FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


DVD -R and DVD +R





amirkpe
I want to know main diffrences between DVD-R and DVD+R ....
helk
It makes equally little difference if your discs are bad quality.
I use sony's both + and _. No difference for me. Next buy will simply be taiyo yudens.

Sorry if that didnt help Very Happy


wikipedia wrote:


There are a number of significant technical differences between the dash and plus formats, and although most consumers would not notice the difference, the plus format is considered by some to be better engineered.


DVD+R:
*it is possible to use bitsetting to increase the compatibility of DVD+R media
*In October of 2003, it was demonstrated that double layer technology could be used with a DVD+R disc to nearly double the capacity to 8.5 GB per disc.
*The format was developed by a coalition of corporations, known as the DVD+RW Alliance, in mid 2002. Since the DVD+R format is a competing format to the DVD-R format, which is developed by the DVD Forum, it has not been approved by the DVD Forum, which claims that the DVD+R format is not an official DVD format.

DVD-R:
*In a DVD-R, the addressing (the determination of location of the laser beam on the disc) is done with additional pits and lands (called land pre-pits) in the areas between the grooves. The groove on a DVD-R disc has a constant wobble frequency used for motor control etc.
*The DVD-R format was developed by Pioneer in autumn of 1997. It is supported by most DVD players, and is approved by the DVD Forum.
*DVD-R discs are composed of two 0.6 mm polycarbonate discs, bonded with an adhesive to each other. One contains the laser guiding groove and is coated with the recording dye and a silver, silver alloy or gold reflector. The other one (for single-sided discs) is an ungrooved "dummy" disc to assure mechanical stability of the sandwich structure, and compatibility with the compact disc standard geometry which requires a total disc thickness of about 1.2 mm. Double-sided discs have two grooved, recordable disc sides, and require the user to flip the disc to access the other side.
Donutey
+ is generally more of a video format (for dvd movies etc.) because almost all dvd players will play it...

- is more of a data format...

however, in almost all cases both will work.
shinyaishi
but i think - is good for any dvd players
pe46
i think -R can't rewrite but +R can rewrite.
Loghete
Quote:
i think -R can't rewrite but +R can rewrite.


Sorry, you're wrong. CD-RW is the one you can rewrite.

I've never noticed any CD+R.. I don't think I've ever seen any, I just use CD-R80.
thiamshui
Loghete wrote:
Quote:
i think -R can't rewrite but +R can rewrite.


Sorry, you're wrong. CD-RW is the one you can rewrite.

I've never noticed any CD+R.. I don't think I've ever seen any, I just use CD-R80.

Laughing this thread is talking about DVDs.. there are no CD+s or CD-s.. There are only CD-Rs (Compact Disc Recordables) and CD-RW (Compact Disc Rewritables)..

pe46 wrote:
i think -R can't rewrite but +R can rewrite.

DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs CANNOT rewrite.. DVD+RWs and DVD-RWs CAN rewrite.. Smile

There is a competition between two formats, the DVD-R/DVD-RW and the DVD+R/DVD+RW..

Well,
1. The level of compatibility for both formats in standalone DVD players is similar.
2. DVD+RW has some "better" features than DVD-RW such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing. DVD+RWs are superior to DVD-RWs. See: (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113)
3. One potential advantage of the DVD+RW format is Mount Rainier (DVD+MRW) drag-and-drop file access support planned for Vist. Older DVD+RW drives do not support this function, but newer drives may.

Well, if you are choosing a DVD burner, get a dual burner that supports both format.. Or if you have to choose between the two, get the DVD+ burners.. Media-wise, it is wise to get the DVD+RW for rewritables and either DVD+R or DVD-R for recordables..

(If you all want to know more about CDs and DVDs and the technologies, take a look at this site: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/search/A/ .. There are a no of useful articles there..)
Animal
Moved from Software to Hardware forum.
Kd527
I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've used both formats. My iBook can read and burn them all, so I don't really care too much. But I have always wondered the differences anyway. Now it's been answered....Wink
Chris24
dvd-r plays in almost all dvd players.

dvd+r only plays in the newer dvd players.

I know cause I have both and have had to learn firsthand
Scorpio
I frankly cant seem to appreciate the difference between them
springbok
The only real difference that I have noticed is that DVD-R are slightly cheaper than DVD+R. Bring on the consumer wars ...

