FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Open source

Do you prefer open source or paid solutions?
Paid solution
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Open source solution
82%
 82%  [ 33 ]
I've not tested open source
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I am tryring to migrate into open source
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 40

sanstitre1
Hello,
Let's talk about open source
Do you prefer open source or paid prog??
Have you ever participated on developping open source progs/projects

Or let's list open source alternatives for paid solution

microsoft office --> open office
photoshop-->Gimp
Iexplorer-->Firefox

... enjoy Cool
(does any one know a powerful alternativ to macromedia flash?)
prongs_386
i always enjoy open source projects more, in half of the projects I use i find one or two functions missing which could easily be implemented. I add these myself in open source progs, I havnt been a part of a project though as of yet.
desertwind
sanstitre1 wrote:
Hello,
Let's talk about open source

SURE!

sanstitre1 wrote:
Do you prefer open source or paid prog??

Matter of Choice, Matter of Freedom - Only FLOSS.

sanstitre1 wrote:
Have you ever participated on developping open source progs/projects

YES

sanstitre1 wrote:
Or let's list open source alternatives for paid solution

http://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

sanstitre1 wrote:
(does any one know a powerful alternativ to macromedia flash?)

Not yet. f4l is there, but you'll need to know real programming for that.
elekis
testing and using for 2 years ,

ubuntu, ooo2, etc..etc...

it' cool and easy and more with apt-get . hte best tools on the world.

a+++
Rocky3478
In my experience, Open Source software (or shareware) has been getting better and better lately.... One example being Smultron vs. BBedit.

Although I still like PS CS2 better then The GIMP.... ;D
kany
You its a matter of choices as well as a matter of money. You know the paid ones are really expensive and out of reach of the medium user so open source is really there to help.
But i myself like the paid over the open
i like photoshop instead of GIMP
Microsoft Ofiice instead of Open office

and well i like Opera as my explorer and well its a paid but this 8.5 version is free Wink
Kd527
For me, it depends. Ususally if there's an equivilent from Apple, I get that instead of Open Source. On windoze and Linux, definately open source.
KHO
There are some things that l would still use the paid stuff for, like photoshop, but there are not many of them, and as soon as vista comes out and MicroSoft starts trying to kill off XP, then l am on to the Linux bandwagon Neutral
magnusmoty
I WILL NOT PAY EWER!
I SO LOVE FREE PROGRAMS SO I WIL PAY ANY MONEY FOR THEM!!!
moncader
Most sotware products that you pay for are largely overpriced. And since they are made by a company that sells software, in many cases that product doesn't allow the programmers to express their creativity in their own way, because of rules layed out by the company.

In Open Source world, this problem doesn't exist, and things like Linux are created. Smile I'm a huge open source fan, and personally think the world would do much better without the money aspect...
kenetix
definetly open-source, I loved, love and will love open-source
Ranfaroth
Paid solution is not the contrary of Open source solution

Open source softwares can be paid ones, and non-paid softwares can be closed source ones...
srijit
some programs have no open-source equivalents yet.
for example photoshop CS2. but am glad to see that the list is becoming less and less.
open source software usually have better support, from users and developers alike.
for OS, linux is a good choice for people who are willing to learn / experiment. for designers, OSX is best IMO. for people who cant make up their mind, they use MS windows :p
In server software, open-source rules!!!! apache, spamassasin, ftp .... best things are open-source. Smile
desertwind
srijit wrote:
some programs have no open-source equivalents yet.
for example photoshop CS2.

Haven't you heard about GIMP ? I'd rather call it as a Photoshop replacement, than equivalent. It's much more powerful than PS.
v3nd0r
open source , is not, that you do not have to pay for it. Open source is that with Programs came source of it. Free software is something like do not have to pay for it.

There few Open Source programs that cost some...

Or maybe i'm wrong...
garvalf4
yes it's true.
Anyway, many open source software are very useful, I'm thinking to KDE, openoffice, Blender, Gimp, and many more
Jedi Master
kany wrote:

But i myself like the paid over the open
i like photoshop instead of GIMP
Microsoft Ofiice instead of Open office

and well i like Opera as my explorer and well its a paid but this 8.5 version is free Wink

I agree. I like Opera much beter than any browser I've tried.

I don't like pirated software (and I don't have any) because I have a guilty conscience. But then I don't really like OSS because they lack the ..... features, I guess, and IMO the quality of closed source programs. I hate spending money on programs, *that's why I barely have any Razz *, but if I have to I will. *I just haven't brought myself to spend 700 on Photoshop Razz *

OpenOffice.org is alright, but I much prefer M$ Office because it's what I use for school and I just feel better using M$ Office even though it costs around $200. When I use OO.o, I end up booting into Windows to use Word. I just don't like using it.
tengsoon
I tried ubuntu for a while until i realised that i didn't know how to get my games to work there..
Nhoj
I prefer open-source solution because I can afford them. It makes no sense the spend money on something when there is an alternative with just a good if not better usability. I also like knowing many knowledgeable people have looked over the code. Makes me feel safer about it. If you have enough coding knowledge, you can even modify the software if it doesn't do everything you want it to.
msorc
I guess that 'open-source' term should be considered as 'free'. The popularity of so called 'open source' software is only because its free.
Users don't bother do they have sources. They just want a software that does work.
How many of you guys have ever looked into the sources of e.g. OpenOffice.org or GIMP? And lets pretend that MS Office and Photoshop are free. I guess in this case OOo and Gimp wont be so popular
Ranfaroth
No : the popularity of open-source softwares in administrations and governments is because they're spyware-less, and extensible.
Cost has very few influence...
desertwind
msorc wrote:
I guess that 'open-source' term should be considered as 'free'. The popularity of so called 'open source' software is only because its free.

