FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my first website

jstoeffler
hey here is my first website
http://www.jstoeffler.frih.net
it kinda sucks but i'm only 14 and don't really know how to do much
tell me if you think it is ok for a start
i basically just made it for my friends to look at
todabeat
that looks almost excatly the same as my first site... except mine was a 'WWF' wrestling page.

Look a my site. I have moved on ofrward just keep practicing. But i've been doing this for a couple of years..
Just keep working on learning HTMl and then move on to PHP<< which i want to learn.

But for a first try, it isn't that bad. The only thing i will recommend is to let go of black backgrounds. they aren't that good. Just me
Good luck
Will
jstoeffler
wow your site is pretty good
so did you use php to make that or how did you?
Alie
Looks like my first work few years before - site on angelfire. But with less animation details Smile
joshua_erceg
Same age as me! Very Happy
It looks good...but a bit dark...
Thats probably just my not liking dark layouts though
Apart from that, Thumbs up! Very Happy
todabeat
i wish it would be php, but no just html and some SSI. but i want to learn php really bad. but i don't have a lot of time on my hands
Dustin
For a first site you got some fancy things goin for you, i dont even think frontpage has the ability to change the scroll bar or to replace the icon. Ohh well that isnt something that i would add to my site even if i knew how Razz
TonkPilz
my only sugestion is to use black as your background
Oh and whas browsing truh your pics and i tink u need to eat more pizza or my be a whole deer your self Very Happy
jeffsolodky
I couldn't understand what that last guy said, something about a "deer," anyways, my criticism is the same as most of the others, except, you need a central theme. Just having pics and links is pointless, make it something that you do as a hobby, and stick with that. If you skateboard, then show pics and links of skateboards, not page about your favorite deck and then show a picture of your mom saying a little bio about her. Keep with a theme for each page/section and your site will maybe progress to blind-person worthy.
khairulsyahir
Okay, basically, your site has good organization. I mean, you have the layout set up pretty properly. What's lacking is colors and some design. Yeah, you need some design. Try to use colors more. Handy tips here: use colors that match each other, and use mostly one color only but with different tones. Perhaps add shadows a little bit.

And i think the font is quite big for their purpose there, so maybe shrink them a little? 10-12px is okay. And why not switch the font to tahoma, it's nicer for a website.

One more thing, the pics loads slowly. Even the 'peace out' pic on the frontpage loads real slow. Make sure you actually shrink the image size and not just defining it in html by using the width and height elements.

Okay, for the main links, try to use something that is there and visible all the time. i mean, having to hover above the links to see what is written there is not very convenient.

By the way, may I get to know your sister? I'd love making friends from aboard. Allow me to learn the culture and stuffs.
srikanthsonti
NIce work out but i think the layout must be more pro... any you said that it is ur first one so dont let ur hopes fall it is good work out there. do better ... Very Happy
mengshi200
cool, it is good site,please keep up working.
jstoeffler
hey thanks everybody
i would like to learn php but i dont know how. is there some program you have to download or something?
maybe someone could show me a good tutorial....?
TonkPilz
jeffsolodky wrote:
I couldn't understand what that last guy said, something about a "deer," .

he had a few pictures of dead deer's on the web page
i guess u dont know what a deer is

thats a deer Razz
khairulsyahir
Quote:
i would like to learn php but i dont know how. is there some program you have to download or something?
maybe someone could show me a good tutorial....?

So you want to learn PHP? Good, cause i'm learning it too.

OK, first and foremost, for more effective and convenient learning process, you need to be able to test the PHP codes that you've written. To do that, you must have a server installed on your machine. Windows comes bundled with Microsoft IIS, which is good enough for this purpose. Just go to Add/Remove Components and install IIS. Then, you need to download the PHP parser from http://www.php.net and install it into your computer. Then you're pretty much ready. Don't worry, the process is fairly easy, you just need to be patient and learn when something comes up during the process. Most of the info of how-to can be found on the Net. even the PHP parser you downloaded contains quite detailed instruction.

If you still think it's hard to configure, well you can always use your web server, such as Frihost. But you need to upload the files to the server and load it from your browser. Not favourable for me.

Okay, now your machine is set up, it's time to find some guides and resources on learning PHP. You can always buy PHP learning book such as the popular "... for Dummies" series or you can download pretty much decent tutorial and guide on the Net. Just search around a little.

