FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


linux servers





wilsond
hi all

where would be the best place to go for how to setup and run linux servers for first time users and for dummies like me i have always wanted to setup and run a linux server but don't have a clue how to do it or how to use the server side of linux if anybody can help i would very greatful


thanks wilsond
DRock
Well, it depends on which type of server you want to run. Apache (for web based serving) would be http://www.apachefreaks.com/ .

Personally, for a linux server, I recommend Debian net install, and when the base files are done it will ask you to choose what type of install you want. Choose server, so you get a no gui install and do it all from command prompt.
wilsond
the thing is i don't know how to do all the comand prompt stuff or how to do little programs on them like for instants how to set it up so i can use it in my home or in an office to setit up for other computers to use the internet and as a print server and a web hosting server
djclue917
What distro are you planning to use?
wilsond
the distro i was thinking of using is redhat mandrake 10.1
djclue917
Um, is there really a RedHat Mandrake 10.1?? I really haven't heard anything about that before...

Anyways, I forgot to ask another question in my previous post... What kind of server are you actually referring to? Web server? FTP server? etc...

A LAMP (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP/Per/Python)setup perhaps?

I hope you could provide that info. Smile
wilsond
i am hoping to setup a file sharing and internet sharing server with either mandrake 10.1 or linux 9
vinx_18
try this out http://help.ubuntu.com/quicktour/C/quicktour.html
that's ubuntu.....it's user friendly, easy to install...
djclue917
wilsond wrote:
i am hoping to setup a file sharing and internet sharing server with either mandrake 10.1 or linux 9


File sharing - FTP right?
What do you mean by "internet sharing"? Sharing a net connection?

Actually, I'm not that familiar in setting-up an FTP server because I never actually use one.. You could search the net for that. Just Google. Smile

Anyways, if you are planning to share an Internet connection, I would recommend two (plus one) apps to be able to do that...

If you use Mandrake 10.1, you could use GuardDog (firewall) and GuideDog (routing/network config utility). However, I had problems with the firewall... So I just uninstalled the two and just installed (back again) Firestarter.

Firestarter is a GTK app so it's basically native to GNOME. However, you could actually run GTK apps in KDE and Qt apps in GNOME. So I'll just say "use Firestarter". It's a firewall and a routing/network config utility in one great app.
The firewall is very easy to use and so is the NAT, port-forwarding, and other router features.

Hope that helps... Smile
DRock
The thing is, everything you want to do, Ubuntu already has a tutorial for. Just search through the HowTo forum over at http://www.ubuntuforums.org

Personally, I have Ubuntu server running on an old K400mhz, 64mb ram text mode only. I'm running an FTP server, Web server (just for personal use, testing pages before I upload them) and file sharing (samba, so I can access files from Windows)
wilsond
DRock wrote:
The thing is, everything you want to do, Ubuntu already has a tutorial for. Just search through the HowTo forum over at http://www.ubuntuforums.org

Personally, I have Ubuntu server running on an old K400mhz, 64mb ram text mode only. I'm running an FTP server, Web server (just for personal use, testing pages before I upload them) and file sharing (samba, so I can access files from Windows)


this is more the type of thing that i am going to try and do samba and the server in text mode if possible but if you can setup a server with graphics for a server i might just use graphics
Cridiron
When I set up a linux server, I used Fedora Core 4, it was pretty good.
djclue917
wilsond wrote:

Personally, I have Ubuntu server running on an old K400mhz, 64mb ram text mode only. I'm running an FTP server, Web server (just for personal use, testing pages before I upload them) and file sharing (samba, so I can access files from Windows)

this is more the type of thing that i am going to try and do samba and the server in text mode if possible but if you can setup a server with graphics for a server i might just use graphics


I am not really sure if there is a Front-end for Apache or Samba...

However, there's a KControl (KDE) module for configuring Samba.
ocalhoun
I suggest the book "Linux for Dummies"
It'll tell you all you need to get started, and includes an install disk for the fedora project.
SirDuncan
wilsond wrote:
i am hoping to setup a file sharing and internet sharing server with either mandrake 10.1 or linux 9


I think you are a little confused. I suggest you to googling a little for some info about Internet services, protocols (www,mail,ftp) so you can learn which service you want in your server.

For starting with linux I recommend Knoppix. You don't need install nothing, just downlad the image, burn the cd, boot your machine and you'll have a ready to use linux pc with de services installed.
Animal
SirDuncan wrote:
I think you are a little confused. I suggest you to googling a little for some info about Internet services, protocols (www,mail,ftp) so you can learn which service you want in your server.


Fancy going with your own advice? Why can you not set up file-sharing (folder sharing) and internet connection sharing with Linux? Oh wait... you can!

SirDuncan wrote:
For starting with linux I recommend Knoppix. You don't need install nothing, just downlad the image, burn the cd, boot your machine and you'll have a ready to use linux pc with de services installed.


