FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How hard is it to make a user database.

phx777
Im working on a community website, atm its simple and only has the standard static website and normal forums (powerboard) but the next version is supposed to feature user database (age, location, etc), intergrated forums, personal messages, chat, etc. just how hard and complex is the programming behind all this? how much time do you think i would need, and is it possible to get it allready done and just change the interface part and the variables about the users etc?
krazycapital
Depending on you experience with the programming language, and if you worked on it 8 hours a day, you could probably have it finished in about a month. All additions, etc included. That's a pretty big project to undertake, so if you aren't super experienced I would reccomend pulling apart some code from www.hotscripts.com, or other site like it.
d34db0lts
it's not hard it's just tedious. seriously, if you decide to undertake this you're going to find out that you will be using the same code over and over again. i'm doing sort of what you want to do right now and what took me the longest was figuring out how i wanted it to look and how normalize the database. if you know what you want to put in the database and you already have the basic design than the coding wont take you that long. i mean, yea, it's going to take ME a month to do my website, but that's just because i'm only working 30 mins a day...so i think you could do it in two weeks. but it all depends on how experienced you are.

using scripts will help, specially if you've never done this before...so that way you learn how to do it, but i would recommend doing it all by yourself, just so you know what's going and you know the insides and outs of your website. it's quite rewarding.

i hope this helped. bye.
pakialamaers
In database programming, you can use ASP, ADO and SQL. JavaScript is also available, but its case sensitive features seems to be complicated. I was using VBScript for database, but it takes a lot of programming practise with MS Acces.
clip
PHP and MySQL is the easiest way here.

Code:

mysql> CREATE DATABASE mydatabase;
mysql> USE mydatabase;
Database changed
mysql> CREATE TABLE members (
       -> member_id SMALLINT(4) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
       -> first_name VARCHAR(30),
       -> last_name VARCHAR(30),
       -> username VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
       -> password VARCHAR(16) NOT NULL,
       -> street TEXT,
       -> state TEXT,
       -> country TEXT,
       -> inbox_id SMALLINT(4),
       -> PRIMARY KEY (member_id),
       -> UNIQUE (username),
       -> );

you should make a table similar to that then create another that supports the foreign key 'inbox_id' for the private messages.