FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does anyone like writing?

atribute
I have picked up on writing, I used to hate it but I also started reading, my friend got me hooked and I had an idea that it would be fun to write, so im currently working on a book and I also write poems which is fun and relaxing.
leftofcenter
I write! That's actually what I'm using my website for, to display my writing. (I'm also using it for blogging and webgraphics, but whatev.) But yeah, I'm working on two books right now, with the hopes of eventually being published. Smile
crazedjill
I love to write, and always have. Someday I hope to be published. It's a dream of mine. Very Happy
SunburnedCactus
I find it difficult to be motivated enough to write something of reasonable length. I have the ideas, but I never make anything out of them.
grnsmilie
I have the same problem as Sunburned Cactus. Tons of ideas, so many it's hard to sleep at night, but I never seem to get past the first few pages.

I'm also a terrible self critic. I find myself rewriting the same paragraph over and over. Granted, when I finally finish it, it's stunning--well, in my opinion, at least--but that doesn't leave much energy for working on the rest of it.

I'm thinking of working on some short-shorts just to get myself used to actually finishing things, and then work my way up from there.
KungFuChris
SunburnedCactus wrote:
I find it difficult to be motivated enough to write something of reasonable length. I have the ideas, but I never make anything out of them.

Myself as well. Sometimes I think I could have a stab at it, however I can only get it started before I run out of steam and stop. Not so much because I run out of ideas, or no longer want to as such, just can't get myself to actually sit down and work on it.
babcon
I have tons of poems and short stories in paper and computers...

It was easy to write when I was young, but now, with all crazy necessities of a globalized world, I have difficult in search time ( and patience ) to write something...

Iīm working in a site to put my old texts in... But is hard to know if someone will have interest to read them...
aerialdreams
I absolutely adore the art of writing.. it's just too bad that I can't really write! -_____-;; Actually, my website is about my writings too, but you'll notice that there's absolutely NO writing on it anywhere!!!!! tsk tsk. It's very sad indeed. I am trying really really really hard to write, except my inspiration kept on eluding me, so I'm left with nothing but a shell of a story that I was started on 3 years ago... -________________-;;; I would really like to finish it one day because I believe it'll be a wonderful story, but alas, that day is not coming any time soon... Confused
Bist Master
Actually, I never used to like writing until a couple years ago. I don't really have much to say unless I were to tell you what I write about. Instead, go to my writing blog at: http://storiesbybist.blogspot.com/

Head over there if you wanna see my stuff!

P.S: Start at the bottom thought because that's where it all starts.
lycadia
That really is my problem in a nutshell. I enjoy coming up with settings and characters, but I don't do well with plotting, pacing and certain other primary parts of the art. It would probably help if I set out the conflict and antagonists and so on beforehand, but I never do. In my creative writing classes of course we learn How all that is supposed to be done, but when I do it "by the numbers" I immediately lose all interest in the whole thing. It's like it sucks the life right out of the project for me.
That's part of why I decided not to major in English and chose Psychology instead. I prefer to keep my writing -which I find is most enjoyable and most inspired when I work with someone else- as a pleasurable hobby, rather than risking a career writing things that would almost... abuse my muse, to coin a _deeply_ cheesey and dreadful phrase. Sure technically grinding out children's books or writing nonfiction or something else which might bring steady work but would be confining and demanding of my creativity would _writing_ but it wouldn't be what I want. I'd rather only write what I please and make my money with anothe skill.
In any case, for me writing is just a good way to unleash my creative impulses and indulge in escapism. I tend to mostly long rambling fiction, but I do poetry when the mood takes me. I even write the poetry certain characters might write, sometimes.
Though I've submitted poetry for local and school publication, I don't have the heart to submit any of my fiction, even the fiction that is well structured and reasonably short. I just don't even want to run the risk of bad feedback in that vein, as it were. Much better to enjoy the creation than to drudge through all the editting and then hope for the best. That's the heart of it really. I just like the writing itself, the creative exchange, the getting it out of my head and into text to reread and enjoy later, rather than worry what other's would think.
tengsoon
Yeah lycadia

I really like your attitude man, its not as if we write to please everyone in the world or to earn big bucks or to pass stupid english exams that think that "english" or "creativity" can actually be graded.

