FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Exporting to Excel and formatting textarea

rohan2kool
I have used phpMyAdmin and it's export feature allows me to export databases in the word and excel format. Well, I'm surprised as to how it can do that and wud like to introduce the same in my apps. Please help.

Also, i've seen gmail has completely formatted the text box i.e some text appears bold, some underline, some in red, just like a word processor. How does it do it??? I am amazed..
kv
I don't know about the exact excel and word format in which phpmyadmin is exporting, but microsoft has recently released a open xml format for thier office documents. That is, the documents will be actually a xml. And the format is open. So it is as simple as creating a xml file.

As far the text area goes, you can use rte http://www.kevinroth.com/rte/demo.htm
rohan2kool
Hey thanks a lot d00d. I saw that it was truly a xml file. So, now i too am exporting Excel & Word files from my php scripts. Thanks a lot.

But, as for formatting the textarea, the textarea formatting is working only in Internet Explorer and not in Opera, whereas the Google's formatted textarea works in both... (not tried in FF or Mozilla)