FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should we be scared?

Should we be scared of wars/bombings?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 10 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 20 ]
Who cares, they're not after me
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 38

Metaguy
This world is full of corrupt people, gangs, terrorists etc. Drugs affect peoples lives severly. Whats not saying we're next? Anytime, someone could drop on bomb on your city, destroying it. And war doesn't help, infact, in most cases it causes more death. What are we to do? We can't not fight back, but if we do, we'll endanger or kill more people. Should we be scared?
Sappho
Why should we? Can u do anything about it? Will the fear help u against what is prolly comming? The answer is easy, NO Smile So why be scared. Wink

Personally i dont care, maybe somewhere deep inside me i wish for an end of the world, better sooner than later.
digibluez
no bombing around my country so im not scared.and i have not planned any trios to other countries and probably never will.
a.Bird
I think whether or not you will be bombed or terrorized in your home sometime tomarrow or a year from tomarrow is beyond the scope of your possible rationality. I don't think many people saw the final bombing of the World Trade Center coming, which is partly why it was severly devastating. Like sappho said in a nutshell, it's more efficient to live positively and accept the chance of losing everything than it is to look over your shoulder constantly for something that may never happen in your lifetime. If it does happen, there was probably nothing you could have done to stop it.

Plus, when fear overwhelms you enough to give your human rights to an organization, that organization becomes an authority, and the more power you give them by allowing yourself to be scared by things, the stronger that authority becomes.
S3nd K3ys
Scared? No.

Prepared? Sure.
Srs2388
scared, no not at all if you spend all your time fearing and not preparing you will be screwed.....
Bondings
Unless you live in Iraq, I suppose that you have much more chance to die in a car accident than to die due to a terroristic attack.
Nutorious
My answer would be i dont know, its always a bad sign to be scared so hopefully not, but like the other person said prepared yes, i think there will definatly be more bombings in the world for sure, but the more bombings taht go on, the more America/England will want to do something back, i think iraq doesnt understand that, but i do think we went in mainly for the oil they had because they were a very unstable country, i would like to see what it would be like to live there, i would never actually go, because i would be scared >_>, but i dont think we know/knew what it was like there before, because all we here is the press and they arnt very reliable in my opinion
DizzyThermal
Absolutely not...

That USA has a very well trained Army/Navy/Marine System.

Also with our lastest technology we can sense when Bombs come and shoot them down...

Trust me. I don't think you as a individual shouldn't worry.
godam64
dont be afraid with war and bombs. you should afraid on god (if you have one). soon or latter we gonna die.
OnlyOneLife
I voted, "who cares, it doesn't affect me". lol. War is in iraq, bombing are done in major cities, I'm kinda far from it...
lockwolf
I voted there not after me cuz they arent. Besides, if they were after me, I would be carrying around an M-16 wherever I go!
babumuchhala
i would say one shouldnt care about it

WHY?
B'cos if one were to die he/she will die what may come.

So its utter rubbish to think abt it. Think positive man. Think Positively.
Nutorious
DizzyThermal wrote:
Absolutely not...

That USA has a very well trained Army/Navy/Marine System.

Also with our lastest technology we can sense when Bombs come and shoot them down...

Trust me. I don't think you as a individual shouldn't worry.

Yes maybe america has a good Army (britian has a better SAS Razz) But all countrys cannot stop every terroist attack, They maybe able to shoot bombs down (even though iraq doesnt actually couldnt send bombs over here) but when it comes to letting chemicals in the air which can be triggered only by smashing the case its in, it can effect 1000's and spread to millions..
TeK
I'm not. My country is pretty much ignored until people want to go on vacation....
SunburnedCactus
DizzyThermal wrote:

You can shoot missiles down, but I'm not sure about bombs...
gowtham1990
yes i also have a opinion
we shood get scared
Blademasters
As one other poster said. Scared? No. Prepared? Hell yes.
DX-Blog
The only country currently starting new wars over the last several years is the USA. Soooo.... let's have a look at what my country could offer them....

We have no oil... phew.
We have great technology on keeping water out, US ppl are currently even checking here and stealing our technology to prevent things like what happened with Katrina, but I doubt they would attack us whilst they could steal the technology peacefully as well.
Do we harbour terrorists? Mwuah, define harbour. If you mean we let people which PLAN to do suicide bombings walk freely on the street... then YES, since according to our justice system planning something like that isn't a ground for an arrest.
Let's have a quick look at what our country offers what doesn't fit within the US system: Prostitution, "legalized" drugs, gay marriage, abortion being no problem. Guess there is more than that, but too tired to think up of what all isn't tolerated/illegal in the US.

