FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MAC OSX on PC's!!!

shaulhadar
now that we know that apple uses intel chips, what do think is better? an apple-intel computer.....or a mac or a pc??
eday2010
When I get a new computer, I will seriously consider getting an Apple computer if I don't build my next computer myself. Apples are cool Smile
blake
Apple! Apple alll the way!
They beat pcs in design and security. They have a bunch of mac programs that are outrageously cool, not to mention the os itself. Only problem is running some stupid windows programs because they're only made for pc and are essential for whatever reason. But even then, just run virtual pc and you can actually run windows on your mac. Just make sure you have quite a bit of ram for that. At least 1gb and you can have a mac and a pc in one.
benwhite
Well with new intel-based macs, you'll be able to run windows as an alternative to OSX. So, instead of Virtual PC, you can actually run windows programs natively instead of with emulation. While I'd choose OSX as my primary, I wouldn't mind a windows partition to run a few specific progs.

My only qualm with macs just disappeared.
Jack_Hammer
Personally I am not a big fan of apple, I think that people should use Linux.
erlendhg
I like pc more. I'm soon getting to build my own computer.
pawelsz
I like PCs, but... Apple rulez Cool When I was a child, I played many games on Macs. Now I have one PC and a very old Apple PowerBook 180c. I use this PowerBook to play the games I played when I was younger Smile I'm now searching for a cheap PowerBook G3 or iBook G3...

MacOSX on PCs? It may be interesting. But this doesn't mean that PCs will spped up Rolling Eyes Or maybe I'm wrong...?
ocalhoun
I have heard that it is possible to run macOS on a PC by using a specially hacked BIOS chip. Is that true?
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
I have heard that it is possible to run macOS on a PC by using a specially hacked BIOS chip. Is that true?

I don't think you even need the hacked BIOS chip. Apple's just launched their x86 Mac computers, so if you got an OSX install DVD, you could easily (but illegally) install OSX on a PC.

Someone's done this already and posted about it in the Computer forums, why not take a look...

http://frihost.com/forums/vt-16777.html
evilryu530
thats hellacool!!!! i think apple is finally trying to hit a bigger market
cepher
Apple all the way.

I build my pcs ( I currently have 8 running computers in my house...3 Macs, 1 Linux Server, and 2 pcs, and 2 IBM Laptops)

I love my apple. I've been with them all my life. I have every iPod.

I do like linux...Have SuSE 10 and a couple of ubuntu disks.

But apple is king in this town.

I just bought my apple dual core notebook today.
Platform
Apple all the way...they simply rock, rock solid OS and great machines Very Happy
meaniegeanies
I believe that till now and for a couple of years, Apple Mac's are the most robust systems.

Personally, I tried installing a MacOS (Tiger) on a PC and I think that it is and will be for a couple of years less stable than windows.

Time will give the answer! Smile Smile
Petee
I like the Mac OS better than the actual computer hardware. Most are all in one piece and they look nice, so what. They're also expensive compared to PCs. It would be a lot cheaper to build a PC, than buy a Mac. However, running the mac OS on a PC might not be that bad, if it's possible.
Helios
Yea, this russian guy released a special patch that alows you to use MAC OS X on PC.

I don't have a DVD R, so my friend will burn the disc and we'll install it.
Hope it'll work Very Happy
broken2144
meaniegeanies wrote:
Personally, I tried installing a MacOS (Tiger) on a PC and I think that it is and will be for a couple of years less stable than windows.

Apple only supports OS X on their hardware. They did not develop it to run on unapproved hardware, so you should not expect stability on your PC.
bdoneck
I hate apple and mac I'm satisfied with regular pcs with intel chips and linux
gianx80
I think that now PC is the platform with more applications, so, in my opinion, everyone must have a PC and in addiction a MAC.
{name here}
blake wrote:
Apple! Apple alll the way!
They beat pcs in design and security. They have a bunch of mac programs that are outrageously cool, not to mention the os itself. Only problem is running some stupid windows programs because they're only made for pc and are essential for whatever reason. But even then, just run virtual pc and you can actually run windows on your mac. Just make sure you have quite a bit of ram for that. At least 1gb and you can have a mac and a pc in one.

