Then, when spring break comes along or there is a heavy inflow of tourists I hand over to an assistant and go home to see my family and friends....

For when I'm older.
tlambert
The job I wouldn't mind to do for ages is being a teacher. And the great part of it: I'm a teacher, starting September 1st Very Happy I spent the last three years becoming a teacher at a Belgian variant of a college and now it's starting fore real. Happy!
iexplore
Ok. So you guys are lost. So what's new? most people are (more than 70%)... I am working in a software company as a pre-sales person but have my joys somewhere else. Sometimes it's just a necessity (like in my case). but a lot of times its passion (most times) and i'm passionate about the environment and would definitely spread my wings in that direction very soon... I found out a little late or rather, found out much early (sometime when I was 24 is my best guess but couldn't do much about it then nor now.
mavahntooth
for me... anything that will give me a great salary, nice co-workers and good environment. office type is more prioritize.
maming
Just the same here, got a degree, kinda like database design..I mean that's pretty neat, design the whole business system for a company, make their lives a lot easier, and get paid really well...
But that's definitely not what I wanna do till my late 50's! So, I think you should look into yourself and find what you really love doing, and try to combine it with your knowledge (still it would b a shame to let an IT degree go to waste:) )
crimson_aria
I'm not finish with my degree yet. I'm still studying. I'd love a job that concerns computer and Internet especially web design and digital art. I'm not an expert in either of the two but I'm learning. I won't mind studying and doing that kind of job for the rest of my life. It's what I enjoy. Having a big salary out of it would be perfect. I know my passion might change. So, if ever it'll change, I'd want a job that complements my passion.
jipmerite
techlab wrote:
sex phisiotherapist,

Woah! Man I wonder what a sex physiotherapist does. I have heard of Sex Therapists before but never a Sex Physiotherapist. Laughing

I would like to be a successful businessman. I think I'd be pretty good at it. But I have no money to start a business.
wutzpost
I always wanted to be a web developer
corey
sonam wrote:
I want to be retired just NOW! Then I can create free scripts, post in forum, walk on the riverside, ride the bike... Very Happy

But not chance today. Sad Maybe tomorrow. Wink

Sonam
I, too, aspire to be retired, but, alas, I have to earn an income to eat, etc. So, a nice second choice would be professional sportfisherman. I'd get to fish for all kinds of different fist in all kinds of places with somebody else's fishing gear and all I'd have to do was smile for the camera, catch the fish, tell a joke, and plug the sponsor!
Alias
I'm planning to get a job right now. I want to be a web developer or a graphic artist. Though I don't have any assurance that I could get a good job because its hard to find a job here in our place. I wan't to work to other country.
sumangurung
well, i dont seeem to get satisfied with any job after some time. i kinda get bored. But there are something i havent tried like doing temporary jobs for some time and then doing something completely different.
Rite now i am a office worker with some computer stuffs. I like it but now i think i am losing the whole deal in it. Maybe i want something more dynamic then just sitting at your desk trying to sovle a freaking programming problem. Maybe something into music, that woudl be cool for the time being. Anyones got any suggestions!!!
sky217
I think I'd like to be a Stay at Home Dad. Laughing
ColdFire
For me i think Proffesional Gamer is the coolest job on earth! I mean, they provide you with the hardware and latest games, then you play... And they PAY you!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
Scoria
I dont know, maybe something to do with girls or cars. A porno star? Very Happy Na, I really dont know. I know this guy that gets plaid A LOT for just test driving cars, like lamboghini, aston martin, ferrari and all that kind of stuff. I find that really awsome, and I would not mind doing something similar, but hey, who knows, eh? Smile

Computers, I dont know. Sitting in front it for ages, common, what kind of life is that? Sport, to tirering, I dunno what I want to be when I grow up, just got wait and see, I suppose.
nathanuk
I am only 16 and i am starting collage in england and i am studing for music and ict but i do not know which one i would want to take to university as i can only get a degree in one of those two subjects. I know that i am Very talented at music but it would be harder to find a good steady job in but with it there are thousands of carea options. i would like to be either a muscision or a games designer/programmer
kazoe
jawker wrote:
...I got offers for call centers/ help desk but I totally hate those jobs because of the shifting and night shift schedules. I'm already turning 25 and I'm totally lost right now I don't know what to really do and I don't want to become a bum. I hope something turns up right this year...

