FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A question about my site and the search engines





engeland
I'm using free domain from dot.tk...

Whenever, i type out my site on search engines like yahoo and google, 0 results show up. Not even related words like the content of my site or webstaff names link to my site.

Is it because of the domain? if so, how do i fix it,so it can appear on search engines? Confused
Bondings
My advice; just don't use the .tk domains. They are maybe shorter than a subdomain, but that's it.
Loathing in Fear
Dot.tk is shorter, like bondings said, but it really doesn't work if you have a forum, like; you cant use the: "log me in automatically".
BTW, have you already registered your domain at the search machines?
That also might do the trick Wink

------------------------
Loathing Wink
engeland
How do i register my domain? well ive done the one they ask for in dot.tk options. But still nothing Confused
Loathing in Fear
well, you have to register your domain to search engines, sometimes you have to pay, to get your domain listed in their search engines, but with other you just have to find a link with something like: "submit my website" or something like that, then click on the link and fill in the form.
Daniel15
Add your site to Google: http://www.google.com/addurl
Add your site to Yahoo: http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request (requires Yahoo account. Yahoo email accounts work fine)

If you add your site to yahoo, you'll also get listed in Altavista (since Altavista is now owned by Yahoo). I think it costs money to get listed in MSN, but if you get listed in Google or Yahoo, then most likely, you'll get listed.
Bondings
The only thing you need to get listed in the search results is links, a lot of links from popular websites pointing to your website. Submitting it might only get it crawled.

daniel15 wrote:
I think it costs money to get listed in MSN

Now how do you explain this?
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=dansoft
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=stickboarder
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
The only thing you need to get listed in the search results is links, a lot of links from popular websites pointing to your website. Submitting it might only get it crawled.

daniel15 wrote:
I think it costs money to get listed in MSN

Now how do you explain this?
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=dansoft
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=stickboarder


*cough*
I think my site was linked to from other sites.

Anyway, I was wrong: see http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx?FORM=WSDD2 to submit to MSN.

Submit site to MSN wrote:

Thank you for submitting your URL to MSN Search

MSNBot automatically indexes pages that meet accepted standards for content, design, and technical implementation.

Shocked Their bot can detect pages that meet "accepted design/content/technical standards"??
Twikki
I find no problem with .tk or .uni.cc, im alright with the fact they hide my domain as I dont want my site filtered from school
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
Shocked Their bot can detect pages that meet "accepted design/content/technical standards"??

MSN search doesn't work with an algorithm, but with a neural network.

They most likely trained the neural network by giving it pages that completely didn't meet the standards and pages that did meet the standards. After a lot of training, the network is able to detect it with an acceptable accuracy.
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
MSN search doesn't work with an algorithm, but with a neural network.

What's a neural network? Confused
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
Bondings wrote:
MSN search doesn't work with an algorithm, but with a neural network.

What's a neural network? Confused

A artificial neural network is a simplification and mechanisation of a biological neural network like our brain.

It consists of massively interconnected neurons with each several inputs and outputs in this case all website variables like links, content, topic, ...

You first need to train a neural network by giving it data with known inputs and outputs and letting an algorithm set the values of the interconnections and in the neurons. After the training phase, it should be tested with other data, again with known (but different) data. If the test is successfull, it is ready to be used, in this case to rank pages for a search string.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_networks
Metaguy
Bondings wrote:
daniel15 wrote:
Bondings wrote:
MSN search doesn't work with an algorithm, but with a neural network.

What's a neural network? Confused

A artificial neural network is a simplification and mechanisation of a biological neural network like our brain.

It consists of massively interconnected neurons with each several inputs and outputs in this case all website variables like links, content, topic, ...

You first need to train a neural network by giving it data with known inputs and outputs and letting an algorithm set the values of the interconnections and in the neurons. After the training phase, it should be tested with other data, again with known (but different) data. If the test is successfull, it is ready to be used, in this case to rank pages for a search string.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_networks


*bites lip* ... erm... still don't get it? Razz
EDIT: I guess this is a bit off topic. Sorry Sad
engeland
that neural network bit was really interesting.

anyway, back to the topic. I noticed my frihost subdomain also doesnt show on serach engines like google and yahoo. Could this be something we have to comply as we use frihost?

I'm just asking here, it doesnt really matter if this is how it is supposed to be and that it cant be changed. Smile

im still on frihost all the way
Bondings
engeland wrote:
that neural network bit was really interesting.

anyway, back to the topic. I noticed my frihost subdomain also doesnt show on serach engines like google and yahoo. Could this be something we have to comply as we use frihost?

I'm just asking here, it doesnt really matter if this is how it is supposed to be and that it cant be changed. Smile

im still on frihost all the way

For your website to be crawled and indexed by the search engines you need to have a lot of links pointing to your website from popular pages on the internet. It has nothing to do with the (sub)domain name. Just get listed in a few directories or contact other websites for link exchanges. There are plenty of possibilities.
engeland
oh really.

Ic, then . thanx for the info Wink
Related topics
Able to stop search engines from searching my site?
URL redirectors and search engines
Question about Search Engines
Advertising on search engines?
To submit or not to engines
Google Analytics
How do you attract people to your WEB SITE?
Publishing My web site to search engines?
How to add your site to search engines
SECRETS OF SEARCH ENGINES
Search engines and my site
Improve your rank in Search engines!!!
Submitting individual pages to search engines - blogger prob
Get your site listed in search engines.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.