FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's your Preferred Linux Distro and GUI

tony
I'm going to have to go with Arch Linux 0.7.1 Noodle + Xfce 4.2.3.2. How about other people...
harmonica
Firstly it was Mandrake 9.0 & KDE

then

Slackware 9.1 & Gnome

then

Slackware 10.0 & Gnome

then

Slackware 10.1 & Gnome

and now it is Ubuntu & Gnome.

Sometimes I also use some lightweight window managers like Xfce or Fluxbox. I actually used Blackbox short time on M$ Windows...Wink
Kydha
At the moment, I use Debian 3.1 with KDE.

edit : I forget the version...
kevin
Fedora & gnome
chennai
i like redhat linux & linspire
nopaniers
I like Debian and KDE.

Previously I had all different combinations, from Red Hat 4 upwards... I used to like FVWM simply because it was so small, but now I have a much more powerful computer I don't need to worry about that.

I also like the nice, clean look that KDE has although I worry about it not being completely free.
blueway
Distributions I preferred :

1. Fedora Core

2. Suse (OpenSuse)

3. Mandriva

4. Ubuntu

5. Debian

6. PC-Linux OS

7. PC-BSD (if you want bsd version)

8. Rangoli Linux (Indian version)

9. Linspire

10. Simply MEPIS
djclue917
1. I started with Kubuntu 5.04
2. I moved to Ubuntu 5.10 after Breezy was finally released.
3. I went back to Kubuntu (5.10) when KDE 3.5 was released.

I'll go with Kubuntu of course! Smile
GNOME, in its current state, is just... not good enough for me.
sunrise
Slackware and Xfce. I'm planning to switch to Gentoo soon.
DRock
Ubuntu 5.10 Gnome and KDE interface (kwin manager instead of metacity)
ignition
Ubuntu 5.10...have it on my system right now along with XP though I also like DSL just because of its size.
bkatz
OpenSuSe=the best

Ubuntu was very hard to set up, and OpenSuSe is just as good if not better I think. Cool
prongs_386
i havnt used linux in a few years, but mandrake for me was always the best option, my distribution had all the apps on the cds so i already had everything i needed just after an install. Very easy to get goign as well.
Zork538
My personal favorite is Ubuntu and Gnome.
djclue917
DRock wrote:

First of all, you cannot say "KDE interface" because your DE is actually GNOME...

Anyways, I'm just curious... What does Ubuntu look like when it uses KWin as its window manager instead of GNOME's Metacity?

May you please provide a screenshot...? Smile
I haven't been able to experiment with GNOME lately because I only use KDE now. Thanks!
Talk2Tom11
personally i prefer Suse 10.0 with Gnome as my linux operationg system.
after that it would be redhat.
desertwind
Debian Sarge + GNOME
SirDuncan
I use Gentoo. It is robust and powerfull. Very nice distribution.

www.gentoo.org
Cool
kjuvale
i love kubuntu and kde. its wonderfull.
Very Happy
oais
I loved Redhat, I think they have released a free version of that now called Fedora Core.
I have been looking out for some other distros, I found a Website called Linux from Scratch where you can compile your own distro by choosing the components, serviced, and features that you want in your distro, it's a bit time consuming as there is a pretty lengthy online manual to learn how to compile it. I might do that someday.
Lately, I also found a nice user-friendly one called 'Simply MEPIS', the Distro comes with a bootable CD with the whole OS that fits on a CD, you can take a look and feel of it before you install it. If you like it, you simple have to double click on the 'Install me' icon on the desktop. It is said that they have developed it from Debian's source code.
tony
Here's a pretty picture of arch on xfce I found.
PuNGS
In my long experience with Linux, only three weeks, I've only used Ubuntu + GNOME, but I don't like it too much... I'm thinking about going to another distro or another interface...
saiyeek
I am using Kubuntu.
Its nice I think.
win66
I love fedora core. Cool
DRock
djclue917 wrote:
DRock wrote:

First of all, you cannot say "KDE interface" because your DE is actually GNOME...

Anyways, I'm just curious... What does Ubuntu look like when it uses KWin as its window manager instead of GNOME's Metacity?

May you please provide a screenshot...? Smile
I haven't been able to experiment with GNOME lately because I only use KDE now. Thanks!

