FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleep

LandShark
Just a random thought, are you unconsious when you are asleep or not. I think you are, because you dream and when you dream you have no idea whats going on and you dont feel pain. So y ou have to be
Marston
Ever heard of Lucid Dreaming? I'm pretty sure that's like being consious...
LandShark
No i have never heard of lucid dreaming. What is it?
Jack_Hammer
You are unconcios when you are alseep yes.
Soulfire
You go through a cycle of REM and regular sleep. I'm not sure if you are unconscience per say, but you aren't controlling anything voluntarily.
iridios
LandShark wrote:

Lucid dreaming is a dream state in which the dreamer is aware that he is asleep and dreaming and usually can take conscious action within his dream. Sometimes though, the dreamer is aware but unable to act. IMO, these usually end up as nightmares.
narc
Ask yourself the opposite: are you conscious?

If you have no control of your voluntary muscles then you are unconscious.
northcoast
I know that i'm concious when I sleep. I can hold conversations with people when i'm sleeping... I remember them kinda when I wake up too. I guess I'm always just half- asleep
iridios
narc wrote:

That line of thought doesn't work either. It is possible to be consious and have no control over your voluntary muscles. There are documented cases of patients who have awakened during surgery completely paralyzed due to powerful muscle relaxants. They couldn't even scream as they felt the surgical tools cutting into their body.

Consiousness is a state of awareness, not action.
madsencarl
You sometimes dream when you get knocked out. Therefore, dreaming comes from a state of unconciousness, and so if you dream when you are asleep, then you must be unconciousness.
madsencarl
iridios wrote:
narc wrote:

That line of thought doesn't work either. It is possible to be consious and have no control over your voluntary muscles. There are documented cases of patients who have awakened during surgery completely paralyzed due to powerful muscle relaxants. They couldn't even scream as they felt the surgical tools cutting into their body.

He had control of his brain though didn't he?
bazranz
Do we dream takes us to another question. Is our existence just somebody elses dream, or are in a permanent dream state. How can we be sure of either.

Descartes may have had the answer when he said "I think therefore I am.", but even that logic means that if something doesn't think it doesn't exist. Does that mean that any living thing which does not have a sentient thinking process isn't real?

Is anything real?
chennai
I am unconcious during my sleep.Any normal person would be un concious during sleep.It is only a natural thing
kamote
I have weird dreams. Thats what I can tell you.
soulman
iridios wrote:
LandShark wrote:

Lucid dreaming is a dream state in which the dreamer is aware that he is asleep and dreaming and usually can take conscious action within his dream. Sometimes though, the dreamer is aware but unable to act. IMO, these usually end up as nightmares.

I usually got these kind of nightmares.....
Davidgr1200
This thread is a bit difficult ot follow as nobody here has defined what they mean by conscious. It's one of those words which is very difficult to get an exact definition. If you define it as "awake" then obviously you are not conscious when you are asleep. For eample at:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=conscious
one definition is:
Mentally perceptive or alert; awake

The first one at the same site is:
Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts

Usually when you are dreaming you are not aware of the environment, but you are aware of your own existence!
So I guess whether you are conscious or not when you are sleeping depends on your definition of conscious.
thegamecreator
Quote:
Sometimes though, the dreamer is aware but unable to act
isnt that like sleep walking? cause i sleep walk when i dont sleep for like a couple days...and its wierd like it feels like a dream and you have no control over it but you remember it.
Srs2388
Yeah, Id say it just depends how far asleep you are
if your not sleeping good I think you are concious indeed
if our sleeping really good however, but thats just what I think
iridios
madsencarl wrote:
iridios wrote:
narc wrote:

He had control of his brain though didn't he?

The brain is not a voluntary muscle!
narc
Regardless of what you have control of, the answer to your question is "Yes, when you are asleep you are unconscoius".
Animal
I don't know... unconscious is a very strong word.

For example, if you are hit on the head and knocked unconscious, people can touch you and shout at you and you wouldn't ever know. If you are asleep then you are technically conscious of noises and disturbances around you (otherwise alarm clocks wouldn't work!)

Why does it have to be classed as a level of consciousness anyway? What's wrong with just plain asleep?