FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Choosing a Distro

root
It's pretty damn obvious that Gentoo is the greatest OS that has ever been created. Followed by *BSD and then Debian. I don't understand why "noobs" should be stuck with a shitty distro like Suse or Ubuntu because they can't read a manual and install an OS. If you are new to Linux then you are probably switching to the this OS for a reason. Using a "noob" distro (Ubuntu, above all) just bypasses this reason.

And for all the noobs that were sad because I dissed their brown Ubuntu setup, you can cry more because all of the rest of your buddy noobs are too busy trying to fix problems in their pre-compiled shit software to care.

www.gentoo.org
Dino
i have gentoo, and i need 2 weeks to configure it, so i don`t think that gentoo is for new users :I ... you know what i mean
Debian is probably best distro
Animal
Root, what is your problem with Ubuntu? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that no-one else is allowed to use it.

http://frihost.com/forums/vt-22000.html

Your last post on the subject was an interesting discussion where several of the minus points you raised about Ubuntu were proved wrong by several users.

However, I'm not taking sides, and I'm not saying SuSe or Ubuntu are any better then Gentoo because I don't know. But maybe you need to stop spamming the forums with your anti-Ubuntu and anti-SuSe comments. Let users make their own choice as to what software they use on their computers and stop trying to dictate what everyone should and shouldn't do based on your opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion - you and others.
root
I'm just trying to spurr some conversation =P

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by dissing Ubuntu.

And my previous posts were about an earlier version of Ubuntu (w/e the gay name was). It's true that some of the things in my earlier posts have been fixed, but I don't keep up with the distro.

I guess it makes me mad that Ubuntu has such a big user base =( and people aren't willing to try out other distros. But hey, at least its better than Windows.
djclue917
It reminds me... Uhm, so what make Gentoo the greatest OS ever? Could you give us some factual reasons so that you could somehow convince us to switch to Gentoo? We are still waiting for your "recommendations" in this thread: http://frihost.com/forums/vt-22000.html
Kd527
I think that the best OS is more of the user's opinion. There's not necesarily a "best OS". (Although I think that OS X is pretty darn good.)
root
I would buy a OSX if I had the money, there's some software thats OSX-only that I wish I could use. But Linux works for me Smile
Animal
Kd527 wrote:
I think that the best OS is more of the user's opinion. There's not necesarily a "best OS".

Yeah - I'm totally with you on this one.

Personal preference and opinion... it seems to be something that root doesn't understand. I mean if he's
root wrote:
15 and A+ and Network+ certified, and currently on the MCSE track
then surely he's qualified enough to tell us all what Operating systems we can and can't use.

Rolling Eyes
gh0stface
root wrote:

I guess it makes me mad that Ubuntu has such a big user base =( and people aren't willing to try out other distros. But hey, at least its better than Windows.

If Ubuntu has such a huge user base, it obviously can't be THAT bad of a distro to use.

I always supported Ubuntu because of that. With such a big community, it seems like people are willing to help each other out.

I haven't really had time to play with Ubuntu, but the only quirk I have with it so far is the color schematics. :bleh:
corey
root wrote:
...I guess it makes me mad that Ubuntu has such a big user base =( and people aren't willing to try out other distros. But hey, at least its better than Windows.
I have to agree with your sentiment, but I think that its a bit too much of a stretch to expect anyone to try anything but the first distro they are exposed to. Remember that most computer users refer to the internet as "The Blue 'E'". Don't give people more credit than they deserve. Then, you won't be disappointed. And, hey, you're not alone in the "don't like Ubuntu" crowd, but I'd expect less dissing from a Gentoo fan than this. Usually, its the diehard Debianites who don't like Ubuntu, because they think that its taking developers away from their precious (disorganized anarchy) project, which its not. The code's contributed back and synchronized every six months, which is a better schedule than any other mainstream (at least binary) distro has been able to claim.
djclue917
Animal wrote:
Personal preference and opinion... it seems to be something that root doesn't understand. I mean if he's
root wrote:
then surely he's qualified enough to tell us all what Operating systems we can and can't use.

