FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to set up a wiki

snjripp
I am trying to set up a wiki. I have tried a couple of times to set phpwiki up manually, but I am unable to get everything right at the same time. Would someone be nice enough to enlighten me?

How do I set up mysql correctly, and then how do I call the database within my config.ini?

I have tried to fiind information in the forums, but it is either dependent on fantasico, which as far as I can tell is not supported on server 2 or it is treated flippantly. I am caught in between. I want to set it up. I would love to know how to do it manually, but will power alone has not been enough... any resources, comments, or guidance would be most welcome.

Cheers
photon
firstly , i dont think phpwiki is the best one around. try other alternatives like mediawiki, Docuwiki, and TikiWiki. of all these i think docuwiki is one of the best. and its easy to install and configure

sitepoint had an article on wikis and they chose docuwiki as the best. check out the article for more info

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/10/11/pick-of-the-wikis-dokuwiki/
mckenneth
my sugestion is, to juz use WAMPSERVER (wamp) or juz XAMPP... they work great!... and you dont have to do any configuring thingy... you juz have to install the software and thats it! phpwiki makes U do lots of stuff... so yhea!.. try that!... you may like it
Daniel15
Use MediaWiki, it's easy to set up, and is the same software used by Wikipedia.

Just download the latest package (MediaWiki 1.5.x) as a .tar.gz and upload the .tar.gz straight to your account. Unarchive the .tar.gz file in DirectAdmin, and then rename the folder to whatever you want.

Create a database for it, and then go to the address you extracted it to. For example, if you extracted it to /public_html/mediawiki, then you'd go to http://[yoursite].frih.net/mediawiki/. It will run the installer. Just follow the instructions.

You can see the MediaWiki Documentation at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents . This includes documentation for installation and administration, as well as a guide for editors (which you may find here)

The result: http://www.dansoftaustralia.net/codingwiki/index.php/Main_Page is a programming Wiki I'm working on with another web host.
snjripp
These suggestions have been really helpful. Thanks for all of it.

When I create a database, do I need to name its location, or is there a defauly location on the localhost that is assumed?

Thanks again.

Cheers
Daniel15
Location? You mean host name? If so, just use 'localhost'

You do need to put a database name, though. Name it 'wiki' or similar. Your username is prepended to the database name, so if you use 'wiki' for the name, it will be '[username]_wiki' (eg. snjripp_wiki if snjripp is your DirectAdmin username).
snjripp
Thanks. That too was helpful. I think it is a deal where some actions are done automatically but not everything. I appreciate the help.
snjripp
Sorry if all this makes it feel like we are at the bottom of a scrum, but I am installing wikimedia and am unable to login as the root or a regular user. I think the passwords check out and the user names. Did I set something wroing along the way?
snjripp
I got through the root problem, I think. Now this:

Error selecting database : 1044 Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'XXX_XXX'

I am a study of ineptitude...
snjripp
I got the program to work finally. It was a process of trial and error, and mostly error. It turns out that only one of my mySQL databases actually existed though I had created three. Only one of them had any size. the other two were 0 kb. Does anyone know why this would be?

In the end, I am making headway. I appreciate the help. I am learning
KingPuff
This is an old topic, but I am interested in it, so I am posting here to tag it.