man, me boom ang webpage thingers ngaun ah??

dont waste your talent to call centers. i've waited for quite a long time to make myself settle on a nicer job in my area and i never regretted it because i love my job and i dont freaking care for the money. it will come later, just j ump on what you feel is an opportunity (not an alternative, or just a mere joblessness saver like call center)

try looking for freelance works first. there are lots of sites that looks for people who knows perl, sql, etc. andami, im telling you. all you have to do is to have guts.

another things is to collect your works and keep your best works as your portfolio. it will take you to more higher grounds. working freelance for a while, will make this possible. collecting portfolio works and gaining experience. and are you looking for job sites like jobsDB or jobstreet? those were the sites that have regular jobs posted and i know there are lots that are looking for IT grads nowaday. or, i can direct you to some freelance community where you can look for work. basta magtiyaga ka lang, dont loose hope and most of all, be patient.

im a freelance artist but im not recommending being one to everybody. being a freelancer is freaking hard especially if you're going to start in scratch. i worked as a regular graphic artist first before doing freelance, and i'm still having difficulty even though i have contacts.
arjay
Most of us would like our profession to be flexible and evolving that is why we want to hear from others both the negative and the positive of their courses. Maybe this is one way of delivering our concern to our future bloodline. We hope more IT professionals will share their ups and downs in this field. Thank you very muck
PhotoBoy
Hey, I have not yet reached the point that you are at yet... however I know what You mean, I kind of am at the samepoint however mine is with selecting a collage major... If it's anything like this stress then I hope U'r Doning OK Laughing ! Well let us know how it goes!
tolerance
I really want to do something with art - preferably illustrations, or character design (I am also interested in animation, but not to the extent of the above two.) But right now I'm not entirely sure which part of art I want to pursue, so yeah. I'm not even sure which degree I'm going for yet (I'm so organized, hah.)

I thought about doing web design for a while, but honestly I'm not that great at it and so many people are so much better, so I think art is the way to go for me (I couldn't live without drawing anyway, so this way it all works out for everyone. :P)
arecanut
My dream job? Watermelon farmer. Too bad there's that real life/practicality thing.

You get to live the good, simple life. You'll never go hungry or thirsty, as what better food is there than watermelon? You'd probably be in great physical shape from all the watermelon lifting...

Maybe I'll keep a barn and few cows to make beef jerky, too.
katalysator
Oh, I'm absolutely glad I'm in IT/Networking. I am part of a field that is constantly changing, which I love. I'm part of a field that connects people and businesses all over the world. I am part of a field that allows collaboration across continents, sharing across the seas, communication between countries. When pondering the vast engine of technology, IT and networking is where everything is made possible. Standards are developed, encryption is made publically available, enterprise capability trickles down to the home end-user, and whole avenues of electronic exploration are continually opened for increasingly saavy people. Its so exciting!
bartdou
I don¡¯t think that¡¯s incredible that some guys are willing go do a certain job in which he is so interest for the rest of his life, that's men¡¯s commonness, we¡¯re all glad to exert all our strength to the things we¡¯re interest in. Somebody¡¯s interest in one thinf can lasts through his whole life,but some others¡¯ always change.

I belong to the latter ones, so I can¡¯t say which job I wouldn¡¯t mind doing for the rest of my life, I can not guarantee I will love it forever. When I was in primary school for a period of time I lost myself in painting, I painted almost everyday instead of playing outside with my guys. For this my parents often forced me to throw the paint brush and go out. Before long I still didn¡¯t paint out my ¡®masterwork¡¯ and the enthusiasm calm down, I threw the brush myself. When in high school, I was tempted by guitar, I learned it myself and practice once I have spare time. Of course gradually I can play some music, I have performed on the stage, they all applauded so warmly! Even now thinking of that I still feel excited, then because I have to try my best to get ready for the entrance exam of college I stopped it. And now I¡¯m in college I lost all the enthusiasm of that, I don¡¯t know why, perhaps there always are some other new interesting things for me, coding web is my interest now.