Rolling Eyes

Not quite. It's all on the user. The reason there are many Linux distros, GUIs, DEs, sound servers, browsers, etc. is for us to exercise our freedom to use, modify, and enjoy free software.

root, are you sure that you're all that? I mean look at the issues you had brought up here: http://frihost.com/forums/vt-22000.html like modem,sound, documentation, etc. problems in Ubuntu. And if you are really that good, then you would know that Ubuntu has a root account (BTW, what distro doesn't have one?).
bogden
the reason is time
(why n00bs don't use a better OS like gentoo)
it takes time to read a manual, and effort, even if it is the best written manual in the world.
LordSata
If you use Suse, you know Suse, if you use Mandriva, you know Mandriva, if you use Slackware you know Linux.......

I past for you the Announcement of Slackware 10.2, but at this time the 10.2 is exited a few months ago... now the packages are newer than this!

Quote:
Announcing Slackware Linux 10.2!

The second Slackware release of 2005, Slackware Linux 10.2 continues
the long Slackware tradition of simplicity, stability, and security.

Among the many program updates and distribution enhancements, you'll
find two of the most advanced desktop environments available today:
Xfce 4.2.2, a fast and lightweight but visually appealing and easy
to use desktop environment, and KDE 3.4.2, the latest version of the
award-winning K Desktop Environment.

Slackware uses the 2.4.31 kernel bringing you advanced performance
features such as the ReiserFS journaling filesystem, SCSI and ATA RAID
volume support, SATA support, and kernel support for X DRI (the Direct
Rendering Interface) that brings high-speed hardware accelerated 3D
graphics to Linux. Additional kernels allow installing Slackware
using any of the journaling filesystems available for Linux, including
ext3, ReiserFS, IBM's JFS, and SGI's XFS. For those Slackware users
who are anxious to try the new 2.6.x kernel series, it is fully
supported by the system. A precompiled Linux 2.6.13 kernel, modules,
and source code are provided (along with complete instructions on how
to install the new kernel). A bootable 2.6.13 kernel ("test26.s")
with support for most SCSI, RAID, and SATA controllers is integrated
into the installer.

From the beginning, Slackware has offered a stable and secure Linux
distribution for UNIX veterans as well as an easy-to-use system for
beginners. Slackware includes everything you'll need to run a
powerful server or workstation. Each Slackware package follows the
setup and installation instructions from its author(s) as closely as
possible, offering you the most stable and easily expandable setup.

Here are some of the advanced features of Slackware 10.2:

- Runs the 2.4.31 version of the Linux kernel from ftp.kernel.org.
Special kernels were prepared to support hardware such as SCSI
controllers, SATA controllers, USB keyboards and mice, parallel-port
IDE devices, IBM PS/2 machines with the Microchannel bus, and even
speech synthesizers providing access to Linux for the visually
impaired community. The performance of the 2.4.x kernel series
along with Slackware's track record of careful attention to system
security make it the perfect choice for running your production
servers.

- As an alternate choice, Slackware 10.2 includes Linux 2.6.13
source, kernel modules, and binary packages, along with the
mkinitrd tool and instructions on using it to install the
new kernel (see /boot/README.initrd). When running a 2.6
kernel, Slackware supports udev. This is a system for
creating devices in /dev dynamically, greatly reducing device
clutter and making it easy to see what devices are actually
present in the system.

- System binaries are linked with the GNU C Library, version 2.3.5.
This version of glibc also has excellent compatibility with
existing binaries.

- X11R6.8.2
This is the current release of the X.Org Foundation's X Window
System. The 6.8.2 version is a new release that includes
additional hardware support, functional enhancements and bug fixes.

- Installs gcc-3.3.6 as the default C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran-77,
and Ada 95 compiler. gcc-3.4.4 is available as an alternate choice.

- Support for fully encrypted network connections with OpenSSL,
OpenSSH, and GnuPG.

- Apache 1.3.33 web server with Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support,
SSL, and PHP.

- PCMCIA, CardBus, and APM support for laptops. (pcmcia-cs-3.2.Cool.
Slackware also now includes hotplug support. This locates and
configures most hardware automatically as it is added (or removed)
from the system. It also loads the kernel modules required by
sound cards and other hardware at boot time.

