FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer Science Education

mschnell
So I'm nearly through a computer science minor and I don't feel like I could develop anything worthwhile. I can make the most rediculous of programs and have no idea how to incorporate them with the web. I think web design courses would have been worth much more to my life. Maybe now it will be easier for me to learn html and php but I'm still a bit frustrated. I can make rediculous data structures and make simple programs that seem pointless. I'm wondering if anyone has advice. It seems like there have to be practical applications of Computer Science that aren't too far beyond my reach, but I'm just not seeing it.

-Matt
pakialamaers
Hi Matt, do you mean programming with C/C++, FoxPro, Assembly? I think computer science could be more in Developing Softwares than in web. Computer Scientests mostly developed softwares like, word, excel, photoshop or even another programming language using their great programming skills.
pakialamaers
Sorry for my wrong spelling of the scientists. Anyway, you can apply your programming skills in data structures on the web; cause even in web developing, there is programming deeds especially when you want to have your site a back-end (i.e. username, password).
mschnell
I program in C# and Java; they're very similar.
BearClaw
once you learn basic computer logic all the languages are so similar they're easy to learn. the only ones that really take some studying are html, which is easy on its own, and CSS. those are the only languages i can think of that are web related and do not share the same programming structures of conventional languages.

i used to be a comp sci major, but got sick of it. structs and 5k line programs bored me. i'm a graphic design major now. personally i think web design courses should be based around a computer science course list since a good amount of functionality that websites employ is programming with scripts.
vinx_18
Hey Matt!

I am also in a computer course, particularly taking up Bachelor of Science in information tehcnology. I've been into your case too a few years back. I hated what I have taken up. I hated what I'm doing. In other words, I lack the confidence of making a good crap on my course. But as time goes by, I said to myself that I have to do something. Eventually I've been in love with my course. What i did was: First, I believe to myself that I can do what others can do. Believing on to yourself, no matter what ,I think would boost yourself on making dreams come true. Second, I find, look, do some strategies to improve my skills. I look for institutions that trains people related to my course other than my school. I research on the library and internet. Third, I relax rather than being afraid. Fearing of what future brings just wastes your time. Focus on the present!

that's all...I hope it helps.....
burningjacks
i am also in a Computer and Information Science course in Vo Tech. its my favorite course and i personally am learning a lot. i am going to take me second year and graduate it then get a free credit in college!
SirDuncan
don't you feel frustrated, the best way to learn is googling and doing things by your self....

Dkn
ftyrster
umm microfost front page for html
ftyrster

......................................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................................................
Simulator
I want to do CS in Collage, but I'm not sure what I'm getting into. I have mastered the World of HTML, and CSS, and almost mastered PHP, but can't program jack software wise, maybe the Irish CS degree here are different, but do you do:
Computer Hardware
Computer Software
and some Physics or Chem?
Enderwiggin
Okay, I'll put this simply, if you know C#, then HTML wont give you a lick of trouble, its insanely easy, If you put your mind to it, you can do it in just a few hours.... Heres a little something I made a while back that you might find useful as a quick reference Razz

http://h1.ripway.com/enderwiggin/HTMLforYou.DOC
mschnell
CS at my school in the US seems to start mostly with programming in Java and developing math skills.
mogyoro
Hi Matt!

My first really useful program was made from taking ideas from a virus source code. Don't be scared, my program was fully user friendly but with this I would like to say that big ideas can grown out from analyzing other great quality solutions... Take the time and analyze much much source code... You will find what you are looking for...
toasterintheoven
I failed computer science, I went to a really hard curriculum which started with Java, but by the them we got to programming in C and lower level stuff, it was too tough for me, I got real depressed and stayed home a lot to smoke weed instead, those were good days though
Ghost Rider103
This thread is four years old.

I'm going to -close- this to avoid more replies to a user who hasn't been here since 2007.