FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lord of War!

lyndonray
I finally saw that movie last night and it was great. One the reasons i love it so much is that "our hero" is a bad guy who traffics guns and helicopters. The ending is great despite the fact that he's lost everything except his business.
There is a lot to admire and hate about him. He does what he does because he is simply good at it. but then again he can see the effects of his trade every time he goes to some f--ked up country in Africa to sell his merchandise. like mutilated kids or a bunch 14 year old running around ak's.

He has a sick sense of humor and is really quick on his feet that's why you have to love him. Finally a movie where you like the bad guy and he doesn't reform at the end - because bad guys hardly ever reform at the end. Besides, their are enough of those movies around. it's a real eye opener into the gravity of these thrid world conflicts. A great movie, but sad at the same time.

What do you think of it??
mrblah
I thought the movie was just OK. I thought it was trying to make too much of a statement and not just being an entertaining movie. I like it when the bad guys are still likeable but the pace of the movie just didn't work for me. It reminded a little of the comedy from the 80's with Chevy Chase where he is selling arms to other places.
lyndonray
chevy chase?? ok that's a bit too much. I thought the pace was alright. it had enough blood and gore and dark humour nicely distributed throughout the movie. i thought it was great
polit
I presume it's a very nice movie. The first minutes, where the camera follows the way of the bullet from the factory to the moment when it kills... Gives the movie a unique atmosphere from the beginning. And our "hero" is very strange - a (not-)jewish ukrainan american immigrant ? Very strange life from the beginning...
In my opinion, this movie is one of the best ones about war in the last years, like No Man's Land. Realism does not means precisely replayed episodes from a war, like in Saving Private Ryan, but the true passions and feelings of men who make wars or stand behind them. Or simple individual interests...
dcshoes23
I think it was an alright movie. It's not really my type of movie but I really liked how the ending is all twisted like that, you know, a real surprise. Like you thought that it was going to be the end for him because he was losing everything, his wife, his kid, his brother, and then gets caught at customs.
lazaruz
I think just about anything Nicholas Cage is in will be a good movie, this was no exception. Good story, nice pace, and great acting. With Nicholas Cage you can't go wrong.
lyndonray
oh, the part when ethan hawke is interrogating him, happy that he's finally caught him is the best. When Nicholas cage is like,

"Let me tell you what is gonna happen. This way you can prepare yourself. Soon there is gonna be a knock on that door and you will be called outside. In the hall, there will be a man who outranks you. first, he will complement you on the fine job you have done and you are making the world a safer place, that you are to receive a commendation and a promotion and then, he is going to tell you that I am to be released. You're gonna protest. You'll probably threaten to resign. But in the end, I will be released."

and then that's exactly what happens. that's classic!!
boringest
i think they could have made it better, sometimes i find it abit slow...and i hate watching ppl taking drugs and become so dependent on the big screen..
ivanhoe
I didn't really enjoy it as a whole. But I did appreciate the way that the movie was made, subtle touches like him going to all these different countries and seeing his reactions. As always, the acting of Nic Cage was superb. The reason I didn't like the movie was that I found it too slow and it wasn't what I was expecting.
ejmaster
I thought the movie was total crap....I can't stand Nick Cage and I think his acting "sucks". With the exception of "Kiss of Death" he plays the same character over-and-over again. I knew the movie was going to be bad at the very begining with that cheap looking computer rendered bullet scene, and I was right that it would only be down hill from there. This movie was way too pretentious, and obviously looking to win academy awards to be taken serious. The movie was just plain horrible!!!
midoelwerwary
i also think it is nice

