FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hotmail and Outlook

DVNT
Hi all
Ok,not sure if this post is relevant to the category but thought that I would pick your brains for a bit.
Has anyone noticed that it is not possible to set up a new hotmail (free) account through Outlook express anymore?
Seems that we are now forced to subscribe if we want to use Outlook for hotmail(or any free email).
My old accounts still seem to work. (shhhh) Confused
Everytime I try to add a new account I get the following :

Could not connect to Hotmail as ******8@hotmail.com.

Hotmail no longer allows email access via Outlook Express for free email accounts.

Please visit http://www.hotmail.com/oe to learn more.

Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCF6

Anyone with the same problem?
Dvnt
Question
TheFaction
no i dont have that problem b/c i switched over from outlook and hotmail to gmail. just a much easier interface and u cant beat the constantly growing inbox.
Animal
If you previously used Outlook Express to access your homail account before they switched-over to the new system, you will still be allowed to use it to access your email. Any new accounts, or accounts you've never used Outlook Express to check before, require you to sign up for the paid-service. Microsoft say this is to reduce spam problems.

There are some mail plugins around that let you check Hotmail from Outlook (or it's equivalent) but I don't use Microsoft products for web and email.

If you were willing to switch, I believe Mozilla Thunderbird with the Webmail extension will allow you to use Hotmail / Yahoo / Lycos / Mail.com etc webmail addresses with Thunderbird.
dkill001
wow - i didnt know that...ms should not make you pay to check your email through outlook express...you can still connect through outlook though right?
headlong
I cannot apply for a new hotmail address and use it freely in my Outlook Express. I don't understand why Microsoft is trying to grab every cent from my pocket while google is providing an excellent email solution.
fayettemat
TheFaction wrote:
no i dont have that problem b/c i switched over from outlook and hotmail to gmail. just a much easier interface and u cant beat the constantly growing inbox.

i did the same thing and i used to have that problem, yes i still use my hotmail account but not as often now and i use Thunderbird on my Mac (also for Windows and Linux) to get my mail off the net for me
metalrappereu
Either scan the hotmail proxy to get the sockets etc. info for what you need for outlook express.

OR.

Ask hotmail staff, they gave it to me for free and they said they change it weekly.
Animal
dkill001 wrote:
wow - i didnt know that...ms should not make you pay to check your email through outlook express...you can still connect through outlook though right?

No, I don't think so - the move was an attempt to generate more revenue by making users pay for a Hotmail account upgrade, or to "lease" Outlook Live. Although the official line was to reduce spam.

Sure it is! Rolling Eyes
DVNT
Thanks all
Yeah it iseems that the old accounts still work with outlook....well until Mr.Gates needs a new car and changes that... but all new accounts cannot. The only thing that I don't understand is that I have had my 2nd hotmail account for nearly half a year and have only tried to add it recently. How are they stopping outlook from signing in if the account has existed for a while?
Aaaah well guess will have to switch from outlook to another. Good business move... Confused
SgtGarcia
You should really use gmail. It's better on all points. The GUI is really easu and effective. You get lots of space 2GB+ and no ads. Well, there are some text-based google ads. But you really don't notice them.
Animal
SgtGarcia wrote:
You should really use gmail. It's better on all points. The GUI is really easu and effective. You get lots of space 2GB+ and no ads. Well, there are some text-based google ads. But you really don't notice them.

In my personal opinion, Gmail is an excellent Webmail service - as you said, usability is second to none and it has a very clean GUI. However, it is not as versatile or convenient as using Mail Client software on your computer.

Mail Client software like Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Eudora etc. downloads all new emails to your computer automatically where you can read mail offline, compose emails offline (if you don't have an internet connection handy, or you use dial-up, this is a superb feature). It also allows you to check several email accounts in a matter of seconds, and it can automatically filter mail into the folders you like. This is far better than spending 20 mins+ on various different webmail services.

Another major advantage is the ability to automatically check for new email - my Mail Client does this every few minutes, so I don't need to keep manually checking a webmail interface to receive important emails promptly.

If you're interested, Gmail offers an excellent, free pop and smtp service, so you can use your Gmail account with Mail Client software - IMO, this is what sets Gmail apart from all other web-based email services. It's superb, free functionality that I would recommend to anyone.
abhinav_shah
I don't have any problem with accessing my hotmail account from Outlook.
mhpschool
This is a fairly common issue and Microsoft in its infinite wisdom has posted a fix to this issue on its site.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q220852

When in doubt go to the source to get the answer. I utilize the microsoft.com site at work all the time because most customers don't know what the 0x000abcd87 error codes mean. Write them down or copy and paste them into the search field at MS.com and you will 9 times out of 10 find the fix to the problem (especially with the buggy and unstable OE program.