Soooo... To come short the US might attack us with as excuse "harbouring terrorists", also ofcourse there is currently a terrorist requested to be delivered out to the US. He was part of killing some US soldiers or lil' hill billies which were playing in Iraq wanting to slay some muslims, but well yeh, whichever it was, the US wasn't too happy about that. He declines that though and says he went there on a holiday and said he was forced into it Razz. So now our nice legal system is determing whether to or not send this guy over the US Razz.

Perhaps if they wouldn't like us the US will come attack us for it, w00t!!! Wink.

Then there is the new threat on the block, Iran, which is starting to produce uranium again. Go Go Iran!! Lol Razz. It dared to stand up against the wishes of the US... and I think the EU as well, but we are the modern aged hippies in Europe, whilst the US army in example is wasting countries first we directly send in troops to build the countries up without any wasting being part of it.

But well yeh, Iran says they want to use uranium as a power source, the US and such dun believe that, they think ATOMIC BOMBS!!!! So well yeh, now the question is:
When will the US invade Iran because they think they posses WMD Laughing. Better be quick, Iran is flooded with big bad muslims which are like big bad grey wolves, hungry to get some fresh american sheep with their big bad WMD Wink.

Then there still is Korea, ah the great country from which we all know that they have WMD but the country of which the US is too afraid to actually attack :p. Or is it because they have no oil? Whatever, that's an entire other discussion Wink.

Korea though isn't so different from america, ok, it has concentration camps of some sort, not much information about it.... But so does the CIA, so no difference on that. Korea owns WMD, so... like the US doesn't?

Which of those 2 is most dangerous towards me? I don't know any cases of the Korean goverment kidnapping Europeans from their home country and place them in one of their camps.... Of the CIA though we can't say this, after all there has been a reported case of this happening to a german guy, so not that far away from me. Kidnapped by the CIA for 4 months and had to survive in one of the US goverment's concentration camps for terrorists.

The US yet again is coming pretty close on this one to my country... That's becoming quite scary.

Now ofcourse, the London subway and bus bombings by terrorists was pretty close as well. I won't go saying that the US goverment arranged this Wink, but at least as far as we know those attacks weren't authorized by another country, so it's just a terrorist attack, not a decleration of war or anything. Also that doesn't give much to fear, just to be aware of.

So in the end, if I should be afraid of a certain country which might attack us, it would be the US.

Btw, it is also funny to see that I'm not the only one thinking the US will be the next country to attack my country. In a documentary made like just 8 months ago about what would happen if the USD would crash that resulted in the US declaring war on Europe for us no longer wanting to support them financially. I don't remember what the exact leads were from event to event, but it was a nice documentary and created in a pretty realistic fashion when it comes to what people would do.

The US seriously is the only country which I could actually think of of posing some sort of threat... Guess that directly shows the negative image the US has on me Wink.
Alein_Atryda_III
DX-Blog, I agree with you completly. US looks really bad in eyes of normal people from Europe, bah, even in eyes of US people.

They won't attack our country for now, because our goverment tries to be US friend ._. Unless US thinks we are lying:D

Some of things that US does is riddiculous... They see terrorists, atomic bombs etc. everywhere lately. Bah, maybe they were the ones to cause attack on WTC so they would have ground to attack others. Who knows...

Planning bad things isn't reason to go to become terrorist anywhere but in US. Well, we can complain but we cannot do anything about it:(

As for main topic - no, we shouldn't be scared of wars, same goes for death etc. If there will be war, well, there will be. If not, worrying about it whole life isn't the nicest thing to do.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
Unless you live in Iraq, I suppose that you have much more chance to die in a car accident than to die due to a terroristic attack.

This is true even in Iraq!
It's just that the liberal media don't publish every car accident like they publish every bombing.
lolz
why scared when we ourselves are all in the same gene pool, we could all be the next Osama Bin Laden or Hitler, there are a lot of things in this world to be scared viruses, polution, we are all gonna die eventually
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

It's just that the liberal media don't publish every car accident like they publish every bombing.