Oho, seems out of subject, I mean a man doing his interest is good forever, even through his interest often changes. You can work hardly day and night with your colleagues as a project master, one or two years later you suddenly wanna sing, just sing what you wanna sing out, so you hold your own vocal concert and issue your own album, no matter whether they sell well. Or you join the Animal protection organizations and try your best to protect the wild animals.

You can do everything that makes you feel happy, I want to experience more in my limited life. Isn¡¯t this good too?
kazoe
tolerance wrote:
I really want to do something with art - preferably illustrations, or character design (I am also interested in animation, but not to the extent of the above two.) But right now I'm not entirely sure which part of art I want to pursue, so yeah. I'm not even sure which degree I'm going for yet (I'm so organized, hah.)

there are bfa students that took a whole year of minor subjects before moving to their second year and deciding what major are they going to take. i was like that when im deciding my majors because there are different colleges that specializes in different majors. play and study for a while then make up your mind. then if you cant make up your mind, there are councilors or school staffs that could advise you on what's best in their opinion.

true that you wont hold an interest in a particular area for the rest of your life. of course, i also experience that. im the kind of person that gets easily tired/bored on anything (hence, being freelance.) not to mention my short attention span thing. i do a lot of things as far as i can manage. even though everybody expects me to take up painting, i graduated in fine arts majoring in advertising and i ended up doing graphic design when i graduated, then surprised everybody when i suddenly worked in an animation company. not too long after i stopped working there and sing with my friends and do battle of the bands. (btw, i belong to a choir when i was in college) i've decided to get in touch with my illustrator side and draw manga while writing on the side. and all the while i go on and off in webdesigning. so yeah, i got pretty much random and when i get sick of some area i leave it for a while and explore other grounds. it often resulted to poor health and lack of sleep but nonetheless, im happy.
carlospro7
I'm in the computer science field and so far I'm loving it. I can see myself doing this for a veeeeerrrryy looooonng time. Especially because in this programming field you can go in so many directions, and it ranges from game programming to artificial intelligence. This field is awesome! Dancing
The Mitchell
my perfect job has to be either a sound engineer or a musician. or anything that lets me play with pretty lights makes funny noises or is generally gadgetty or toy like.
Im currently looking for a job myself. pah its crap Sad
edmundgtp
I think I'd most like to be a mechanical designer of audio equipment. i.e. different types of loudspeakers, drivers, cabients, etc. etc.
boomtown15
I am a computer scientist and am loving it so far. There are a lot of things you can do with this degree. From designing complex algorithms to analyze genetic patterns to web design. A computer science degree can provide vast opportunities. However, I don't know if I could do this for the rest of my life. My life-long goal is to work for the FBI as a special agent. I am in the progress of doing so, but its not easy. Wink
roninmedia
I love to be in upper level management of a sports franchise. Wink
BlockUp
One of those people who designs the special effects in movies. I want to work mainly with the animatronics, but I can animate as well.
CWSwim
I’ve always wanted to be a meteorologist. Accuracy isn’t required and the pay seems good. Unfortunately it does require a face for television oh well maybe radio…..
ashok
software/it field... Very Happy
corey
I've decided that I don't want to work for the rest of my life. Others want to have that "ideal" job to keep them happy forever. Now, I've been working since I was 11 years old (in the summer, I picked berries in the fields for extra cash), and I think that I've done enough of that stuff. I've always worked hard and long, so maybe I feel this way because I've done enough up to this point. For the rest of my life, I'd like to wander the world and meet everyone, while I am supported by the lottery winnings from tonight's draw. Wish me luck.
benjmd
I think I could be a doctor for the rest of my life (but then again I'm three years into medical school so I suppose I should feel that way).
marcmgeronimo
i guess for me it is managing project. Although, I have just learned recently that it is a very hard and headache-full job, I guess I am up for the challenge. I have been a programmer for four years and would, of course, dreaming of going up the corporate ladder. Plus, it complements the additional education I am giving to myself in order to be an effective project manager.
venkateshwarans
Computers have always interested. I am in the IT field. Though I would prefer to be a share trader. Buy and sell shares, invest... coz my father is a share trader who makes real lots of money.
illegalhost
venkateshwarans wrote:
Computers have always interested. I am in the IT field. Though I would prefer to be a share trader. Buy and sell shares, invest... coz my father is a share trader who makes real lots of money.

