FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SMTP Errors

Vrythramax
I just setup all of my email accounts in my mail program and they can receive just fine, but whenever I try to send thru your (mine) SMTP server it keeps coming back with a Socket Error.

Any suggestions?
Bondings
It might be that your isp is blocking all outgoing mail that doesn't go through their own smtp. In this case, just change it to the one of your isp. At least I have to do this myself.
Animal
It's also possible that your ISP has blocked port 25 (the standard outgoing mail port) to attempt to stop spam. Most SMTP services offer SMTP on another port - not entirely sure if Frihost does (Bondings, any advice on this)?

If they do, it'll just be a case of finding out what the other port is and configuring your mail client to use it instead of port 25.
Vrythramax
I heeded your advice and changed nack to my ISP's SMTP server and now everything works fine.

But this raises another question: if I have trouble with the smtp server there how will that effect my forms?

BTW: may I have the full path info to PERL and sendmail please?
Daniel15
I think sendmail is at /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/bin/sendmail, I'm not sure though.

Quote:
But this raises another question: if I have trouble with the smtp server there how will that effect my forms?

Forms will still work fine, except to AOL accounts (AOL has blocked the FriHost mail server, AOL have also banned my ISP's mail server and the mail server of every other web host i've tried)

Also, you might want to try enabling SMTP Authentication. I think the FriHost servers require SMTP Authentication.