FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Someone from Japan(college question)

Eyre
I'm aiming right now to go to college in Japan. Preferebly Tokyo University, most likely in the Engineering program. I know it's going to be extremly hard to get accepted, but i'm willing to work extremely hard.I was mainly asking:
1)How much money would a semester/year cost?
2)Are the people in Japan accepting to Americans? For example, i wouldnt get kidnapped, raped, and mugged at the same time on my first day there would i?
3)(maybe someone from US)If i completed my college there, and came back to the US, would it be hard for me to find a job back here?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
wumingsden
There is crime everywhere so their is no need not to go to Tokyo. I know that some qualifications (i.e - medical degrees) can be, and I believe have to be, converted to the equivalent in the country that you want to work.
S'all I know
*parakiss
its going to be very expensive, living in a dorm or apartment is going to be epensive, on top of that there's tuition and needs etc..

try going to the website, maybe they have a section for internationals and what the costs and requirements are. If not the best way to find out is by asking local universities to inquire
Eyre
yeah i've been to their site more than a few times...i havent scoured it enough to find the costs, but i do know that they have some kind of international student scholarship, so i'll look into that.
alkady
I don't need to be from Japan to answer you this, Based on what its like in the US, Heres what I concluded.

A. The chances of being raped, kidnapped is up to you, Are you going to cross a crime alley or walk on the safe side? The Japanese just like in any other nation will hate/love you. Dont mistake me here, Plus if you ever run into some trouble you can always try to reach the closest US Navy base in Japan, The US has around 35,000 Marines since the end of WWII.
Plus you wont get mugged. Trust me if your ever mugged its your fault for going on the wrong path, The mugger would have mugged someone else if you took a diferrent path.

B. What isnt expensive theses days if you decide to attend a prestigious school. Harvard is expensive and quite the school. Your averages must be 80% if you want a high chance, You can get in with a 70% but most likely will be the last to be considered. So if you have a 100% average and scored high in your College Examinations you will be 1st to be considered. Also because your a foreign pupil, Your fees will be 2x more than what they charge, It may be diferrent. Japan is expensive so you might want to bring alot of cash, Toyko is one of the most expensive place to live in.

C. Usually it depends on the employer. If the company will recognize your diploma, you will get that job with that company. Since Tokyo U is a prestigious school what do you think? Obviously youll get a job anywhere in the private sector, if you plan to work for the government then thats more of a pickle then working for the private.
no_face15
You probably know this since you've been looking into japan, but they are generally behind european folk in their treatment of women. My female friend who spent time in Japan's buisiness environment, came back because she found that they would grab women in the workplace and all kinds of things we'd call sexual harasment. The japanese are very horny people in her eyes. My cousin on the other hand taught english in japan for a few years and really liked it, he didn't notice the gross lack of women's rights in the school place, but they'd both agree that for women it might be a bit of a culture shock, like traveling in time almost. Women need to know their place more.
alkady
no_face15 wrote:
You probably know this since you've been looking into japan, but they are generally behind european folk in their treatment of women. My female friend who spent time in Japan's buisiness environment, came back because she found that they would grab women in the workplace and all kinds of things we'd call sexual harasment. The japanese are very horny people in her eyes. My cousin on the other hand taught english in japan for a few years and really liked it, he didn't notice the gross lack of women's rights in the school place, but they'd both agree that for women it might be a bit of a culture shock, like traveling in time almost. Women need to know their place more.

The treatment towards women have been horrible pratically in everypart of the world. In Muslim countries womens have to hide themselves, In Pakistan a women who commits adultery is raped, In the world Women are raped, harass ect. Its funny that people want the benefits but just can respect it.
soulman
sure you have to spend a bloody of money study there, although you may find a part time job. and besides, i dont really think it's easy to find a job after you back to US.
jemmus
Tokyo is very safe. You would have to do something pretty stupid to become a victim of a crime there.
To get into any Japanese university you have to take the Japanese language entrance test and get 1st Rank. It's a very hard test. Basically, you have to be near fluent and able to read a Japanese textbook without using a translation dictionary. In other words, it would take a lot of Japanese language study before being accepted into a national Japanese university such as Tokyo University.
As for the expense, I'd recommend checking with the nearest consulate of Japan about scholarships and exchange programs. The Japanese government offers a lot of funding for international students. Usually they are for short-term things, such as intensive Japanese courses.
Also, there's the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program(me). (JET Program(me). You go for a year and teach your language (English, French, whatever) in Japanese public schools. The money is pretty good, and it's a great way to learn Japanese language and about life in Japan. You have to have a Bachelor's degree already to be accepted into the program, though. The consulate of Japan will also have information about the JET Program(me).
IceCreamTruck
jemmus wrote:
Tokyo is very safe. You would have to do something pretty stupid to become a victim of a crime there.
To get into any Japanese university you have to take the Japanese language entrance test and get 1st Rank. It's a very hard test. Basically, you have to be near fluent and able to read a Japanese textbook without using a translation dictionary. In other words, it would take a lot of Japanese language study before being accepted into a national Japanese university such as Tokyo University.
As for the expense, I'd recommend checking with the nearest consulate of Japan about scholarships and exchange programs. The Japanese government offers a lot of funding for international students. Usually they are for short-term things, such as intensive Japanese courses.
Also, there's the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program(me). (JET Program(me). You go for a year and teach your language (English, French, whatever) in Japanese public schools. The money is pretty good, and it's a great way to learn Japanese language and about life in Japan. You have to have a Bachelor's degree already to be accepted into the program, though. The consulate of Japan will also have information about the JET Program(me).

* Like * Quite informative!