FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CVS server on Windows

snowboardalliance
I'm starting a php project some time soon with a friend and wanted to use CVS. I have windows xp home and found cvsnt http://www.cvsnt.org/. I haven't tried it yet, but when I was reading through the installation http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips, I couldn't figure out how I would allow someone from a remote location connect. Can anyone explain this to me?
clogfan
Actually, there are different protocols to access a cvs server from another machine. I think the most known is the "pserver" protocol.

If you are using Eclipse as your PHP development environment, then you can the CVS-support that is built into Eclipse. In that case, you open the "cvs" perspective (menu : Window -> Open Perspective... -> Other..., and choose "cvs repository" in the dialog box).

Then the cvs perspective opens up. Activate the "cvs repositories" view, right-click in it, and select the menu New -> Repository location... Eclipse opens a dialog, where you have to fill in the parameters :
- host : the IP-address (or DNS hostname) of the machine where the CVS repository is located (that machine must of course be accessible from the other machines). Sample :
Code:
cvs.mydomain.com

- repository path : the path where the repository is located. Sample :
Code:
/TEST

- user : the userid to access the repository. Sample :
Code:
myname

- password : the password belonging to the user. Sample :
Code:
mypassword

- connection type : choose "pserver"
- port : the default port number is 2401, but if you configured your configuration for using a different port, then you can fill it in here. Look out : if the machine with the cvs repository is protected by a firewall, then that firewall must open up port 2401 (or your properly chosen portnumber) !!

That's it, you should now be able to access the CVS repository from whatever machine.

If you want to access the repository from the command line (Eclipse is lots and lots more userfriendly !!), then you can do it like this :

- Open a command line window
- Type this :
Code:
set cvsroot=:pserver:myname@cvs.mydomain.com:/TEST
(or if you choose another port number :
Code:
set cvsroot=:pserver:myname@cvs.mydomain.com:2433/TEST
)
- Type this to log in :
Code:
cvs login
, and enter your password at the prompt
- Verify with a cvs command :
Code:
cvs ls -l -R
(this should give you a list of the files in TEST/CVSROOT)

Of course, in this case, you need a cvs client installed, and it must be accessible from the PATH (environment variable). It can be found on the cvs site (http://www.cvshome.org/), or perform a search in google using "cvs client windows", and make your choice (there are several graphical cvs clients in the field).

Good luck !
snowboardalliance
I set it up on my computer and was able to connect locally, but can I allow someone else to access the repository from a location not on my network? the documentation on this part is pretty vague so I wasn't sure how.
clogfan
You can do it of course. But you won't find a lot on cvs about that, because cvs has nothing to do with that...

Preconditions :
- the machine must be reachable from the network the other machines are on : if you want it accessed through the internet, you'll need a public ip address; if you want it accessed from an internal network, then it should work as long as the network is configured appropriately
- the port 2401 (or other port if you changed this setting) must be open; so if you have a firewall on your machine, or between remote machines and your machine, you should configure it appropriately to let it pass all traffic to/from your cvs server

Try it by using the above instructions, and you'll know...

Good luck !
snowboardalliance
clogfan wrote:
you'll need a public ip address

And how would I get this?
Also, is there anyway to make it secure, like so only a certain IP is allowed to access my computer?
clogfan
You get an IP address automatically from your ISP. To find out what is the IP address of your computer, go to the "start" menu, choose "run" and type "cmd". A command line window opens. Type "ipconfig"+ ENTER, and he'll show you your IP address.

Don't forget : your ISP will probably change your IP-address from time to time. ISP's do this to make sure no-one runs a server without them knowing.

To make sure only some other pc's enter your computer, you could setup a firewall, and configure it to only accept some IP-addresses on some ports for some protocols, but that's another discussion...

GOod luck
snowboardalliance
Nevermind, I found out the public IP problem can be solved by using port forwarders (I'm on a router). Still need to make sure it works but I think it's all set up.
justinrs32
clogfan wrote:
Actually, there are different protocols to access a cvs server from another machine. I think the most known is the "pserver" protocol.

If you are using Eclipse as your PHP development environment, then you can the CVS-support that is built into Eclipse. In that case, you open the "cvs" perspective (menu : Window -> Open Perspective... -> Other..., and choose "cvs repository" in the dialog box).

Then the cvs perspective opens up. Activate the "cvs repositories" view, right-click in it, and select the menu New -> Repository location... Eclipse opens a dialog, where you have to fill in the parameters :
- host : the IP-address (or DNS hostname) of the machine where the CVS repository is located (that machine must of course be accessible from the other machines). Sample :
Code:
cvs.mydomain.com

- repository path : the path where the repository is located. Sample :
Code:
/TEST

- user : the userid to access the repository. Sample :
Code:
myname

- password : the password belonging to the user. Sample :
Code:
mypassword

- connection type : choose "pserver"
- port : the default port number is 2401, but if you configured your configuration for using a different port, then you can fill it in here. Look out : if the machine with the cvs repository is protected by a firewall, then that firewall must open up port 2401 (or your properly chosen portnumber) !!

That's it, you should now be able to access the CVS repository from whatever machine.

If you want to access the repository from the command line (Eclipse is lots and lots more userfriendly !!), then you can do it like this :

- Open a command line window
- Type this :
Code:
set cvsroot=:pserver:myname@cvs.mydomain.com:/TEST
(or if you choose another port number :
Code:
set cvsroot=:pserver:myname@cvs.mydomain.com:2433/TEST
)
- Type this to log in :
Code:
cvs login
, and enter your password at the prompt
- Verify with a cvs command :
Code:
cvs ls -l -R
(this should give you a list of the files in TEST/CVSROOT)

Of course, in this case, you need a cvs client installed, and it must be accessible from the PATH (environment variable). It can be found on the cvs site (http://www.cvshome.org/), or perform a search in google using "cvs client windows", and make your choice (there are several graphical cvs clients in the field).

Good luck !

Agreed 100%. Something like what I would have said lol.

Besides, Good luck anyway!

-Justin