FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ignore list/buddy list

polarBear
Hello everybody! I have a small suggestion here:

There are times when you just don't feel like reading somebody, for X reason, or when you want to be notified if someone writes something. That is a native function on vbulletin, but evidently it's not on phpbb. There's a lot of phpbb mods that accomplish this-so bondings doesn't need to spend nights trying to figure it out-.

Two of them are:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/1274 <-Contact List
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/789 <-Ignore User

And both work wonderfully.

Can anyone tell me why not do it? It helps a lot when dealing with trolls, and other bastards you may want not to even look at.
SunburnedCactus
The mod team are plenty good enough to deal with trolls/bastards.
S3nd K3ys
Ignore = the highest form of Rent Free! (i.e. successful trolling)

gonzo
Great. I'd like to ignore EVERYONE except S3nd K3ys and people with less than 30 posts.
polarBear
SunburnedCactus wrote:
The mod team are plenty good enough to deal with trolls/bastards.

Not really. For instance, I think most of X user's writings are plain religious-zealot-on-drugs crap. Then, I block X user. I can't see his stuff, unless I do voluntarily remove him from my ignore list.

AND it would be easier for the mods, say, to detect the most ignored user and purge him even before anyone actually NEEDS to complain about him.
42mart2
Yea it would be cool with a buddy and a Ignore list, because then you dont need to reseave messages from that person, if he/she is bothering you. Cool
ocalhoun
That would be just too strange, if your blacklisted users posted anything, you wouldn't be able to see how that affected the thread, which might cause confusion. Anyway, its just another thing that you'd have to spend all your time explaining to neophytes.
gonzo
ocalhoun wrote:
That would be just too strange, if your blacklisted users posted anything,

actually intelligently designed blocklist mods don't entirely hide user X contribution. There's usually something like a notice to YOU that the content had been hidden 'click here to show'. User X topics still appear in the list.
CyanEyed
is an admin or mod going to reply?

i was going to post a topic requesting the same thing but thank god for the search function Wink

/me waits for a positive response
Jaime
Really this is a good idea... But the suggestions only are read but not executed.
mathiaus
jaime wrote:
Really this is a good idea... But the suggestions only are read but not executed.

Their only executed upon if their considered worthy and then their added to a list of stuff that needs to be done. Unless the suggestion has reason to be considered important it won't be imlemented immediatly.

If you dont want to read someones post why not just skip their topics and posts?
CyanEyed
last i checked, the ignore/buddy list was a feature VBulletin forums so unless there is a mod for phpbb (which is what i think this forum is runnin) it cant be done
LukeakaDanish
CyanEyed wrote:
last i checked, the ignore/buddy list was a feature VBulletin forums so unless there is a mod for phpbb (which is what i think this forum is runnin) it cant be done

Haha (that actually made me laugh - no offence intended of course Wink)

Of course it can be done in phpbb - it is possible to implement you own changes to phpbb (OH MY GOD) (Sorry about the sarcasm)

Should it be done? - of course it shouldnt! (again - no offence intended)
why?

well...:

1. It would be possible to post a flame and ignore the person you targeted
  2. Should it be possible to ignore admins/mods?
  3. It would be REALLY confusing - if you miss a post which is essential to a topic you might post something rather pointless
  4. If you are irritated by an other user there's a good chance the admins/mods will help you out (just click their name and hit PM)
  5. Listening to the people you disagree with is what makes topics interesting. I expect people wouldnt bother if such a mod was installed
  6. For question and answer forums (like the HTML/CSS and PHP ones), you might miss out on the answer to your question if your blocking the user who is trying to help you...

I think I could think of 6 things more if I wanted to...