FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet problem

xmartinez
Hi, i`ve got a small problem with my windows. After reboot, everything works properly, ICQ, download, web but after some time (few hours), it is impossible to use internet for browsing webpages. Everything else works (again ICQ, Skype etc) but no Explorer. Have you any idea what is wrong?

Thanks
Aiz
Can you be more specific? what Windows are you using, by explorer I assume you are talking about IE, and what do you mean it's impossible, is it the load time of pages or is IE itself freezing up/crashing or what?

Since things like ICQ and other forms of internet chat programs, don't use much in terms of bandwidth wise, it's either your connection (losing packets or the like), or it's an IE adware/spyware overload. The safest way to check is first by pinging a site like google and see how the response time is, then get an adware/spyware remover (or an anti-virus soft, but I never found those good with these things) and do a detailed scan and see if there's anything bogging down your IE or hogging your internet.

Thats as far as I can say with the information given since there are so many different types of IE problems

(I will say this: FireFox forever~ Give it a try =P)
george7004
I had the same problem... then I asked a friend on AIM to e-mail me the Fire fox 1.5 download through my mozilla thunderbird and it works good Smile
elcyron
xmartinez wrote:
Hi, i`ve got a small problem with my windows. After reboot, everything works properly, ICQ, download, web but after some time (few hours), it is impossible to use internet for browsing webpages. Everything else works (again ICQ, Skype etc) but no Explorer. Have you any idea what is wrong?
Thanks

if skype works without any loss of quality it's probably not a bandwithproblem. have you tried different browsers, like firefox or opera?
if you want to stick with the IE (which i realy wouldn recomend) make sure you're up to date with security updates and stuff.

next step would be to raise the loglevel of your firewall for a moment and see wether your explorer is receiving packeges (or sending requests in the first place)
Ironz
Try scanning your computer for spyware or viruses. It'll most likely be spyware, and if you find it was indeed a spyware then download a good Anti-Spyware which will block most spyware from getting on your computer.
xmartinez
Thanks a lot, suppose it was some spyware, had to reinstall windows, now everything OK, i`ll try Norton Firewall - do you think it`s good against spyware?
fayettemat
i thinkn you have the wrong mind set spyware is tiny programs that spy on your computer and you download them your self just like viruis, but a firewall is intended to keep people out of your computer unless you want them in and i'd go for Zone Alarm Pro, i have NIS 2005 and dont like it so dont go with norton its a pain in the ---- if you know what i mean!
Animal
You don't need Zone Alarm Pro to keep out Spyware. A firewall (such as the free zonealarm) is essential to keep your PC secure, as is an Anti-Virus (try AVG Free too) but to stop spyware installing on your computer, download Microsoft Anti-Spyware and enable real-time protection.

You should also run other spyware scanners every week or so to keep your computer clean - you should also scan for viruses at this time interval too... just to be sure.
elcyron
keep in mind that evenif you have a firewall, antivirus, antyspyware etc your computer still might become unstable.
not every problem that is solved by reinstalling is caused by spyware, it's just the most popular answer.
sometime drivers conflict, sometimes software f*ckes up your registry...
tightening your PC is a good thing to do, it might just not be the right thing to solve your problem
fayettemat
Animal wrote:
You don't need Zone Alarm Pro to keep out Spyware. A firewall (such as the free zonealarm) is essential to keep your PC secure, as is an Anti-Virus (try AVG Free too) but to stop spyware installing on your computer, download Microsoft Anti-Spyware and enable real-time protection.

You should also run other spyware scanners every week or so to keep your computer clean - you should also scan for viruses at this time interval too... just to be sure.

aren't you forgeting Ad-Aware SE? its a good program from lavasoft and it is free unless you get the upgraded version which offers adwatch
SirDuncan
you can try firefox web browser. It is secure, lite, anti-spyware, and FREE.

http://www.mozilla.com/

Wink