FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What happens when Intel takes over the world?

OnlyOneLife
Now intel chips will be used in macs too...!!!
http://www.cnet.com/4520-11740_1-6415442-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld2
Intel is mostly used in all types of computers from PCs to severs, to laptops to thinkpads. What happens when they take over the market?

How much of the market does AMD own? Does anyone know?
Since they dominate they don't have to work on improving their chips and they could just charge whatever price they want. I think people need to support AMD more so they don't go out of business so we don't have a world without new technology.
But mainly, what will happen when Intel takes over? Also google might take over too.
DX-Blog
Market share of intel was at 82.2% on 31-12-2005, AMD was on 16.6%. A year before that it was 83.7% whilst AMD was on 14.7. As you can see the market share of intel dropped whilst that of AMD has climbed. In 2002 it was about 87% for Intel to 11% or so for AMD.

Intel isn't taking over the world with this, intel is just trying to push it's market share up since it's losing the race.

AMD is especially owning intel on desktops, unlike you say. During 2004 intel had a market share of 75% in march whilst this dropped to 42% at august. AMD though has gone up from 22% to 54%. In october 2005 this number was at 67% for AMD in the US. Worldwide I dunno what the share of AMD has been.

As for notebooks they have been at a marketshare of 31.5% which is still increasing dramatically.

Server systems, which are currently AMD's strong side are increasing in sale on an extreme rate, last year the growth rate on AMD servers was 16.5% in Q3 against 5.2% for Intel. Although that doesn't exactly say much about the market share, which I couldn't find any info on yet, it does say that AMD is somewhat increasing faster on sales than intel, and yet again with an extreme rate.

Personally I don't see this move as intel as an attempt to take over the world, but more as a last resort before it's too late. AMD is more like google, Intel is more like microsoft. Tough luck for intel and microsoft, but people prefer cheaper products, especially if those offer even a better quality which is happening currently with certain sectors of AMD products vs Intel products.
Marston
OnlyOneLife wrote:
Now intel chips will be used in macs too...!!!
http://www.cnet.com/4520-11740_1-6415442-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld2
Intel is mostly used in all types of computers from PCs to severs, to laptops to thinkpads. What happens when they take over the market?

How much of the market does AMD own? Does anyone know?
Since they dominate they don't have to work on improving their chips and they could just charge whatever price they want. I think people need to support AMD more so they don't go out of business so we don't have a world without new technology.
But mainly, what will happen when Intel takes over? Also google might take over too.
Old news... Rolling Eyes I saw a flash video about how one day, google will rule the world - if only I could find it! It was superb. I think you can get it from albino black sheep (http://albinoblacksheep.com)
raver
well in my honest opinion amd is cheap and worth it`s money... in my country from amd you can only by two types of processors for desktops.. amd 64 and sempron... in a test i made my intel P3 running at 700 Mhz beat a amd sempron 2200+ ..but ofcourse most of you know that amd is a cheap solution made probably for third world countries... although Intel is more expensive it certainly deserves the money...just my ideea Smile
TonkPilz
Intel Bhaa! if you dont have AMD inside, u dont have an inside to brag about
DX-Blog
raver wrote:
well in my honest opinion amd is cheap and worth it`s money... in my country from amd you can only by two types of processors for desktops.. amd 64 and sempron... in a test i made my intel P3 running at 700 Mhz beat a amd sempron 2200+ ..but ofcourse most of you know that amd is a cheap solution made probably for third world countries... although Intel is more expensive it certainly deserves the money...just my ideea Smile

No chance in hell a P3 700 could beat a sempron 2200+ if the rest of the system is equal. Especially not for gaming performances. So I would like to see some statistics on this one, benchmark scores and specs for both systems.
madsencarl
Marston wrote:
Old news... Rolling Eyes I saw a flash video about how one day, google will rule the world - if only I could find it! It was superb. I think you can get it from albino black sheep (http://albinoblacksheep.com)

By any chance is this it? http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/epic I didn't watch it all but the words "Googlezon" and the dates 2014 and 2015 kept popping up.
n0obie4life
Nothing.

I'm just thinking about, what if one day, Frihost takes over the world.
dac_nip
by any chance this won't happen. why? because they will be sued for monopoly by AMD and they will be liable to pay royalties unless intel decided to monopolize the selling of IC just like bill gates did. well anyway, it's very unlikely to happen. so why bother?
gonzo
mac users and overclockers will be stoned?
DX-Blog
dac_nip wrote:
by any chance this won't happen. why? because they will be sued for monopoly by AMD and they will be liable to pay royalties unless intel decided to monopolize the selling of IC just like bill gates did. well anyway, it's very unlikely to happen. so why bother?

Is apple being sued for monopoly since their OS only works on Macs? Not really. So why should they be sued for only intel chips working on them? And why aren't they being sued already then for the current chips which apple is using by both intel and AMD?
SunburnedCactus
gonzo wrote:
mac users and overclockers will be stoned?

Not Mac users any more!