That's cool. Is your father still in this line? But it does have alot of risks right?? How does he learn this trade? Is it from school or self-taught by himself? I'm also quite interested in shares trading but don't know where to start... Would be great if your father could share his experiences here. But then again, i think he has to register ay! Well, i think sometimes our aspirations changes with the time and seasons (believe it or not!), it is very seldom that our aspirations would be the same in 5 years time. But i guess it would be wonderful to try different types of jobs and find one that you could concentrate on in the late years to support you til retirement...
arjay
marcmgeronimo wrote:
i guess for me it is managing project. Although, I have just learned recently that it is a very hard and headache-full job, I guess I am up for the challenge. I have been a programmer for four years and would, of course, dreaming of going up the corporate ladder. Plus, it complements the additional education I am giving to myself in order to be an effective project manager.

Hello there marcmgeronimo,

Your post interests me because it seems project management is the job that you won’t mind doing for the rest of your life. Is there any particular area in project management that you are specifically interested to perform for the rest of your life? Smile

I am just interested to note that while most are trying to avoid ‘headache-full’ jobs, you are proud to say you are up to the challenge. It seems that your post may serve as a good model and example for us striving students to have a good focus in careers and professions that give a lot of challenges. This attitude, I guess, is one of the effective ways to survive the very tough competition in our future ‘corporate’ world. Smile

We would like to read some follow-ups to your post, making mention the expected specific challenges as a project manager or as a project leader and the possible means to ‘pass with flying color’ while excelling in each and every one of them. Exclamation

Some of the posters here have leadership qualities and your post will definitely help and enlighten us (and them) in choosing, this early in our education, the appropriate path to success while performing our future jobs that we 'won’t be minding' doing for the rest of our lives. Smile

Thanks and more power to you - on your way to realizing your dream.
Anticollie
Well, I have a bit of both worlds here, I do a lot of design work, and some managing of personale. However, if i was asked by some rich tycoon with connections up tot he wa-zoo, what I would like to do... I would probably ask to be the project manager of some up-and-comming online game, much like CounterStrike, or World of Warcraft.

The position interests me a lot, because while I definatly impact how the game turns out, it isn't up to me to design the features... sometihng I'm growing increasingly tired of as these years tick by. Setting up a complete and accurate projection of "What we want in our project" and then holding meetings on "How we are going to achieve this goal." are all very interesting to me, a supremely organised individual.

Perhaps one day I will persue this goal, as it isn't necessarily outside of my current industry... just a step above.

Anticollie.
peaceninja
I would not mind working as a diplomat, this of course renders my entire IT background as mostly unusable I think, but you know I want to make the world a better place...
arjay
Anticollie wrote:
Well, I have a bit of both worlds here, I do a lot of design work, and some managing of personale. However, if i was asked by some rich tycoon with connections up tot he wa-zoo, what I would like to do... I would probably ask to be the project manager of some up-and-comming online game, much like CounterStrike, or World of Warcraft.

The position interests me a lot, because while I definatly impact how the game turns out, it isn't up to me to design the features... sometihng I'm growing increasingly tired of as these years tick by. Setting up a complete and accurate projection of "What we want in our project" and then holding meetings on "How we are going to achieve this goal." are all very interesting to me, a supremely organised individual.

Perhaps one day I will persue this goal, as it isn't necessarily outside of my current industry... just a step above.