Oh yeah? I want statistics. Number of deaths by terror attacks vs number of deaths by car accidents.

I'm curious. You might be right, but I doubt it.
Sappho
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Oh yeah? I want statistics. Number of deaths by terror attacks vs number of deaths by car accidents.

In Iraq i would be mostly scared of these "accurate" American missiles that never strikes the correct target. I mean how lame is that, there is like hundreds of jokes about American superior technology going around in my country Smile
S3nd K3ys
DX-Blog wrote:
The only country currently starting new wars over the last several years is the USA. Soooo....

Quote:
War was declared on the United States of America
1,583 days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds ago.

Code:

List of wars 1990–2002

* 1990-1991 Gulf War
    * 1990-1992 Rwanda Civil War
    * 1990-1998 Tuareg Rebellion
    * 1991-2001 Yugoslav Wars
          o 1991 Slovenian War
          o 1991-1995 Croatian War of Independence
          o 1992-1995 Bosnian War
          o 1998-1999 Kosovo War
    * 1991-1993 Georgian Civil War
          o 1991-1992 South Ossetian war
          o 1992-1994 Abkhazian War
          o 1993 Georgian civil war, western Georgia
    * 1991-1997 Sierra Leone Civil War
    * 1992-1997 Tajikistan Civil War
    * 1993-1999 Burundi Civil War
    * 1994 Yemen Civil War
    * 1994-1996 First Chechen War
    * 1995 Cenepa War between Peru and Ecuador
    * 1996 Imia-Kardak crisis
    * 1996-1997 First Congo War
    * 1998-2000 Border war between Ethiopia and Eritrea
    * 1999 Kargil War
    * 1999-2003 Second Liberian Civil War
    * 2001- U.S. invasion of Afghanistan
    * 2001- Civil War in Cτte d'Ivoire

Sooo.... mis-informed much??

Here's another list...

Code:
Current Conflicts
Algeria   Insurgency   1992 -->
Angola   Cabinda   1975 -->
Burma   Insurgency   1950 -->
China   Senkaku Islands    1968 -->
China   Spratly Islands    1988 -->
Colombia   Insurgencies   1970s-->
Congo (Zaire)    Congo War   1998-->
Georgia    Civil War   1991-->
India   Assam   1985 -->
India   Kashmir   1970s-->
India   Naxalite Uprising   1967 -->
Indonesia    Aceh   1986 -->
Indonesia    Kalimantan   1983 -->
Indonesia   Maluku   1999 -
Indonesia    Papua / West Irian   1963 -->
Israel   Al-Aqsa Intifada   2000 -->
Ivory Coast   Civil War   2002 -->
Korea   Korean War   1953 -->
Laos   Hmong Insurgency   2000 -->
Moldova   Transdniester   1991-->
Namibia   Caprivi Strip   1966-->
Nepal   Maoists   1996 -->
Nigeria   Civil Disturbances   1997 -
Pakistan   Baluchistan   2004 -
Peru   Shining Path   1970s-->
Philippines   Moro Uprising   1970s-->
Russia   Chechen Uprising   1992 -->
Somalia   Civil War   1991-->
Spain   Basque Uprising   1970s-->
Sudan   Darfur    1983 -->
Thailand   Islamic Rebels   2001 -->
Turkey   Kurdistan   1984 -->
Uganda   Civil Conflict   1980 -->
United States   Afghanistan   1980 -->
United States   Djibouti   2001 -->
United States   Iraq   1990 -->
United States   Philippines   1898 -->
Uzbekistan   Civil Disturbances   2005 -->
Yemen   Sheik al-Houti   2004 -->
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

http://www.unitedjustice.com/death-statistics.html wrote:
The total number of people killed in highway crashes in 2001 was 42,116

And that's JUST in the US.

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docID=529396

Quote:
THURSDAY, Dec. 1 (HealthDay News) -- The number of deaths caused by traffic crashes in the United States and other developed countries is nearly 400 times greater than the toll taken by international terrorism, notes a study published in the latest issue of Injury Prevention.

400 times more car deaths than terrorist deaths.

Animal
The American government seem to be putting a lot of effort into making people fear terrorism. As S3nd K3ys rightly said though, you are 400 times more likely to be killed in a car crash...