Also i have heard it rumoured that standalone DVD recorders work better with DVD+R. Not confirmed, can anyone confirm this?
Slick
i find that both - and + are the same price if perchased from the same place, if theres a difference there ripping you off...

i get 100 - or + for about 15 GBP

for pc use i find theres no real difference performance wise between the 2, but if using on a home dvd system then the actual system tends to have a preference, my g/f's dvd player in her room plays - better, if i use + it tends to stutter slighty every 2 seconds!

however the player downstairs likes the +

a case of trial and error

ive also found that testing with a Rw is pointless, many times i have burnt something to a RW and then it wont work on the normal R

with the price of the normal Rs being so cheap i don't worry about it!
Traveller
Donutey wrote:
+ is generally more of a video format (for dvd movies etc.) because almost all dvd players will play it...

- is more of a data format...

however, in almost all cases both will work.

In a PC, perhaps, but my friend's stand-alone VHS/DVD dubbing machine will only work with DVD-R, if that's any indication.
psycosquirrel
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/2279
Traveller
psycosquirrel wrote:
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/2279

Try http://www.videohelp.com/dvd instead. It has more up-to-date information (such as the fact that there ARE dual layer DVD-R discs).
Xcelerate
DVD-R + Burned disc = DVD-Video

DVD+R + Burned disc = Burnt DVD+R

I'm in favor of the -R's, simply because I find they have better compatibility. I think it has 90 something percent compatibility and DVD+R has 80 something. They're usually the same price. Of course, then again, all these posts differ on what the two do, so whichever label looks cooler.

As for extracting video, a teacher had me try and extract footage from a DVD+R disc she had once and it was futile. I've had more success with DVD-Rs in this area too.
ForceRun
Basicly DVD-R was the first standard, and the - did'nt mean anything, later the DVD+R came out, and so thats about all there is to it. The DVD-R is the older therefore more combatitable of the two, Both sell for about the same, with the same speeds and everything. I use DVD+R mainly because I have found them cheaper and also they can be burn as a DVD-R. So the best of two worlds. Just a note burn DVD-ROM for the best player combatablity. Idea
exarkun
ForceRun wrote:
Basicly DVD-R was the first standard, and the - did'nt mean anything, later the DVD+R came out, and so thats about all there is to it. The DVD-R is the older therefore more combatitable of the two, Both sell for about the same, with the same speeds and everything. I use DVD+R mainly because I have found them cheaper and also they can be burn as a DVD-R. So the best of two worlds. Just a note burn DVD-ROM for the best player combatablity. Idea


but I think that one of them is not just going to be stop production.
angelussum
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd is the best resource to use to understand what the difference is.

Personally, I use to have both, but now just have a bunch of DVD-R. Most things made these days are compatible with both. The problems comes if you have an older computer, or dvd machine. Then it simply won't read it.
Sachsengulli
Dash media often has about 7 MB bigger capacity. I still prefer plus media for the possibility to bitset and not saving the burner's name and SN though. It doesn't make much difference nowadays, with Super Multi burners everywhere though.

Anyway I prefer TY or Verbatim/MCC/MKM when it comes to discs.
britto
There is not a great deal of difference about DVD=R and DVD-R apart from the encoding. It used to be that only some brands supported one and other brands the other, just like VHS and BETA tapes.

All I could say is that if u are planning to use the disks in an older dvd device check that it doesn't only support one.
time_ar
Well, I think DVD+R is more compatible since you can burn it as DVDROM (booktype).

amirkpe wrote:
I want to know main diffrences between DVD-R and DVD+R ....
Philip
well, since u guys never got problem on using + or -,
i had. i tried Copying Dvd Film from + to - , but my Nero can;t
*I mean Copy DVD*

any idea ?
edit_text
I have always heard that DVD-R have the greater compatibility. In my experience, I have to agree. I have burnt just about every kind of thing you can think of to a DVD. The question of legality aside, I have found that the -R media is better accepted by my devices. On the flip side I have found that the +RW work better for me if I need to use a rewriteable disk. Just my two cents.

e_t
Related topics
Backing Up Your DVD9 to DVD-R 4.5gb Discs
Problem with burning DVD-R
DVD+R DL reconnus en simple couche ?
split 6gb iso burn into 2 dvd-r
1080p on dvd-r
DVD-R not enough space :(
The DVD-R or DVD+R, which is best for data backup ?
DVD-R and DVD+R, Which is much better ?
[Guide] DVD Recordable Format
DVD Burn Question
HP DVD writer 400c
18x DVD writer!!!
dvd writer
Graveur de DVD - Dysfonctionnement, mais de quelle nature ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.