Security?!!!! OpenBSD - the securest OS in the world you can get for free is a PC OS. PCs can be cuztomized much more internally and externally than a mac(heck, with a bit of tinkering you can get the entire PC in one box), and are in fact more powerful and cheaper than a Mac(apple doesn't give you a monitor. PCs that cost at the same price range give you the same quality monitor included). Windows can achive Linux-Like security simply by adding a Limited User account, nullifying 99% of windows viruses without the need for a AntiVirus. With Wine, you can run most Windows Apps for free for Linux, BSD. In fact, you can get a compatability layer for Mac OS API for your PC, I'll bet, and it will(would) perform faster since it won't require to run windows inside a VM.
thiamshui
Apple can never run on a PC.. their machine code is different and your processor won't be able to understand it..
bassgs_17
I have linux on both my iPod and my XBOX, and Windows on my PC, but MAC is the only way to go if you do large amounts of video editing. All hail iMovie!
-Aquastrike
SMCentral
i also make my own computers
i have 5 mac, 2 linux and 10 PCs

i buy new computers and PIMP it out, i also PIMP out my friends computers alot i once made my friends computer run fast i also have a shop for people to bring there laptops etc in and i can get rid off viruses and may be PIMp it out.

but in all my years with PCs i truely think there the best for everything, MAC is good for music, movies etc and well linux well i don't use it that much so i don't have any thoughts about it.

PCs= 6/10(if not PIMPED out)
MACs=5/10
LINUX=2/10

Who thinks i should make a TV show called PIMP MY COMPUTER lol vote please
misomichael
{name here} wrote:
Security?!!!! OpenBSD - the securest OS in the world you can get for free is a PC OS.

Umm, are you actually familiar with OpenBSD? It's not a "PC OS". Yes, it can run on PCs, but it also runs on 15 other platforms, including the previous PowerPC Macs. In fact, Mac OS X itself is even based on FreeBSD, which while not as secure as the OpenBSD, is still a lot more secure than most Linux installations are without extensive hardening (see projects like Bastille Linux for an example of that).

{name here} wrote:
Windows can achive Linux-Like security simply by adding a Limited User account, nullifying 99% of windows viruses without the need for a AntiVirus.

That's an exaggeration, but yes, Windows is much more secure if you run from a Limited User account. Thing is, probably more than 90% of users are running as Administrator, because they don't know any better. Straight out of the box, Mac OS X is already set up to run in limited mode and prompts you for administrator's authorization before doing anything important.

I'm not an Apple fan myself, and I use PCs for about 80% of my programming work, but I look at any software on its own merits, even that most complex software of all -- an OS. And I can honestly say that OS X is the most solid and secure CONSUMER operating system out there. Anyone with tech savvy can improve just about any OS they're willing to tinker with, but much as I hate to admit it as I don't like a lot of Apple's tactics, they've succeeded very well with OS X and I give them credit for that. I hope Microsoft takes some notes for Vista, because it's time to put an end to the mess created by all these wide-open default installations of XP that keep getting hijacked and turned into spambots and worse.
jaysen
i still find all the hype over virii kind of funny to be honest. I've run pc since 97 and never had a virus except for one of my own that kind of blew up one Very Happy

A little bit of common sence goes a long way to keeping your computer virus free
edallica
macs are like a toy. they play videos, you can surf the web play music etc. but as soon as you actually need to do something with them you've no chance cause the program you need only runs on windows.

OSX is intended only to look cool. i really believe that the whoole "its secure" thing is non-sense, its jsut that less people use macs so no one writes for them. this may alll change if mac grow in popularity tho.

when vista comes out it will look as cool as osx and be compatible with everything as well as being much more secure than previous windows versions.

compatibility means a lot.
guissmo
mac.

can i install the mac osx on my (not apple) pc?

i just went to my friend's house and it rocks.
although i need to get used to it though.
rightclickscott
I'm an avid MAC user, but when it comes to online gaming, I have a nice PC for all of my First Person Shooting in F.E.A.R, Half-Life 2, and Battlefield 2, and for all my MMORPGing antics in Dofus and WoW.
bassgs_17
I agree, Mac just doesn't have the games that Wind0w5 does. All hail iPod linux!
-Aquastrike
junodark
PC. I can build a rig far superior to the top of the line Apple for less, including a spiffy looking case that has more style then the whole "convert the world to cute" thing.
James007
Moved from general chat to Operating systems.

James Smile
Kd527
Of course Mac is still better in my opinion. The Intels just gave them more power. :p
~ MC ~
yea the intel chips just gave them more power. 4 times faster i think?

Can't wait for the powermac G5 intel core duo...hehe

But for now it's mac mini for me.
guissmo
hey! sorry for starting another topic about this. i wasn't able to see this topic a while ago...

so... how do i install a Mac OS on my PC?
what are the risks?
{name here}
You can't install OS X on a PC unless you have a cracked version. I cannot tell you where to get this cracked version because it is illegal to do so.
If you manage to find it, I've heard that it has a lot of trouble with nVidia graphics cards and other devices. The real risk is if a fed is recording the IPs, you'll be impisioned.
ryanh2006
Yeah a cracked, illegal version of OS X on a PC is useless. Not only is it wrong because Apple forbids it, its wrong because the Mactel's TPM chips was by passed, and its obviously wrong because its a cracked OS! Legality aside, it looks like it needs a hell of a lot of work to get it working and when (if!!) it does work important things like the OS Autoupdate don't work. I have always been a mac user and now that the new Intel based macs can legally dual (triple, or even quad boot if you are OS crazy!!!) boot I think that $500 for a Mac Mini is without a doubt the best solution for a PC users who has always wondered how a mac handles. Believe me, you won't regret it! Wink
liam79
Quote:
macs are like a toy. they play videos, you can surf the web play music etc. but as soon as you actually need to do something with them you've no chance cause the program you need only runs on windows.

