FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux Problems

rohan2kool
I use the advx server with Mandrake Linux 10.1 [it's apache]. I'm having problems with it recently:

1. The files i need to edit are located in /var/www/html, but i don't have the 'owner' permissions. I have to go to the control panel everytime for each and every folder within /var and so on... I know the 'root' password and am a member of the 'root' group. How do i gain permissions on ALL the folders/files within '/'. I don't care for security. My comp ain't on a network and i am the only user of it.

2. I use mysql_connect() function to connect to the MySQL server. Whenver i do so, the following error is returned:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() at line#3

whereas, phpMyAdmin works just fine. Please help.
BlackSkad
I'm not a linux-pro, but I do know a little about it. So i do not guarantee that these ways are completely save Very Happy
To execute a single command as root-user, use the command sudo

For your first answer:
  • Login as root, instead of normal user, at the start-up.
  • Login normally and then change to root-user with the su-command
  • change the owner of the files in /var/www/html/ with the command chown (possibily not completely save, could make some problems)
  • Make the /var/www/html/ a sympbolic link to a folder in your home-folder where you have all permissions

Judging on the error you get, I would say you didn't install the mysql-extension for php. But as you say phpMyAdmin runs fine, I have no idea what the problem could be...

Greatz,
BlackSkad

ps: For more information about linux commands, search on google with the words: "Linux Commands <commandname>"
SirDuncan
1. to give all permisions in a folder (and subfolders/files) login as root and:
# chmod 777 /route/to/folder -R

2. is so rare that phpMyAdmin works fine and a script that use mysql_connect() not works.....
can you post your code ?