FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7-zip

blueway
Quote:
7-Zip is a file archiver with high compression ratio

The main features of 7-Zip:

* High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression

* 7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL

* Supported formats:
o Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
o Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM and DEB

* For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip

* Self-extracting capability for 7z format

* Integration with Windows Shell

* Powerful File Manager

* Powerful command line version

* Plugin for FAR Manager

* Localizations for 60 languages

LATEST VERSION : 4.32

misterdimiz
blueway wrote:
7-Zip is a file archiver with high compression ratio

The main features of 7-Zip:

* High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression

* 7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL

* Supported formats:
o Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
o Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM and DEB

* For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip

* Self-extracting capability for 7z format

* Integration with Windows Shell

* Powerful File Manager

* Powerful command line version

* Plugin for FAR Manager

* Localizations for 60 languages

LATEST VERSION : 4.32

That's very good. It has multilang support.
Nice tip! Very Happy
nevzaimnij
I'm using 7zip only, because it's fast, simple, have more % of compressing than zip or rar and it's FREE ! ! !
Zork538
7zip is the best.

1. It's free
2. It's native compression format is the best.

There are 2 thing i would like to see in 7zip.

1. support for compression rar, it is a widely used format, and better than zip. But is would even be better if we all would use 7z.
2. recompression of zip( or other) compressed multimedia formats (like jpeg/mpeg).
prongs_386
i find winrar the best util for compression and i link it to everyone i come by.
zorindart
It's a shame there isn't a windows version of this prog.
blueway
Yes it has windows version
I am using it
corey
I agree. Its the only archiver I've been using since it was created. I used Ultimatezip before, but 7zip is a small, efficient package that does the job well.
seanooi
i've just recently switched from winrar to 7zip, mainly because it has a better compression ratio. Laughing
S3nd K3ys
I've been using it for years. Great compression, command line etc.

Cool
kany
Well its been years that i am using Winrar and yet it hasn't given me a problem but i think i will try out this 7 zip . Do you guys know of any program that provides the most compression.
win66
Thank for sharing.7Zip is a good open source compression softwrae.
S3nd K3ys
kany wrote:
Do you guys know of any program that provides the most compression.

7zip

Quote:
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.
Panthrowzay
7-zip doesnt work all the time for some reason especially when i really need to upload files I wonder Why sometimes Crying or Very sad
Xcelerate
7-zip. Very nice compression. I have been working on my own compression program (which is probably why I haven't been posting), that uses the standard deviation between different bytes. (Don't want to reveal too much Wink )

Anyway compression is a very interesting subject; I think more mathematically than programmably. After all, algorithms and procedures can be written on paper.
olag
7z is a very good program and it's free. The problem is that few people use it. I don't use it because i seldom compress and generaly files that i download are .rars.
Revvion
super free program that opens all my file types, been using it for a few months now and i gotta say it is the best:D
zorindart
In my previous post I said there was no Windows version. Of course I was wrong. There's an actual Windows version and works OK.
driftingfe3s
I like winrar because in my experience it's faster at decompressing archives. But 7-zip is a great if you want a free app.
tdfranc
nice program,
i'm using it for over a year now and I think it's perfect:

1) fast
2) simple gui
3) not too much functions, they stay at the core business: zipping
Studio Madcrow
I tend to use 7zip a lot because it has a Linux version available and it tends to compress files even better than RAR (or any other non-experimental compression system) The only problem I have is that some people can't open/extract 7zip archives.
lethaltriad
i've tried 7zip to compress some files on a couple of occassions but in general i stick with zip and rar. Most clients i'm sending files have winzip installed so its easier for them to open.
bulek
Most people have WinRAR on their computer nowadays, which has no problems with extracting 7zip files. WinZIP is simply trash.
vvforgs
7zip is better than WINRAR
It makes file more smaller
Studio Madcrow
vvforgs wrote:
7zip is better than WINRAR
It makes file more smaller

Indeed. Plus, 7zip is free software and implements an algorithm that's unencumbered by patents. Rar is commercial software (you have to pay to use it longer than 30 days). That alone (even if 7zip wasn't any better from a technical point of view) would be enough to make it worth switching too.
fay_ela
Winrar is the best software compressio
biljap
I dont know if 7-zip has better algorithm than other similar software. I use it for several months now because it is free. I dont like it too much but it does good job I dont have anything bad to say about it.

Im curious... Why do some people think that WinZip is trash? What is the reason for that? Confused
welshsteve
I've been using 7-zip for ages now and find it an excellent zip utility. Another excellent one is ZipGenius. There really is no need to pay for zip software these days
Agent ME
There is also 7-Zip Portable, which I always keep on my flashdrive just in case I happen to use a computer lacking a good zipping program.
welshsteve
Agent ME wrote:
There is also 7-Zip Portable, which I always keep on my flashdrive just in case I happen to use a computer lacking a good zipping program.

Yeah I keep that in my PortableAppsSuite
xcloudy
Yeah, I'm always using 7zip.
It have fulent functionalities and free!
No spyware.
One of the best opensource software in my opinion.
xtranophilist
Yes 7-Zip is one of the best open source application.

Its compression - LZMA by Igor is used everywhere now, UPX uses it, and even NSIS and Inno installlers.

7-Zip is Free Software.
I use 7-Zip for compressing files except setup files and packed portable executables.
I compress these with WinRAR.
For every other file types, 7-Zip gives far more better compression ratio.

I use WinRAR for opening archives though.
I think ts better in this aspect than 7-Zip.
7-Zip cant copy files from within archives but WinRAR can.
SFXing and commenting is easily possible with WinRAR.

But I love 7-Zip.