OSX is intended only to look cool. i really believe that the whoole "its secure" thing is non-sense, its jsut that less people use macs so no one writes for them. this may alll change if mac grow in popularity tho.

when vista comes out it will look as cool as osx and be compatible with everything as well as being much more secure than previous windows versions.

compatibility means a lot.

I'm sorry edellica, that response doesn't make much sense. It seems to me that the application type that is lacking most on the mac platform, games, is the very thing that would classify a computer a toy.

Mac OS X is an incredibly robust UNIX operating system, based on FreeBSD, with secure open-source kernel. It has the strength and flexibilty of UNIX, but with Apple's attention to look, feel and elegant simplicity (when desired). I can always drop into my terminal window and have access to the full scope of command line functionality. There are very few things that I need to do professionally that I can't do natively on my mac. And i'm not a designer/artist/film student.

The claims about Vista also need to be qualified, as it's release date has just been pushed back again. If when released it competes well with OS X, i should hope so, because OS X has been in circulation for years now.

I love to engage in informed debate on this issue, as I am the first to admit where Windows and Linux have advantages over Mac (linux more than windows) - but let's not tarnish this debate with blind and unqualified support of our own preferred platforms.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Can't wait for the powermac G5 intel core duo...hehe

I know what you mean but that doesn't make any sence a g5 intel core duo. wow. You just mean a Intel powermac. Probably be more then a core duo. Will be a intel core quado.

You need to do a lot of stuff to get it to work.

You must buy the software. Have 2 hard drives. Install it on one hard drive using pearpc. or something. I read a tutorial on it but I don't remember. Anyway. Every time you look at someone who is running it on thier x86 computer You will always see 2 hard drives.
cubi
I have a pc running mac.
Everything works.
You cab get the image requireied from the BT sites, Mininova and etc.
Xeniczone
I have a mac running macintosh Very Happy

I do know how to do it I will show you how to do it.

You must tell me 3 things first:
Does your cpu have sse3 support? (new p4 or amd64)
Is your cd/dvd-rom a NEC drive?
Do you have a legal copy of mac?

First you will need a cpu with sse3 on it. This applies to pentium 4's that are 3.0ghz or more. or amd athlons that are 2800+ (that is the basic thier are more but I had to give an example of cpus that have them)

Macintosh OS X will not boot up on a NEC or Toshiba drive. I have tried both of them and for some reason macs don't like them. And the fact that NEC is a cheap drive.

Do you have a legal copy of mac. You will be shocked to know that probably about 70-80% of all mac users that are running Mac OS X on their mac are running it illegally. Apple are started to crack down on these fools who are going to hell. You can face charges of $250,000 or 5 years in prison for breaking copyrights.

To prove to me you do have a legal version of mac. Layout the cd and the software lisence that came with your mac on a desk, and lay a peice of paper riped from a full peice of paper on top of it that says your internet name.

If your going to be an... (butt) about illegal software and operating systems and compare it to downloading a few songs of the internet hear this. There is a difference between downloading a $0.99 song 5 times then it is to steal software that is worth over $100 dollars. I will admit I have downloaded songs in the past but I have never done such a thing as steal windows or mac or someones wallet that is just wrong. Sure illegal is illegal but I haven't downloaded a song since then.

[quote={name here}]You can't install OS X on a PC unless you have a cracked version. I cannot tell you where to get this cracked version because it is illegal to do so.
If you manage to find it, I've heard that it has a lot of trouble with nVidia graphics cards and other devices. The real risk is if a fed is recording the IPs, you'll be impisioned.[/quote]

Yes, a bios based computer (PC is not a good term because pc mean personal computer and a macintosh is considered a personal comptuer to all you unsmart windows (censered) out their.) can't read the Mac OS X disk untill it is put into a bios based pc format and burned on a bios based pc. The openfirmware based pcs (mac) can read all format that I have tried I have burnt in windows and played on mac fine but when I burn in mac. windows will not read it.

Your risking a lot of hardware loss you have the personally build your computer from scratch making sure every component is Apple supported.
This means ATI graphics Intel cpu A none NEC or toshiba drive. IBM or Seagate or western digital hard drives Those are the only ones i have tested and got results from. STill may be more.

