FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A complete Web Authoring System : Nvu

blueway
A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver

Texas Al
And it's free and open source. Very, very nice program.
djclue917
Although I haven't really used Nvu to create/edit pages before, I could tell that its UI is very easy to understand; very straightforward.

Other great FOSS tools: Bluefish, Screem, Quanta+
zorindart
Not bad, but it's very very far away from Dreamweaver's features.
In fact I think it's quite similar to mozilla's web builder...
...but is free charge. so you cannot complaint
DRock
I've made a few web pages with this program before, it is very easy to use and is a great tool.
desertwind
nvu is good tool, not a great one. It is real bad when working with css.

BTW, its a good initiative. It can do muh better.
justinrs32
I downloaded it and its not bad. I would still like to stick to writing out the code myself. Thats how I learned to do it, and its what I started likeing. All I use is notepad, give it a try! Wink

-Justin
Texas Al
I don't think there are any good WYSIWYG CSS tools. It's hard to have a user-friendly CSS authoring tool that doesn't restrict your options or try to "correct" syntactically valid CSS statements that it doesn't like.

You're best off with two browser windows and a good text editor (like Crimson or UltraEdit). One browser window open to a CSS reference site and the other one to the page (or local mockup of that page) that you're developing the CSS for.
Rocky3478
I tried it, but I didn't really like the way that they implemented CSS. Otherwise a great program, and I'd happily use it if they fixed the above issue...
Kris1972
justinrs32 wrote:
I downloaded it and its not bad. I would still like to stick to writing out the code myself. Thats how I learned to do it, and its what I started likeing. All I use is notepad, give it a try! Wink

-Justin

I have both Nvu and Studio 8. I am completely new to web publishing so i may ask a stupid question.

How do I get Nvu to publish direct to my frihost site. I have followed the tutorials from Nvu and when I go directly to my site the admin message is still there.

My remedy was to copy the code straight to my index.html page. Any suggestions are appreciated, as I am hoping that Nvu would be easy for my Sifu (middle aged chinese man) to use for his site, but need to make it one button publishing.
seef
If you dont want to bother with write clean HTML code nvu is fine. But if wanna work as it said before with CSS Quanta+ is the better choice. There also a lot plugins for Quanta+ for ex. php, css. I recommend to learn html and work with Quanta+.
Nyizsa
Bluefish is also a good one. It supports HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, C, Pascal, Perl, Shell and many more. A complete development tool. I like it.
{name here}
I'm sticking with Dreamweaver. Nvu is good, but pales in Frontpage, or Dreamweaver. Nvu is comparable to the microsoft script editor that came out in 2001 in features and limits(though OO > MS Office).
photographerguy
to Kris1972:

if you have Studio 8, I would see no reason to use Nvu.
you have all you need.
just my opinion.
d722002
i've used both Nvu and Dreamweaver... i find them almost exactly the same, except that Dreamweaver comes with examples. Nvu was great when i didnt have the money for dreamweaver, but now it doesnt really matter.
Phil
NVU is good as WYSIWYG editors go, but it's no Dreamweaver. The CSS features, I find, are somewhat awkward. And it WILL change your code.
I agree with the statement about WYSIWYG editors not being good tools. I will use NVU for general editing, but I could never do a whole site with it.
win66
blueway wrote:
A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver

thank for sharing.I will try it.
dz9c
Just downloaded it, not likin the setup, yet. I have to get used to it a bit more and than maybe I wil have some ncie things to say. The open source part really doesnt help me anyway though lol...
Wd64
NVU beats Frontpage in every concievable aspect. Frontpage is a good basic tool for people experienced at using Word, Powerpoint, Publisher etc. but NVU is surely a more advanced and all-round better program.

It remains true the Dreamweaver owns both in almost every way but pricewise its not comparable.
randomaccess
Quote:
to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver

It is no where near them. It lacks many features that dreamweaver has. You could basically type your own webpage using html better than what NVU offers. What i am saying is that "NVU SUCKS". Not to be offensive
Shirish
Google unveils Web-based calendar app

Integrated with GMail and full of Google Beta goodness. Supports iCal or XML for integration

Does NVU supports in built plugins or creating new plugins for developing such apps like GOOGLE calender and MAp Services