FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any fans of good old adventure games?

phx777
Do you remember the best adventure games ever, they dont make them anymore but they were great heh, and you can still play many of them on the new PCs tnx to an open source development group

ScummVM (works on linux and windows)

Supported games (im sure some of this titles will trigger something in memory of some of the older gamers =D

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
The Dig
The Curse of Monkey Island
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword 1
Broken Sword 2
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Gobliiins
Inherit the Earth
Simon the Sorcerer 1
Simon the Sorcerer 2
The Legend of Kyrandia

Nice thing theyre also working on kyrandia series, hopefully they add 2 and 3 too, and i wonder if someone remembers the great titles like quest for glory and kings quest (actually, some of kings quests and qfg are remade and work on modern pcs (windows platform)

Also if youre a QFG check out www.hero6.com

(and btw beneath the steel sky is avaialble as freeware now and downloadable from web (released by authors, legimate)
Dorsk82
I am a huge fan of the old Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and so on Sierra adventures. I just found out about that ScummVM program last year sometime and dusted them all off and played them on my new 3.2 ghz machine! I blasted through Full Throttle in no time but it was a lot of fun!!!
sgwreviews
My favorite is Grim Fandango, but I also like the broken sword series.
polit
And sometimes (not so frequently) there were superb games in the last years. Syberia 1-2 for example, Broken Sword, Longest Journey...
Somewhere I heard that the incoming new Indiana Jones movie may based upon the story of the classical IJ and the Fate of Atlantis. I'm not sure about this, does anyone know something about that?
helk
own bs1 + bs2.

very happy that bs4 is planned! love lucasarts.

love nwn and kotor1+2 just as much tho.

really loved bass.
indeedwrestling
Yes. Lucasarts made terrific games. As did Infocom.

I've been playing Day of the Tentacle on my Mac (using ScummVM) and it's so wonderful. I wish more games like this still existed. I would have loved to see if a port of DOTT would have been possible for something like the SNES or even PS. *SIGH*
sgwreviews
How about Larry? The game series from Sierra, those were good too.
benwhite
Really enjoyed Fate of Atlantis. A real classic and way before it's time.

'member Shadowgate?
jarcelao
i am a big fan of the monkey island series... Very Happy
nunosilva
I liked monkey island too! specialy in monkey 1, where tripwood faced the other character in duel, and had to beat him in words!
other game I like was police/space quest series... they were so cool! never liked kings quest... legend of kyrandia was cool too!
Now games are point and click, not much like it was back then... :s
jarcelao
if you are a die hard adventure gamer, then you should try fahrenheit(a.k.a. indigo prophecy). it revolutionizes the point and click adventure style gameplay by using a movie like storytelling and unique game controls.

this one's a must-play game for any adventure game freak out there! Smile Cool
LordSata
hi all, i'd like the adventur game :DDD
I play with all the most famous adventure of Lucas Arts:

1) Maniac Mansion
2) Monkey Island 1 & 2 & 3 & 4
3) Indiana Jones And the Fate of Atlantis
4) Day of the Tentacle
5) Sam & Max Hit the Road
6) Full Throttle
7) The Dig
Cool Grim Fandango

and i'd like the newer game like these:
1) Faranheit
2) The Longest Journey
3) Post Mortem
4) Siberya 1 & 2
masterevil
i dont like adventures but i played sanitarium. I strongly reccomend it.
Ljsk
I really enjoyed Grim Fandango, it's one of my all time favourite games. Especialy the Rubecava parts. I've got the soundtrack to it somewhere around here, it's very good.
masterevil
i actually hate adventures but i cant deny sanitarium's beauty... Bestest adventure game i have ever played...

Once i played white chamber too. Anime graphics were far too good.

Note: as i know, none of them were created using SCUMM
linkman2004
I enjoy the original zelda and ALTTP. In my opinion those are two of the greatest old games of all time. The original Zelda simply because it got me into the franchise and ALTTP because it built off the original game and made it something truly incredible. Few games even today compare.
TheGreatDalmuti
I was raised on the original Sierra series (minus Leisure Suit Larry... thank goodness). Personal order of favorites:

King's Quest 6
King's Quest 4
Quest for Glory 3
Space Quest 5
Quest for Glory 1 (EGA)
Conquests of Camelot
King's Quest 5
Conquests of the Longbow
Space Quest 4

And so on and so forth.

Recently I've been on a kick for even older games, though, like Lode Runner and Dig Dug. Lucky for me, my personal system is a Pentium II with Windows 98 and a 3.5 drive, so I can still run them without going through DosBox or the like. Old games tend to go just a bit too fast on my wife's laptop. =)

I personally think that ::generally:: the puzzles and quests are more intuitive in the Sierra adventure games than, say, the Kyrandia series by Westwood.

