FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to move emails from Outlook Express to GMail

headlong
I have tens of thousands email in my Outlook Express. Now I am switching to GMail. Does any one know a good method to move all the emails in outlook express to GMail, instead of forward each one by hand?

Thanks a lot!
wumingsden
headlong wrote:
I have tens of thousands email in my Outlook Express. Now I am switching to GMail. Does any one know a good method to move all the emails in outlook express to GMail, instead of forward each one by hand?

Thanks a lot!

there is a programme called Siffler [something] which does that job but only for outlook 98 which is no good for you.
Not too sure wether there is anything to help you out. You could use the shift key to select a number of messages and then forward tehn on in as big bundles as possible (although I'm not too sure wether this will work).
comp615
I'd say try like zipping or exporting them, but I dont think theres anyway to get it into Gmail :\
wumingsden
No there isn't Sad
Couldn't you zip them then post them as an attachment to your Gmail account and just keep them there and download them to your PC when needed? That way it saves space although you won't be able to read the emails
cheeta
there is one way.. thats Gmail drive...

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

now u can save all the email of outlook... then just save them on gmail drive...
headlong
I found a way by myself, see the following

http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_thread/thread/6bac9d882c82091d/976f2d915bfe52a7?lnk=st&q=outlook+express+%22move+to+gmail%22&rnum=4#976f2d915bfe52a7
d722002
Forwarding them would be the easiest, in my own opinion.
Stangg
Aye, just have a filter on your Gmail account named something like 'Old Emails' make sure it's set to have anything from your email addy moved to that folder. Then foward the lot.
Animal
cheeta wrote:
there is one way.. thats Gmail drive...

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

now u can save all the email of outlook... then just save them on gmail drive...

That is by far the best suggestion... why didn't I think of that!?!?

If you export all the emails to .eml format then ditch them onto your Gmail Drive, they'll still show up as "from" you and be dated as the time you uploaded them. However, when you open the emails, you should still get the fully formatted email displayed without having to re-download the attachments.
jovemac
What I could suggest is that configure gmail in our outlook and replace the outlook files here in gmail outlook folders. so that you will be able to acess all the mails through gmail. But its not possible to transfer or acess through web. Only mannual. Please try and let me know the feedback.
Animal
jovemac wrote:
What I could suggest is that configure gmail in our outlook and replace the outlook files here in gmail outlook folders. so that you will be able to acess all the mails through gmail. But its not possible to transfer or acess through web. Only mannual. Please try and let me know the feedback.

If you do this, you won't be able to upload your emails to Gmail - it doesn't work that way. Your Outlook installation keeps mail on your hard disk, where Gmail stores mail on the web. You are correct that you can check email through Gmail using Outlook, but it's a one-way process - you can download email but you can't upload it.
headlong
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

It seems that nobody took a look at my second post. It is actually easy.

1. Install Mozilla Thundbird
2. Copy your emails from Outlook Express to Thundbird
3. Install Redirect extension of Thunderbird
4. Use the Redirect to move the emails to GMail.
5. Delete emails in Outlook Express and Thunderbird

Now you will find emails in Gmail with

the SAME TITLE, SENDER, RECEIVER, DATE, and TIME!
angelopc
If you own a domain name, you can set it up to use Gmail for your email service (Gmail for organizations). Install Thunderbird and import your Outlook emails into it. Then download the Google Email Uploader (you'll have to search for it). Use that to upload all of your emails from Thunderbird to Gmail.

I've done this with 8000 emails. It works great and, except for the domain name, it's all free!

Ed Coyne
www.angelopc.com