FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MacBook Pro

riv
For all of you mac users, you must have followed the MacWorld Expo news, and so you should know that Intel Macs have just come out. The one I am most excited about, being a laptop user, is the MacBook Pro. I really want to get it when it comes out. Although there has been rumors that there is going to be a better one coming out in a few months and also on the Apple Blog, the blogger states that he overheard some Apple employes talking about "a 12 and 17 inch replacing the 15.4 inch." The MacBook Pro is 15.4 inch so the blogger (including I) think(s) that they (the apple employes) are talking about the MacBook Pro.

Of course, if that is all I'm going to talk about, I would've had the thread called "MacBook Pro Rumors." So there are other things I'm going to touch upon. The MacBook Pro (I wish the name was just 'PowerBook'...) has a lot of features (and lack thereof) that make it awesome (and dissapointing). Natuarlly, there is the intel duo core chip. This speeds up the laptop greatly. Although I'm really concerned about the battery life (because of the new chip; Apple reps claims that they can't get an actual time because all they have are prototypes so far, and they couldn't get an actual reading off of a prototype). Also, there is the built in iSight and FrontRow (and the remote). I don't think I need to talk about that in detail, really. There's the MagSafe connecter, which is interesting. Well, that's all that interests me about the MacBook Pro. What do you think about it? Are you going to order it right away, or are you spectical about it? Are you dissapointed about the lack of the DL SuperDrive, the FireWire 800, the regualr sized card slot, or the modem? Let me know!
Rocky3478
I'm very disappointed that they dropped the PCMCIA slot. There are so many accessories that rely on that. And all I can say is Surprised that they dropped the FW800 port. I love the dual core though. ;D But, I think that I'll stick to my G4 1.5Ghz until next year...... Cool
riv
Yeah, but the express card changing isn't bad, because Apple's just being the first to start using the express card, and soon everyone would too be using it. Unless you really reley on the card slot, it doesn't make much of a difference...
spacer
Interesting...how soon they would be stable...
fayettemat
spacer wrote:
Interesting...how soon they would be stable...

i agree very much it isnt like apple to give us a deadline when the product will be released meaning that the product will be buggy and i really hope it has better battery life than my 12.1" iBook G4! also i'd go with the more expenisive model since i like playing with iMovie on my computer
Rocky3478
riv wrote:
Yeah, but the express card changing isn't bad, because Apple's just being the first to start using the express card, and soon everyone would too be using it. Unless you really reley on the card slot, it doesn't make much of a difference...

Yeah, I know, it's not bad, as long as some one comes out with those adapters soon, then it's actually quite good.
Kd527
I would think that by the end of the year, they will have speedbumped it with a 64 bit CPU. But yeah, this thing is awesome!
freedomandjustjuice
Hi guys, I'm writing on my iBook G4 now which was two on the 12th (my birthday too!) and it's not looking like it'll need to superseeded much before the macbook (the intel incarnation of the iBook?) is well established.

I can't wait to see what the spec will be on one those and i hope it stays white!! Anyone got any other ideas of what the intel versions of the current Powerpc macs might be?

SEB

p.s. Find out when your mac was born with coconut identity card, it does iPods too!
riv
freedomandjustjuice wrote:
Hi guys, I'm writing on my iBook G4 now which was two on the 12th (my birthday too!) and it's not looking like it'll need to superseeded much before the macbook (the intel incarnation of the iBook?) is well established.

I can't wait to see what the spec will be on one those and i hope it stays white!! Anyone got any other ideas of what the intel versions of the current Powerpc macs might be?

SEB

p.s. Find out when your mac was born with coconut identity card, it does iPods too!

By "Powerpc Mac", do you mean "Powermac?"
In which case, I would be interested in knowing how fast it runs, but I'm guessing it would be much faster than its predecesors... But no, no one really knows what the specs of it is (yet).

P.S. Are you the developer of Coconut Identity Card? I mean why are you advertising it?
Goatmonkey
I was really excited when I first heard about it and I still amm pretty excited. But, I am really pissed of cause it is not 64 bit. and that is a fraggin' step backwards. what the heck are they thinkin' th 64 bit Core Duo don't come out until September.
Kd527
doesn't matter though, it's still faster than the 64 bit G5. That says a LOT, the G5 being probably the most advanced CPU.
Srs2388
I dont get how they put "weaker" processors in them and sale them for more
than PC's these are like 1.4 GHz and look at PC's they will have about twice that...... am I missing something?
Rocky3478
Srs2388 wrote:
I dont get how they put "weaker" processors in them and sale them for more
than PC's these are like 1.4 GHz and look at PC's they will have about twice that...... am I missing something?

Do you mean the G4 chip? Don't get caught up in the Mhz. myth. I'm typing right now on my 15" Powerbook with a 1.5 Ghz G4 CPU, 1.5 Gb RAM, and 80Gb 5400 RPM hard drive. It absolutly creams my previous computer, which was a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz CPU, 1 Gb RAM, and a 160Gb 7200 RPM HD. To me, that's great performance.

A PowerPC G4 performs at about 1.5 times the speed of an equal x86 chip. My CPU is equal to about a 2.2 Ghz desktop x86 chip. That's good performance even now for a laptop, and it runs terribly cool. ;D The new Intel Core Duo chips are very good. As said above, it beats the PowerPC G5 in Apple's latest PowerPC desktops in a laptop. Surprised Cool
Srs2388
cool... I think i will HAVE To get one soon I have heard way too many good things about them now Smile
riv
Yeah, it would be neat if there was a 64bit chip in there, but I'm thinking that it might eat up much more battery than the current one, and besides, there's duo core in there, so that's way more than enough for me (and a lot of people who use laptops).

Quote:
cool... I think i will HAVE To get one soon I have heard way too many good things about them now

I'm glad that you are excited about this. There seems to be much more people starting to go to the Mac, which is good, as the developers would consider the Mac more, and it's just nice to be surrounded by Mac users.

What would be awesome is if there could be a large portion of the market using Macs, then that means more software, no virtual pc, and no tring to get XP and future versions running on Macs. (Although that also means more hackers targeting Macs, which isn't as good.)[/quote]