FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best ways to study

Wynand
Study Tips

I am a university student. I have read some topics on the net on how to improve your study time. Here are a few of my own tips:

1. Study in the mornings. The earlier the better. The brain is the freshest in the morning and can learn faster. In the evenings it is most likely that you are more tired. You are most likely to be more stressful in the evening because off all the day’s happenings.
2. It must be quit. Absolutely no music or TV. Research suggests that any kind of sounds distracts you no matter how calm it makes you.
3. Don’t be alone. By this I mean that you must have people in you surroundings so that you can’t become lonely. These people however must not be in the same room as you or must not be making any noise.
4. Have support. Do not go through this thing alone. Make friends and share you studying experiences with them.

I will update this list as I come to new conclusions. What are your tips
Slowhand
There are some good tips. The most of the teachers always tell it in my lessons. I also advise everyone to learn in the morning, if you do it you will have much better results. Wink
seanooi
maybe you could add another thing:
Be Determined
If you're not determined to study, no matter what environment you're in wouldn't do much help either. Laughing
Jayfarer
The noise thing is different for some people. I know some people who need some background noise to help them concentrate.
gonzo
Pay attention the first time so you don't have to read it again Shocked
DX-Blog
I can't concentrate on something if it's quiet. I get distracted by every single thing then. Even the TV remote could distract me then but the worst are the sound of birds and such. So I always have music on when learning.

As for time of the day, I learn best early in the evening since that's the time at which I'm most awake. After waking up I'm still like in a complete coma, walking around like a soulles creature Razz. Can't concentrate in any way like that in order to study.

Also, I should be alone when studying. If I study with people around me we'll end up talking instead of studying, so that won't help anything Razz.
tidruG
gonzo wrote:

Yeah, I agree... I (try to) pay attention in class, and I barely touched my books for the last round of tests, and I had the second highest total in class...
135/140, with 20/20 in 3 subjects, 19 in 3 and 18 in the last one.

However, when I'm studying, I make sure that I don't get too tensed about the test tomorrow. I also make sure that I maintain a casual, familiar environment around me so that nothing feels out of place when I study... but then again, Engineering subjects are such that you don't need to really sit and study them. Once you've got the basic concept, all you have to do is to be able to apply it to the numerical problems and other such questions.
nilsmo
I don't study...
Quote:
1. Study in the mornings. The earlier the better. The brain is the freshest in the morning and can learn faster. In the evenings it is most likely that you are more tired. You are most likely to be more stressful in the evening because off all the day’s happenings.

Sounds unscientific to me...
Quote:

3. Don’t be alone. By this I mean that you must have people in you surroundings so that you can’t become lonely. These people however must not be in the same room as you or must not be making any noise.

How does that help?
And of course, how you study depends on the person.
naz
Wynand wrote:
Study Tips

I am a university student. I have read some topics on the net on how to improve your study time. Here are a few of my own tips:

2. It must be quit. Absolutely no music or TV. Research suggests that any kind of sounds distracts you no matter how calm it makes you.
4. Have support. Do not go through this thing alone. Make friends and share you studying experiences with them.

I study with exactly the opposite way...
Qwertyip
hehhe... i study exactly the opposite too.

I'm always late for school in the morning cause i sleep in.... and on weekends i dont get up untill after 12... unless i'm meeting someone worth getting up for lol..

I always revise with music on .. and my guitar at hand .. and msn convos..

I revise independantly ... if i need help... i find it myself.

And i'm always alone doing my homework .. cause if i have someone round.. i'm preoccupied Wink lol.
Jeslyn
Studying the morning seems like it would be a good tip. But everything else, I do the opposite too. Like, I study with the mp3 player or televison blasting, I'm usually alone - but I'm starting to think that studying in a library instead of my dorm would be a better decision, and I don't have support, and I don't really need it. But the first tip, and the don't be alone could definitely prove helpful for me, I'll try it out.
PureSimpleNatural
I'm not sure a standard set of study tips will work for each person. Everybody has their own way really... I guess the best advice would be is to take care of yourself so you can maximize the most of your brain power:

1. eat well - sleep well
2. have fun - avoid stress
3. avoid stimulants

If I remember correctly, my most preferred method of study was to mentally capture my study notes, almost like a screen capture to my brain. Then when I came across a question I didn't immediately know the answer to, I could flip to the answer. Sounds strange, but it worked really well in Biology.
Da Rossa
Study is one of the biggest of my problems. I study physics at UnB (University of Brasília). I can't say the subjects are the easiest, but I'm very late in my course. I'm in the sixth of nine semesters, but only a few people do it in 9. Anyway, I see my first-class mates advanced in course, while I'm here, still suffering at the calculus 2...