We write as a creative expression of our thoughts.

I think rambles are ok. IMO they are one of the most truthful things we can read about except they can sometimes be quite hard to make out. Like i remembered my friend's blog. It didn't have much "breaks" in the whole writing, just commas and ...s. Well who cares, it was still very emotive, it moved me into joining her cause!

Well, i also just picked up writing recently after 18 years of hating english. Hopefully in no time, we'll all be good to go. And lycadia, thanks for rambling ! Its still a little hard to read though Razz okok, just joking..
papamurphy
I like to write poetry and short stories. One day, perhaps when I am out of school I will attempt to write a novel. That is a dream of mine.
udaykamboj
I love to write and have indulged myself in poetry and currently am in the middle of a short story (my first), lets see how it turns out.
hades9366
I've been writing for somewhere between 5 and 10 years and I've had a few things published here and there, journalism, short stories etc. It is really hard maintaining the focus and discipline required to keep writing. It is a solitary art but I don't believe that anyone really writes for themselves, that's called a diary, and if that's all your aiming for then hey there's no pressure you don't even need to learn how to spell properly for that. Everyone else if they're honest is writing for an audience. Being conscious of exactly who your audience is is an important step in writing stuff that will engage them. First of all you have to get it down on paper don't stop for spelling mistakes or dying family members. Then once it's down you have to be willing to edit yourself brutally. I know there are writers who consider editing censorship of the most truthful ideas but I think most of those writers are engaged in narcissistic mastubatory self-reflection. Once it's down and you've edited it you have to learn how to abandon it.

Quote:
"A work of Literature is never finished, just abandoned." Gustave Flaubert
zjosie729
I love writing and reading. When I don't have ideas or ways to write, I just let the piece sit there, and in a while things just come to me.

I'm currently writing a book about wizards. To tell you the truth, my favorite thing is magic. I really wish that is actually real, it would be a lot of fun.
desertwind
I love to write. And I had written a few, and published a few.
ericbobson
Writing. It's the eternal wonder; the best invention ever. There will never be a substitute for writing. It allows such freedom of expression. You can channel your energy into someone else's life and pass on some of that energy to them. You can be as pretensive as you like. You can wrap youself up in a magical world, far from the harsh reality of modern life, and create something spectucular. It's beautiful really. I hope to be published one day, though I know that it's a long, long shot. So I like to use my webspace to put bits of my writing on... a sort of publishing in my own way.
BugBear
Heh i love reading alot. read tons of classics and such but still havn't gotten around to writing Wink [url=ajdskfasjgias gaisngoadsfg afdsgoifjg a odf gjoeirnaer oge rgoqeirng erog neri eoringqoei goeirng oargo dfijg oeiner ghoaifg adofigho eri goahrfgo iadfhgoidahfg oire hnfodijagdofmgiero g oeih rgoii hdfgoisahdfoi gaioerg hoeringo idafnogaihdf ogdfihg orieoieng kdjsf laskdjf alsdkjf iasdlfjw ielifjad lfisdjl f sdaifjsdifj dislfjiasd fidjfioaifhgo hroeaihgr esdjfklasd fjaksd fjiasglr iglisfdhglaisdf glarihg alihfsdgiaslf gjilrjalsdfhgla igfhlai dfg hlire ghliasdfngl aifgh alri hgtlafighliamfsdgliafg lahidsfgl ring lasifglasdfigh alsdihfg laisdfgnlirnglaif glaisfdhglirhg laiaksdfjglaskdjg askgj alfk gjiadf glrij jglaidfj glidfa gjladifj glaidfj glaidfjg lri jgidfalgiji ladfijg adfilgjdfligjladifjg dfliajg flidjg fdgijsngleri ge].[/url]......... hopefully it'll come soon as it's very important for college and such Embarassed
kany
Well i am not a guys who writes . I really love reading nice literature but writing is not my way.
The only thing that made me write was
Write an Essay Your Best Place or Your Trip to A mountain place or A Morining walk . Wink
And that is almost about 7 or 8 years ago when i had written something and after that well others can do that.
sniffass
I have a lot of things that I think would make good stories or reading, but I don't think highly enough of them to actually go to the trouble of making a book out of them. I just don't reckon people would buy my stuff, but having said that I enjoy writing if someone enjoys reading it. A bit like cooking, I like this because I can cook really tasty food easily and then the reward is seeing people gobble it up after, telling me it was better than any restaurant Very HappyVery Happy I like this.
greywanderer
I sometimes write these days, but I wrote a lot more in that period of 16-20 years old or so. It seems I had a lot more creative impulse, or fewer restrictions, then. Does anyone else feel this way?

