FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old DOS/Win3.1 games, are they playable now?

DRock
Hey

I'm having problems trying to get some of my old PC games working. I'm a big fan of the old school games (dos and win3.1) and was wondering if there is anyway of running them on my p4 computer? I know there are programs out tehre like dosbox which does great, but it sometimes can get a little annoying to configure.

Now, the weird thing is, I still have my original dos 6.2 and win3.1 disk around, is there a way of reloading these two os's again without the games running so fast that you can't play them at all?

Thanks
Monkeydog
WINXP doesn't support DOS games or WIN3.1 games.
slgn
WHY NOT? what game u try run?
Zacku
Who would wanna play old games in any case?
I dont think its right to play old games !!
new games are cool and more fun, dont u think so.
PLAY NEW GAMES,Gta rules
masterevil
it SUPPORTS dos games. i have sp1 and i can play Laughing

If your game is too old, download DosBox emulator. That'll help you.
If not, make a shortcut of the game into the desktop. right-click it and select "properties". A menu will appear. Look at the top of it. Three menus are there "general" "shortcut" and the other one. I'm not using english windows and cannot translate it. Anyway, select the other one.

Use that menu to re-configure your game. You can select win95 or win98 mode, mostly works.

But remember to select run with 256 colors. If it still dont work, select 640*480 resolution. Use combinations of them and one will work.

It doesnt support all games though. I couldnt play carmageddon1 in xp, so i installed win98 Laughing
LordSata
yes, it SUPPORT the old games... you must crete a shoutcourt for the .exe that you click for the execution of the game.... and set the proprietes (like the memory, video and other.... NB: the environment MUST BE set to win95 )... and play.... in these day i'm play to Monkey Island 2 :DDD
DRock
Well, I was hoping for full dos to be installed. Is there a free vm manager out there yet?

The games i'm trying to run, Hugo, Overkill, HocusPocus, etc.