An excellent suggestion... only a live Linux distro isn't much good for filesharing since you're limited to the contents of the CD (that you can't write to) and the contents of ram. What wilsond wants to do is fully possible - he just needs a bit of advice on it and so do you apparently. While an attempt to help is welcome, when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about with regard to Internet Services, Protocols and Linux, there's really no point in posting "advice" about it.
wilsond
thanks animal

you have it the nail on the head if like you said it can be done what i want to do just need a bit of advice then is there anybody out there with a little bit of help and advice that i could possibly use please

thanks wilsond
DRock
wilsond wrote:
thanks animal

you have it the nail on the head if like you said it can be done what i want to do just need a bit of advice then is there anybody out there with a little bit of help and advice that i could possibly use please

thanks wilsond



Well, what do you need to know exactly?
SirDuncan
Animal wrote:
SirDuncan wrote:
I think you are a little confused. I suggest you to googling a little for some info about Internet services, protocols (www,mail,ftp) so you can learn which service you want in your server.


Fancy going with your own advice? Why can you not set up file-sharing (folder sharing) and internet connection sharing with Linux? Oh wait... you can!

SirDuncan wrote:
For starting with linux I recommend Knoppix. You don't need install nothing, just downlad the image, burn the cd, boot your machine and you'll have a ready to use linux pc with de services installed.


An excellent suggestion... only a live Linux distro isn't much good for filesharing since you're limited to the contents of the CD (that you can't write to) and the contents of ram. What wilsond wants to do is fully possible - he just needs a bit of advice on it and so do you apparently. While an attempt to help is welcome, when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about with regard to Internet Services, Protocols and Linux, there's really no point in posting "advice" about it.




I only tried to help
crdowner
wilsond, I think everyone is asking you to provide some detail as to what you want to accomplish. Do you want to install Linux for file sharing? Do you want to use Linux for ftp, firewall, mail, http, etc.? Even if you do not know the specific "services" who are looking for, just tell us what you want to accomplish.
wilsond
crdowner wrote:
wilsond, I think everyone is asking you to provide some detail as to what you want to accomplish. Do you want to install Linux for file sharing? Do you want to use Linux for ftp, firewall, mail, http, etc.? Even if you do not know the specific "services" who are looking for, just tell us what you want to accomplish.



thanks what i am trying to accomplish is this down to the tee i want a pc with linux on it graphical or text but preferably graphics so that i can use it for sharing internet connection with three or more windows xp pc's. i also want it to be able to share and store files on it like for intance software drives for my pc's and finally i want to be able to share my printers on the network.


thats about as much as i really want it for

wilsond
SirDuncan
for file and printer sharing, you need to setup Samba and for internet sharing you need set up Iptables for NAT.

on the web you will find a lot of howtos and tutorials about it. Here some examples:

Samba:
http://www.math.temple.edu/computing/samba.html
http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/samba.htm

NAT (Iptables):
http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/presentations/20010417/nat/NAT-HOWTO.html


hope this helps
wilsond
thanks for the information sir duncan

would any of this info or software work ok on a graphical version of a linux server


thanks wilsond
wilsond
does anybody know how to setup the ubuntu have downloaded the disc from the site and it will not bootup from the cd

thanks wilsond
SirDuncan
I don't know any samba or iptables graphics version. Samba is a service that run like a "daemon" process. Iptables is a service that works filtering the packets at kernel level, doesn't exists "Graphical iptables".

There is a web based tool that allows configure the samba service, this is Swat, this can helps you. For iptables there is some graphical rules generators but I never work with that.
DRock
wilsond wrote:
does anybody know how to setup the ubuntu have downloaded the disc from the site and it will not bootup from the cd

thanks wilsond


You burned the CD as an image, not as a datacd, right?

If you put it in your Windows machine, it should come up in autorun as The Open CD (or, something like that).

If that happens, then it's your computer booting from HD before CD, in which case you will have to modify your bios to boot from Floppy---CD---HD
bboy_nycb
With debian and the command-line program apt-get , you can get and easily install a LAMP configuration.
I wrote apt-get install phpmyadmin and it will install all the softwares needed.
Dino
Install debian or red hat, thats two distros are the best choice for servers, esspecialy if you have red hat with red hat licence, and their support
wilsond
thanks for all your help

i guess that i will stick with red hat and try to setup a server with that

thanks wilsond
Related topics
Novell acquires Linux security company
CHMOD Tutorial
Can FRIHOST Add jsp support?
FTP Program of choice
Extensions Supported
Which script is good to learn?
Linux Anti-virus
The Definative Web Hosting Guide
I Need distributed Operating System
Has anyone gotten Comersus to work?
Linux v Windows web servers...
A Computer Virus on Linux (informed discussions only please)
Are Linux OS necessarily free from virus?
Hack to fix when MySQL crashes on Linux servers
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.