Here's a small story about me and the study:
And I've found out that I may have ADD (Attention Deficiency Disturbance). Don't know the precise name in English, but you can figure it out:
I was reading a chapter in Classic Mechanics about the projectiles, the author was discribing a baseball game to analyse the ball bidimentional movement, whilst telling a story about an American team that used some king of strategy...... that was led to victory. In Portuguese, my language, 'victory' is the same as "Victoria" in English, excluding the "c" = Vitória. Vitória is the name of the girl that dismissed me in that period, then I got very upset about it. Then, I kept reading the page, letting my eyes go throught the words... without paying attention anymore. I finished the page and thought "Duh, I've already finished it, but, what the hell had I learnt here??" Then, I had to go back from the zero, restart reading and thinking everything and, of course, I got tired of doing that same boring thing (I like my course, but reading repeatedly is really boring) and screwed myself in the exam. In the test I was still thinking about her, Vitória, what increased the size of the frustation.

Does anyone here know a procedure I can take to avoid feeling the effects of misattention while studying, without having to find a psychologist?
I would be thankful!! Very Happy
theo
i agree
that's my way of study
madsencarl
Wynand wrote:
It must be quiet. Absolutely no music or TV.

I study with Eminem pumping through my stereo. And I'm fine.
acamas
If your serious about studying this is what you have to do. I went to a class last year which explained best ways to study and some worked for me.

1. Listen to Classical Dvorak music. Scientists found it is best as it is paced at the same speed as your brain absorbs information.
2. Have a 5 minute break every half hour. People at our age dont really have long attention spans and end up waisting time you have to study to your full potential.
3. Before you start you should plan where you want to be in 30 minutes at the end when u have a break if you got to where you wanted to you should spoil yourself. Ie (have a chocolate biscuit or something)
4. Dont stay up late and wake up early and study. You are more livly in the morning.
5. If you go out or do something you should have some palm cards so if you have a sit down you can have a lok at them and remind yourself about a subject.
6. When reading at the end of each page you read you should think about the main points that were being discust. You then think about it more

Thats my suggestions to studying to your full potential.
Nyizsa
tidruG wrote:
Engineering subjects are such that you don't need to really sit and study them. Once you've got the basic concept, all you have to do is to be able to apply it to the numerical problems and other such questions.

Yes, absolutely right.
Some other important thigs: Do not study in the minutes just before the exam! You just confuse yourself and get stressed. And if you're stressed, no matter how much (or how) you learnt, you will produce crap. So relax, drink a few mugs of beer the evening before (not too much!), then go there, speak, and pass!
PS: Seems that we have a lot of engineers / engineering students here on Frihost, doesn't it?
Da Rossa
Thanks, good tips too! New suggestions are welcome! Very Happy
guissmo
since most of us know a lot about computers, why not make a MS Word Reviewer for ourselves? that way, we type in what we study, we search for pics, and the best thing about it is that when we need it in the future, you just click the print sign and you have it!

...or you can do a powerpoint.
windval
um........

i cannot get up on time in the morning

so

what so i do ?
guissmo
for a few months, i slept at 7pm then wake up at 3am, then do all schoolwork. the only problem about that is all group works can't be done, unless you convince your groupmates to wake up at 3.
qarasena
thx , man
but i find difficulty in studying at morning
DX-Blog
tidruG wrote:
gonzo wrote:
Engineering subjects are such that you don't need to really sit and study them. Once you've got the basic concept, all you have to do is to be able to apply it to the numerical problems and other such questions.

Yeh, true. Your study method completely depends on what your studying. In my case I'm studying medicine, there's not really a basic concept to hang on to and apply further, you will just have to keep on studying and take up more and more information. Whilst in example on high school when I was studying for things like math, it was like read it once and that's that, just know how to apply the formula's further on and your done.
Srs2388
I will be studying ALOT...for awhile I have to take the ACT this year Geometry end of course.... and end of course literacy exam too I have to score at-least 200...
and the chapter test (which arn't as big) but to do good on those I have to study everything =(
birell
acamas wrote:

2. Have a 5 minute break every half hour. People at our age dont really have long attention spans and end up waisting time you have to study to your full potential.

This is a good tip, I was supposed to write a paper on buddhism and hinduism, but my computer had broken down so i couldn´t play music from it. So had to play the music from my LP-player and since you then have to go and flip or change the record. From that i got those short breaks and i did one weeks work in one evening.
nunosilva
well my best way to study is at a quiet place. I can't study with noise around me. Actually i'm pursuing MCSA and it requires a lot of time, so studying with friends ends up to be better cause we can pratice together.
MalvagioAddict
Technically, every person has a different styles of studying as we all learned from this thread.

