FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop Help

jarred89
Hello, I am buying a laptop and it comes with Windows XP Home but i want to install Windows XP Professional on it. Do i just install it over the Home or do i reformat the whole hardrive and do a new install??
jesv00
I think both ways would work just right.
What I would do is insert the Win XP Proffesional edition cd and reboot the computer. This way, when the computer turns on again it'll boot from the cd.
Then I think the Windows installer asks you if you want to update the home edition or format the hard drive and install the new version.
wowz
Depends on where you got it.. if you got it from dell, format it lol
If you have all the software you want on it, it's always good to format and start fresh.
If you don't have the cds for all the software you want to keep on the comp, install over it so you don't lose said precious files.

Both ways will work, but which is better depends on what you want. Do you want to keep all software that comes preinstall on the comp? Do you have cds for the software you do want to keep? And of course, is it dell? If it's dell, format it.. or send it back Wink LOL
Squeeky
What i did with mine was insert the XP Pro CD and just folo the process to reinstall Windows. Easy!
fayettemat
wowz wrote:
Depends on where you got it.. if you got it from dell, format it lol
If you have all the software you want on it, it's always good to format and start fresh.
If you don't have the cds for all the software you want to keep on the comp, install over it so you don't lose said precious files.

Both ways will work, but which is better depends on what you want. Do you want to keep all software that comes preinstall on the comp? Do you have cds for the software you do want to keep? And of course, is it dell? If it's dell, format it.. or send it back Wink LOL

dells stink thats why i bought a mac (i've screwed up my OS by deleting the language files *rolls eyes*) and had to reinstall and it takes no time at all on an iBook so my suggestion to you is to ditch the dell and get an Powerbook or iBook or if you have alot of money the MacBook Pro Smile
Vrythramax
Your windows XP Pro disc should either upgrade the existing version of xp you have or trash it as it sees fit....this Microsnot we are talking about here, so there's no telling what Big Bad Bill has up his sleeve for us.

You really should read my page on XP Pro here:
http://web.meganet.net/kenshi/microsloth/

That's right...I hate Microsoft and I ain't afraid to say it.
Animal
If it's a retail version of XP Pro, you'd be best formatting the disk and starting from scratch instead of trying to upgrade the OS. The support is better for a retail version, and the OEM version will have been modified by the manufacturer.

But it's really easy to format the disk - it's all part of the WinXP install procedure. As the others have said, insert the CD, reboot your computer and get it to run from the CD. Format the partition then install away!
KHO
Let me ask you this,
When you got it, and you first turned it on, did like 50 things you have no idea what they are load? lf so, re-format Neutral.
Look at the start menu, down by the clock, there is an arrow, click the arrow and count how many icons are there. Did you manage to count them all before it shrunk? lf not, re-format, as that is usually uselsss crap the company *coughs dell/gateway* installs Neutral.
ls your computer about 30x slower than you think it should be? Neutral Re-format Neutral.
ck88
Make sure that you have all the necessary driver before you dump the original OS if thats your only machine and your only connection to the WEB.
I have a Sony and did not bother to reinstall. XP home works fine for what I do with the Laptop, and thats a lot. (Right now I am doing my master in computer science.) But I guess keeping the original OS is not the question here. So think DRIVERS before you do anything.