Anticollie.

Smile Hello. I have just a simply query for your interesting post and i hope to be enlightened in some points. Since, it is not very clear what’s your specific job and position, the way I understood it, your job is a combination of design (technical) and human resource (management) which is even more challenging if you have a good vision with your company.

But while you say that you will ‘impact’ how the game will turn out it is not up to you to design its features. Will it be helpful if you have a background in the design itself while you are handling the project management so you will have the overall feel and the responsibility for the success or failure of your game project? Smile

I still believe project management will succeed if you have the acumen to properly select the people that you will be working with PLUS the overall idea of what your project is all about. So, I see your possible success as a project manager if you will be handling a game project which design you are also interested and have keen perception to its details. The only difference is how you use a lot of technical time as a designer compare to management time as a project manager. Smile

Both can be very challenging. It is a matter of choice. When you are both the director and the actor, whether you want to win the Best Director or the Best Actor award depends on individual preferences. For you, I think you will opt for the Best Director while in my case I may opt for the Best Actor award. Why? The Best Director may have not won the award if not for a good performance by the casts including the actors and actresses. But the Best Actor may be able to win the award even if he got the worst director directing him. Smile

In other words, the success of the project depends on the concerted efforts of each staff with bigger chunks going to the Designers. A Designer can excel even with the worst Project Manager, while a game Project Manager won’t survive if he got the worst designers for his team. There are so many well-project-managed game software that failed miserably in sales because of bad design. While there are not so well-project-managed game software that proved successful in the market due to good design – take the case of the Final Fantasy. It has been delayed for so many times (poor project management) but once released it makes a lot of wave in commercial successes. The reason for its success is not because the users (customers) see good project management during its development, but because they see superior graphics design and features. Smile

I think Bill Gates declared his preference for himself as the Chief Architect (designer) of Microsoft than the OIC (project manager) he has been used to for the same reason (aside from the court litigation issues) – the designer will always be remembered and will stand in the same footing with his design creations more than the managers. Smile

In your case, I think you will surely succeed as a game Project Manager because you have with you the ‘best’ Designer who can interpret your goals and objectives to the minute details – YOUrself. Exclamation

Goodluck and thanks for sharing your dreams.
nicki_rose98
I went to school for Public Relations and Marketing but I'm not doing shit with either one. I'm working as a legal assistant. If I could do anything I would want to be a writer.
noromyxo
@Nicole: same here! I'd love to just sit with my laptop in a coffee shop all day and write, write, write! but the world is harsh and I have to deal with the realities of gas money, allowance, and the fact that I have to keep on buying food (for a skinny guy, I've got a darn big appetite).

Next to writing, I'd love to do Concept Making. I know it's not a real job but that's what I love to do. For example, I see this app and it's real cool, I think up ways to make the app better, like maybe some new features or redesign.

I also like to think up of ways to make normal stuff around me better. For example, if the call center I am calling sucks, I start giving them advice. Very Happy Yeesh, I know, I can get overbearing at times but what can I do? I'm just positively brimming with ideas.
livein10
One thing you don't want to forget when you are striking out in search of your dreams, everything is financed by money and it is important to have a stable source of income while you pursue your goals.
watersoul
I change my mind every few years! I seem to think, oh yes, this is my path in life, succeed at it then get bored with it, and move to something else.
One day I'm sure I'll find "it", but until then I'll run with whatever I'm focussing on at any given time - BSc Environmental Chemistry at the moment Smile
furtasacra
I have loved writing since I was a child. I would LOVE to have time to devote to doing nothing else, so obviously I need to figure out a way to get PAID for doing it.

Getting started with writing for a living has a nasty catch-22, though. It's difficult to make enough money to live on if you don't spend all your time writing, but it takes so long to make money you'll starve to death before before you get paid. And if you have a regular job to keep from starving to death, you won't have time to write. ~Sigh~
deneb.star
You can't be more right,

finding the right job is extremelly important. You spend 8 hours a day at your job, if you don't like it it becomes a nightmare very quickly.
furtasacra
deneb.star wrote:
You spend 8 hours a day at your job, if you don't like it it becomes a nightmare very quickly.

