FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer vs. Brain

What is smarter?
Computer
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Brain
86%
 86%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 29

DizzyThermal
Hey, a lot of people question this and I decided that I wanna hear some chatter about this Smile

What is Greater the Computer or the Brain

Look at this:

Computer: Never wrong in calculations.

Brain: Made computer, but makes mistakes.
madsencarl
What do you mean by [i/]smarter[/i]? The question is not nearly in-depth enough.
A computer can do many problems that a brain can't do, bu at the same time, a brain can do many equations a computer can't.
A computer has the power factor, a brain has the sense factor.
Close this topic, revise your question, and start a new one with the revised question included.
LandShark
the computer is only as smart as the person who programmed it. Humans, if they felt like always checking over their calculations they could easily be right 99.99% of the time. Also computers cant do all mathamatical problems. Thats why people still do math =)
Bondings
The human brain is a biological neural network while a computer is just a calculator.

If you want to compare a human brain with a computer, you need to compare a neural network similated by a computer, not just the calculator. And in this case the human brain wins by far as current mechanical neural networks are comparable with the brain of a fly.
madsencarl
LandShark wrote:
the computer is only as smart as the person who programmed it.

Wrong. I'd like to see a human find the 41st Mersenne Prime. It would make my day. Unless something better happened, which is highly probable.
Sappho
madsencarl wrote:
LandShark wrote:
the computer is only as smart as the person who programmed it.

Wrong. I'd like to see a human find the 41st Mersenne Prime. It would make my day. Unless something better happened, which is highly probable.

But it was the human who made up the algorithm, computer just calculated it.

BTW 43rd is the last discovered Mersenne Prime Wink
Sappho
Bondings wrote:
The human brain is a biological neural network while a computer is just a calculator.

If you want to compare a human brain with a computer, you need to compare a neural network similated by a computer, not just the calculator. And in this case the human brain wins by far as current mechanical neural networks are comparable with the brain of a fly.

I've read that they are at the level of 5 year old kid so far, but who know i think it needs more knowledge, not even mathematical but solid understanding of human brain so we can "emulate" it better. Wink
Bondings
Sappho wrote:

Maybe, but computers are also able to make up/find algorithms, sometimes even better than humans.
SunburnedCactus
Neural networking quantum computers are the future! Moderately disturbing, but there is plenty of work to be done before they approach human standards at least.
KungFuChris
Bondings wrote:
Sappho wrote:

Maybe, but computers are also able to make up/find algorithms, sometimes even better than humans.

Computers use brute force techniques at high speeds. A human could come up with these algorithms, however a computer can do it much (much!) faster. This does not make it smarter, though.
LandShark
at the 41st thing. Who invented it? the human.
madsencarl
LandShark wrote:
at the 41st thing. Who invented it? the human.

Just because humans invented Mersenne Primes, doesn't mean they can solve them (We can, to an extent). That's where a computer comes in.
Bondings
KungFuChris wrote:
Computers use brute force techniques at high speeds. A human could come up with these algorithms, however a computer can do it much (much!) faster. This does not make it smarter, though.

I am talking about AI techniques, those are definately not called brute force techniques and can yield amazing results very quickly. They are, however, still in a very early stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_algorithm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_computation
DizzyThermal
Exactly, the Computer is only as smart as the Brain is but can do work Thousands of times faster than the Human Let alone the Brain can.

The Computer works much faster and only does what humans tell it to do

sooo if you were to say

1+1=3

It would remember it as that.

But it can do it much faster than a human

100+193+483+3845+28=4649

I used a computer for that Razz

Only if the computer is scripted with 100% accuarcy is it as smart.

Who believes that?
nimbuscogitare
try telling a computer to invent something some time. it doesnt work to well. dont forget the computing power that exists in our subconsious, we get hunches for a reason. computers sometimes seem 'smarter' because they have increadibly specific tasks to preform. We handle far more input and preform far more output. the fly brain comment is right but also notice how big your computer is and how small the fly's brain must be. no contest there.
MalvagioAddict
hte definitive answer would have to be the brain, and the answers previously on the board has addressed that fact. Yes computers is much faster at doing something than a human brain, but then again it was so because the brain has programmed it so. so it wouldn't not be that way if it wasn't for the brain who created and programmed it.

it's like bill gates and microsoft, would you rather be bill gates or microsoft? bill gates is microsoft hence the brain is the computer.
windval
our brain makes the computer

they will never smarter than us
Slammer
currently i dont think you can say which is 'smarter' per say. Yes computers are faster than us at doing calculations, but we still have the edge. Conciousness, onces computers become concious, then i think the real competition will began Twisted Evil
Jack_Hammer
Bondings wrote:
Sappho wrote:

They find them a lot better once they know what they are looking for otheriwse they start to make corralations between two random occurances.
avk
I think the brain is much more smarter than the computer

However if the computer tries to smart we can surely format it or take off the Plug :D 8)
Reaper
The brain wins hand down, but computers would probably be a close second. But whos to say maby someone will accsidently create an artificial intelligence that can think, act and make decisions of its own accord one day.
Sappho
Reaper wrote:
The brain wins hand down, but computers would probably be a close second. But whos to say maby someone will accsidently create an artificial intelligence that can think, act and make decisions of its own accord one day.

I dont think it will be accidentaly, maybe in a Hollywood movie Smile Its possible even now, i mean the idea and structure, problem is with complexity, no current computers are capable of computing such a parallel complex structure as some of the more complicated AN Networks are. But who knows. Smile
Vrythramax
The brain is most definatly smarter than any computer....if it were not for the brain the computer wouldn't exist.

Sure a computer can do complex math all day long and much faster and more accurate than the brain....but can it create anything on it's own without being told by a human?

When you boil a puter down to it's bare bones it only understands 2 things...zeroes and ones (binary), on or off, yes or no. The brain can create things beyond it's own logic.

Show me a computer that can paint the Sistine (yes I know I misspelled it) Chapel without being told how and I'll change my vote.
LeviticusMky
Let's think about this question.

A human brain is very extensive in terms of complexity, the mose complex neural net on the planet.

A desktop computer, with the right software, has about the processing power of a newt.

How long did it take the human brain to evolve? 12 million years give or take?

And the Computer? 50 years?

The computer is a result of real intelligent design. As such, it will only be a couple of decades before computers are massively more intelligent that human brains.

It's only a matter of time.
Kaisonic
Dude. Seriously. How can something that the brain created be smarter than the brain? That's just physically possible. It's just not. That's why all those movies where the computers become smarter than humans are in the genre of science-fiction. Fiction. Fake. Unreal. Never gonna happen. Stuff like that. So...yeah!
Reaper
so kaisonic if what your saying is true, then were stupider from our earlier evolutions of human?
Also back then there are alot of things that were fiction back then but are a reality now days so dont be so ignorate in thinking we will always be the most smartest things alive in the world.
Soulfire
While a computer may be able to copy your name 100 times within a split second, it takes your brain to program it.
Sappho
Kaisonic wrote:
Dude. Seriously. How can something that the brain created be smarter than the brain?

Actually answer to this question is pretty easy, couse there are limitations to the brain itself in many factors, but yet there is no limitation in what the brain can create, what we can come up with. So it will be not surprising that we will create something that will surpass us, its even logical.
djared90
Right now, as it is today, the human brain is definitely "smarter" than the computer. How are we supposed to create something smarter than us when we don't even fully understand how our own brains work? "Process" right now with computers deals with cramming more and more components onto a microchip, and computers can't learn - they have to be programmed to do everything they do. They certainly are faster than us, but only in doing what we have programmed them to do.

Perhaps some time in the future we will discover exactly how our brains work, and then we will build computers modeled on them. And then perhaps we will even try to find some way to improve on the design, and then they could surpass us. But I don't see that coming for quite a while.
Rocky3478
The human brain is more flexible and creative then any computer....
Marston
I'll sum up my many thoughts about computers and brains here:

Computers Pwn Life
gothicgeek
A computer is simply a tool. It has the intelligence of a shovel unless you beat the shovel into a reasonable facsimilie of the brain. Is that how you spell facsimilie? Oh well.
DizzyThermal
Alright, have you watched AI?

(Artificial Intelligence)

Or

I-Robot?

It shows robots that are made...

I feel soon maybe in the next 40-60 years we will develop some type of Artificial Intelligence...

ASIMO...

http://asimo.honda.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

Perfect example.

Just wait, it will get more advanced.

Just think... They may get a mind of their own and take things into their own hands... They may, through code, find away to take control of their learning and take it to "the next level" and invent...

You never know...

Just wait a couple decades...

You will be amazed.
MalvagioAddict
I can't quite grasp that two people voted that computers are supposed to be smarter than the human brain.

yeah, well of course an a.i. is good and all but then you'd have to go back to the actual people who's going to program that computer to have a mind of its own. it can have it's own intelligence when it wasn't programmed to have it anyways.
helk
I think when things go nanotech in a big way, ai's will be re-arranging their code AND chips by themselves. But then... that's like matrix Laughing