Though even that sure beats mind-numbing shoot-em-ups.
benwhite
I would agree, the older Zeldas fall into the category, to which i would add Link's Awakening as another classic.

I would love to see a Fate of Atlantis movie--that was my first truly immersive gameplay experience. voices. animation. huge plot and story. puzzles. Good stuff all around. I loved it back in the day.
Natrualkiller
zelda was my life thats a great old game including diablo if thats old enof..... i love gaming Smile
rightclickscott
Adventure games were the pinicle of gaming at the time. The only problem is that adventure games nowadays are few and far between, and even if you can find one, it'll be horrible.
TheGreatDalmuti
This is for rightclickscott...

I agree that most if not all of the "new" adventure games are much less adventurous. Stupid, even. There have been a few good remakes, though.

One site, www.bigbluecup.com, is where somebody's created an adventure game engine, which is surprisingly easy to edit and create games with. On the downside, no big companies use it, so most of the links on THAT site are to people's I-made-this-on-my-own-PC-without-any-help games. In other words, they're really, really ghetto.

If you haven't already heard of them, try www.agdinteractive.com. They use the bigbluecup engine, but have made decent remakes of King's Quest 1 and 2. As for new games, I'm beat.

Anyway, these sites are both freeware / homemade cheap stuff, with nothing to do with warez, abandonware, etc. Good luck.
mugglesquop
Anyone remember the good old arcade game Metal Slug?? it used to be a wicked game. Found it the other day on NeoGen emulator. Its a great game, if u havent heard of it, GET IT!!! its a absolutely amazing game, being a old game the graphics arent great, but the game play, paticularly on multiplayer is awsum. highly recomended!!!

Good gaming

Peace
TheGreatDalmuti
Most major studios just don't produce good adventure games anymore. There are a few exceptions ("The Longest Journey" for example), but by and large they just don't get the funding they need.

Here's a little something I just found: www.kqix.com. A group called Pheonix is working on a REALLY good-looking fan-made sequel to the King's Quest series. It's not out yet, but it looks promising... I can't wait!

This sure beats those home-made fan games...
Thug
I used to play allot of adventure games before but later on i got more and more into action games.

Adventures i used to play -

Broken Sword 1
Broken Sword 2
Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 , 4
Full Throttle
Grim Fadengo
Sam & Max
Zack Mcracken << OLDSKOOL, used to play this either on Commodore64 or Amiga 600 system Very Happy

Thats about it yes, also Adventure freaks - Broken Sword 3 or wherever they are is coming out this year Wink
vediban
i didn't play too many old adventure games. But i want too.

But monkey island is my favourite game...

Confused
Timoses
Nothing can beat Indiana Jones and Monkey Island Very Happy

The only thing I hated about it that you always had to read so much,
and the "crappy" music.

But it's pretty cool and indicating the development of that time.
I remember that one part of Indiana Jones looked much crappier
than another one.
rightclickscott
TheGreatDalmuti wrote:
This is for rightclickscott...

I agree that most if not all of the "new" adventure games are much less adventurous. Stupid, even. There have been a few good remakes, though.

One site, www.bigbluecup.com, is where somebody's created an adventure game engine, which is surprisingly easy to edit and create games with. On the downside, no big companies use it, so most of the links on THAT site are to people's I-made-this-on-my-own-PC-without-any-help games. In other words, they're really, really ghetto.

If you haven't already heard of them, try www.agdinteractive.com. They use the bigbluecup engine, but have made decent remakes of King's Quest 1 and 2. As for new games, I'm beat.

Anyway, these sites are both freeware / homemade cheap stuff, with nothing to do with warez, abandonware, etc. Good luck.

Cool. I'll hit my guys up at Helix Digital to see if they want to try this. Sorry about the late reply.

I miss Grim Fandango.
Greeku
Hello guys, I would like to talk about my favorite action game, World of Warcraft, which would make us freezed while playing it.
slimviking
rightclickscott wrote:
Adventure games were the pinicle of gaming at the time. The only problem is that adventure games nowadays are few and far between, and even if you can find one, it'll be horrible.

I have to quote you.
The game market today is dominated by console-based games for an audience of teens.
laughable easy puzzle, and a lot of button wiggling
Crying or Very sad
ZeytinGrafik
I also enjoy older Infocom adventures like :

A mind forever voyaging, zork etc.

and some from LEVEL9 like lancelot.

also there were adventures by scott adams. (spiderman, hulk anyone?)