FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i have an ecs k7s5a pro with problems..[ ..::SOLVED::.. ]

solarwind
i have 256 mb of sdram and windoze xp pro boots fine... but does not boot when i have a 1 gig sandisk cruiser mini inserted.

ok... next problem...

i tried to upgrade the ram to 256 mb of ddr ram and do a fresh installation of windoze xp pro it would not get past a few messages and it would just stop. After i guessed and disabled acpi aware os in the bios, everything worked fine. of course, i wanted it to turn off comp when i click shut down, so i put back the original sd ram and acpi works, but back to the problem of not booting up when the usb pen drive is in.

NONE OF THESE PROBLEMS EXIST WHEN I DO A FEDORA CORE 4 (LINUX) INSTALLATION.

is this a windoze problem? or is it a problem with the bios that somehow linux bypasses?

please help...

all help is much appreciated. thanks!
n0obie4life
moved to computer problems and support.
orno
i would say just disable the "access USB on boot" in your bios (if yours has that function) ...and about the RAM problem....are u sure your motherboard accepts DDR RAM? and if it does, is it of the right frequency?
Naif
Hi. Your post is contradicting. At first you said you have 256 MB of SDRAM then you say you tried upgrading it to 256 MB of DDR Ram? The ECS K7S6A has three DDR slots which supports DDR266 and DDR 333 modules. Whats the specification of the module you tried to install? First of all, please make clarifications to your post
solarwind
Naif wrote:
Hi. Your post is contradicting. At first you said you have 256 MB of SDRAM then you say you tried upgrading it to 256 MB of DDR Ram? The ECS K7S6A has three DDR slots which supports DDR266 and DDR 333 modules. Whats the specification of the module you tried to install? First of all, please make clarifications to your post

um... it has 2 ddr (the ram with the 1 hole on the bottom side) and 2 sdram (the ram with the 2 holes on the bottem side) slots, so four in total. i didnt use them together

this is copyed from the everest diagnostics... it shows the slots... its copied directly from the program, as it has detected...

Motherboard Name ECS K7S5A Pro (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)

my original ram is 1 x 256 MB pc133 sdram.
solarwind
orno wrote:
i would say just disable the "access USB on boot" in your bios (if yours has that function) ...and about the RAM problem....are u sure your motherboard accepts DDR RAM? and if it does, is it of the right frequency?

im not sure about the frequency and my mb does not support "access USB on boot" enable/disable. And yes, my mb accepts ddr and sdram.
Naif
Ok. I guess you made a typo error during your first post. You wrote K7S6A instead of K7S5A. Tell me something, are you trying to use the SDRAM module and the DDR at the same time?
solarwind
thanks for reyplying

and yes, i did make a typo, thanks for pointing that out its a K7S5A. and no, im not trying to use them at the same time. I only ever tried to use them by themselves.
solarwind
HEY!! i found the problem!!!

for the first one, the usb problem, all i had to do is disable "try other boot devices" and all my os booted fine while the usb drive was inserted at boot time

also, i found the solution to the ddr problem

i just had to adjust the CAS latency and other stuff and make it faster and it booted fine!!!

thanks for all your replys!