Now I am writing and illustrating an English textbook for Brazilian students.
xoxmeholly
I love writing! I still hope to be an author once I've graduated high school (then college,) but I still would like to get a book published. I have 1 finished (except for editing.) All of my best friends have read it, and it's a really good book. I really went all out with the book, and created a gorgeous cover design with Adobe Photoshop. I still have a gazillion post-its in the book, and I really should finish editing, but writing is SO much funner. I called the book "Don't You Wish You Were Maddie?" It was about an 8th grader who realizes she has nothing in common with her social group.....I shouldn't go on about this....But then I started the sequel, "Acid Rain." My friends think the title doesn't really fit, but this morbid poem I made up sums it up, (I'm never a morbid person too; I'm peppy and upbeat,) here's the poem: Blood is Red, Bruises are blue, Acid Rain is Poison, and High School is too. A third book that I have started on (while I am in the middle of Acid Rain, no doubt) is still kind-of questionable. I don't know the title, and I don't know if it'll work out.

Now I am going to stop answering a question I wasn't asked (what do you write about?)
sprinqles
I like writing and I do write but sometimes I don't have the confidence to let others read what I wrote. Smile
Blaster
I wrote my own story. What do you write about. I wrote about me and my cousins. Very Happy It was a ton of things that went on in a year and i sumed it all up into a story.
Devang
I don't call myself as a very esteemed writer but somehow I try to write my own stuffs. I put down all my thoughts of happiness/anger/hate/love etc. in form of words and share it with all my friends at www.Liveboard.8my.com

I like reading creative stuffs and it inspires me too. I try to increase my vocabulary power so as I can put my thoughts in exact manner.

I would wish all the best to all those here who are planning to write their own book. Be sure, I would be the one to read you. So whenever you are finished with your book, just mail it to me or give me the link, if possible. I would try to comment my views on that.

You can also mail me (or send me the link) of your existing articles. It would inspire me and in return my comments might be helpful to you too.

Happy writing ! Laughing
igor123d
I enjoy writing in my spare time. Usually I do not write fiction, but rather non-fiction, especially short essays on topics that interest me. I find it relaxing and it's also good practice for the real world, (I will soon enter a university).
Ankaret
I love to write, though I find it's hard to have the free time for it often. I write lots of poetry because it doesn't take as big of a time commitment, but I would love to write a short story or even a novel before I die one day. Many incredible authors and other influences have inspired me to constantly see the world through other eyes and to generate new philosophical ideas and Id really love to get some of this stuff down one day (in a form other than poetry which is sometimes hard to fully understand).
timefree
That really is my problem in a nutshell. I enjoy coming up with settings and characters, but I don't do well with plotting, pacing and certain other primary parts of the art. It would probably help if I set out the conflict and antagonists and so on beforehand, but I never do. In my creative writing classes of course we learn How all that is supposed to be done, but when I do it "by the numbers" I immediately lose all interest in the whole thing. It's like it sucks the life right out of the project for me.
That's part of why I decided not to major in English and chose Psychology instead. I prefer to keep my writing -which I find is most enjoyable and most inspired when I work with someone else- as a pleasurable hobby, rather than risking a career writing things that would almost... abuse my muse, to coin a _deeply_ cheesey and dreadful phrase. Sure technically grinding out children's books or writing nonfiction or something else which might bring steady work but would be confining and demanding of my creativity would _writing_ but it wouldn't be what I want. I'd rather only write what I please and make my money with anothe skill.
In any case, for me writing is just a good way to unleash my creative impulses and indulge in escapism. I tend to mostly long rambling fiction, but I do poetry when the mood takes me. I even write the poetry certain characters might write, sometimes.
Though I've submitted poetry for local and school publication, I don't have the heart to submit any of my fiction, even the fiction that is well structured and reasonably short. I just don't even want to run the risk of bad feedback in that vein, as it were. Much better to enjoy the creation than to drudge through all the editting and then hope for the best. That's the heart of it really. I just like the writing itself, the creative exchange, the getting it out of my head and into text to reread and enjoy later, rather than worry what other's would think.

