FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can't stop an executable from running on startup.....

AlexMiller
Recently I got a virus through an exploit in internet explorer. I believe the name was I-worm. My anti-virus software has completely removed all malicious components of the virus as far as i can tell. But everytime I start up my computer an error message pops up saying that it cannot find ibm0001.exe. I have searched my computer, no ibm0001.exe. I've searched the registry for ibm0001.exe and still nothing. I have also looked in the startup settings and there is no command to run ibm0001.exe. I'm at my last straw to get rid of this darn thing!! Please help. Thanks.
longjack
It may be a command placed in system.ini.

Click START -> Run, then type msconfig in the box that appears.

When msconfig opens go to the system.ini tab.

Look through system.ini for this line:

shell=explorer.exe ibm00001.exe

If it's there, delete the ibm00001.exe and the space between it an the explorer.exe so it looks like:

shell=explorer.exe

Save and restart.

HTH

longjack
AlexMiller
*Sigh* Sorry nothing like that in my system.ini, not even a shell= explorer.exe, should there be? Are there any other possibilities? Maybe another program thats running on start up that runs ibm0001.exe? If there was, would there a way to search through the .exe's on my computer for any referance to ibm0001.exe?
bkatz
AlexMiller wrote:
*Sigh* Sorry nothing like that in my system.ini, not even a shell= explorer.exe, should there be? Are there any other possibilities? Maybe another program thats running on start up that runs ibm0001.exe? If there was, would there a way to search through the .exe's on my computer for any referance to ibm0001.exe?

hey this is ben...(from your neighborhood)

anyways did you read what he said? you have to go to start > run > type in msconfig =S
AlexMiller
bkatz wrote:
AlexMiller wrote:

hey this is ben...(from your neighborhood)

anyways did you read what he said? you have to go to start > run > type in msconfig =S

Yeah, thats what I did. How else would I be able to see the contents of my system.ini...
James007
Hi,

The ibm0001.exe-file isn't a virus, it is spyware, called SpySheriff.
You can try this. It's something similar to the answers posted above this message, but not exactly.

James007 Smile
AlexMiller
Thank you!! It ended up to be a regristry problem! It was "Shell: explorer.exe...............................................................................................................................c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe" So at a glance all the spaces made it unsearchable and look normal... I'm really thankful for this James!! (Btw, Your avatar should be Sean Connery, he is the best James Bond)
James007
That's nice Very Happy

James007 Cool
gonzo
AlexMiller wrote:
Recently I got a virus through an exploit in internet explorer.

not a surprise
http://stopie.com

Quote:
anti-virus software has completely removed all malicious components of the virus

not likely as most baddies can cripple your FW and AV easily since most people are retarded enough to run as local admin.

Quote:

have searched my computer, no ibm0001.exe.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

STOP running in an admin context. Create a new user as a user. Not admin, not a power user. Delegate only the minimum required rights.

STOP using internet explorer to websurf.

Spend the next three months reading articles at bleepingcomputer