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=1734&original=1&c=2
tony
PuNGS wrote:
In my long experience with Linux, only three weeks, I've only used Ubuntu + GNOME, but I don't like it too much... I'm thinking about going to another distro or another interface...

i find gnome bloated. i'm not sure what windows managers come with ubuntu but if it comes with xfce or fluxbox, you should give one of those a shot. they run faster and are less ram-intensive than gnome or kde.
galbotrix
Open SUSE + KDE 3.5 + Super Karamba + moodin engine + Bhaghira plugins = My desktop

I believe with Plasma coming up in KDE 4, GNOME has hard time to catch up.

rgds

Sameer
tony
galbotrix wrote:
Open SUSE + KDE 3.5 + Super Karamba + moodin engine + Bhaghira plugins = My desktop

I believe with Plasma coming up in KDE 4, GNOME has hard time to catch up.

rgds

Sameer

anyone know when plasma's coming out?
ChargerBear
I recently had a nasty virus corrupt Windows XP on my desktop. I had alot of music and picture files on the hard drive. I found an old computer with a 10 Gb hard drive in it. I ripped it out and I installed it into my desktop right under the existing HD. I put a fresh copy of Windows XP on it and copied all the files I wanted to save on it. Then I installed Windows XP on the original hard drive. I copied all the files back on to the old HD and reformatted the 10 GB HD in FAT 32. I went and reviewed different Linux distros and settled on Slackware 8.1 for my first attempt. I copied zipslack8.1 from the Slackware website and unzipped it on the FAT 32 HD. Then I had knee surgery. My knee hurts, my laptop has no room for Linux and I cant use my desktop from my bed. When and if I get Slackware 8.1 operational I'll come back and tell you guys how I like it.
root
Gentoo + either enlightenment 17 (alpha stage) or fvwm =)
Revvion
Here is my top, ehh 7:
1. Debian
2. Ubuntu
3. Fedora
4. Mandriva
5. Mephis
7. OpenSuse
bboy_nycb
For a start, I think Knoppix is a very good distro because of the localisation and is ready to be used without making any change.
Then, comes Debian which I like the most mainly due to its very efficient package management.
tony
bboy_nycb wrote:
For a start, I think Knoppix is a very good distro because of the localisation and is ready to be used without making any change.
Then, comes Debian which I like the most mainly due to its very efficient package management.

Only problem I have with Debian is the length of release cycles. it seems they are always one step behind technology.
Nhoj
I've used almost everything in the past. Slackware, Redhat (and Fedora), Debian, Suse, Gentoo, and now Ubuntu.

When using a WM, I like Gnome or KDE, but I prefer a just a shell, usually.
kiranaghor
I used to like KDE when I had Fedora n SuSe on my PC. Then I switched to Ubuntu n started using Gnome. I tried Kubuntu also but I prefer Gnome. I think its Ubuntu coz of which I gave Gnome a try, otherwise I was a KDE guy. Another reason for using Gnome is gedit that I use for coding my C programs.
aditya_mukhopadhyay
Gentoo + XFCE

Will give Enlightenment a try once they release a stable version, and it enters the stable Gentoo portage tree.
sidewinder
mandrake linux and Kde.
Lindows is also very good
Jamatu
I'm currently using Fedora Core 3 and KDE for my server setup. Although I think one of the best setups would be Gentoo + a modifier XFCE, but I haven't got the time nor see the point in setting that up for a server box and i'm too stuborn to switch my main computer from windows to linux Razz
ocalhoun
SuSE and KDE! (and soemtimes windowmaker)
or
Redhat Fedora and Gnome.
wizdrag
at the moment my test machine is running Umbumtu. i liked the concept, and thought i would try it before OpenSuise. I agree that Umbuntu is not as easy to set up and customize as some distros, but it seemed to pick up all of my hardware right away.
sergio_ykz
OpenSuSE is very good, but I don't have a P5 Very Happy

Mandrake is cool and a litle faster.

Slackware is the faster and my prefered, but I to hard to try. Twisted Evil

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I use the three linux above, I have used Corel Linux, Conectiva (now Mandriva), Fedora, Red Hat, and other. And its are my favorites.
MasaSuman
I use Fedora3 Linux distribution with KDE Environment.
Fedora3 comes with all the utitlite like APACHE,MySQL ,Postgre SQL database and also PHP Support.
sergio_ykz
Ohh... The GUI.

I use rarelly, my prefered is KDE, always.
aciminsk
Debian (Thoug wasn't easy for the first timer. Had manually edit some configuration files) and KDE. Playing with freeBSD now. Liked it. No problems with installation. KDE came up without any additional configurations. Sure takes some efforts to configure as server.
DCLXVI
I am currently using Mandriva 2006 and KDE, i try to use gnome, but it just doesnt have the ease of use im used to. I want to move to SuSe, but im 28.8K so that'll have to wait...
Arno v. Lumig
SuSE + KDE.