Your putting your self through hell and you lose 1 THING 1 THING THAT MAKES A MACINTOSH A MACINTOSH. Do you know what it is? No it isn't the case. No it isn't the keyboard or mouse (though that mighty mouse is pritty cool) No it isn't the cussing out the mac because your favorite tv or graphic card doesn't work on mac based hardware.

Have you guess it yet HUH. It is the apple chime. When you first turn that computer on and here that chime you know your booting up a pure apple computer. Not some peice of junk bios based pc with 1001 and stickers on it. One that says Designed for microsoft windows (WHO CARES MINE says that and I use linux on it WTF) (One that state you have a Intel or Amd cpu (duh that is one reason I bought this computer) another that states you have a ATI graphics card( good for my computer)
iammarty
i use os from Microsoft for 10 years( Since DOS5.5)
Last year i bought Apple iBook G3 (2nd hand) from my friend. i never use it before. until now almost 6 months i can say Mac OSX is very powerfull.
if in the future i don't have enought money to buy new Apple computer. i'll PC and use Linux not MS windows. Very Happy
jimbronie
I spoke with a mac sales person just last night. He told me he had xp loaded on his macbook pro and ran some higher end games and they ran flawlessly. He did say the beta of boot camp does have a few "issues". The biggest one he mentioned was when running bootcamp/xp if the computer gets dropped (god forbid) or sudden movement it will cause the hard drive to scratch.

I think on the new macbook pro's they have that instant parking hard drives, and this is not yet implemented running xp.

The one thing he couldn't answer is if bootcamp will run vista when it is released.

Guess we will just have to wait, but since 2001 I am mac all the way, and if they are going to be able to run windows and osx why would anyone ever buy a pc that can only run windows?

Jim
alexjbarrett
Good to see that the Mac verses PC debate is still going on.
I've always used a Mac but have had to get a PC for work, you can't run Access on a Mac Crying or Very sad
SO these days, I only use my Mac when I want to have some fun.
jimbronie
alexjbarrett wrote:
Good to see that the Mac verses PC debate is still going on.
I've always used a Mac but have had to get a PC for work, you can't run Access on a Mac Crying or Very sad
SO these days, I only use my Mac when I want to have some fun.

Me too. I got tired of hearing my wife and kids moan that this app or that app does not run on the mac. (even though there are better more comprable apps ont he mac). So I went out and got the kids (wife included) a $500 pc laptop. Does all they need it to do and i don't have to hear whining anymore.

Actually just recently I had my first major hard drive issue under os X. One of those Siblings links errors. Couldn't get it fixed so I had to erase and start over. I was able to extract all the vital files off the hd before I re-formatted. (Whew!). But after running on a mac since circa 2001, that being the first issue is pretty good. When I had my 98se and ME pc, I had to reinstall twice within the first 3 years. But of course that isn't necessarily a fault of Windows, but it does make you wonder sometimes.

A dual boot mac would (and hopefully will when I get one) make my life (at home) a lot easier.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with access. I am hoping to delve into that realm soon, since it seems the a good chunk of the computing world revolves around access.

Jim
Xeniczone
You do understand running Mac OS X on a computer not that of Apple is illegal.

If you steal the software you are facing a 125,000 fine or 5 years in prison.

If you buy the software your breaking the Lisence agreement.
Dustylunchbox
it sure is wrong to rip off apple i mean surely most of us have pirated things but doing it to apple well thats just wrong.

I live for mac and would want to do everything on mac . . . . . . . . . . . except playing games because there are more games availible. but still acs just feel better to use everything is cleaner, smoother and jsut nicer to use maybe allitle more expensive but i think its definaley worth it.
xeroed
I just read a reveiw about boot camp for Mac OsX and my favorite line was
Quote:
I wonder how Apple can make a better driver install in BETA form for a competitor’s OS than the competitor can make for any system their OS is designed to run on.--http://www.macwindows.com/bcreview.html
refering to the Drivers disc for windows that is created by Boot camp beta when it is run...

I just got a mac and I love it!

the way I hear it too Windows runs faster on a mac.
deiphobus
Windows users have always envied Mac users. They copy the look and feel of Mac OS X, which I think is really really sad. I find it futile to copy something that wasn't meant to be. How proud can someone be when they show their computer with an ugly look-alike desktop. The Mac OS X interface is more than themes and windowsblinds, it's about the experience you get from it. Sheesh.
jongoldsz
I think that the apple intel computer is the best. I think that it was proven that windows runs best on the apple intel computers, but I don't remember where.
jung
I AM GOING TO BUY MAC
xeroed
jung wrote:
I AM GOING TO BUY MAC

good for you. What kind? why? maybe something more then just the fact that you're buying it cause the way this looks your just trying to raise your post count. I am the proud owner of a macbook pro. I've been away from it for three weeks and we are just getting back together. It's been emotional to say the least.
kenny121
Apple Mac are very beatutiful