That's it. Hope this helps.
jeffsolodky
TonkPilz wrote:
i tink u need to eat more pizza or my be a whole deer your self Very Happy

Man, can anyone else understand what this guy wrote? I mean, I guess after he explained it and all, but when you first read it didn't it seem like it was in Redneck or something?

Alright, if you thought that was bad, listen to that guy's website "Got tierd sick of that kid screeming in my face eavry time i loaded are index page so now u haft to hit the lingk above to se him do hes ting", WTF man?!? Is that like the theme for your webpage, being about beer and all, so you type like you passed out on your keyboard? Seriously, is that what the theme is?
burningjacks
hey jake...for a begginner that dang good. did you code it or use a program? i love the graphics. and esspeicially the onMouseOver. it took me awhile to figure all this stuff out. my site is http://BurningJacks.com but rite now im kinda rebuilding cuz i was shut down. it used to be a lot nicer haha. Laughing
plasticlipgloss
Thats a whole lot better than my first attempt at a site, I made a site for the wrestler Sting with a site builder and boy now when I look back at it... it looked pretty bad.

Yours on the other hand has some nice little effects going on there and it's pretty good for a 14 year old's site.

My advice: Keep working at it, try new things because thats how I learnt how to design.
Trynityque
well let's just say you're a lot better than me at doing the coding all by yourself =] i tend to grab help from everywhere. this is my site: http://trynityque.bravehost.com its already with bravenet, but i wanted more storage, so i'm here! well good luck and dont give up!
jstoeffler
nope, i didnt use any programs to make it
except notepad, that is
burningjacks
ya i do mine all thru notepad....with JavaScript, html, and CSS. its fun i like doing it.

HOW BOUT THEM STEELERS!
cepher
thats very nice

albeit im the same age as you, you did well as a beginner.
I do like the glass template (i like the green better) on your forums.

And those lighting up buttons are made nicely.

www.egg.frih.net/forum is my page. I've been scripting for a coupla years now, albeit not very well. Im a hardware person...Smile
panazen
jstoeffler wrote:
hey here is my first website
http://www.jstoeffler.frih.net
it kinda sucks but i'm only 14 and don't really know how to do much
tell me if you think it is ok for a start
i basically just made it for my friends to look at

you know what, i have to give you kudos on the forum. You really changed up the regular "phpbb look". great colours and all the right spots to post.
jstoeffler
thanks........ yeah the plain colors like they have on this forum are a bit boring...
i enjoy using notepad and having the page open on internet explorer.. i type the code in and save it, then hit refresh hoping it will work.
Vrythramax
Not bad for your first site! Keep on trying new ways of doing things and the design will never get stale. Nice work Smile

Dustin wrote:
For a first site you got some fancy things goin for you, i dont even think frontpage has the ability to change the scroll bar or to replace the icon. Ohh well that isnt something that i would add to my site even if i knew how Razz

Changing the scrollbars is easy enough with style tags, but they are only viewable in Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.

An example of a scrollbar style could be as simple as:

in the HEAD tag, before the BODY tag:

Code:

<style>
  body{
  scrollbar-arrow-color: #color number;
  scrollbar-3dlight-color: #color number;
  scrollbar-highlight-color: #color number;
  scrollbar-face-color: #color number;
  scrollbar-shadow-color: #color number;
  scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #color number;
  scrollbar-track-color: #color number;
  }
  </style>

where #color number is a hexidecimal color number (i.e. #993366).

Hope this helps Smile
cepher
jstoeffler wrote:
thanks........ yeah the plain colors like they have on this forum are a bit boring...
i enjoy using notepad and having the page open on internet explorer.. i type the code in and save it, then hit refresh hoping it will work.

No way! NO you didnt!

Did you say you used internet explorer!?!?!?!?

NO scripter shall bow down and conform.

www.getfirefox.com

(PS I still use notepad, hoping it works)
jstoeffler
Yeah, I have Firefox, too.
Woah... I just looked at my page in Firefox and the background is white..... What the heck?
lazaruz
First of I would like to say that you are doing the right thing starting off with notepad, when I started making websites some years ago I started with notepad and It has helped me alot knowing the code behind the site. Too many people start with Frontpage or Dreamweaver not really knowing what's going on behind the scene. As for your site, I think you really are doing a great job, maby a dark color on the background so the meny blends in, but other than that keep on coding and move slowly to PHP, that's when the real fun begins.
jstoeffler
Is anyone else seeing my background as white in Firefox?
That's how I'm seeing it.
Blaster
I am too. That is really odd.

But for somereason it is coming up right in Internet explore.