It's the easiest to configure linux (imho) because of that program called "YaST"

Greetz, Arno
DCLXVI
I am currently using Mandriva 2006 and KDE, i try to use gnome, but it just doesnt have the ease of use im used to. I want to move to SuSe, but im 28.8K so that'll have to wait...
thelfc
I can honestly say that I've tried 'em all from LFS to Xandros and I like my Slackware box running KDE.. stability and speed.. Razz
dsauxier
Distro : Ubuntu
Desktop : Gnome
Light Desktop : XFCE
AlexNet
As a Server, I always use SME (E-Smith) Linux v5 or v6. It is an amazing all-in one server, comes with an extensive control panel via ssh or https.
Right now I have it running on an old Pentium 133 with 32megs of ram and a 30gig HD, and its been running for about 3 months with absolutely no problems at all.

For the Desktop linux flavour, I would have to say Mandrake (Mandriva now) 2006 edition. Ive always liked the user-friendliness of Mandrake, and now they've made it even better in this new version.
Atomo64
Debian Sarge with KDE
nevillethenerd
I run a Red Hat shop. Mainly because their support is just SO good. And we're a very secure site and can't have any downtime. Also, Red Hat have just achieved some major security accreditation AND given that they worked with the US NSA on developing SeLinux they are a must have for us. However, I have been looking at Novell's last 2 releases of SuSe and I like what I see, a lot. Plus Novell have a long and illustrious history of making superb Network Operating Systems. At Home I use Fedora although I'm going to have a rebuild soon and run VMs on VMware ESX Server. er... anyone know what this platform is built on? I'm willing to bet it's a Linux OS under there.
vnieto
I use a Knoppix 3.8 And i Have very well result.

Have a suse Linux 9, but I prefer 7.0.

Also Fedora, but fedora for server use, I don't use Fedora for personal Use
Atomo64
vnieto wrote:
I use a Knoppix 3.8 And i Have very well result.

Have a suse Linux 9, but I prefer 7.0.

Also Fedora, but fedora for server use, I don't use Fedora for personal Use

lol, that is very strange... some people usually use some other distros like debian for servers and red hat (or similiars, like fedora) for personal use. But anyway... everybody chooses what they want, and as I said before, I use debian sarge, but now I'm upgrading to etch because I need some newer versions ... I think that you know what I'm tqalking about Wink
ezekiel_rage
i use Mandrake 10.2 on my machine and for my 2 yr/old son uses a hard disk installed Knoppix 4
mrblah
Gentoo and Fluxbox. I can run it on anything x86. I'm not talking about running it on a toaster that has a MIPS processor but it's still fun to see it on a 60mhz Pentium.
nevillethenerd
Fedora for a server? Why do you do this? Fedora is RH's bleeding edge test bed, an advanced beta if you like. Now, I've never had Fedora Core die on me but RH themselves states explicity that it's not as stable [nor intended to be] as RHEL. Install the CentOS compilation of RHEL if you want a free yet stable secure RHEL server, but please, put Fedora in its place as a desktop with the latest packages etc. NOT on a server.
Unmindful
I use Ubuntu for Linux.
darth_pyro
I use Mandriva 10.1 with KDE on my main computer, Mandriva 10.1 in init 3 (no GUI) on my development machine, and I keep a copy of DSL (Damn Small Linux) with me. I like to use Mandriva because, obviously I can install things to it. Every time there's an update to DSL, you have to get a new disk, there are no "upgrades". Otherwise I would install it on my HDD, because since it loads the entire OS into memory, it is fast as hell.
Bones
SuSE 10 with KDE. I've never tried Gnome, just kinda stuck with KDE after using Mandrake and Kubuntu...

Novell's newest dekstop, XGL, looks pretty sweet though, if you havent seen it yet, search google for XGL demo video..fully 3d rotatable desktop, with some sweet ass effects. OK, yes I know, it's just eye candy.
Nolt
UBUNTU+GNOME and nothing more SmileSmile its just beautifull Very Happy (fluxbox is a preety too Smile
sircrojicek
Toshiba A50-522
+ Fedora Core 5
+ Gnome
-------------------
Just great !

Smile
tuncay
In my opinion everybody should be using GNOME since they're the true "free" software, and for the distro it depends on the user's experience. An experienced user might prefer Gentoo. Of course Debian is a very good distro too. But for the very basic user, I think FC is the ultimate choice.
nevillethenerd
I've got a VM of ubuntu but it seems very messy in its organisation and nothing special when it comes to either bundled packages or performance. Am I missing something obvious here? Or it just this month's 'cool' distro?
{name here}
nevillethenerd wrote:
I've got a VM of ubuntu but it seems very messy in its organisation and nothing special when it comes to either bundled packages or performance. Am I missing something obvious here? Or it just this month's 'cool' distro?

It's GNOME. Fluxbox or KDE will give you something more special. GNOME I'd say is a pretty ugly and somewhat badly designed GUI compared to XFCE(very fast), Fluxbox, or KDE(slower, but with a lot of eye candy)