FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Liquid Nitrogen

madsencarl
Liquid Nitrogen - a wonder of man.
So, post all you ideas to do with Liquid Nitrogen! (Pranks, science experiments, you choose!)

1. Dip a flower in the stuff. It crumbles in your fingers.
2. <censored, a bit too dangerous, not something to recommend to other people>
3. At night, freeze two aftershave cans in a bucket of Liquid Nitrogen. Hack the cans open (Once they're frozen!) and put them in an enclosed space (Reccomended: cars). By morning the car will be filled with the aftershave, which will be released when the door is opened.
4. Using the moethod in number (3), make yourself a deodorant stick. May be a tad cold, but.
PuNGS
Well, it is one of the fastests ways of colding a beer. Cool
Soulfire
I saw an awesome demonstration at a museum in which a man froze an apple and then shattered it.
psycosquirrel
My neighbor had some liquid nitrogen and we made banana-cicles. They were VERY hard though Laughing
Srs2388
cool..... i want some id do something stupid...
madsencarl
It's EXTREMELY cheap, because it's so easy to make. The expensive part is storing it. Search Liquid Nitrogen on [url]eBay.com[/url] for pricing.
Also, I'm not sure, but, in Australia, are there age restrictions for buying it?
nimbuscogitare
I read a tutorial a wile back on using liquid nirto to cool you computer very nice for extreem overclocking. Been dieing to try it out. also found some interesting things at http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/~ubws/nitrogen.html
photon
most prolly i will try freezing cotton in ln and see what happens
Code of Ruin
I read the craziest of ideas here that are funny but unpractical. I say chuck the stuff into your car. Make it run nice and fast.
lockwolf
nimbuscogitare wrote:
I read a tutorial a wile back on using liquid nirto to cool you computer very nice for extreem overclocking.

Yeah, Toms Hardware did that, overclocked a processor to 5 Ghz and kept the system temprature at a really low -195 Degrees Celcius.

You can read the article here http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/30/5_ghz_project/
summer-sensation
Soulfire wrote:
I saw an awesome demonstration at a museum in which a man froze an apple and then shattered it.

*Gasp* That's so neat!! They did a Chemistry thing with us with a rubber ducky. It froze and then fell to the ground. XD Heh, whoops.
gothicgeek
id probly pour some hot water in there to see what happens, might explode tho so i should prolly wear protective gear lol
gothicgeek
what would you do on your computer that you would need 5 ghz for lol
lockwolf
gothicgeek wrote:

Only the greatest game ever, PONG! but were going to take PONG to the next level by finally being able to play it on the HIGHEST SETTING with a record 500FPS speed!
42mart2
Think putting your arm in Liquid Nitrogen for 60 seconds and hit it against a table...It will crush into pieces. Haha, funny Laughing Twisted Evil
chargoyle
Sadly, most people don't have liquid nitrogen easily accessible to them and if they do, they're not old enough to goof off with it. But, dry ice is almost as good. You can use it to chill stuff, make sweet fog effects and also, if you're brave enough, to make stuff go boom. Laughing
gothicgeek
lockwolf wrote:
gothicgeek wrote:

Only the greatest game ever, PONG! but were going to take PONG to the next level by finally being able to play it on the HIGHEST SETTING with a record 500FPS speed!

The original PONG is freakin hard lol

and you'd still only need like half a gig to play at 500 FPS lol
madsencarl
gothicgeek wrote:
lockwolf wrote:
gothicgeek wrote:

The original PONG is freakin hard lol

and you'd still only need like half a gig to play at 500 FPS lol

No, you'd need a lot more. Take flash movies, for instance. The good ones run at about 24 fps, and run choppy on low quality with a 1.5ghz computer.
hofer
A nice thing to do is making a "bomb" of nitrogen:
1-Get a PET can
2-Put some drops os LN in it
3-Close it
4-Shake it
5-Throw it away
6-Boom

Its really nice, in my university there is a machine that produces LN, some students really like to play with it even knowing that its too dangerous, fortunatelly nobody got hurt, yet.
Da Rossa
By the way, would it be possible to get one of the new AMD X2 overclocked in these conditions, depending on the mainboard? I wonder how many "tera"flops would be reached, LoL
lockwolf
I though I was wrong when I thought that Toms hardware had overclocked a processor to the highest I think that it could go. There is a company that overclocked a processor to 7.22GHz! They are not 100% sure if it used Liquid Nitrogen but its highly implyed when overclocking to this fast.

You can read the article here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/display/20051302091459.html
Mithrandir
One of the coolest things to do with it is pour it on the ground and watch it not make it to the floor. Its creepy to see.
madsencarl
You can use it to clean your floor real quick - just pour it on the ground in a certain direction and it will pick up and pieces of dirt, no matter how small they are.
Ressurrector
I always wanted to freeze a rat in liquid nitrogen and bust him on the pavement. Would be cool.
hofer
madsencarl wrote:
You can use it to clean your floor real quick - just pour it on the ground in a certain direction and it will pick up and pieces of dirt, no matter how small they are.

Ive already done that before, thats very nice to see how the dirt get together and goes to the wall, aihauia.
Stealth
Dip a banana in liquid nitrogen for about 10 seconds then take it out, it then comes to a banana hammer! It sounds like metal if you bang it on another metal object. Don't tap to hard or it will break into pieces.
tricolor
boil water and put liquid nitrogen in it...it's a laugh and a half
Platform
Cooling, just about anything....nuclear cars, computers etc
Helios
Cooling my overclocked processor *drool*
mschnell
I heard that in college my uncle got his door tied to the one accross the hall one morning and missed an exam. He was pissed, so when he found out who had done it he got a toad, dipped it in liquid nitrogen, and then threw the toad into the person's room. (So it shattered and there were toad guts everywhere.)
Jack_Hammer
Having a 4 core computer (2 dual cores) have them each overclocked to about 8gz a core and have a 32ghz machine...

*droools more*
mceejaydee
Lol sounds fun!!
Vrythramax
lockwolf wrote:

I think your eyes would explode just trying to follow the game Smile
thiamshui
i don't think it is easy to purchase in my country.. it can be dangerous..
muffinman
I heard that putting little creatures (small fish) in it to freeze it, and then placing it in water will revive it (so it will still be alive). Is it true?
planet
I use it for making Icecream for my grandkids, nothing else is fast enough for them lill buggers! =))