FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wonders of the world

April_May
Just some thoughts that i'm pondering on this late sunday night/ early monday morning.

Popcorn..
What ARE popcorn seeds? Are they just corn seeds dried out? Why do they pop? Can we heat any other form of seed and create something on the verge of popcorn yummyness?

Age...
Why are humans so different from other animals? Why do we have different stages and survive longer then other mamals.

Dragons...
Why have there been storys of dragons and other mystical creatures similar to other folk law in different countries and continants? Even long before anyone came in contact of other nationalities. And we have been told that they are just mythic.
SunburnedCactus
The first one is fairly straightforward. Popcorn is just corn as you say, but it is not dried out as it is the moisture inside that causes it to pop! Basically the starch expands into thin bubbles which fuse together and solidify, creating the fluffy shape.

Cool

The other two questions are much much much bigger topics.
Vrythramax
You want dragons you got 'em! My nick is the name of the first Dragon created by wizards. I am a Goth by choice and a Celt by birth, so you see dragon lore has played a major part of mine and my families history.

I will be posting a dragon related site later today, mostly just images, but alot you may never have seen. Let me know if your interested and I'll send the URL.

"Dragons by nature are not harmful, they can be mean, brutal, and loving as well. It's not until man comes messing around with them that all hell breaks lose....The moral to this tale: If you should happen across a dragon, leave it the hell alone or you'll more than likley end up being eaten"

Good Luck and Best Wishes!!
MalvagioAddict
Okay since the two already answered dragons and popcorn I'll try to answer the second one. though I admit that I'm no expert this is just the way that I'd probably look at it...

Every animal, including humans, have different lifespans and that is solely because that's what they need in order to have to experienced a lifetime. when it comes to dogs for examples, an dog in human years would actually be *7 or so in dog years. they tend to grow and develop in a much faster pace than actual humans..

Just be thankful that we don't have a lifespan like that of a mosquito, three days is far too short the way I see it.
madsencarl
Vrythramax wrote:
My nick is the name of the first Dragon created by wizards. I am a Goth by choice and a Celt by birth, so you see dragon lore has played a major part of mine and my families history.

What? In English, for the rest of us thanks? Because, not everyone has been obsessed with Dragons since they were born.
joshman
I'll offer a different theory on dragons that doesn't involve wizards...

My guess is that fossils and dinosaur bones may have inspired many tales about mythical creatures, dragons included. In an age of little information, a huge dragon-like creature would be the most believable cause for giant lizard-like bones, much like the cyclops myths are thought to have originated from elephant skulls.
DizzyThermal
Yeah, I still don't get what popcorn is, I think that's a pretty good thing to think about, seriously...

What is a popcorn seed?

Oh! Maybe a fried piece of corn?
lordcody
Dude Vrythramax is not a celtic dragon. it isnt ven the name of a dragon. if you dont believe me google it.

Vrythramax wrote:
My nick is the name of the first Dragon created by wizards.

and dude are you actually being serious about dragons? because they dont exist. and that little description about dragons is from The book Sword of the Shannarah. Inceidently the mage who said that killed a whole brood of baby dragons and was then mauled to death by the enraged mother.
Vrythramax wrote:
"Dragons by nature are not harmful, they can be mean, brutal, and loving as well. It's not until man comes messing around with them that all hell breaks lose....The moral to this tale: If you should happen across a dragon, leave it the hell alone or you'll more than likley end up being eaten"

case and point= your whole post is BS
Soulfire
lordcody wrote:
and dude are you actually being serious about dragons? because they dont exist.

That's disputed. If I ever find the source again (this was awhile back) I'll have to give it to you. I believe it was on some news network or something. Anyways, some scientists say that there could've been animals that breathed fire in the past.

The basic mechanism was that their body produced a gas inside their stomach, and when they would burp, the gas would pass some sort of gland (not sure exactly what they said) and ignite.

I know it's vague, but could be plausible if you take a professional approach to it and not dismiss it as a fantasy or something.
Zelda Night
Dragons are myths i not believe in them
nimbuscogitare
got something else for you. if you look at the astronomy/astrology of different and aparently unrelated civilizations. they all saw the simmulare constilations in they night sky's. For example orien is a hunter in the chinese, native american, europe, even tribes of africa folklore.

as for the age thing, got another interesting little tid bit. as far as I have noticed almost all creatures on earth have the same average number of heart beats in thier life times. humans-slow heart beat long life, fly fast heart beat- short lifespan. it even breaks down that way within the human race. if you are out of shape your heart will beat more rapidly when you are doing normal activity, and you tend to die sooner; even if you get back into shape.

if you like wondering, try searching for imponderables.

--take it all in before you tear it all down.
boocherry
Why cant banana be a color?
trolleron
dragons did exist though not in the way you would imagine. whether you believe in the bible or not Job chapter 41 mentions alot about a creature called a Leviathan it states that His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out. Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes. His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth. no one knows for sure what happend to dinosaurs so whose to say they a few didn't show up through out history in diffrent parts of the world read job 41 you may be suprised also google dinosaurs in the bible there are several sights that will help
trolleron
animals that breed more have shorter life spans its natures way of keeping the population down
PatTheGreat42
There was an accident with a children's book and a time machine.
raine dragon
Age...
Most animals have the same stages that humans have, some have even more. As far as how long we live goes, well, there are a fair number of animals that outlive us. On the other hand, many of our advances in science, medicine and technology has lengthened our lives. In Medieval Britain the life expectancy of a human was only 20-30 years.

Dragons..
Bones. Big, strange, monster bones. If you found a bone or a fossilized egg so large that it couldn't possibly belong to any sort of living creature you had ever seen, wouldn't you try to imagine what it belonged to ?At one point, the Chinese thought dinosaur bones came from dragons and ground them up for magical and medicinal purposes.
Thumpercats
Popcorn is awesome! I eat it just about everyday! lol