I don't call myself as a very esteemed writer but somehow I try to write my own stuffs. I put down all my thoughts of happiness/anger/hate/love etc. in form of words and share it with all my friends at www.Liveboard.8my.com

I like reading creative stuffs and it inspires me too. I try to increase my vocabulary power so as I can put my thoughts in exact manner.

I would wish all the best to all those here who are planning to write their own book. Be sure, I would be the one to read you. So whenever you are finished with your book, just mail it to me or give me the link, if possible. I would try to comment my views on that.

You can also mail me (or send me the link) of your existing articles. It would inspire me and in return my comments might be helpful to you too.

Happy writing !
Radar
I like writing, but everytime I start a story of reasonable length, I'll go through a phase where I remember why I like writing, and then I'll get to the phase where I remember why I don't write more often.

I like writing because it gives me a chance to create characters, places, stories, etc. - just have a 'What If' world and run with it, and see what happens. It's more fun when you get to the point where you can just let your characters do things, and see what happens, rather than letting the plot dictate what's going on - yes, character driven stories are very fun. And just throwing in details, and trying as hard as possible to make the world seem *real* is wonderful, when it works.

But eventually I come to realise that writing takes a lot of time, a lot of effort, and doesn't really have a grand pay off at the end, unless I can find someone interested enough to read what I've written. And then there's the process of editing it to try and make it better, once it's finished. A lot of work - yes, fun, I'm not going to deny that - but unless I'm particularly inspired, the original enthusiasm that I had seems to die.

Eh, I don't know. Normally I'm more positive about writing that this. Just reflecting on the fact that I've had a novel that needs editing that I haven't touched for quite some time now.
Sphaerenkern
SunburnedCactus wrote:

Yeah... same for me. It's not that I'm suddenly not motivated anymore, but at some point, I'll ask myself: What am I doing this for? And since it's not a lot of fun to me to write AND just a few people are going to read it, I rather stick to writing songs. Maybe you can't tell totally complex stories within one song, but writing and playing a song is much more fun to me plus I can do it with other people and I know much more people who listen to my songs than read my stories.
georgeodowd
I've been attempting to write off and on for most of my life. I never had any success at finishing anything until I broke down and did National Novel Writing Month. I won't say I wrote anything stunning, but it taught me how to work through the tough times. Now I am working on some other independent projects and running into some of my old traps - but I haven't abandoned them like I used to. I just need to learn how to use writing as an escape from stress and daily chores. Right now I can only write when things get boring - which is rare for me!
Radar
Yes, that's the beauty of National Novel Writing Month. Get rid of all your inhibitions, concerns, fears, and just write.

I will say that I do look forward to a time when I no longer have exams in the middle of November and can return to that great challenge Smile
Faraz
I love writing a lot! I used to text roleplay when I was in University. Now I have a job, so don't get enough time, but I miss it.
Moshkin_Khan
I do love reading, and have always wanted to write but I can never get round to it, even though I have loads of free time it seems I lose that doing all of nothing. Maybe I should force myself to sit and flesh out some ideas and find the motivation some day.
georgeodowd
Radar wrote:
Yes, that's the beauty of National Novel Writing Month. Get rid of all your inhibitions, concerns, fears, and just write.

I will say that I do look forward to a time when I no longer have exams in the middle of November and can return to that great challenge Smile

Ah, yes, I remember those days! I used to try to have my own NaNoWriMo in January, but somehow it just wasn't the same. Nothing like the magic of knowing other people are suffering with you (and obsessively watching your word count metre go up).
tdezellem
SunburnedCactus wrote:

Sunburned Cactus: Don't let length be a factor. There are many highly successful writers who write short stories, take for example Edgar Allen Poe or William Faulkner among many others. There are dozens of e-zines and publications that are much more willing to take a chance on a new author who writes short stories than publishing houses for new novelists
hangnhu
Does writing fanfiction counts?
Anyone here likes any type of fanfiction?