FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No D & D Topic!

Dekar
What's up with that? I mean, I know everyone in here plays some computer game or another, but no RPG's? I mean like Dungeons and Dragons, or Vampire? Who plays Dungeons and Dragons? And if you dont play D&D do you play some other RPG?
trickstott
I'm a big fan or 7th sea, but I have played quite a bit of D & D. If you want an unusual fantasy gaming experience, take a look at Gemini. I played it a few years back and had a blast with its system.
Dekar
I havent RP`ed in a LONG time, due to Hurricane Katrina, I am a good distance from my Roleplaying buddies. I am in the process of getting dsl at my house, so i can play via IRC or something like that. I would love to get Never Winter Nights.

Oh yeah, have you heard anything about Dungeons and Dragons online?
masterevil
i play FRP with my friends. I reccomend you drink Vodka while playing. Getting a little drunk makes FRP much more exciting.
Dekar
As a DM I think drinking more than a little, or anything else that inhibits consentration is not a good idea while role playing. Games get cut off in the middle.
ulruc
I play really often RPG games (but not as much since it's winter time Confused

I like really much AD&D (I know that I play an old based game since D&D is out). I like really much as well playing RPRPG games (Real Play Role Playing Games) where I play the hero for real. I fight orcs with a false sword and a metal armor made for that game.

Play a paladin pen and paper is good, But play a paladin for real is really great. Wear a tower shield, a big long sword and a full plate and I'm ready to kick some orcs and drows @ss!

Let's bring them as they will die faster!
Dekar
Yeah, I have always wanted to try live role playing, but I am kinda lazy. Does anyone use anything like IRC to RP? If not IRC than what is your favorite way to RP online (besides computer games like Ultima online, etc.)?
masterevil
are you talking about LARP? (live action role play)
We have a project about it but nothing's done so far.

But LARP sounds great. We were going to become vampires (not in middle earth Very Happy ) And get out of our houses only night (school doesnt count Very Happy ) we will have a situation to solve. That would be great.
ulruc
It's LARP in english? I didn't knew it. I only know the real name of it in french and I've tried to translate it myself in english.

I have played a lot of vampire games in real life. We ask a bar to play on a night where they got almost no customers, then we play ourself our own vampires.

We try to manipulate the humans and to beat the hell out of our ennemies without breakning the laws of the Masquerade (since we were playing at the side of the Camarilla at that time).

Really great experience. I'm almost in love with this game since then. Every winter, I try to get some friends and to lauch a new game. But this year, it didn't go as planned as almost no players came to the first 3 nights.

I stopped the experience after that. Better luck next year maybe. Nobody knows who may comes!
Dekar
Yeah, sounds fun, but I am Lazy! The only acting I like to do is basic, Thats why I like D&D, Plus I prefer the mideval themes and characters.
Scaramanga
Man, no GURPS love?!?

I haven't played D&D since 2E, although a few people have been really talking up 3.5 and d20. I have to say, I really love the idea behind d20, but it's been a looooong time in coming.
Sappho
I did play RPGs quite a lot, started with Draci Doupe which was kind of Czech not so developed version of D&D, later we discovered AD&D and then all the others like Shadowrun and Vampires (both vesions, Dark Ages one was better). I dont play much nowadays thou, not that i hate it after 8 years of playing but problem is everyone is working and not enough free time anymore. Sad

PS.: By far the best was AD&D 2nd Edition.
ulruc
Sappho wrote:

I agree with you totally on that point. AD&D were the best version because we were free to create a lot of rules easily. In the third version (and all those who came after), too much "made by players" rules came up, meaning that I were not free anymore to do things like I wanted to do them.

And since I have spent probably near 500$ (canadian $, meaning maybe around 300 US$, not sure on that point), I never really wanted to see that I had wasted my money.

So, I sticked wy AD&D and I don't regret my choice, even with all the games (NWN for example) that came up from time to time and use the last sets of rules.
Dekar
I only played 2nd once, and 3.5 a bunch of times. I think 3rd is easier to use the rules, you don't have to roll as much if you are smart, you can BS most of the game, allowing the players to do what you want.
Zuwiki
Topic is kind of dead, but I saw you ask about playing D&D online? Try OpenRPG. It's a table-top simulater a bit like WebRPG, but free. There is usually not many people on, but if you tell more people about it, there may be in the future. I've been trying to play some form of D20 Modern unsuccessfully for a while now, but my hopes are high Wink lol. You should really try it out!
Dekar
Yeah, I have been busy with school and work, not to mention working on a Hack of Earthbound (check it out, not my hack but the tools-- pkhack.fobby.net) Anyway, thanks for that, I have been interested in purchasing webrpg, but to lazy and cheap. Do you play on there? If I can find some people to play I will definatly take the time out, I love D&D.
Scaramanga
ulruc wrote:
Sappho wrote:

I agree with you totally on that point. AD&D were the best version because we were free to create a lot of rules easily. In the third version (and all those who came after), too much "made by players" rules came up, meaning that I were not free anymore to do things like I wanted to do them.

I'm not sure I understand; with the new d20 rules you can make up ANY rules you want. Open source gaming is one of the best ideas to come out of the RPG world in a long time.