No kidding. I just started a new job, and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'll give it a month, and if it sucks I'm getting something else. I have had jobs from hell before, and frankly, I'm getting too old to put up with spending a third of my life being miserable.
poiko123
I wouldn't mind playing music for a livingg, but I'm not great enough to survive solely on that. I think being a tour guide would be great, especially in Europe. I could get to meet people and guide them through Europe every two or three weeks.
dac_nip
I would probably be going around the world..yup, that would be my job, leisurely spending your life around the globe. spontaneously doing what you want anytime and anywhere=>absolute freedom. Very Happy
linangan
My passion is language, and the hobby I would like to explore further is photography. So there is nothing in the world I would love better than to be a professional travel writer/photographer.

That would mean that I would get lots and lots of opportunity to travel -- for free! I would get to experience different places, expose myself to varied cultures, cover a lot of events, while sharing all of my work and experiences with others.

I think everybody dreams to get paid doing something they really love, so if I could do something like this, I'd be one really happy camper. Cool
furtasacra
linangan wrote:
My passion is language, and the hobby I would like to explore further is photography. So there is nothing in the world I would love better than to be a professional travel writer/photographer.

That would mean that I would get lots and lots of opportunity to travel -- for free! I would get to experience different places, expose myself to varied cultures, cover a lot of events, while sharing all of my work and experiences with others.

I think everybody dreams to get paid doing something they really love, so if I could do something like this, I'd be one really happy camper. Cool

Sounds like you need to brush up on your photography and try to get a job with National Geographic.
budiman
I feel the same. I am doing a research job. I am kind of bored but can not change the job since I have made the money from it all the time. We are stuck man.
creezalird
If I happens to live without family,wife and so on, I will work as an electrical engineer for my whole life...
kiranaghor
Right now I do some web programming stuff. I would love to be an enterprenuer on Web platform or maybe some mac os application development.
I also want to be mayor of the city where I live.
gxdrifter
I would like to read comics for a living. Maybe like a reviewer... that would be nice Smile
rheanna
working on computers...
Xzmk07
definataly being in football .. well probably till im 45.. doesnt anyone like the feeling of knocking someone down? Smile
Shin
I would like to be a member crew who make documentary programmes so I get chance to travel difference and interesting places.
frozenhead
I'm currently working in the I.T. Business and I think is really meant for me for the rest of my life. Wink
Azmo
I love my ex job, as a life guard at a water palace, and group fitness instructor, thinking of getting back to it this summer when it's time to move again
FindingMe
I want to work in sports, film, music, fashion and photojournalism... if this could all be together that would be The Best. I have a b.a. in mass communications, mostly media arts and journalism, but no jobs in my state for people who have no connections, and no experience. (oh and student loans up the ...) lol! Embarassed Shocked Laughing
_AVG_
I'd be a film producer (provided most of my films are box office successes) ; very little work and a lot of fame / success.
jwellsy
Ski Patrol in either the Lake Tahoe or SLC area.
lrj945
Next to writing, I'd love to do Concept Making. I know it's not a real job but that's what I love to do. For example, I see this app and it's real cool, I think up ways to make the app better, like maybe some new features or redesign. A Designer can excel even with the worst Project Manager, while a game Project Manager won’t survive if he got the worst designers for his team. There are so many well-project-managed game software that failed miserably in sales because of bad design. While there are not so well-project-managed game software that proved successful in the market due to good design � take the case of the Final Fantasy.

The position interests me a lot, because while I definatly impact how the game turns out, it isn't up to me to design the features... sometihng I'm growing increasingly tired of as these years tick by. Setting up a complete and accurate projection of "What we want in our project" and then holding meetings on "How we are going to achieve this goal."
FastDebrid
That would be to design clothes. It is not my job right now but it is a dream job of mine.
Along with hosting a travel show. Very Happy
LegendVPN
Being a Hollywood actress... Very Happy as if.