Me basically, I'm more of a left side brainer, so I study better when I'm actually listening to music or television on the background, for example, if i related a certain topic to a certain type of song or programs that I watched. I tend to recall it better that way.

I also don't prefer studying ahead, as I tend to get better grades when it comes to an exams if I cram, of course after which the knowledge goes out the window.

Whether or not I want to study with myself or with others it depends on the subject actually, so a support group would not really be necessary if I was studying Literature and Biology. BUt Physics and any form of mathematics, I definitely need a study partner.

as they say, Different strokes for different folks.
ahmad
Thats exactly what I follow

SILENCE Very Happy
Neo7
Studing in a group and having fun is better.

Those devices that link the text with some funny or odd thing works fine as well.
Wd_removed
The earlier the better?

So your saying if I go to bed at 11PM and wake up at 3 in the morning I'll be fresh as a daisy, ready to spring downstairs switch on the light and get down to some studying?
Dragate
lol i'm sure he meant ur fresher in the morning thats all... but seriously... i'm dead in the morning... all rest tips are good but u should add that a break is needed in the mid somewhere
leat397
I am weired and freaky.
I need pair of earphone when I study and listening songs. whatever pop songs or classicals. I don't know why that makes me concentrate in my studying very much.
guissmo
Welliottdude wrote:
The earlier the better?

So your saying if I go to bed at 11PM and wake up at 3 in the morning I'll be fresh as a daisy, ready to spring downstairs switch on the light and get down to some studying?

well, for me not really. you would be too sleepy to study.
lisa33144
Another comment about the earlier the better thing...

Isn't it supposed to be good to read things over before you go to bed? It's supposed to stick in your mind that way. Well unless you are over tired, then that's not usually the best idea.

Another tip: read notes over after class, it helps the information stick a lot better
Wynand
Finally, after 12 years at school and 3 years at university I came up with the following theorie. It is the ultimate in study technique and it is 100% fail and foolproof. The technique is called the ABC technique and you will be surprised to find what stands are for.

Here it follows:

Apply ass to Base of Chair

If it worked for me it will work for you. No matter how or when you do it. Just do it. Sitting here and readings tips don’t count – you already know the answers
Da Rossa
Wynand wrote:
Finally, after 12 years at school and 3 years at university I came up with the following theorie. It is the ultimate in study technique and it is 100% fail and foolproof. The technique is called the ABC technique and you will be surprised to find what stands are for.

Here it follows:

Apply *** to Base of Chair

If it worked for me it will work for you. No matter how or when you do it. Just do it. Sitting here and readings tips don’t count – you already know the answers

You've just messed even more with me. *** stands for....? Or would that me an edition?
Wynand
I did not block the word intentionally. Frihost did. The word is that thing that you sit on.

.A.$.$.
poisonhzkj
i study exactly the opposite. Laughing
kikass
i guess i am weird too! Laughing i study in a dark room with just my table lamp for light.... and music is always (ALWAYS) playing... but never hard rock.. coz then i just listen to the music Embarassed

@wynand... "Apply *** to Base of Chair" ---> amazing logic! will always remember !!! Smile
skygaia
There are really many ways like many posts above....

But I think it's very important to get some minds such self-confidence, future goals and knowing where I am and what I am doing now.
aceflooder
i have a book for studying a major exam and in contents it says:

1.Selecting a Target
2.Power of Believing
3.Optimistic Thinking
4.Decisiveness
5.Concentration
6.Defeating Excitement
7.Lowering Stress and Worry

and a note from me:"Learn in the lesson"
imraanio
The obvious answer is whatever works best for you, but i'm curious as to how everyone else does it.

I just got my first semester grades and I did not do as well as I had hoped. While not horrible, I got all B's. I was right around the mean in every class so all my final number scores were very close. Obviously I would like to get
A's and I believe I am capable of it. With all my grades being clumped together (4 point difference between highest and lowest, as opposed to some friends of mine who had as much as a 20 point difference), I feel that my problem is not a lack of understanding of the material but rather a preparation issue. Thus, I am looking for a better way to study.

Last semester I briefed every case and made my outlines at the end of the semester. I did not join a study group b/c I prefer to study alone and I did not use much in the way of study aids.

This semester, I feel that I need to try something different in order to improve. I thought I would try book-briefing and making my outlines as I go along, while constantly reviewing with study aids. I also think I am going to join a study group, not so much to make an outline with other people, but rather to just talk about practice problems.