i saw it and it was exciting
AzTeK
This movie was great shows how powerfull money can turn someone and even shows how much corruption goes on in the USA
impulse29
My opinion may be a bit sided, as I LOVE movies where illegal business is done. Some of my favourites include Blow, and Catch Me If You Can. For this reason, I absolutely loved Lord of War. It had a more comedic approach than blow and catch me if you can, and I think Nicholas Cage did an excellent job with his character (Yuri). Many parts were unrealistic (especially to be based on a true story), but I think the introductory scene was the most influential: weapons change hands many times before their destination. Many are made in America, and end up in the exact war that America tries to stop. They are used to kill all kinds of people, including children.
madamex-7
oh man, i rented this movie last night. It was fantastic. favorite part: "brown brown"
truly impressive performance by nic cage.
schu1162
I thought this movie was terrible. First of all, Cage is a terrible actor. Secondly, I have a hard time enjoying a movie that is glorifying such a sick person. I would reccomend Hotel Rwanda instead
faker_phil
Sorry I post this late, but I just saw it and I love it. Nicolas Cage again brought this nonchalant style, especially in the interrogation room at the end of the movie. That was great!
squeakypants
I really enjoyed this one. It's one of the movies where I thought it would end before it did, but one of the few where what happened after my predicted ending was enjoyable. Very dark, almost sad ending.
paulbarter
I really enjoyed Nicholas Cage in this one. He played a really emotionally distant character that is refreshingly different to the normal Hollywood chatracters. He played a similar-type character in the movie "Matchstick Men" - also really good.

However he has done some corny stuff too - like on Con Air and Face off. Generally, a good actor though!
Draznog
I loved this movie and for the fact that it is based on a true story.
rightclickscott
I will admit that I have a man-crush on Nicholas Cage, and this was a movie I did enjoy. There's just something about annarchaic diplomacy and money making that just easily makes this a smart movie that easily goes as one of my favorites.
GProject
I really enjoyed this movie too. Caught it in theatres last year and I was glad I did. Yes, I'm a Nic Cage fan, but not everything he does is amazing, so it was nice to see him in a solid film. I'm yet to pick up the DVD, but I probably will just to see the very cool title sequence again.
shaggly
I have this movie, and I have seen it about 10 times now. I think it is extremey well made, and Nicholas does a great job in leading the movie.

It's a great piece that really takes a different type of look at the style of world that we live in, and pulls no punches about it. It's a shame that it didn't get the critical acclaim that it probably deserved because of the subject matter and it's sensitivity to the American public.
Mr. McCoy
I have the movie, and I realy like Nicholas in it. Hes so ****** good ;D
And yes, its cool finally that the "hero" is a bad guy.
And Soooooo many ak's in the movie Very Happy
elyah_ariel
lyndonray wrote:
I finally saw that movie last night and it was great. One the reasons i love it so much is that "our hero" is a bad guy who traffics guns and helicopters. The ending is great despite the fact that he's lost everything except his business.
There is a lot to admire and hate about him. He does what he does because he is simply good at it. but then again he can see the effects of his trade every time he goes to some f--ked up country in Africa to sell his merchandise. like mutilated kids or a bunch 14 year old running around ak's.

He has a sick sense of humor and is really quick on his feet that's why you have to love him. Finally a movie where you like the bad guy and he doesn't reform at the end - because bad guys hardly ever reform at the end. Besides, their are enough of those movies around. it's a real eye opener into the gravity of these thrid world conflicts. A great movie, but sad at the same time.

What do you think of it??

I agree entirely with you when you say that this film is purely great. I live in Madagascar (african country), so I'm happy that Hollywood let know such bad things to the world. And Nicolas Cage plays his role wonderfully within. A great film of revolting style!
indeedwrestling
Lord of War is a terrific movie. What I liked about it was the gritty anti-hero status that Nicholas Cage's character encapuslated. As for the portrayal of Africa, I felt that they tried hard to give it a realistic feel without pouring a sappy morality over it. Instead they focused on how Liberia was a dangerous and messed up place largely because the dictactor was a sicked and twisted individual who would bankrupt and kill his own people to hold power. Those of us that follow African political history are well aware of this but I felt "Lord of War" did an excellent job presenting this in a clear manner for people unfamilar with the situation too.