FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Graffiti

madsencarl
Yes, the artform labelled with vandalism. However, contrary to popular belief, not all graffiti is illegal Shocked
Legal graffiti makes many people rich and famous, although you usually don't hear about it - the government likes to keep it under wraps, in fear of it promoting vandalism.
I do graffiti art, but not on streets (unless, of course, legal). I do it in my blackbook (sketch book, used for artistic drawing), and when I am good enough I hope to do some legal work, and canvas work to sell at art expos.
My deviantart website is [url]madsencarl.deviantart.com[/url].

What are your views on graffiti? Should all types of it be allowed, and should people be able to pay to have pieces (large, refined, finished graffiti art) on their shops and houses?
krazycapital
If you are doing it leagaly, and people don't mind, I think its fine. The one building around where I live was completely covered in graffiti illegaly, and it took 100-200 $'s to paint over. Most of it was, well, bad stuff to say the least. I myself do some graffiti art (in notebooks), so I think it would be fine to display on houses, as long as people around didn't mind. Don't have a site yet though. Sad
Tomppe
My view of grafitti is the spray paintings on walls and some statues. Its illegal if you don't got permisson to do it.
Example in our city they let the taggers paint on some tanks and ugly industrial buildigs.. It really cool to look at the big fantasies they got Smile And the grafitti font is just fantastic! Iv'e never tried to do grafitti on walls, but i should try because i really like painting, grafik etc. Niiice Razz But not on wrong places Razz Smile
a_dubDesign
Tomppe wrote:

Example in our city they let the taggers paint on some tanks and ugly industrial buildigs.

thats awesome that they let them do that. I personally enjoy being stuck by trains because they always have some sweet work. I've found myself trying to take pictures of them, but they never turn out.
I personally am not great at at, but have been trying to do more graffiti stuff in my sketch book, and its getting better.
josherjohn
Tomppe wrote:
Example in our city they let the taggers paint on some tanks and ugly industrial buildigs.. It really cool to look at the big fantasies they got Smile And the grafitti font is just fantastic!

That's so cool. We have nothing like that here.
Tomppe
josherjohn wrote:
Tomppe wrote:
Example in our city they let the taggers paint on some tanks and ugly industrial buildigs.. It really cool to look at the big fantasies they got Smile And the grafitti font is just fantastic!

That's so cool. We have nothing like that here.

I have seen it in other places too that they arrange things like that.. That's an good solution that they let people spray on the industrial buildings because they reduce the spray-tags on statues etc. And it's a place for teens to get togehter. Smile Razz Very Happy
big d
i think graffiti has its place...but i do believe it is wrong for someone to spray their tag in public buildings just for fun because i do believe that someone might not have the same idea that graffiti is art...
madsencarl
Tomppe wrote:
Example in our city they let the taggers paint on some tanks and ugly industrial buildigs.

Please, not called taggers, called writers.

Tomppe wrote:
It really cool to look at the big fantasies they got

They're called pieces. There are tags, which are the small words you see. There are throw-ups, which are usually bubble letters, sometimes with a fill. There are pieces, which are the impressive pieces of art usually on the side of train tracks (not usually on the sides of trains themselves - they're throwies). And then there are murals - pieces, usually with art mixed in that cover all or most of the side of a buildings.
a_dubDesign
They're called pieces. There are tags, which are the small words you see. There are throw-ups, which are usually bubble letters, sometimes with a fill. There are pieces, which are the impressive pieces of art usually on the side of train tracks (not usually on the sides of trains themselves - they're throwies). And then there are murals - pieces, usually with art mixed in that cover all or most of the side of a buildings.[/quote]

dang, didn't know there were all those different terms, thats cool.
830b
My view on graffiti may be a little bias since i am an artist. But I love the graffiti. It's an artform that's unique in itself and has it's own culture. All types of graffiti shouldn't be allowed just because all graffiti isn't meant as an artistic expression. But the real artistic stuff that is normally seen on trains and walls and sometimes in actual galleries if it's allowed in should be. I'd put down some money for a piece on canvas or a big mural in my future house Very Happy That type of art would really sell quickly if it got in the right places and marketed well.
albusa
ya man that is graffitti look man i love to do it but i dont think is vandalism because it is an expression of art and it is not a crime
LoveMachine
albusa wrote:
ya man that is graffitti look man i love to do it but i dont think is vandalism because it is an expression of art and it is not a crime

You have to learn where to draw the line though. I would be pissed if some punk came and sprayed paint all over my property. I don't care how nice it looks or whether or not it's "art." It doesn't need to be sprayed on my stuff. The cities feel the same way. It's not art or "sticking it to the man." It's vandalism. The way to combat this is for artists and cities to create joint ventures where artists have a place to write, and the city doesn't have to be cleaning up the sides of it's buildings every two weeks.

You don't have to damage property that doesn't belong to you to express yourself. You're just being a pain in the ass if you think you do.
phinguyen
itz all good though if you get permission. i mean in new york and L.A. you could tag up anything and it wont be a crime if you get consent. and alot of the owners want an urban look to the outside of their building and would be glad to have you tag it up as long az itz not gang related and is non offensive. i've been taggin fer yearz and i truely believe that iz an art form that doesnt get the enough recognition, mean some pieces are so sik that they should be framed and sold. i mean it iz a crime to deface property with some mumbojumbo but itz another thing when you're puttin up a piece of art.