- New development tools, including Perl 5.8.7, Python 2.4.1,
Subversion 1.2.3, and graphical tools like Qt designer and KDevelop.

- Updated versions of the Slackware package management tools make it
easy to add, remove, upgrade, and make your own Slackware packages.
Package tracking makes it easy to upgrade from Slackware 10.1 to
Slackware 10.2 (see UPGRADE.TXT). The slackpkg tool in /extra can
also help update from an older version of Slackware to a newer one,
and keep your Slackware system up to date. In addition, the new
slacktrack utility (in extra/) will help you build and maintain
your own packages.

- Web browsers galore! Includes KDE's Konqueror 3.4.2,
Mozilla 1.7.11, and the immensely popular new Firefox 1.0.6.
(as well as the Thunderbird 1.0.6 email and news client with
advanced junk mail filtering)

- The complete K Desktop Environment (KDE) version 3.4.2, including
the KOffice productivity suite, networking tools, GUI development
with KDevelop, multimedia tools, the Konqueror web browser and
file manager, dozens of games and utilities, international language
support, and more.

- A collection of GTK+ based applications, including abiword-2.2.9
(upgraded from version 2.0.12 in Slackware 10.1), gaim-1.5.0,
gimp-2.2.8, gkrellm-2.2.7, gxine-0.4.8, and pan-0.14.2.91.

- Large repository of extra software packages compiled and ready to
run. This includes various window managers, support for 3Dfx gaming
cards, OpenMotif-2.2.2, the K3b CD burning application for KDE,
the Java(TM) 2 Software Development Kit Standard Edition,
libsafe (advanced buffer overflow protection for additional
security), ISDN support, additional 802.11 drivers, and much more
(see the /extra directory).

- Many more improved and upgraded packages than we can list here. For
a complete list of core packages in Slackware 10.2, see this file:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.2/PACKAGES.TXT

- Another Slackware exclusive: Slackware's ZipSlack installation
option is the fastest, _easiest_ Linux installation ever. ZipSlack
provides a basic text-based Linux system as a 48 megabyte ZIP archive.
Simply unzip on any FAT or FAT32 partition, edit your boot partition
in the LINUX.BAT batch file, and you can be running Linux in less
than five minutes. The ZipSlack installation includes everything you
need to network with Linux (including Ethernet, token ring, and
PPP), and extend the system with additional software packages such as
X. A ZipSlack system will even fit on a Zip(TM) disk, so you can
carry a personal Linux system with you to run on any PC with a
Zip(TM) drive.
Edited by Arin: use quote tags for quoting.
root
djclue917 wrote:
Animal wrote:
root wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Not quite. It's all on the user. The reason there are many Linux distros, GUIs, DEs, sound servers, browsers, etc. is for us to exercise our freedom to use, modify, and enjoy free software.

root, are you sure that you're all that? I mean look at the issues you had brought up here: http://frihost.com/forums/vt-22000.html like modem,sound, documentation, etc. problems in Ubuntu. And if you are really that good, then you would know that Ubuntu has a root account (BTW, what distro doesn't have one?).

That was all from previous versions of Ubuntu. I don't keep up with that shitty OS and I don't intend to because my information isn't valid with the most up to date Ubuntu.
devroom
3 reason to get ubuntu.
    You get free cd's
    Easy to install
    Has lattest version of openoffice

Is easy for linuxnoobs like myself
But as others above say,
if you want to show with your linuxpc, get gentoo
djclue917
root wrote:

That was all from previous versions of Ubuntu. I don't keep up with that shitty OS and I don't intend to because my information isn't valid with the most up to date Ubuntu.

Then why did you bring it up in the first place? That's the purpose of new releases. Right? To fix the mess in the older software.

Man, you just kicked your own ass. What a fool.
ocalhoun
I triple-boot SuSE 9.2, Fedora core 1, and win 2K.
I havn't noticed anything in particular that the distros you mention have, which mine do not. (except perhaps small size [I always install every package and all source code]).
If all the truly nifty configuration utilities fail, then I just edit the configuration files manually.
YaST2 is awsome.
technology.sponge
just cuz u don't like ubuntu or have had problems with ubuntu means its a peice of shit 4 n00bs

which distro is best depends on personal preference
root
WOW! Everyone stop hating on djclue he has feeling too!
djclue917
root wrote:
WOW! Everyone stop hating on djclue he has feeling too!

