FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you know the specs of your RAM

bcnhs81
i am planning to buy a new RAM, and i know that DDR RAM have different types, how do i know the type for my Motherboard, you see i currently have 384mb of RAM (256+128) i plan to buy a 512MB and swap out the 128 for it..
Naif
You'll need to use a tool like Everest Home Edition, PC Wizard 2006 or Sisoftware Sandra. EHE and PCW200 are freeware. After you download one of these two, I will show you where and what to look for(if you arent able to figure it out yourself).
Zango
Also note that memory runs faster if they are of the same type (e.g. 2x256 or 2x1024), than when you have different sizes. Also the same speed at which they run is good.
GDG
Hey guys,

Ok bcnhs81 you do not need all these softwares or programs to find what type of RAM you have. All you do is take out one of the sticks of RAM (preferably the 128 mb since you will swap it) and take it to the store. Or look at the information and stuff on it, easier thing just give it to the guy in store he will know which RAM you need. Do not waste money or time on these programs. Hope you did not already!!! Very Happy
fayettemat
GDG wrote:
Hey guys,

Ok bcnhs81 you do not need all these softwares or programs to find what type of RAM you have. All you do is take out one of the sticks of RAM (preferably the 128 mb since you will swap it) and take it to the store. Or look at the information and stuff on it, easier thing just give it to the guy in store he will know which RAM you need. Do not waste money or time on these programs. Hope you did not already!!! Very Happy

there is writing on a stick of ram usualy and also you could contact your computer manfactuar's site and ask them on their forum, also you could always read the manual!
myspacelogin
For finding the kind of ram, i'd suggest getting cpuz, it also gives you alot of other information about your computer specs that you may not have known about.
Pikokola
Ok.. ok... but I still didn;t know why did you wants to know the spec of your ram, what spec I think Shocked (Am i the slow one?)

Ok I think if you wants to buy new ram, why didn't you change it all (512+512) or maybe just (256+256) since it'll run faster if it's have same spec, speed, manufacture etc, sometimes when u use like what you did right now, you'll only get a 256 speed (256+128 = 256, since 128 can't run as fast as 256 so the 256 will be count as 128 too Sad) <-- it happened to me for about 2 months ago Sad
magnusmoty
bcnhs81 wrote:
i am planning to buy a new RAM, and i know that DDR RAM have different types, how do i know the type for my Motherboard, you see i currently have 384mb of RAM (256+128) i plan to buy a 512MB and swap out the 128 for it..

firs of all you need to know what is your motherboard name is.
then, just ask the seller in the store, and he will say what will be beter for you.
izcool
Naif wrote:
You'll need to use a tool like Everest Home Edition, PC Wizard 2006 or Sisoftware Sandra. EHE and PCW200 are freeware. After you download one of these two, I will show you where and what to look for(if you arent able to figure it out yourself).

I LOVE Lavalys's Everest Home Edition, but they no longer offer it for download now, you have to pay for it (see their site). The thing is that it can be easily acquired on Google, I got it in about 2 seconds.