Hope this helps.
Bones
Yes it is true, newer free hotmail accts cannot be accessed from Outlook.
Older accounts were 'grand-fathered in' so they can still use outlook.

I use MSN messenger so it's still quite easy to check my email, or you can got to www.hotmail.com, or put a shortcut to www.hotmail.com on your desktop, quick launch bar etc.
darthfalk
With the upcoming "Windows Live", it will be possible to "pop" your hotmail e-mails. Now it's in beta testing, but it will be a release feature.
Bones
Not sure what you mean by 'pop' your emails...if you mean a little indicator pops up to tell you that you have new mail...MSN messenger does that now, actually has always done it for as long as I can remember.
Animal
Bones wrote:
Not sure what you mean by 'pop' your emails...if you mean a little indicator pops up to tell you that you have new mail...MSN messenger does that now, actually has always done it for as long as I can remember.

"POP" is Post Office Protacol - it's the method that the likes of Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird use to receive emails.
Bones
Ahh POP3 ok now I know what he meant
By the way...not being able to link from outlink to hotmail has been that way since 2004. Apparently, it was done because people were using scripts from Outlook to generate spam email. At least that's the 'official' response.
Gaurish
btw,hotmail is not so good,u can try gmail
pm me for invite
Bones
Gaurish wrote:
btw,hotmail is not so good,u can try gmail
pm me for invite

I have both hotmail and gmail and I actually use hotmail more than gmail...mostly because if you read the eula from gmail it'll scare the crap outta you. Basically when you start a gmail account you are agreeing to let google spy on you, you are also agreeing that google has access to your email, and allowing google to store copies of all your email on it's server permanently, even after you have deleted it from your account.

As far as hotmail not being so good, well it sends email, and receives email, hrm seems to work pretty well to me (as does gmail) and since I am a Live Mail beta tester, I have 2G storage
Animal
Bones wrote:
...mostly because if you read the eula from gmail it'll scare the crap outta you. Basically when you start a gmail account you are agreeing to let google spy on you, you are also agreeing that google has access to your email, and allowing google to store copies of all your email on it's server permanently, even after you have deleted it from your account.

Erm... have you read the msn hotmail Privacy Policy and Terms of Use too? I think you'll find it's pretty similar.
steveadams617
If you have an account here, why not just get a cheap domain name and host your email with frihost? You could also just set up an account and use frihost.com or frih.net as your domain for free. Then you can use outlook or outlook express for your popmail and use squirrelmail to check your email when you are away from home on the web. Best of both worlds! Smile You can keep hotmail and check it every once in a while for old friends who might not have changed your address, yet.

If you need a tutorial, let me know and I'll write one up.
cheeta
outlook with hotmail was not working for me since 2004... but after LiveMail beta registration... i see it is giving me that access...

i dont think hotmail gives pop3 account free any more...
Arnie
Did you know you can make POP3 email boxes with your Frihost account, that also have webmail? The addresses will be whatever@yourname.frih.net. Just look at your DirectAdmin / cPanel. And on www.passport.net you can make that address work with MSN Messenger as well.
lukeropro
I never use outlook as much as I can help it...
kosovojesse
has anyone received this message:

Error Message: "Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x80040111"

i thought i merely needed to purchase hotmail's "plus" plan - which i did, but this didn't solve the problem, and neither did a volley of emails between myself and their support staff. so i'm stuck. any ideas?

OR

any ideas how i go about setting up a hotmail account on thunderbird? i downloaded and installed the extensions for WebMail 1.0.11 and WebMail-Hotmail 1.0.6, but when i try to add my hotmail account, no luck. under the WebMail Options tab, i went to "severs" and got my POP, SMTP, and IMAP ports enabled and running....

only thing left i can think of is where it says "Add WebMail to Account Wizard (Requires write access to application folder.)" - possibly my OS doesn't allow it? any thoughts?
pudovkin
Nice the HTTP Outlook workaround. Didn't knew about that.
Does the Live Beta registration enables the HTTP connection through Outlook or POP/SMTP? Or both?
cheeta
Arnie wrote:
Did you know you can make POP3 email boxes with your Frihost account, that also have webmail? The addresses will be whatever@yourname.frih.net. Just look at your DirectAdmin / cPanel. And on www.passport.net you can make that address work with MSN Messenger as well.

Coool info dude.... Smile didnt know that !!! thnx for the information...
billgertz
i dont use hotmail. its slow on my end. i was using it before with outlook express but its really really slow considering my internet connection.

as what others are saying, just use free emails that allows pop3 access like gmail from http://mail.google.com or inbox http://inbox.com or if you have a yahoo account, use it and download YPOPs http://www.ypopsemail.com/

thanks.