I am curious to find out what other people did and how it worked. Since the semester just started, I want to get into a solid routine without experimenting too much. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
izimngcubes15
Wynand wrote:
Study Tips

Thanks for the great tips! I really need those! For SAT, since I am really bad at studying and concentrating....but I won't find any good friends to study with though... Sad
tylergram
Deleted
allanxiao
I agree with 1 and 2, 3 and 4 is just nothing useful.
I think the best way to study is to have a goal before you start doing anything, don't stop studying until you achieve that goal.
budddha
I've just finished my junior year of highschool. I took 4 AP's and let me tell you, the key to studying is a clear mind and a fridge full of delicious, mind numbing energy drinks. Look up drinks called BAWLS, bookoo, rockstar juiced and a spicy ginger ale called blenheims kept me awake through sheer spiciness. This ^ is how i got through the most demanding of my highschool years.
ujjwalshrestha
there is no best way ... it's what works best for you
foumy6
My preferred way of studying is relaxing and listening to music and just slowly going over all my notes a little bit at a time so that I can actually remember them.
busaboss
Most people prefer studying in a silent place. I also like that kind of setting but when my exams are ongoing, I find it easier studying no my way to school when I am riding jeepneys. It really depends on what a person likes best or where he/she is comfortable with. Very Happy
spinout
the best way to study is to watch youtube!

I just watched a movie about tuning Holley Carburators. So now I know!
TheGremlyn
I seem to do well when I'm listening to music since that becomes background noise to me and it blocks out all other inconsistent noises that happen around me (phones ringing, dogs barking, people talking, tv noise). I also find that when I took down notes from a book or online material or if I re did my notes from class and highlighted them I found I retained the knowledge. Also helps if you're not hungry or tired or too full of have to go to the bathroom. Those sensations can distract you and you won't be thinking about what you're learning, you'll be thinking about that sandwich you could make or how badly you need to go to the bathroom.

I'm not sure what else has helped me in the past.
abhizz
Wynand wrote:
Study Tips

I'm always listening light musics when i'm studying. Is that affect my studies?
abramlinkens
To study well it is necessary to keep concentration on the study. The more you have concentration power you can study well and can get good result. The time period of early morning is the best time for studying well.
justinesparm
I think that the morning's time is good and suitable for study, because in morning our mind feels relax and very fresh. so we can learn very easily anything, one other thing is that eat healthy foods if you wants to study.
chatrack
Hi,

When you have more thing to study in short time, especially in exam coming days, Best way\
is to raise up early in morning and study till your breakfast. Deep night learning will slow down
study. I also suggest to take a quick look on the main heading and topic that you
have scheduled to study on next morning, just before you go to bed.

Sleep is a process, where mind rearrange, every experience you have in your day time activities.
Just like de-fragmentation in computer.

Make a small note of what you have studied. Take a look at it every day, and try to recollect
as much as you can. If it not possible completely to recollect, have a glance on the old topic and that will re-power your memory again.
rjraaz
chatrack wrote:
Hi,

When you have more thing to study in short time, especially in exam coming days, Best way\
is to raise up early in morning and study till your breakfast. Deep night learning will slow down
study. I also suggest to take a quick look on the main heading and topic that you
have scheduled to study on next morning, just before you go to bed.

Sleep is a process, where mind rearrange, every experience you have in your day time activities.
Just like de-fragmentation in computer.

Make a small note of what you have studied. Take a look at it every day, and try to recollect
as much as you can. If it not possible completely to recollect, have a glance on the old topic and that will re-power your memory again.

All those old time idealistic way of study, those always heard from old peoples from family or surrounding. Since, we are now living in a competitive world so it is not possible for us to do double labor for a single task. I mean to say that first we take rough notes at coaching colleges then prepare our own notes at home, it is quite time consuming and we do not have that much time. For while taking notes at class use spiral books that are able to attach extra paper or to remove unnecessary paper out from it. By that we do not need to prepare notes for whole portion of the chapter of topic.

And "Early to Bed and Early to Rise makes man healthy, wealthy and wise", as per according to me this saying is not just to get wake up early in the morning. I think this saying just for to indicating that be proper in time and schedule. I mean to say that our routine must be scheduled by providing proper time for brain and body to get relaxed.
facebook222
ok for me the best plan for studying is to study at night from 10pm till 5am....put the lights on in your room and if there is a tv turn it on too but without volume...u will hav problems first when studying at night but after 4 days u will get used to it and u will understand everything quickly...but beware if you have school in the morning or university to follow my advice....i tried this plan in university for 4 years and i came up with 3.3/4 gpa.....i only had 3 days in the week for my uni so my plan worked..try it if u want but dont surrender quickly u'll get used to it and u'll like studying at night