FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2 questions(down often and transffering DNS)

LandShark
Hello, i recently got my new domain. I am having problems with it going down often. Its at smx.frih.net I was also wondering if anyone could give me a step by step tutorial on how to transfer a .be from eurodns.com to my DNS servers? Thanks
Loathing in Fear
The 2nd server had some problems last month, so this could be the reason that your domain is down sometimes..., i also had that a few times...

To transfer your .be domain, you have to set the dns / nameserver settings of the domain to: ns1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net,
then you have to wait for a while, in the meantime, go to you menu of direct admin, and go to "advanced tools", then go to "Domain Administration"
then, "add a domain" or "change domain name"
i don't know if "change domain name" works, but "add a domain" worked fine with me..., then try and go to: www."yourdomain".be, if it isnt up then, wait for like... 5 minutes and try again. You will see a "Direct Admin" screen,
that means that your domain + hosting is ready to get some pages.

I hope i helped you out Smile

----------------
Loathing Smile
LandShark
Dont know if its working yet, but i do think it is. . .

EDIT: thanks for the help, i sent you 5frih$
Loathing in Fear
Just wait a bit, and it will Smile

Thanks for the 5 frih$ Very Happy

----------------------
Loathing Wink
Daniel15
LandShark wrote:
Dont know if its working yet, but i do think it is. . .

EDIT: thanks for the help, i sent you 5frih$

.be domains take up to 24 hours to update the name server entries.

Go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and type the domain in the 'DNS Lookup' box (top box on the right). If the results look similar to this, then the domain has updated.

Unfortunately, your ISP might cache the DNS records, so it might take a while for it to actually work for you. Just be patient.
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
.be domains take up to 24 hours to update the name server entries.

Go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and type the domain in the 'DNS Lookup' box (top box on the right). If the results look similar to this, then the domain has updated.

Belgian domains are a bit better than that. They are activated immediately and I suppose the same goes for updates.
Quote:
From now on, end-users will notice that their newly-registered domain names have been activated immediately and are up and running. So, DNS BE gives the agents (“registrars”) the possibility to offer services to the endusers that have an immediate effect on the working of the website and email address of the registered domain name. This new model enables them to better meet their customers’ needs.
http://dns.be/pdf/Pressrelease_en_20050824.pdf

Quote:
Unfortunately, your ISP might cache the DNS records, so it might take a while for it to actually work for you. Just be patient.

Yes, that's the problem, if you try it too fast, your isp will cache it for 4-24 hours.
Daniel15
I just said that out of experience. My .be domain took ~4 hours to update (it just said something like 'Update Pending' in my EuroDNS control panel)
LandShark
thanks for all the help, it was transferred and working fine =)
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
I just said that out of experience. My .be domain took ~4 hours to update (it just said something like 'Update Pending' in my EuroDNS control panel)

That's EuroDNS, not dns.be. I registered and updated a few .be domains for friends and they changed immediately (apart from my isp caching them for quite some time). Wink