...But you don't see messages posted on Government websites saying "Todays car-crash threat level is: Amber"

Makes you think...
S3nd K3ys
Animal wrote:
The American government seem to be putting a lot of effort into making people fear terrorism. As S3nd K3ys rightly said though, you are 400 times more likely to be killed in a car crash...

...But you don't see messages posted on Government websites saying "Todays car-crash threat level is: Amber"

Makes you think...

What it makes ME think is that most car accidents are just that; accidents. They're not deliberate attacks.

There's a difference.
Soulfire
You simply can't live life in fear, if you want to put it statistically you could fall off of a step and die just the same as you could in a terrorist attack. However, don't be laid back and let your guard down too far.

I voted 'no.' We have excellent defense systems, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
DX-Blog
S3nd K3ys wrote:
DX-Blog wrote:
The only country currently starting new wars over the last several years is the USA. Soooo....

Quote:
War was declared on the United States of America
1,583 days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds ago.

Code:
Blabla...

Sooo.... mis-informed much??

Here's another list...

Code:
Blabla...

Defenition of "war" perhaps is a bit ****** up in English, but when I mean war I mean the same as the defenition in my language has: Battle between 2 or more nations, countries (or royalties). So if we then take a look at what happened since 2000, so the last several years:
2001 U.S. invasion of Afghanistan
2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq

As we can see now the US is actually the only nation which has declared true war on a country if we don't count conflicts and civil wars, which in certain languages at least have different words for them Wink.

Btw, US is in conflict with Djibouti? Djibouti is like the only country/state in the sahara which allowed the US to build a military base for their war on terrorism. Was this being build under the peaceful talks of "let us build there or you're next?"
DX-Blog
Soulfire wrote:
You simply can't live life in fear, if you want to put it statistically you could fall off of a step and die just the same as you could in a terrorist attack. However, don't be laid back and let your guard down too far.

I voted 'no.' We have excellent defense systems, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Technically speaking... you won't die the same, seeing as to how terrorist attacks generally tend to squish you, blow you up, or just about vaporize you. When you fall of a step though this doesn't happen Razz.

Besides that, this also depends on the country in which you currently are. In example where I live there has never been a terrorist attack performed yet, so the chance is 0. The chance of dying by falling of a step though is actually there. Whilst if you would live in Israel the chance of dying by a terrorist attack would be bigger than finding a buck on the streets.
Animal
Soulfire wrote:

Fair point, but how can you as an individual let your guard down? How can your guard ever be up? Fair enough, you might see something suspicious and report it to the Police, but I don't think any person would be expected to walk around looking for something suspicious.

From that point of view, what is the point in a publicly published Terrorist Threat Level? Why would average joe ever need to know?
OutlawSpirit
just gotta keep livin... and not worry bout it... why worry bout it, it might not effect u really Laughing
Vrythramax
I wouldn't worry about terrorist attacks as much as I would a crackhead with a gun in my local convenience store (That almost killed me once). I like (not LIKE) the staistics that show your chances are 400 times greater to be killed in a car crash...reassuring news, but I wasn't worried about the terrorists anyway....now I'm scared of cars Wink I think the US is going to be plagued by smaller attacks against us for years to come, but I also think it's partly our own fault for trying to force our way of life on peoples that couldn't care less about us or our way of life. Granted, it's not right that we should be attacked, and I DO NOT support, nor condone any attacks. I was merely pointing out that we may have brought some of this crap on ourselves. I certainly don't like having to explain to my daughter what is going on in the world today, she is so full of unanswerable questions, I won't answer some of them for the simple reason....I don't want her living in fear either.
thiamshui
we should not be scared.. we should instead be prepared to face them.. if we have confidence in ourselves, nothing can topple us..
Raffles
If you are scared, the terrorists have won.

Just get on with normal life, they're not expecting that. Both the UK and US Governments are out to scare us too. Don't rise to it.
Gitesh
No because we indians have good laws against the guns and explosives., its very hard to obtain licensed guns and other ammunitionns,so its safer here than other western countries., but we do have more to fear from terrorists sponserd by our neighbouring countries and its becoming a daily headache., and we are striving hard to keep our porous borders strong.
TurtleShell
in my lifetime I've lived in the three largest cities in the US, and some other smaller ones. I just don't worry that much about bombings and terrorist threats. Sure, it's a possibility--and a scary one. But there's nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes i worry about aliens, like in Independence Day. I worry about getting stuck on the freeway as I try to escape the LA area. That would not be good.