Oh man... You just wouldn't stop don't you? That kind of attitude separates intellectual people from barbaric ones... And BTW, if there's somebody being hated here, that must probably be you. Lastly, this will be my last reply to your non-sense posts and PMs.
root
lmao
gonzo
root wrote:
I don't understand why "noobs" should be stuck with a shitty distro like Suse or Ubuntu because they can't read a manual and install an OS.

read your own words again really slowly
Arin
root wrote:
lmao

in the matter of fact you are the only hilarious person here. people like you made using linux their relligion of life. you are just a fanatic.

computers were developed to serve people. it doesnt matter what OS someone uses as long as his needs are staisfied. I know a lot about linux, I know its advantages over windows, but at home I am using windows, not linux. becoz I value my time, and instead of wasting time on showing my sister how does it work, or looking various apps for linux, or trying to run run something from windows on linux through an emulator - I just prefer to read a book. and I am fully aware of my skills and knowledge, as well as holes in it. neither you nor bill gates nor linus torvalds wont make me to change my habits, becoz I know better whats good for me.
Quote:
I'm 15 and A+ and Network+ certified, and currently on the MCSE track. Feel free to PM me about anything computer related (hardware, software, linux etc...)
* you dont need to write that your 15. by reading your post everyone thinking can figure it out that your a kid.
* gentoo comes on two cds, mandriva on three and suse on five. I wonder how many cds would it take to make a bakcup copy of your ego. you arent a genius and if you wont learn some respect for other people you will never get far. think about it.

cheers,
Arin.
root
you moderate frihost forums, arn't you special
PuNGS
I'm a complete Linux newbie, and I installed Ubuntu first because it has a big community willing to help me. I don't think it's bad, at least it's better than Windows (the only two that I had contact) and I'm nice with my Ubuntu.

And by the way, what's the problem of using a 'newbie' (how you call it) distro? Don't you were a newbie someday?
solarwind
Animal wrote:
Root, what is your problem with Ubuntu? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that no-one else is allowed to use it.

http://frihost.com/forums/vt-22000.html

Your last post on the subject was an interesting discussion where several of the minus points you raised about Ubuntu were proved wrong by several users.

However, I'm not taking sides, and I'm not saying SuSe or Ubuntu are any better then Gentoo because I don't know. But maybe you need to stop spamming the forums with your anti-Ubuntu and anti-SuSe comments. Let users make their own choice as to what software they use on their computers and stop trying to dictate what everyone should and shouldn't do based on your opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion - you and others.

I agree, Ubuntu is not a bad distro, I also agree that Gentoo is great, Debian is great as well
Ryuukei
I must admit that I read only your first post, root, but it seems to me that you are just trying to impose your choice on everyone. If you do that, you might as well state some proper reasons about why you chose gentoo instead of other distros, rather than the generic other-distros-are-**** excuse. Did you stop to think that maybe they chose their distro 'cause it's what they wanted to use? Try telling me WHY other distros are ****, and then I might believe you, but as it is, until I have a good reason not to, I'm sticking to Fedora.
slgn
Imho for new user best is liveCD distro
billgertz
Have anybody heard about PCLinux? I tried to install it on my pc and man it was quick. Everything is automatic like the mounting of drives, regardless of the file type, PCLinux automatically mounts the NTFS from windows, its like the windows XP of linux distros.

The installation CD comes with the liveCD in one.

visit this site for more info:
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/
djclue917
billgertz wrote:
Have anybody heard about PCLinux? I tried to install it on my pc and man it was quick. Everything is automatic like the mounting of drives, regardless of the file type, PCLinux automatically mounts the NTFS from windows, its like the windows XP of linux distros.

The installation CD comes with the liveCD in one.

visit this site for more info:
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/

When considering more factors, I guess the Linux distro which looks like Windows XP the most is Linspire. When considering other factors such as the applications installed and other features, Xandros will probably be it.

Screenshots from OSDir:

Linspire
Xandros