FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to turn a nice thought into a serious idea?

pansophia
I have been doing some web work for a person who wants to use the web to challenge rankism (abuse of rank/title/positional power) in society. His reply to rankism is "operationalize the golden rule" - this is a rather vague idea, basically motivational speaking.

However, I think "rankism" is a useful concept, and I'd like to come up with more effective ways to talk about it. To discourage rankism, first people have to feel like it's a safe topic to bring up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give the idea of rankism a little more gravity, so people will be taken seriously if they bring it up?
gonzo
since 99% fears responsibilty and most people want to be lead I think you'll find it a bit more difficult to escape the effects of being governed
pansophia
I agree - that's why I'm looking for a more workable way to frame the idea. I think government (in the U.S.) tries to convince people that they only way they can have legal rights and protections is to trade their dignity for it. I think this done to discourage people from utilizing protection: it's seen as morally degrading to need help. The problem is that there are power imbalances in the world, and people do need help to maintain their rights. As a result, they accept the trade off in dignity, and they think this is "just the way the world is".

I don't think the world is necessarily rankist: I think it's structured that way, and people get roped into supporting it through the "protection" trade off mentioned above. If people have the concept of rankism in mind, though, they will be conscious of that trade off and perhaps start questioning it.