FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AIM Mail

How much do you like it?
I'll ONLY be using this!!! Forget gmail!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
This is pretty cool.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
I'll use this to IM offline buddies.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
This sucks.
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

jebdm09
AOL has just opened a free mail service for everyone who uses AIM. If you use AOL's Instant Messaging service, you should have recieved an email about it. Your email is screenname@aim.com. Here's the list of features I got:

AIM Mail lets you...

# Clone yourself, in a good way

You only have to log in once to access both your AIM Mail and your IM.

# Hoard for sentimental reasons

Your AIM Mail has 2GBs of storage. Save anything and everything that matters.

# Exude that confident glow

We've got you covered with industry-leading spam and anti-virus protection.

# Be spontaneous

If an email sender is available on IM, you can reply with either IM or AIM Mail.

# Preserve important relationships

Have second thoughts about that email you just sent to an AOL or AIM address? Then unsend it - unless it's been opened, in which case you're on your own.

# Secretly indulge in obsessive behavior

Check to see if an email you've sent has been read by its recipient. Check again. And again. Sometimes this is very useful. Sometimes it's dangerous.

Plus it has a nice interface. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a banner ad smack dab in the middle...

Now Gmail may have a rival...
noliver
Hmm, I am afraid that whenver I see the word AOL that I want to puke.

Killl it !

Wink
Rsam
Hurray! We now have another choice in a very flooded market...

And this time we get it provided from a company notorious for poor ISP service and a history of spyware tendencies in their software(or so i've heard).

I'll stick to my Gmail, can anyone post a screenshot of AIMail?
babumuchhala
Well as soon as i got the news day before yesrterday i signed up for it as an avid internet user.

The first usage impression is CR@P and it $UCK$ big time.

Yahoo feels much better than it and Gmail is just ages ahead of it.

Frankly speaking why would someone use such cr@p service when u got Gmail.
jebdm09
Not saying I love it or anything, but I do like its interface. I'm pretty much gonna be using it if I want to IM somebody that isn't online right now, because I'm sure they'll get it (some people have a tendency not to check email much).

Quote:
And this time we get it provided from a company notorious for poor ISP service and a history of spyware tendencies in their software(or so i've heard).

Yeah, their ISP sucks, their browser sucks, but you won't get spyware for a website unless you're stupid (you deserve it), they exploit some kind of bug (I doubt a major corporation would do this), or you download something (you don't have to).

Quote:
The first usage impression is CR@P and it $UCK$ big time.

Yahoo feels much better than it and Gmail is just ages ahead of it.

Frankly speaking why would someone use such cr@p service when u got Gmail.

Gmail is better. I'm not disagreeing. But it really isn't that bad. I kinda like their user interface. And some of their features are interesting. This is actually something I've been wondering for a while, if AOL would integrate some kind of email into their messanger so that you could IM people when they were offline. I'm guessing that in the future, you will be able to directly IM somebody and it turn into an email.

Quote:
Hmm, I am afraid that whenver I see the word AOL that I want to puke.

Killl it !

Wink

Haha, I'm not an AOL fan, either. But I do like to give everything a try, just in case. (Think now, maybe you can use that AIM account for storage once your Gmail account fills up). Plus, some people might have trouble getting a Gmail account, don't know about it, or just want a "fake" account for signups and stuff.
jebdm09
Quote:
I'll stick to my Gmail, can anyone post a screenshot of AIMail?

Here they go...

The address book
About the same functionality as Gmail, just a different interface.

Compose mailGmail is better. You can't send "rich" email if you dont use IE (blech) yet, but I'm sure they'll fix it. In the mean time use the cuneAform editor extension for Firefox, or just write html.

InboxAbout the same. Folders vs "labels" and stars. No "Archive" button, though. It could be a good thing (forces you to actually sort your stuff) or a bad thing (forces you to actually sort your stuff).

Recieved messagePretty much the same.

Sent messageAIM wins this one. I like the idea of unsending. It only works if you sent it to somebody @aim.com or @aol.com, though.

I think I'm gonna write a detailed comparison of Gmail, AIM Mail, and (maybe) Yahoo! Mail sometime in the near future.

P.S. All you biased people- don't hate on AOL. I know their browser, ISP, etc, etc all sucks, but they did a fair job on this one.
alexmcavoy@gmail.com
I have looked into this too. I don't really like anything AOL in general. Speaking of which... what other instant messaging programs are available?