FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu LIVE CD

silliman
Hi Curious Seekers,

Today is a monumental day for me. For the first time since 1986 (when I was first introduced to Apple SE and IBM XT) I am experiencing "Open Source" -- Ubuntu LIVE CD.

I feel such intense liberation from the clutches of Bill Gates and Windows. I'm free at last to make other choice. This is the best of what we call the "free market" and competition.

Now I run WIndows XP for digital non-linear editing and Yahoo video conferencing; Mac G4 laptop for PhotoShop and now Ubuntu for "freedom" to play in the fields of the Internet Universe.

For those who would like to test the waters before diving in... You can download a free [lol... love that word ] copy from: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

Once on your desktop, drag and drop the Ubuntu ISO file to your CD copier application and (don't make the mistake I did the first go-around) burn an IMAGE (not a data file) to the new CD in your tray.

Once finished burning the image, just pop it into your boot drive (may have to go into BIOS to set boot sequence to CD drive) and restart your computer. Wait about 5 minutes for Ubuntu LIVE to load operating files in memory, and you're off an running in a brave new world!

(P.S. Don't worry about Ubuntu LIVE buggering up your Windows environment. Ubuntu LIVE does not change any of your orgininal set up files.)

What a kick!

Have fun with it.

Mark
wumingsden
Are you kidding, that donwload takes forever (although I'm still doing it)
ocalhoun
Other nice live linux on CD's:
SuSE live eval--- SuSE iso image download area
Knoppix--- knoppix download or purchase area

If you like these live versions, by all means install the full version. It will run far faster, and have more features.
desertwind
Hey silliman, congrats.

Now that you've breathed the first fresh air of freedom, I'm sure you are gonna stay with it.
mathiaus
wumingsden wrote:
Are you kidding, that donwload takes forever (although I'm still doing it)

Ubuntu can send you CD's if you register Wink
Thats how I got mine
wumingsden
The download has obviously finished now. I had seen something like that on the website but

a. I live in the UK

and

b. I'm under 16

so I wasn't too sure wether or not I'd be able to order one.
DRock
wumingsden wrote:
The download has obviously finished now. I had seen something like that on the website but

a. I live in the UK

and

b. I'm under 16

so I wasn't too sure wether or not I'd be able to order one.

You still should be able to order them. Since they are free, there is no CC check so age doesn't matter. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake I did and order 100 at a time. Granted, I gave them away, it cost me $16 dollars for them, and they weighed a ton.

Ubuntu live is ok, and even though i' a Ubuntu user, you only get the full use out of it when it is installed. Knoppix is the PERFECT live cd in my opinion. It mounts everything imaginable, has Samba Networking ready to go, as well as a host of other applications. And as well, you can install Knoppix right off the live cd, so no need to evaluate with a live CD, and then install with an install cd, all can be done at once.