Yes, free is the right word to use. But please read Free as in "Free Speech" not Free as in "Free Beer". Better understand it as freedom.

msorc wrote:
Users don't bother do they have sources. They just want a software that does work.
How many of you guys have ever looked into the sources of e.g. OpenOffice.org or GIMP?

The good thing is that not only you, but everyone can look into the source. If you found a bug, or ou want an extra feature, you dont have to wait for the author to correct/add it. if you're not a programmer, you can request any programmer to do that.

msorc wrote:
And lets pretend that MS Office and Photoshop are free. I guess in this case OOo and Gimp wont be so popular

In that case ....

But now that is not the case.
msorc
Guys, when you driving a car do you care how 'free' is its engine?
How many of you can disassemble the engine and make it better?
You just drive and enjoy your trip.
Only car mechanicals enjoy maintaining the car. They may discuss the car models saying that carA is very bad because only firm's parts can be used to repair it. And they may admire carB because anybody can repair it with just a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a hammer.
Others do not care...

The same with software. Mostly people who understand programming care about sources, the other part cares about the price, wants functionality, but not the 'freedom' and 'sources'.
msorc
My answer to the question "Do you prefer open source or paid solutions?"
For individual use I prefer open source software, because its free and I, as a software developer, can play a bit with it.
For my work I prefer a SOLUTION which help me and my employees to work effectively. I don't care how open and free it is. Even if it costs some money but invesment will be returned, I will pay for it.
Ranfaroth
msorc wrote:
Of course.
I don't like to know that this engine can do things I don't want, like keeping accelerating even if I want to stop my car
elefas
is open source == free ??? I think there is a slight difference, maybe I am wrong, who knows, but yes we can use open source programs for free and we can tweak them to better suit our needs but few of them can compete paid solutions.
desertwind
msorc wrote:
How many of you can disassemble the engine and make it better?
You just drive and enjoy your trip.

What if the manufacturer wont allow to have a look at your engine for any problems. What if he welded the Bonnet Shut.

msorc wrote:
Only car mechanicals enjoy maintaining the car. They may discuss the car models saying that carA is very bad because only firm's parts can be used to repair it. And they may admire carB because anybody can repair it with just a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a hammer.
Others do not care...

And what if the manufacturer won't allow to contact a mechanic of your choice ? What if only the manufacturer can open and repair ?

elefas wrote:
is open source == free ???

No. Open Source program need not to be free of price. Even Free Software Programs need not to be free. Read Free as in Free Speech, Not as in Free Beer.

Read More
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
msorc
All your arguments about freedom are only applicable to people who have programming skills. Ask your mother, wife, sister, doctor in hospital, dressmaker, miner, taxi driver etc about the 'free' software. I am absolutely sure they consider it free as free beer.
Regarding the example with car engines. Just pretent that an open source product is written in exotic and very complex programming language. There is no IDE, and development tools are ugly. So nobody exept authors can fix the product. Is it free?
I don't believe you guys that buying a car you will ask for service manual and technical drawings of an engine. If your refrigirator is broken will you repair it by yourself?
When you read comparisons of using MS products and OSS products by either side (MS or OSS supplier). What is the main resulting reason? Price!
When you visit a dentist do you care how 'free' is his tools? You care only about price and final result mostly.
Just look behind your working place and behind your circle of colleagues. Most people does not have programming skills and they don't care about freedom.
OSS is free as free speech only for programmers, it's free as free beer to others.
Ranfaroth
msorc wrote:
All your arguments about freedom are only applicable to people who have programming skills.
Then you didn't understand them.
For example, ask your mother if she preferes a software with spywares or without. Did she need to have programming skills to choose the open-source one ?
Please read the thread again, and if you don't understant the arguments, just ask
Quote:
I don't believe you guys that buying a car you will ask for service manual and technical drawings of an engine.
If I've got the choice between a "closed-source" car, and a "open-source" one, as you suggest, I'll choose the latest, because I'll know it will be more secure
Quote:
If your refrigirator is broken will you repair it by yourself?
If your refrigirator is broken and the society dead, what will you do ?
Quote:
When you read comparisons of using MS products and OSS products by either side (MS or OSS supplier). What is the main resulting reason? Price!
As said above in this thread, that's wrong. The reasons are : security, extensibility, independancy
Quote:
When you visit a dentist do you care how 'free' is his tools?
I'll really worry if he tells me that he doesn't control them Rolling Eyes
Quote:
Just look behind your working place and behind your circle of colleagues. Most people does not have programming skills and they don't care about freedom.
No : most people does not have programming skills (that's true), but most care about freedom : all of them prefere softwares secure and without spywares...
msorc
The topic is going to become a holy war flood here. I guess we have shown enough arguments to each other. I quit the discussion.